Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

Robbie Boy

33 of 38 game weeks in the top 4 last season, and 3 of the weeks where they weren't were at the very beginning.

This season they haven't actually dropped out at all, but they've only won 2 of their last 6 (West Brom and Palace), and have United, Chelsea and Spurs as their remaining league fixtures.

West Ham, Spurs, Liverpool, and maybe even Everton, must still feel like they're in with a shout of catching them based on their current form.
Jesus, that's absolutely crazy stuff!

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
How does his team go from so amazing to so poor every season??? He will never get a top post in football again if he bottles this season.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Do we think he's agreed to go elsewhere?
Seems usual for his teams to nosedive.

Liverpool 2013/14 - we all know this one

Liverpool 2014/15 - won just 2 of their last 9, having won 10 from the 12 before that to get back in the top 4 hunt before bottling it

Leicester 2018/19 - won 1 of their last 5 having won 4 on the bounce before that to get into a European spot before bottling it

Leicester 2019/20 - won 4 of their last 17/3 of their last 14/2 of their last 9/1 of their last 5 and despite having been in the top 4 since the 6th round of games they ended up bottling it

This season they've never been outside of the top 4 after a complete round of games, but having only won 2 of their last 6, could again end up bottling it, with those numbers turning into 2 wins out of their last 9.

It's Rodgers, he's a bottler.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I dont get it. Why is our fans salivating over him. Is he really that good? Why did Leicester draw over Southampton?
Because the grass is always greener elsewhere. Rodgers has made a career of bottling it, yet people talk like he's the second coming of SAF. It's ridiculous. And today was the easiest of his final 4 games and Leicester bottled it. I called it last year in December that they would bottle it, and I called it again this year. Maybe they will prove me wrong and get some results to finish in the top 4, but the way things are looking, it's not likely...

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
We overtook them last season but ironically we might let them keep their top 4 slot this year by playing a weaker team.

Given their fixture list and propensity to bottle it as of late, they're not catching us for 2nd and the other teams are also unlikely to catch up.

The only way I see them missing out is if Chelsea win the CL and somehow miss out on top 4.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Seems usual for his teams to nosedive.

Liverpool 2013/14 - we all know this one

Liverpool 2014/15 - won just 2 of their last 9, having won 10 from the 12 before that to get back in the top 4 hunt before bottling it

Leicester 2018/19 - won 1 of their last 5 having won 4 on the bounce before that to get into a European spot before bottling it

Leicester 2019/20 - won 4 of their last 17/3 of their last 14/2 of their last 9/1 of their last 5 and despite having been in the top 4 since the 6th round of games they ended up bottling it

This season they've never been outside of the top 4 after a complete round of games, but having only won 2 of their last 6, could again end up bottling it, with those numbers turning into 2 wins out of their last 9.

It's Rodgers, he's a bottler.
Damn. Laid it out bare. Does he run his teams into the ground early on then? Is that the issue

Tallis

Media love Sir Bottlejob. Wouldn’t be surprised if he misses out again on CL and some knobhead suggests that he would be a good replacement for Ole.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
will probably still get too 4 we would need to win all of our remaining games and we haven’t looked like doing that. It’s definitely an area he needs to address, he seem to not be able to install the mentality needed in his sides in crunch moments. But it’s worth pointing out Leicesters wage bill is still far short of the top 4, context is important in judging him.

shahzy

Instead of saying the easy cop out of saying he's a bottler, another possible answer could be the way he makes his team play? Klopp has shown that his players burnout. Bielsa has done that in his career. Could it be the way Leicester play that makes the players tired by the end of the season?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Instead of saying the easy cop out of saying he's a bottler, another possible answer could be the way he makes his team play? Klopp has shown that his players burnout. Bielsa has done that in his career. Could it be the way Leicester play that makes the players tired by the end of the season?
When it's as sudden as this, no. They've had full weeks of rest between games for ages. If they bottle it, it's entirely mentality related.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Because the grass is always greener elsewhere. Rodgers has made a career of bottling it, yet people talk like he's the second coming of SAF. It's ridiculous. And today was the easiest of his final 4 games and Leicester bottled it. I called it last year in December that they would bottle it, and I called it again this year. Maybe they will prove me wrong and get some results to finish in the top 4, but the way things are looking, it's not likely...
I know.

I mean he has some nice tactics that are nice to watch but he seems a level below a title winning manager.

There is this feeling that in important times or important games that he doesnt have that grip of getting the best out of his players.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
Rodgers for Spurs? Why deffhuck not? They are made for each other.
Ricardo or Danny Simpson, no contest. As is Soyuncu or Huth, Castagne or Fuchs, Kante or Ndidi and Tielemans,( he was always worth two). Maddison/Perez, or Shinji Okasaki? Sayanora Madders! Our team is like a sticky toffee pudding, fluffy and fun on the outside, gooey brown stuff

Last edited:

MU655

I think people jump the gun with this bottle job stuff.

Leicester weren't expected to be in the position they are this season. It seems weird to call over achieving on people's expectations a bottle job.

Liverpool are out of it. I would say Tottenham probably have the best chance of top four. West Ham won't have enough.

Leicester will get top four this season.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Leicester weren't expected to be in the position they are this season. It seems weird to call over achieving on people's expectations a bottle job.

Liverpool are out of it. I would say Tottenham probably have the best chance of top four. West Ham won't have enough.

Their final three games are us, Chelsea, and Spurs. Far from a safe bet.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

The Caf loves to throw around the word bottler. Nagelsmann was a bottler because his team lost to PSG last year and Liverpool this year.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

West Ham have fairly easy fixtures to be fair. I could totally see them sneaking in to the top 4. Tottenham are a long way behind, I think they need to win all of their remaining games to have a shot at getting Top 4 and that seems a bit unrealistic for them. For me its 2 from Chelsea, Leicester and West Ham.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Why? Their team is very highly rated isn't it?

People rate Kasper Schmeichel very highly
Ricardo Pereira as one of the best RB in the league
Soyuncu, Evans, Fofana as one of the best CBs in the league
James Justin, Castagne as very good players.

Ndidi as among the best DMs in the league
Tielemans, Maddison very highly too.

Vardy as one of the best striker in the league.

When it comes to players, they are very highly rated, people want half of their team. Their fans somehow think only 2-3 players can get into their team, they have 3 CBs who are better than Maguire and all that. Somehow they weren't expected to be in this position?

Yeah they haven't spent much money but thats a credit to their recruitment team. I rate Rodgers highly but this playing down of their squad is silly. They were expected to compete for top 4 position. They spent almost 95% of 2 seasons in top 4 position.

MU655

Why? Their team is very highly rated isn't it?

People rate Kasper Schmeichel very highly
Ricardo Pereira as one of the best RB in the league
Soyuncu, Evans, Fofana as one of the best CBs in the league
James Justin, Castagne as very good players.

Ndidi as among the best DMs in the league
Tielemans, Maddison very highly too.

Vardy as one of the best striker in the league.

When it comes to players, they are very highly rated, people want half of their team. Their fans somehow think only 2-3 players can get into their team, they have 3 CBs who are better than Maguire and all that. Somehow they weren't expected to be in this position?

Yeah they haven't spent much money but thats a credit to their recruitment team. I rate Rodgers highly but this playing down of their squad is silly. They were expected to compete for top 4 position. They spent almost 95% of 2 seasons in top 4 position.
The vast majority would have expected the top four to be Man City, Chelsea, Manutd, and Liverpool. That is what I mean: getting top four would be exceeding most people's expectations at the start of the season so how can it be a bottle job not getting it?

I also think he is getting more out of some of those players. I do wonder how many of them will be regarded as well if they didn't play for Leicester and Rodgers. A lot of them weren't getting mentioned before Rodgers went there. I don't remember here being all that much talk about the players already at the club before Rodgers joined; Ndidi, (signed 16/17) Soyuncu, Barnes (academy), Iheanacho (signed 17/18) etc. In fact, their transfer record didn't look that great in recent years after the league title, not until Rodgers came in.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The vast majority would have expected the top four to be Man City, Chelsea, Manutd, and Liverpool. That is what I mean: getting top four would be exceeding most people's expectations at the start of the season so how can it be a bottle job not getting it?

I also think he is getting more out of some of those players. I do wonder how many of them will be regarded as well if they didn't play for Leicester and Rodgers. A lot of them weren't getting mentioned before Rodgers went there. I don't remember here being all that much talk about the players already at the club before Rodgers joined; Ndidi, (signed 16/17) Soyuncu, Barnes (academy), Iheanacho (signed 17/18) etc. In fact, their transfer record didn't look that great in recent years after the league title, not until Rodgers came in.
Their transfers always looked good but yeah I agree with the point that Rodgers is getting best out of them.

They have done really well to be in top 3 for so many weeks, it doesn't look good if they fail to finish top 4 2 seasons in a row after having such a lead.

Yeah this bottling stuff is silly, people just use it randomly and all the time.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
last night stank of a team looking to a cup final instead of the game they were playing, Rodgers seems obsessed with a back 3, which is fine when all 3 CB's are available, the moment one of them is out it needs to be ditched as it doesn't work.

Taking off Ndidi was a ridiculous decision beautifully shown up immediately. Maddison is both clearly not fit and in full show pony mode and needs to be dropped, Perez was far more effective, no surprise performances dropped once he was left out.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Still think that? Wolves, Villa and Leicester to go. 5 points behind 4th (who have a game in hand) with 3 games left to play. Tottenham will be lucky to finish 5th.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

When you are in a great position all the way until the end and then you blow it, it's a "Bottle Job". It's only over achieving if he finishes in the top 4.

SoCross

Think we will lose to them, Ole will have to rotate. We will have some tired players and some out of form players.

Hendo

Tuanzebe Lindelof Bailly Telles

VDB Matic Pogba

Mata Cavani Greenwood

Edit: sorry thought this was the match day thread

MU655

When you are in a great position all the way until the end and then you blow it, it's a "Bottle Job". It's only over achieving if he finishes in the top 4.
That's the thing, though. Either he is a bottle job or an over-achiever; there doesn't seem to be something in between.

MU655

Still think that? Wolves, Villa and Leicester to go. 5 points behind 4th (who have a game in hand) with 3 games left to play. Tottenham will be lucky to finish 5th.
Nope. I thought Kane and Son may carry them through to the best chance.

I kept thinking Liverpool would improve earlier in the season, but they kept proving me wrong. That is why I went for Tottenham. Perhaps they will have a drive in the last few games.

West Ham, I thought just wouldn't have enough, and I think losing to Everton shows that.

Albeit, I did think Leicester will get top four.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
That's the thing, though. Either he is a bottle job or an over-achiever; there doesn't seem to be something in between.
Sure there is...finish 6th by being in that position for most of the year. Finishing in the top 4 is hitting above his weight, but if he is going to be there for 37/38 games then make it the last 37 games, not the first 37 games...

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I just dont see what is so great about him and his football even if they win against us.

Do people really want him at our club?