Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

SambaBoy

I think replacing Vardy will be really, really difficult. Not just his goals, but I regularly watch Leicester, and it's almost like Leicester are 1 second away from being through on goal with Vardy. The CB's can be getting pressured in their own box, and panic and hoof the ball, and with Vardy it just needs a misjudgement from the CB or a ball with another depth and he's in on goal. He's very clever with his movement, if the CB's win it in the air and it falls to a Leicester players, that's when the opposition are very vulnerable because he will move into the gaps and it just needs a ball to find him.

Halftrack

Seem to have hit a nerve here :)

I'm not downplaying the achievements of your club, guys, just pointing out that:
a) It's much harder to consolidate than to build up (look at Liverpool)
b) He's never stayed at any club for more than 3 years, so he might be the kind of guy that needs a new challenge regularly to keep his motivation

I just named Arsenal as an example. Spurs might be a better option. Or even City at some point.
When you look at the clubs he's managed, and the circumstances around his departures, there's nothing there to suggest he needs to move to stay motivated. He's either been sacked or taken a clear step up.

Arsenal would be a step down. They're a club with no ambition to win a major title, they exist purely to generate profit for Kroenke at this point. Spurs would be a lateral move at best, and might well be a step down once Mourinho is done tearing them asunder. City would be a step up, but I suspect he's not fashionable enough for them. Think they're more likely to go for one of the fancy German lads once Pep decides that he needs another sabbatical.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Congerton doesn't run the transfers Jon Rudkin does, Congerton is basically chief scout, but even then he still doesn't ID all players they scout, that just wouldn't be possible
Thanks, thought Congerton had gone in above Rudkin. Cheers for clearing that up.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
It was laughable to read Leicester forum last season. The fans were jumping into conclusion, upset and blamed Brendan for bottling the top 4. :lol: They had no idea that they have a good quality manager, the problem was obviously Brendan didn't have bigger squad to allow him to have plan B and cover some of the injury players.
The Leicester fan forum can be a bit of a shite show at times. Some classy posters but lots of knuckle draggers.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Seem to have hit a nerve here :)

I'm not downplaying the achievements of your club, guys, just pointing out that:
a) It's much harder to consolidate than to build up (look at Liverpool)
b) He's never stayed at any club for more than 3 years, so he might be the kind of guy that needs a new challenge regularly to keep his motivation

I just named Arsenal as an example. Spurs might be a better option. Or even City at some point.
Most likely he would leave for one of the true giants of the game, but I don't see Arsenal or Spurs in that group anymore. Leicester is probably better run than both those clubs these days and I wouldn't be surprised if they maintain that lead for some time to come.

In saying that I wouldn't really say the Liverpool match was a great example of managing. Leicester were terrible for the first 75 minutes, pretty much incapable of keeping hold of the ball and on the balance of play probably should have been down by a few goals.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
A mediocre club doesn't win 8 trophies in 7 years and be regular participants in European competition. Of course we could do better especially this season but we're not mediocre.

Anyway I don't think Rogers is the right fit for Arsenal, although he'd do much better than Arteta is currently.
No offence, mate, but finishing 5th - 6th - 5th - 8th and currently being on track to once again finish way off top 4 is my definition of mediocre.

For a club of Arsenal's stature I mean, obviously. You managed top 4 every single year for two decades until 2015/16, so these last five years have been very mediocre if not outright terrible, never mind those cups you've won.

Guy Incognito

Gotta say, they're looking more resilient than last year. Would be surprised to see them drop out of the top 4 now.
Far too early to say that. They are still in the Europa and FA Cup which will test their squad. Managing Vardy will be important.

Yesterday's performance bar a brilliant six minute counter-attack performance was poor.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Far too early to say that. They are still in the Europa and FA Cup which will test their squad. Managing Vardy will be important.

Yesterday's performance bar a brilliant six minute counter-attack performance was poor.
I can’t disagree with this at all.

I’d have put the performance yesterday, with the losses as loses at West Ham, Villa and Fulham. We didn’t deserve to win that game but that’s football.

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
No offence, mate, but finishing 5th - 6th - 5th - 8th and currently being on track to once again finish way off top 4 is my definition of mediocre.

For a club of Arsenal's stature I mean, obviously. You managed top 4 every single year for two decades until 2015/16, so these last five years have been very mediocre if not outright terrible, never mind those cups you've won.
I'd say only last season and this current season up till now our form has been unacceptable. Otherwise we've always finished in the top six.

You can't say a club that perennially wins trophies outright terrible that's pure exaggeration especially when you compare our net spend to a club like United's in the last decade. Big highly

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
I'd say only last season and this current season up till now our form has been unacceptable. Otherwise we've always finished in the top six.

You can't say a club that perennially wins trophies outright terrible that's pure exaggeration especially when you compare our net spend to a club like United's in the last decade. Big highly
Well, the Arsenal fans I know would gladly trade in a couple of FA cups for Champions League football. They als call not finishing top 4 for 5 years straight pretty darn frustrating (only in less polite terms).

You can't consider yourselves a big club if you're happy with top six finishes. Ask any United fan to describe the last 5-7 years and they'll call them mediocre at best (bloody awful more likely), despite winning a few cups.

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
Well, the Arsenal fans I know would gladly trade in a couple of FA cups for Champions League football. They als call not finishing top 4 for 5 years straight pretty darn frustrating (only in less polite terms).

You can't consider yourselves a big club if you're happy with top six finishes. Ask any United fan to describe the last 5-7 years and they'll call them mediocre at best (bloody awful more likely), despite winning a few cups.
It is frustrating of course, but Arsenal are in transition since Wenger left. The fact we still manage to win trophies without spending millions like United, Chelsea and City during this period is great.

Of course we're a big club and only finished outside the top six once. It's been mediocre for United because you've spent such vast amounts on players yet have come nowhere near winning the champions League or premier league. In fact they've not won any trophies apart from Mourinhos first season.

Reactions: Cheimoon

ExecutionerWasp001

It is frustrating of course, but Arsenal are in transition since Wenger left. The fact we still manage to win trophies without spending millions like United, Chelsea and City during this period is great.

Of course we're a big club and only finished outside the top six once. It's been mediocre for United because you've spent such vast amounts on players yet have come nowhere near winning the champions League or premier league. In fact they've not won any trophies apart from Mourinhos first season.
We won the FA Cup under LVG.

You are a big club in terms of fan base but no longer a competing club. Domestic Cups & Europa League titles mean nothing to big clubs who are not competing for League or CL titles.

As teams we are on the same path it's just that you have reached your end game quicker than us. Like us you have made bad managerial appointments. You were at a lower starting point regarding revenue & have an owner who no longer want's to invest.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
It was laughable to read Leicester forum last season. The fans were jumping into conclusion, upset and blamed Brendan for bottling the top 4. :lol: They had no idea that they have a good quality manager, the problem was obviously Brendan didn't have bigger squad to allow him to have plan B and cover some of the injury players.
On the one hand, that's a fair point. On the other - I've read some of the reactions on these forums after simply drawing with West Brom; imagine how this place would react to dropping a 14 point gap (or whatever it was) to the Champions League places.

That's just football fans for you. They're emotional creatures.

RUCK4444

We’d have a much better chance than we do with our current manager.

There, I said it...
Ouch. This is the guy who lost it with peak Suarez and the ‘SAS’ partnership in prime form as well remember.

I do actually rate Brendan though, he’s a very good manager imo.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ouch. This is the guy who lost it with peak Suarez and the ‘SAS’ partnership in prime form as well remember.

I do actually rate Brendan though, he’s a very good manager imo.
In his most recent three jobs he’s had three different clubs competing at the top of their leagues by playing entertaining, attacking football. That’s the sort of cv we should be looking for in a United manager. Incredible that we’re nearly a decade on from Fergie’s retirement and not one manager we’ve hired can tick the same boxes.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
On the one hand, that's a fair point. On the other - I've read some of the reactions on these forums after simply drawing with West Brom; imagine how this place would react to dropping a 14 point gap (or whatever it was) to the Champions League places.

That's just football fans for you. They're emotional creatures.
’’some’’ not most of them like what I read in Leicester forum.

Traub

When you look at the clubs he's managed, and the circumstances around his departures, there's nothing there to suggest he needs to move to stay motivated. He's either been sacked or taken a clear step up.

Arsenal would be a step down. They're a club with no ambition to win a major title, they exist purely to generate profit for Kroenke at this point. Spurs would be a lateral move at best, and might well be a step down once Mourinho is done tearing them asunder. City would be a step up, but I suspect he's not fashionable enough for them. Think they're more likely to go for one of the fancy German lads once Pep decides that he needs another sabbatical.
I think you're right in the short term, but longer term Spurs and Arsenal are clearly a step up from Leicester - the financial resources at those two teams is significantly more than Leicester's.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I think you're right in the short term, but longer term Spurs and Arsenal are clearly a step up from Leicester - the financial resources at those two teams is significantly more than Leicester's.
are they? they certainly don't seem to use them

Ludens the Red

Yup, I couldn’t actually believe what I was reading on there last season. It’s one of the reasons I always laugh when people on here say United fans are the worse. You’ve got large amount of fecking Leicester city fans calling for the managers head for finishing 5th (second highest ever prem finish) one point behind United which literally only happened cos half their first eleven missed post lockdown games. We finished third having experienced 13 league titles and there was a good amount in here more or less popping champagne bottles.

dinostar77

We’d have a much better chance than we do with our current manager.

There, I said it...
It must a british football thing not to have a manager who managed Utd and managed Liverpool or vice versa. Whereas abroad managers have managed both Madrid and Barcelona or done the rounds between Juventus/Inter/AC.

Being a liverpool manager does taint brendon somewhat, but i think he could be a good manager for Utd if given the chance.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Yup, I couldn’t actually believe what I was reading on there last season. It’s one of the reasons I always laugh when people on here say United fans are the worse. You’ve got large amount of fecking Leicester city fans calling for the managers head for finishing 5th (second highest ever prem finish) one point behind United which literally only happened cos half their first eleven missed post lockdown games. We finished third having experienced 13 league titles and there was a good amount in here more or less popping champagne bottles.
Hold on a second...

Traub

are they? they certainly don't seem to use them
I haven't checked the numbers so maybe I'm wrong, but it does seem that Spurs and Arsenal are much more willing to spend in the 40m plus bracket compared to Leicester.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
lets see what reactions are like on here if you end up finishing the season in 5th from where you are now, my bet it would be a lot worse
Of course it will be lot worse because we are Manchester United, our expectation before this season started was at least to make it to top 4 because we have the squad for the top 4.

It’s completely contrast to Leicester. Leicester last season wasn’t expected to make top 4 because Brendan didn't have the squad to make top 4 last season. But you lot blamed him in Leicester forum instead of being understand that the problem was the squad.

How are some people comparing two different cases? :houllier:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
This.

Plus most on here didn’t experience the Busby titles. What were things like back then with expectation ?
I have absolutely no idea. I do know we’ve won 20 league titles. After supporting the team through the long and painful path to overtaking Liverpool’s total, please don’t start knocking numbers off our trophy haul!

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
Of course it will be lot worse because we are Manchester United, our expectation before this season started was at least to make it to top 4 because we have the squad for the top 4.

It’s completely contrast to Leicester. Leicester last season wasn’t expected to make top 4 because Brendan didn't have the squad to make top 4 last season. But you lot blamed him in Leicester forum instead of being understand that the problem was the squad.

How are some people comparing two different cases? :houllier:
We had a very depleted squad, but 4 wins in 17 games (our form in the second half of the season) can't be blamed on the squad alone.

From what I remember, I can't recall anyone wanting Brendan out (or if they did, it was a a very strange minority), but everyone was rightfully pretty pissed off. Saying "oh well, you weren't expected to make 4th so it's ok" isn't much of a consolation when you've bottled a 12 point (at least, may have been more) gap to 5th place in less than half a season.

There probably were a few reactionary posts, but you get that after any disappointing results. When the dust had settled, you'd have been very hard pushed to find any Leicester fans who wanted him gone.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We had a very depleted squad, but 4 wins in 17 games (our form in the second half of the season) can't be blamed on the squad alone.

From what I remember, I can't recall anyone wanting Brendan out (or if they did, it was a a very strange minority), but everyone was rightfully pretty pissed off. Saying "oh well, you weren't expected to make 4th so it's ok" isn't much of a consolation when you've bottled a 12 point (at least, may have been more) gap to 5th place in less than half a season.

There probably were a few reactionary posts, but you get that after any disappointing results. When the dust had settled, you'd have been very hard pushed to find any Leicester fans who wanted him gone.
People blamed him for not having plan B and his Substitution decision. He never have the bigger squad last season to allow him to have plan B, have good quality bench and squad players to cover some of the injury players. Quality of the squad also matters here to maintain consistency and that’s why Leicester started to drop their form in second half of season.

What you lot did in that forum was blindly blaming him without thinking what the actual problems were.

Wayne's World

I have no doubt we'll approach Leicester once Ole goes for Rodgers. He wouldn't be my first choice but I have felt for years he's very highly regarded at United. His work at Leicester, Liverpool and Celtic has all been positive and was a Stevie Gerrard slip away from winning the league too

Ludens the Red

Correct me if I’m wrong but you lost Ricardo, Chillwell, Ndidi, Maddison for a chunk of last season?
Look at what’s happening to Liverpool because they lost a few cbs.
I dread to think what would happen if Bruno got injured, mid table at best. And then throw in Fred, Shaw and wan Bissaka :nervous:
Hell, last season before we signed Bruno and when we had injuries we were sat 11th in the table.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
People blamed him for not having plan B and his Substitution decision. He never have the bigger squad last season to allow him to have plan B, have good quality bench and squad players to cover some of the injury players. Quality of the squad also matters here to maintain consistency and that’s why Leicester started to drop their form in second half of season.

What you lot did in that forum was blindly blaming him without thinking what the actual problems were.
We certainly had lots of injuries.

But even with injuries, we still definitely had a superior squad to Bournemouth, Brighton, Norwich, Southampton, Burnley and Watford - all teams which we failed to beat in the second half of the season. If you look at the line ups we played for a lot of games, we still played some strong teams.

It's easy to say "it's all due to injuries". But a lot of it was mental. You could see after a back-to-back hammering against Man City and Liverpool, the team took a huge knock in confidence - they started playing within themselves and were way to fragile. As soon as we conceded a goal, heads dropped. Rodgers couldn't shake them out of it. This culminated in the 4 - 1 implosion against Bournemouth (we even took the lead in that, but self destructed as soon as we but that didn't appear out of nowhere - it had been building for half a season.

Either way, this is a United forum, so I won't go on about Leicester too much. I can see we're not going to change each others minds, so we'll have to agree to disagree. But I will finish off by saying that while it's easy to to say "look how ridiculous fans from X, Y and Z clubs are", in reality fans from all clubs are pretty much alike. Were the roles reversed, I doubt United fans would've acted any differently.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Correct me if I’m wrong but you lost Ricardo, Chillwell, Ndidi, Maddison for a chunk of last season?
I dread to think what would happen if Bruno got injured, mid table at best. And then throw in Fred, Shaw and wan Bissaka :nervous:
Hell, last season before we signed Bruno and when we had injuries we were sat 11th in the table.
the bad run started when we got pasted by Liverpool and Man City within a few days, before the injuries

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
Oh yeah, by the time we reached post-lock down, we were pretty buggered. No chance we'd come anywhere close to first half of the season form (which, looking at XG and being honest, we'd probably way over-performed anyway).

But if you look at the squads we put out in comparison to some of the teams we faced, we still should have had more than enough to get wins against Bournemouth, Brighton, Norwich, Southampton, Burnley and Watford.

Take the 4 - 1 loss to Bournemouth, for example.

We still had Kasper, Evans, Soyuncu, James Justin, Tielemens, Albrighton, N'didi, Vardy, Perez - most who are still starters for us now. Ok, we also had to play Fuchs and Nacho (Nacho is reasonable, Fuchs is admittedly well past it), but that's not an excuse for a result like that.

I do agree that injuries are a huge factor in our implosion - but it's not the only one. Like I said above, I genuinely think the absolute back-to-back thrashings against Liverpool and Man City had more of an effect on us than the injuries did. We never looked the same since, even when we pretty much had our starting XI out.

Edit: Oh, I can see someone said the same just above - great minds and all that ;)

Reactions: Cheimoon