Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

Revan

Assumptionman
Sure, whatever. Better than this carwreck of a thread, the result of almost ran PL teams thinking football begins and ends in 4 countries across Europe.
For most people, that is not an opinion, it is a fact. The vast majority of football fans care only about those league.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Sure, whatever. Better than this carwreck of a thread, the result of almost ran PL teams thinking football begins and ends in 4 countries across Europe.
Clearly they're right considering it looks like Brendan is jumping ship basically as soon as any decent PL club has come in for him.

In all seriousness, you do have a point. It sucks that all the power/attention is concentrated in the major leagues and there are plenty of other leagues across Europe with things to offer, and you're right that in general there's an arrogant attitude coming from PL fans (or just fans of teams in the top tier?) towards clubs/leagues they see as below them. Fans of lower league English clubs would know that better than anybody.

It's just a fact though that in the grand scheme of things, not many people outside of Scotland are going to care much about winning the SPL, clearly it doesn't mean much to Rodgers.

Bojan11

Not sure why people arguing. Brenton is using Leicester as a stepping stone because if he does well there he might have another crack at a top job like at Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs when their managers leave.

He wasn’t going to go from Celtic to another big job.

D4X73r

Imagine Rodgers going to Leicester and Liverpool not winning the title this year, just to see Leicester winning it next year with Rodgers.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'm surprised he took the jump so close to the treble-treble. He'll still be well-remembered by Celtic fans due to what he's done, albeit there'll perhaps be a tinge of bitterness, but three trebles in a row would've cemented him among the clubs greats. Without a doubt.

Although the Leicester job is objectively a decent one to take. He'll probably get some financial backing to improve them in the summer, they're fairly well-liked, and they've done poorly enough this season so that you'd generally expecting getting them do better next season won't be too big a task.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Not sure why people arguing. Brenton is using Leicester as a stepping stone because if he does well there he might have another crack at a top job like at Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs when their managers leave.

He wasn’t going to go from Celtic to another big job.
I think he'd have stood somewhat of a chance at a club like Spurs if he'd had another season like 16-17, but despite his achievements his Celtic side were often quite frustrating in the league and inconsistent.

The Purley King

Tell me something new.
I'm sure if I was Scottish then I'd have way more of an interest in Scottish football, but the question was about what club is bigger and its definitely Leicester. That doesn't mean that Scottish football is not worthwhile at all, just that it is going the way of most other leagues outside of England, Spain, Germany, Italy and France (PSG aside I think they could be lumped in with all the others). By that I mean in comparison the quality of football of those leagues is falling much further behind than it used to be.

It makes European football less interesting for sure, we aren't going to see Porto, Ajax, Belgrade etc win the CL any time soon.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Clearly they're right considering it looks like Brendan is jumping ship basically as soon as any decent PL club has come in for him.

In all seriousness, you do have a point. It sucks that all the power/attention is concentrated in the major leagues and there are plenty of other leagues across Europe with things to offer, and you're right that in general there's an arrogant attitude coming from PL fans (or just fans of teams in the top tier?) towards clubs/leagues they see as below them. Fans of lower league English clubs would know that better than anybody.

It's just a fact though that in the grand scheme of things, not many people outside of Scotland are going to care much about winning the SPL, clearly it doesn't mean much to Rodgers.
Most people in Scotland are aware of this as well, I've no idea why Rodgers would want to spend a few years at Celtic. It's a clear sign of a lack of ambition. I'm an Aberdeen fan and I've no idea why Mcinnes is still with us as he's taken us as far as he can.

The Purley King

I think he'd have stood somewhat of a chance at a club like Spurs if he'd had another season like 16-17, but despite his achievements his Celtic side were often quite frustrating in the league and inconsistent.
Not sure about that. The problem is that after Rangers' implosion Celtic were rightly expected to win every competition going. When Rodgers went and did exactly that, I don't think anybody was massively impressed. What did it prove?

I think he's a decent coach, David Brent jokes aside and he'll probably do pretty well for a year or two at Leicester. Pretty well being finishing 7th which is their probable ceiling.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Provided he can still find form, Vardy may be perfectly suited to Rodgers attacking style of football.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Good move for both parties, like others have mentioned, Leicester have some promising attackers and there's talent in that squad. Rogers is a good coach and his style of play suits those players well, I don't think he'll perform any miracles but he'll be a good appointment. There are a few very talented squads outside the top 6, the battle for that 7th spot over the next few seasons could be a interesting one. I'd say good luck but I don't really like Leicester or Rodgers.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Provided he can still find form, Vardy may be perfectly suited to Rodgers attacking style of football.
Agreed, they seem like a perfect fit. I think another who'll flourish will be R.Pereira, he's already very good but with Rodgers's style he could really kick it up a gear.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Rest of Scotland seem to fecking loathe Rangers.

I've been to a Hibs game and the biggest cheer of the day was when they were going through the other results on the tannoy after the game and announced Rangers had lost.
Yeah they're despised. Generally deluded fan base and bad behaviour on away days. Aberdeen can't get the safety certificates through in time to give them a bigger allocation for the cup game so thousands of Rangers fans are trying to arrange an organised trip to Aberdeen with the intention of causing havoc in the city. I'm sure no United fan needs reminding of what they did to Manchester at the Uefa Cup final either.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Not sure about that. The problem is that after Rangers' implosion Celtic were rightly expected to win every competition going. When Rodgers went and did exactly that, I don't think anybody was massively impressed. What did it prove?

I think he's a decent coach, David Brent jokes aside and he'll probably do pretty well for a year or two at Leicester. Pretty well being finishing 7th which is their probable ceiling.
Rangers had been out of the league since the start of 12-13 and Celtic didn't win a treble for four years until Rodgers joined. He not only won the treble but did so while literally only dropping a handful of points in the league - again, Celtic had been winning the league comfortably, but to do so while sweeping pretty much everyone aside was more impressive than what had come before. It also has to be considered that months before he joined, Celtic were knocked out the Scottish Cup by Rangers in the semis. There was an air of panic around the club once Rangers were back. Rodgers not only dominated with Celtic but regularly thumped Rangers as well.

You'd expect anyone decent to be capable of winning a treble with the resources he had, but doing so on three consecutive occasions would've genuinely been incredibly impressive - even big clubs will slip up from time to time, and so not doing so while also maintaining supremacy in the league would've been laudable. I doubt you'll see any replacement muster a similar feat.

SirAF

Ageist
Yeah they're despised. Generally deluded fan base and bad behaviour on away days. Aberdeen can't get the safety certificates through in time to give them a bigger allocation for the cup game so thousands of Rangers fans are trying to arrange an organised trip to Aberdeen with the intention of causing havoc in the city. I'm sure no United fan needs reminding of what they did to Manchester at the Uefa Cup final either.

Ruined the chance of an open top parade after Moscow :mad:

Djemba-Djemba

Yeah in general you can't really say an entire fanbase is toxic but there are certain clubs, thinking of Millwall and Rangers, where too many incidents happen.

They're horrible.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I used to live on King Street, right across from the Pittodrie bar. You always knew when Rangers were in town. Police presence was huge. The police horses used to be parked up right next to my flat. Weird that the police has to increase so significantly based the club of the supporters travelling up, more so than the quantity of supporters. Celtic always brought big, vocal support, but the police presence was the same as for any other club, bar Rangers.

I've heard stories about buses of Rangers fans stopping in Stonehaven and Lawrencekirk on their way home and generally twatting about there. Someone I know witnessed Rangers fans being a nuisance on Stonehaven beach a year or two ago, threatening a child and a pensioner IIRC. He posted about it on Twitter. Mob mentality took over and Rangers fans just hammered him. People who weren't even there calling him a liar and getting abusive.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Rangers had been out of the league since the start of 12-13 and Celtic didn't win a treble for four years until Rodgers joined. He not only won the treble but did so while literally only dropping a handful of points in the league - again, Celtic had been winning the league comfortably, but to do so while sweeping pretty much everyone aside was more impressive than what had come before. It also has to be considered that months before he joined, Celtic were knocked out the Scottish Cup by Rangers in the semis. There was an air of panic around the club once Rangers were back. Rodgers not only dominated with Celtic but regularly thumped Rangers as well.

You'd expect anyone decent to be capable of winning a treble with the resources he had, but doing so on three consecutive occasions would've genuinely been incredibly impressive - even big clubs will slip up from time to time, and so not doing so while also maintaining supremacy in the league would've been laudable. I doubt you'll see any replacement muster a similar feat.
Yep, this is a good point. It's incredibly difficult to keep motivating the players to continuously do that as they could easily relax (which they have at times) and slip up but Rodgers has built an immense domestic determination into this Celtic side that will be difficult to replace.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I don't get why so many people are offended by him moving mid season :lol:

At Leicester he gets
Bigger wage, bigger transfer budget, better league, better team (currently) and less likely to just sell his best players

So what it's mid season. Celtic will get a nice payoff, they've won many trophies cause of him.
If he was doing a bad job at Celtic, they'd sack him mid season, works both ways

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

At Leicester he gets
Bigger wage, bigger transfer budget, better league, better team (currently) and less likely to just sell his best players

So what it's mid season. Celtic will get a nice payoff, they've won many trophies cause of him.
If he was doing a bad job at Celtic, they'd sack him mid season, works both ways
Exactly. It's not as if an interim manager can't finish the job anyhow, they're fecking 8 points clear and it's Celtic in the Scottish League.

LoSpritz

Has anyone seen Leicester's last 3 fixtures?
This appointment could have a big impact on this year's final positions.
As well as on the profits of the tanning salons wherever he chooses to end up

Cloud7

At Leicester he gets

Apparently because Celtic used to be a big club and this is disrespectful to leagues outside of the top 4 leagues :lol:

Vadim

So basically as soon as Rangers become a proper opponent again, Brent can’t get out of there quick enough?!

He’s a charlatan. I could win the Scottish league as manager of Celtic, it’s a joke of a league.

He’ll do ok at Leicester if he can ensure they’re full of character.

RasTiaGba

Yeah in general you can't really say an entire fanbase is toxic but there are certain clubs, thinking of Millwall and Rangers, where too many incidents happen.

They're horrible.
Rangers and Celtic have 'sectarian singing'

The difference is the media in Scotland are favourable towards Celtic, so they report it more when Rangers sing songs that aren't allowed. But they don't report it so much when Celtic do.

Also the sectarian label also doesn't apply to the main word that's used to insult Rangers fans so far less Celtic fans get jailed for singing songs that are arguably sectarian.

I live in Scotland and I know for a fact there's less trouble from Rangers fans that Celtic. One example is Celtic fans away regularly break seats and Rangers don't. Another is Celtic fans threw a bottle into Rangers fans and hit a child trying to attend a match. Another is Celtic fans singing bad songs about Lee Rigby.

Celtic are regularly fined by UEFA for crowd trouble at home and Rangers aren't.

Has anyone seen Leicester's last 3 fixtures?
This appointment could have a big impact on this year's final positions.
As well as on the profits of the tanning salons wherever he chooses to end up
Well it doesn't involve us as we've played them twice already

Rafaeldagold

This move does beg the question due to the allure of the Premier League..At which point down the league table isn’t a step down from the Scottish Champions?

Bojan11

This move does beg the question due to the allure of the Premier League..At which point down the league table isn’t a step down from the Scottish Champions?
I’d say the championship has already overtaken the SPL. Teams have more money there then Celtic to spend. It’s a matter of time before league 1 clubs start getting bigger budget.

Bwuk

The difference is the media in Scotland are favourable towards Celtic, so they report it more when Rangers sing songs that aren't allowed. But they don't report it so much when Celtic do.

Also the sectarian label also doesn't apply to the main word that's used to insult Rangers fans so far less Celtic fans get jailed for singing songs that are arguably sectarian.

I live in Scotland and I know for a fact there's less trouble from Rangers fans that Celtic. One example is Celtic fans away regularly break seats and Rangers don't. Another is Celtic fans threw a bottle into Rangers fans and hit a child trying to attend a match. Another is Celtic fans singing bad songs about Lee Rigby.

Celtic are regularly fined by UEFA for crowd trouble at home and Rangers aren't.
I live in Scotland too, dislike both sides immensely, but can’t think of any neutral that’d agree with your opinion.

Member 115509

I’d say the championship has already overtaken the SPL. Teams have more money there then Celtic to spend. It’s a matter of time before league 1 clubs start getting bigger budget.
People often say that, not just on here, but how many Championship teams would be able to qualify for the group stages of the Champions League or Europa League ? I accept the overall standard of the SPL isn't great at all but Celtic can, and have, punched above their weight in Europe, I doubt if many Championship teams could do that.

Bojan11

People often say that, not just on here, but how many Championship teams would be able to qualify for the group stages of the Champions League or Europa League ? I accept the overall standard of the SPL isn't great at all but Celtic can, and have, punched above their weight in Europe, I doubt if many Championship teams could do that.
I’m speaking financially overtaken you.

But Celtic wouldn’t be run away leaders in the championship too. It wouldn’t be one way like the SPL.

The champions league question I can’t answer because it hasn’t happened. But all I can say is Parkhead and Celtic fans make a big difference in those home champions league games. That’s something those championship clubs will never have.

Bojan11

I can't remember if there were any other circumstances around it, but Neil Lennon left Celtic for Bolton, who were bottom of the Championship at the time
He didn’t.

He left Celtic in the summer and joined Bolton in October.

Kapardin

Absolute tit for leaving them right before the end of the season. I don't understand what was the hurry? What can he achieve at Leicester by joining them now?
Might be they offered him higher wages to join now as opposed to later.

Either way, good to have him back. He's a bit of a comedian, with absolutely no self-awareness. At the same time, he does get his teams playing decent football, so Leicester won't be boring to watch.

Djemba-Djemba

I reckon if you asked most people in Scotland and in indeed Europe which set of fans between Rangers and Celtic cause more trouble it'd be Rangers.

Don't forget I'm from Manchester, I saw what the Rangers fans did to the city in 2008. Disgusting scumbags.