British + Irish draft: Crappy VS Stobzilla

Who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MJJ

It has not been ignored. My answer to Annah, covered your question as well. My back 4 won't man mark anyone and it is a defensive unit. Both CBs are largely occupied by the opposition's central strike partnership. Irwin as a full back is strong enough to deal with Johnstone on his own. All these things do not mean that on occasion if Irwin is beaten, Rio can not step out to take on the winger. Point of having someone like Rio there is that he is smart enough to decide if he can leave Bruce alone in the box to aid out wide or forward.

What's ridiculous is that since Stob is not here, I am having to field all questions.
From what I have read of johnstone and seen of irwin, I highly doubt that.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
From what I have read of johnstone and seen of irwin, I highly doubt that.
I never said he will shut him out. My main argument is that Gallacher gets more joy against Pearce than Johsntone against Irwin.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Thats a fair point, I think you will create marginally more chances with a deadlier striker thats why voted for you.
That's debatable too. I'd say it's nothing between them, actually.

Rush and Shearer, I mean.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Really ?

From a purely Appearances/Goals ratio then it's slanted comfortably in Shearers favour.
True. But then A) Rush's absolute peak was in a more miserly era and B) he kept playing well beyond his absolute peak, which affects his ratio.

crappycraperson

Scout
Shearer may have torn up the league but Rush had a better pedigree. He is after all the all time leading goal scorer of one of the most successful English clubs. One may say that it is not Shearer's fault he never got to play in a team that could challenge for honors at every level, which is fair, but does not mean Rush's own record in that respect should not be taken into account.

MJJ

Really ?

From a purely Appearances/Goals ratio then it's slanted comfortably in Shearers favour.
Rush 224 (139) Initial Liverpool Run
Shearer 237(109) Newcaste, 1997-2004

Am trying to compare both at their peak. Although crappy just made a very good point that shearer played in a weaker team while Rush was in one of the best sides of his time. Might change my vote yet.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
That's debatable too. I'd say it's nothing between them, actually.

Rush and Shearer, I mean.
Yeah. Rush from 1981-1987 averaged an impressive 35 goals a season. Shearer has the more natural and proven partner, which is probably the main difference there, rather than their finishing prowess.

crappycraperson

Scout
Rush 224 (139) Initial Liverpool Run
Shearer 237(109) Newcaste, 1997-2004

Am trying to compare both at their peak.
Think Shearer's time at Blackburn and then first few years at Newcastle would count as his peak.

Regardless Chester's point about Rush peak being in an era when scoring was much tougher is more relevant.

MJJ

Think Shearer's time at Blackburn and then first few years at Newcastle would count as his peak.

Regardless Chester's point about Rush peak being in an era when scoring was much tougher is more relevant.
Arghhh..this is too tight. Am having so much doubts who to vote for. I really think there isnt a lot in this game at all, is gonna be a draw most likely.

crappycraperson

Scout
Arghhh..this is too tight. Am having so much doubts who to vote for. I really think there isnt a lot in this game at all, is gonna be a draw most likely.
Come on .. don't change your vote now. I am already trailing :( And making Stob's arguments for him!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Shearer may have torn up the league but Rush had a better pedigree. He is after all the all time leading goal scorer of one of the most successful English clubs. One may say that it is not Shearer's fault he never got to play in a team that could challenge for honors at every level, which is fair, but does not mean Rush's own record in that respect should not be taken into account.
Should've signed for United, the thick cnut. Fergie tried to land him twice.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I personally feel it was a bit. Him with Cantona behind with Keane and Scholes, Beckham and Giggs on the wings. We would have probably won 6/7/8 on the trot.
And one more Champions League, I reckon. In '97, in particular.

We should have feckin' won it in '97 regardless - Shearer would've made it a certainty that year, well nigh.

Annahnomoss

Very similar teams here. McGrain/Johnstone make up the best wing, but Crappy's right will be equally effective considering Bruce may not be the ideal match up for Stobzilla. Stob has Hansen, Crappy Rio - defensively there is not much in it and in terms of the central midfielders it is the same story.

For me the match-winning factor for Stobzilla is his strikers here, they are pretty much as good as Rooney individually but they are a proven partnership. SAF, LVG, Moyes and every NT manager for England has tried to create a perfect partnership for Rooney and it is a damn near impossible task. Of course in a draft we have to give some leeway there but I prefer seeing strikers who proved that they could adjust to create brilliant partnerships with their strikers.

Rooney is one of those who is on the opposite side of the spectrum. He's had Berbatov, Tevez, Sturridge and RVP which makes up every style of world class striker you can imagine but he still ends up failing to create a partnership near the likes of Shearer-Sheringham.

At the same time I feel like Crappy is putting way more effort in here considering Stobzilla is busy and that surely has to count in Crappy's favour. I've voted Stob but I may change my mind on it either to a draw or even for a Crappy win.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
We should have feckin' won it in '97 regardless - Shearer would've made it a certainty that year, well nigh.
United lost 4 out of 4 games against the two finalists, bit of a stretch to say you should have won it regardless :lol: . I'd happily let you have the '97 one if we get the '99 one instead, that one really belonged to us :(

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
United lost 4 out of 4 games against the two finalists, bit of a stretch to say you should have won it regardless :lol: . I'd happily let you have the '97 one if we get the '99 one instead, that one really belonged to us :(
Goals were a big problem that year. Andy Cole had a poor season overall and Ole was only in his first season with us.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Rooney is one of those who is on the opposite side of the spectrum. He's had Berbatov, Tevez, Sturridge and RVP which makes up every style of world class striker you can imagine but he still ends up failing to create a partnership near the likes of Shearer-Sheringham.
I liked Rooney Tevez partnership. The contract dealings screwed it up.

I still have high hopes for Rooney RvP.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yeah, well. By that logic it didn't "belong" to you at all, did it? Unless I'm mistaken we beat you in the final.

We should have and could have won our semi-final in '97 - that was highly do-able. And once in the final, I'm confident we would've nailed it.

Annahnomoss

I liked Rooney Tevez partnership. The contract dealings screwed it up.

I still have high hopes for Rooney RvP.
That is the issue. After two and a half seasons together under three managers and 40 different tactical systems and formation, we "still have high hopes" for them. As a United fan I can't imagine something better than RVP and Rooney suddenly clicking and playing as good or above their individual level.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Yeah, well. By that logic it didn't "belong" to you at all, did it? Unless I'm mistaken we beat you in the final.

We should have and could have won our semi-final in '97 - that was highly do-able. And once in the final, I'm confident we would've nailed it.
That was the point.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That is the issue. After two and a half seasons together under three managers and 40 different tactical systems and formation, we "still have high hopes" for them. As a United fan I can't imagine something better than RVP and Rooney suddenly clicking and playing as good or above their individual level.
Not seeing it. At all. Ever.

I don't think they like each other, those two. Nor do they suit each other as players. Bad chemistry. Or karma. Or something.

Rooney's an odd bastard, it has to be said. Neither fish nor fowl. He's a bloody good player on his day, though. Better than many like to think. But finding an ideal set-up for him isn't easy, it would appear.

crappycraperson

Scout
Very similar teams here. McGrain/Johnstone make up the best wing, but Crappy's right will be equally effective considering Bruce may not be the ideal match up for Stobzilla. Stob has Hansen, Crappy Rio - defensively there is not much in it and in terms of the central midfielders it is the same story.

For me the match-winning factor for Stobzilla is his strikers here, they are pretty much as good as Rooney individually but they are a proven partnership. SAF, LVG, Moyes and every NT manager for England has tried to create a perfect partnership for Rooney and it is a damn near impossible task. Of course in a draft we have to give some leeway there but I prefer seeing strikers who proved that they could adjust to create brilliant partnerships with their strikers.

At the same time I feel like Crappy is putting way more effort in here considering Stobzilla is busy and that surely has to count in Crappy's favour. I've voted Stob but I may change my mind on it either to a draw or even for a Crappy win.
I wish I had not tagged you now

Annahnomoss

I wish I had not tagged you now
I had decided not to vote previously as you won in terms of enthusiasm and effort hands down. If I had to vote it would always have to be for the team I thought was better and that was with a very slight edge Stobz here. Was a hard vote, I really dislike when someone puts in effort like you did and the other doesn't but they get a free ride.

As Stobz is a regular I gave him some extra understanding in that regard but I will hold it against him in the next match. Didn't feel right to vote either, especially not being a decider when the heart said one thing and the brain another.

EDIT: My thread participation, asking questions was kind of trying to find me a way to give an advantage to justify voting for you.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
For what its worth I did fancy the Ruud-Rooney partnership. Still got the RVN swivel volley goal ( :drool:) against Charlton, created by Rooney, in the back of my head. They were both brilliant that game esp Rooney, he was simply unstoppable that day. Miss Ruud and that version of Rooney :(.

Pity crappy went out, he had a terrific and well balanced defense. The midfield duo's compatibility was my only gripe but I'll leave it at that, he must be sick of hearing it. Some of my favourite players there too - Rio, Irwin, and Baxter who was quite simply a genius.

This draft has been really informative with lots of high quality teams with nothing much in between them. Group A and D were so close and entertaining with plenty of draws and one vote wins.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I had decided not to vote previously as you won in terms of enthusiasm and effort hands down. If I had to vote it would always have to be for the team I thought was better and that was with a very slight edge Stobz here. Was a hard vote, I really dislike when someone puts in effort like you did and the other doesn't but they get a free ride.

As Stobz is a regular I gave him some extra understanding in that regard but I will hold it against him in the next match.
Agreed. I actually came on now to check up on stuff and planning if it was a draw I would have switched. When it's borderline activity absolutely is a criterion.