Sun, 19 May 2024 @ 4:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
    Be great to finish off with a win but I reckon the best we'll get is a draw unless they are on the beach already. Need to give Garno a rest

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
    Because if we LOSE the cup final, do we really want to face the prospect of competing in the Conference League?

The best outcome from our current circumstances is beating City and getting into the Europa.
    The second best outcome is missing out on Europe entirely.
    The worst outcome from here is being stuck in the Conference League next season.
    The best outcome for the team and the club is no European football, we need time to build and bed the new and younger players in, with decent breaks between games, we don't need a repeat of this season.

DRJosh

Supports
    United minus the Glazers
    We’re not winning this. But I’m having a revised take on Amrabat. He might be worth keeping if he shows the same level of tenacity as he did in the last game.

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
    We’re not winning this. But I’m having a revised take on Amrabat. He might be worth keeping if he shows the same level of tenacity as he did in the last game.
    He puts in a couple of average performances, and all of a sudden his shit doesn't stink and he's worth keeping.
    FFS our standards and expectaions really have bottomed out

Al-T

Brighton are missing a host of players and are likely to be without their entire first choice back four for this game. Their season (like ours) has been savaged by injuries.

Bondi77

Good engine but his passing is league 2 level and that is being kind.

Raven

To anyone saying they hope we miss out on the conference league, do you not think it would be the perfect place to give youngsters playing time?

UTD_Since_1978

Brighton have actually beaten us in the last 4 PL meetings! :eek:

UTD to win on Sunday though I think.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
    Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
    To anyone saying they hope we miss out on the conference league, do you not think it would be the perfect place to give youngsters playing time?
    Next season whoever is in charge will be fighting for their job, they won't do that outside of a couple of dead rubbers in the groups. The rest of the time you're losing extra training days travelling and losing recovery time too. I really hope we don't end up in the conference league.

Todd

The best outcome for the team and the club is no European football, we need time to build and bed the new and younger players in, with decent breaks between games, we don't need a repeat of this season.
    The reason I still think being in the Europa League next season is beneficial is because it provides a potential path into the Champions League, if we once again fail to finish in the top 4, which I'm sad to say is the likely outcome next season.

The Boy

Supports
    Brighton and Hove Albion
    3-0 loss incoming with Welbeck, March and Gross getting their yearly goal quotas against us.
    I wish March was playing, but he's been out for the season. Welbeck will be on the bench I would guess so only Gross is starting out of those three sadly. Still I'd take 1-0.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
    I've been drinking so I'm going to say we win this and then hammer City 3-0 in the final. Trust in the beer I say

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    The Europa is enough of a hassle, let alone a step down in quality.
    But it wouldn't be a step down enough that we could just send a bunch of kids over.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    As for this game, hopefully a couple of the injury gang can start, Martinez top of the list.

Can't just throw them into the final v City otherwise.

We shouldn't even entertain the idea of Shaw playing in the final. That'd be madness.

RuudTom83

Would like a win, as long as United don’t snatch 7th place and the conference league spot from Newcastle.

If that happens then United will have to with the FA Cup just to get out of that embarrassment and into the Europa League. Which is the far lesser of the two evils.

(If I’m understanding the qualification for Europe correctly)

Bertie Wooster

Would like a win, as long as United don’t snatch 7th place and the conference league spot from Newcastle.

If that happens then United will have to with the FA Cup just to get out of that embarrassment and into the Europa League. Which is the far lesser of the two evils.

(If I’m understanding the qualification for Europe correctly)
    So it's less embarrassing to finish so low in the league that we miss out on Europe altogether, than it is to finish higher in the league and therefore qualify for Europe? Never understand reasoning like this.

The contempt for all cup competitions that aren't the CL or FA Cup - even the EL is apparently only "the lesser of two evils". As someone who still loves cup competitions, and the thrill of winning a trophy, I just don't get the contempt for anything that isn't the PL, CL or FA Cup.

I'm really hoping we can sneak 7th place and at least guarantee that we'll be in Europe next season. Though I can't see it happening, as it requires both results to go well. But I think it's still a lot more likely than us somehow beating City in the cup final!

Last edited:

RuudTom83

So it's less embarrassing to finish so low in the league that we miss out on Europe altogether, than it is to finish higher in the league and therefore qualify for Europe? Never understand reasoning like this.

The contempt for all cup competitions that aren't the CL or FA Cup - even the EL is apparently only "the lesser of two evils". As someone who still loves cup competitions, and the thrill of winning a trophy, I just don't get the contempt for anything that isn't the PL, CL or FA Cup.
    It's the Conference League mate...if you can get up for that then all power to you.

mu4c_20le

Was going to watch the west ham game but might actually tune in on ours now

Telsim

Recent news changes things. They have absolutely nothing to play for and the manager is going. Could see us getting a point here. Just don't start Martinez. Warm him up for the cup final in the last quarter.

Hoping to see Amrabat and Diallo start, though.

Bertie Wooster

It's the Conference League mate...if you can get up for that then all power to you.
    I don't need a specific competition or opponent to be up for a United game. Maybe you do, but I'm watching and supporting United - I don't care if we're playing Bournemouth or Arsenal, Olympiakos or Barcelona. I'm just as nervous about the result, whether it's a league game or a domestic or European Cup competition and regardless of the opponents.

And I'm delighted to see us win a competitive trophy whichever of the 3 domestic or 3 European competitions that it is. Some might feel even bigger than others, but they all feel great and a damn sight better than winning nothing.

Last edited:

lex talionis

Even if we consider the Conference League an “evil”, the manager can play fringe and youth players. The next Mainoo or Amad might be unearthed with an outstanding performance against these unworthy opponents.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
    we've had no european football since before Christmas... not exactly shone have we?

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
    This is just silly. We need more games, not fewer.

Todd

Hard to find a reason to tune in for this. Been a while since we've played a meaningful match on Championship Sunday.

Sorry to say it, but I'll be flipping back and forth between the City match and the Arsenal match, depending on what's happening in each.

Red00012

As for this game, hopefully a couple of the injury gang can start, Martinez top of the list.

Can't just throw them into the final v City otherwise.

We shouldn't even entertain the idea of Shaw playing in the final. That'd be madness.
    Ya watching AWB is so much better than a half fit Shaw

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 120 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win