g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

British + Irish draft : MJJ vs Barney (Group D)

Who will win assuming all players are at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MJJ

:lol: Another reason why I was reluctant to vote against him, lest I be accused of skulduggery. He's managed to hog at least two players that would complete our side amongst his No. 10 grab-fest!
I never wanted to get daglish that was just to raise the price for him and no one else went for him :lol:

I still pissed 30m cos was busy and not following the draft properly though :(

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
From 4-8 to 11-8. Wow :lol:

Can someone help me with sharemytactics? Need to make a formation change but my phone.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

Bertie Auld was quite simply a midfield genius and the lynchpin of Celtic's greatest team, Lisbon Lions.

Bertie was instrumental in Celtic winning their first league title for twelve years in 1966. By this time Stein had converted him from a winger to a deep lying midfield player and he struck up a great relationship with Bobby Murdoch.

In the summer of 1966 Celtic toured North America for six weeks and the Lisbon Lions were born. The following season Celtic were unstoppable and won every competition they entered. In September Celtic demolished Rangers by 2-0 at Parkhead with Murdoch and Auld scoring twice in the first four minutes to effectively end the game much to the delight of the watching Celtic supporters. In October 1966 Bertie created a wonderful goal for Bobby Lennox which won Celtic the League Cup against Rangers with a majestic 40 yard crossfield pass.

In the European Cup semi final first leg against Dukla Prague he fooled the Dukla defence with a short free kick which allowed Willie Wallace to thrash home the vital third goal in a 3-1 win.

In the European Cup final against Inter, the most expensive team in the world, in Lisbon Bertie's performance was simply majestic as he and Murdoch took total control in midfield and he struck the bar after a run and shot in the first ha
lf. Bertie's experience was always vital to the Lions and in the closing minutes he took the ball into the corner, killing vital minutes as the Inter players strived to retain possession. He was absolutely magnificent and irrepressible as he simply ran the show in that final against Inter.

A week after Lisbon, Celtic travelled to Madrid for the great Alfredo Di Stefano's testimonial match. Celtic put on a great show winning 1-0 although Bertie was sent off after an altercation with Real's Amancio in front of a crowd of 120,000 fanatical Spaniards. Not a highlight, but didn't diminish the rest of the occasion. He battled even in these non-competitive games.

In October 1969 he scored the winning goal against St Johnstone to give Celtic their fifth successive League Cup. The Murdoch/Auld partnership was still one of the best in Europe and they proved it in 1969/70. In November Benfica were thumped 3-0 at Parkhead and in March the Italian champions, Fiorentina, were also beaten 3-0. In this game Bertie scored his only goal on the European stage, a superbly drilled low shot from the edge of the area.

In the European Cup semi final ties against Leeds, Murdoch and Auld were to hit their peak. The much vaunted Leeds midfield pairing of Billy Bremner and Johnny Giles were blown away, particularly in the second leg at Hampden in front of an incredible 136,000 crowd with Celtic winning both legs 1-0 and 2-1 respectively. Bertie was pictured after the Hampden game wearing a distinctive Fedora hat, celebrating with the fans. Sadly, Celtic could not carry this form into the final and they lost 2-1 to Feyenoord in Milan.

The 1970/71 season was Bertie's swansong at Parkhead. On January 16th 1971 Bertie was recalled to the side after a period of absence and inspired Celtic to an incredible 8-1 against a strong Dundee side at Dens Park. Many Celtic fans recall this as Celtic's finest display of the Stein years. In March Bertie helped Celtic to 1-0 win over the great Cruyff inspired Ajax team but the lost out after going down 3-0 in Amsterdam. By the time Celtic had won their sixth title in a row in 1971, Bertie played his last game at Parkhead against Clyde in a 6-1 victory. After the game Bertie was carried off the park, shoulder high, by the Celtic players as the Parkhead crowd sang out his name. It was a fitting send off to a great, great Celtic player.

As a creative midfield genius there was no doubting his talent but he was a complete midfielder. He had the sheer pace and mazy dribbling skills of a winger(and played there in his early career), vision and technique of a playmaker and the tenacity of a fiery midfield terrier.

Bertie Auld is easily remembered with his distinctive running style, tousled jet black hair, and huge toothy grin. He had a reputation as a player as a supreme competitor as many will testify. Jack Charlton has often talked of his notorious 'black book' in which he keeps the names of those who have crossed him and it's claimed that Bertie Auld's name is first and foremost on that list.

When St Andrews played host to a fiery encounter between Birmingham winger Bertie Auld and Fulham's Johnny Haynes. Chris Ferns takes up the story: "If memory serves, Haynes fouled Auld, who was legendary for his temper, and was promptly knocked out in retaliation. Auld then flattened another Fulham player who tried to intervene, rendering him unconscious as well. The upshot was that both Auld and Haynes were sent off, the latter via a stretcher."

In 1972 with Bertie at Hibs he came up against Nobby Stiles of Middlesbrough, an old foe from many years previously. Stiles was injured after a clash with Bertie and never played again. Many Scottish players still have the memory of coming off second best against Bertie Auld.

Interesting anecdotes

Bertie to Tiny Wharton(Referee) - "If I call you an a*sehole Mr Wharton will I get booked?"
Tiny. - "Yes Mr Auld. You'd be in trouble."
Bertie.- "What if I just thought you were an a*sehole, what would happen?"
Tiny. - "If you just thought it nothing would happen"
Bertie. - "Well Mr Wharton, I think you're an a*sehole"

John Greig (Rangers): 'Whats your bonus?
Bertie Auld: "£5".
John Greig: "We're on £10."
Bertie Auld: "Ours is guaranteed."
Bertie Auld & John Greig ahead of a Celtic v Rangers game.

At a Q & A at a function at our CSC, when asked "Exactly how hard did you hit that guy in Montevideo..??" Bertie Auld said something like "I'm fae Glasgow, son. How hard dae ye think I hit him...???"
(on infamous game v Racing Club of Argentina, World Club Championship 1967)

Last edited:

MJJ

Bertie to Tiny Wharton(Referee) - "If I call you an a*sehole Mr Wharton will I get booked?"
Tiny. - "Yes Mr Auld. You'd be in trouble."
Bertie.- "What if I just thought you were an a*sehole, what would happen?"
Tiny. - "If you just thought it nothing would happen"
Bertie. - "Well Mr Wharton, I think you're an a*sehole"
:lol:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Thanks @crappycraperson

What this change means is that my midfield has an extra body and some body at that, which can better stifle his centrally oriented attack and Charlton in particular. We can still hit back and reign supreme in the flanks with 2 brilliant wingers who will face his full backs 1v1 more often than not. And I took off Keegan which should please some of you :lol:.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Another hour to go and trailing by 2. Squeaky bum time.

Come on, show Scholes some love yer bastards :devil:

@ Zinedine Zidane
@ Bobby Charlton
@ Xavi
@ Ronaldinhio
@ Fergie

Enough with the quotes, now vote for him :mad:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Charlton + Robson- Daglish>Scholes :D
Even Sir Bobby would have voted for Scholes if he was on here.

"I have no hesitation in putting a name to the embodiment of all that I think is best about football. It's Paul Scholes. Many great players have worn the shirt of Manchester United. Players I worshipped, then lost with my youth in Munich. Players like Denis Law and George Best who I enjoyed so much as team-mates and now, finally, players I have watched closely in the Alex Ferguson era. And in so many ways Scholes is my favourite. I love his nous and conviction that he will find a way to win, to make the killer pass or produce the decisive volley. When a game reaches a vital phase, these qualities seem to come out of his every pore. He's always on the ball, always turning on goal. He's always looking to bring other people into the action and if he loses possession you think he must be ill." - Sir Bobby Charlton

:drool::drool:

"I love watching little Paul Scholes, he’s so in control of what he’s doing and is always so accurate and pinpoint with his passing – it’s just beautiful to watch." -
Sir Bobby Charlton

"For me he (Gerrard) can do everything and that's the reason I'd say he was the best of the three if I had to split them ahead of Scholes and Lampard in that order." - Bryan Robson

:drool:...

Wait what??? FFS Bryan you are doing it all wrong.

MJJ

Even Sir Bobby would have voted for Scholes if he was on here.

"I have no hesitation in putting a name to the embodiment of all that I think is best about football. It's Paul Scholes. Many great players have worn the shirt of Manchester United. Players I worshipped, then lost with my youth in Munich. Players like Denis Law and George Best who I enjoyed so much as team-mates and now, finally, players I have watched closely in the Alex Ferguson era. And in so many ways Scholes is my favourite. I love his nous and conviction that he will find a way to win, to make the killer pass or produce the decisive volley. When a game reaches a vital phase, these qualities seem to come out of his every pore. He's always on the ball, always turning on goal. He's always looking to bring other people into the action and if he loses possession you think he must be ill." - Sir Bobby Charlton

"I love watching little Paul Scholes, he’s so in control of what he’s doing and is always so accurate and pinpoint with his passing – it’s just beautiful to watch." -
Sir Bobby Charlton

"For me he (Gerrard) can do everything and that's the reason I'd say he was the best of the three if I had to split them ahead of Scholes and Lampard in that order." - Bryan Robson

:drool:...

Wait what??? FFS Bryan you are doing it all wrong.
"If I ever faced Sir Bobby in a draft match, he will piss all over my team! What a player" - Paul Scholes

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
fantastic player. Murdoch says hello and that he misses him.
Aye, would have gone for Murdoch if we didn't already have Scholes and Souness. Both were brilliant players and key members of the Lisbon Lions.

Skizzo

Aye, would have gone for Murdoch if we didn't already have Scholes and Souness. Both were brilliant players and key members of the Lisbon Lions.
Most definitely. Thought I already voted on this, guess not.

Leaning towards you guys, I'm really not a huge fan of Charlton and Daglish there. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like they'd negate each other more than anything.

I'd edge the midfield your way now too.

MJJ

Most definitely. Thought I already voted on this, guess not.

Leaning towards you guys, I'm really not a huge fan of Charlton and Daglish there. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like they'd negate each other more than anything.

I'd edge the midfield your way now too.
By playing only one striker and no wingers I dont think that will be the case, lots of wide space and in the middle as well.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
By playing only one striker and no wingers I dont think that will be the case, lots of wide space and in the middle as well.
Eh we are paying Barnes and Liddell as wingers and Armfield as a marauding wing back. Your midfield and the duo behind Lofthouse are brilliant but I would back my defensive trio and my excellent complete midfield to hold them and strike back through the wings. We are better suited to handling your centrally oriented attack than you our wingers imo.

Your team really misses a speedy wing presence to give it another dimension, to complement your fantastic central attackers and make it complete imo.

Edit: My mistake, thought you were talking about my team. Apologies.

Skizzo

If that's what you want them to do, I feel they are a bit wasted. They would both do a bit more damage through the middle in preferred roles. Not saying they COULDN'T do a job there...just that I don't see them at their best with each other there.

MJJ

Eh we are paying Barnes and Liddell as wingers and Armfield as a marauding wing back. Your midfield and the duo behind Lofthouse are brilliant but I would back my defensive trio and my excellent complete midfield to hold them and strike back through the wings. We are better suited to handling your centrally oriented attack than you our wingers imo.

Your team really misses a speedy wing presence to give it another dimension, to complement your fantastic central attackers and make it complete imo.

Edit: My mistake, thought you were talking about my team. Apologies.
Yup was my side but I can really see charlton exploiting the gap between armfield o' leary here.

If that's what you want them to do, I feel they are a bit wasted. They would both do a bit more damage through the middle in preferred roles. Not saying they COULDN'T do a job there...just that I don't see them at their best with each other there.
No no they will be primarily attacking through the middle, was just saying that there is a lot of space for both to maneuver so wont get into each other way.

Skizzo

Yup was my side but I can really see charlton exploiting the gap between armfield o' leary here.

No no they will be primarily attacking through the middle, was just saying that there is a lot of space for both to maneuver so wont get into each other way.
Ah ok, gotcha.

Well, decisions decisions. Guess I better make my mind up. Not a fan of not voting at all (If i remember to :lol: ) but this is a toughie. Not sure if my vote will make a difference either with only a little time left.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
:eek:
Sober up, Bryan!

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Tbf its a back 3 of sorts with Greig, Franklin and O'Leary with Armfield being the adventurous one. Like the Barca Alves overloading the right and complementing Liddell who'd be looking at cutting in.

A back 3 makes more sense than a lb who'd have feckall to do there in this game. I'd acknowledged Greig's role in the write up as the third cb but my formation could have portrayed this better tbh. As such I don't see a gap between O'Leary and Armfield to be exploited.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Just 1 vote in it now. :nervous: Going right down the wire this one.

Where the feck is everyone? :mad: This game deserves some last minute drama.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Well great game @MJJ and @manikandan nair

Threw everything at the sink to get back after getting crystalbul-ed but to no avail.

Good luck for your future matches and hope you guys get that speedy wing presence to complete your team. It's brimming with quality as of now itself but just needs a bit more balance tbh.

Cheers for the great draft @crappycraperson and @Barney

Last edited:

Mani

Jogo and Barney, well played guys.
Our poor drafting screwed us lot.
Never played draft as close as this.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
good luck to you both! @MJJ @Joga Bonito .....and I guess @Barney as well :p
Just came across this :nono:. Barney's been excellent to draft with and we've both had equal input on this team. He's been surprisingly objective and he's knowledgeable as well.

We were supposed to alternate managing the 2 matches. I took charge of the first one but unfortunately he was busy for the second one which meant I had to step in.

MJJ

Well great game @MJJ and @manikandan nair

Threw everything at the sink to get back after getting crystalbul-ed but to no avail.

Good luck for your future matches and hope you guys get that speedy wing presence to complete your team. It's brimming with quality as of now itself but just needs a bit more balance tbh.

Cheers for the great draft @crappycraperson and @Barney
THanks Joga, was a good game from both of you.

Its weird,I fully expected to lose this game due to the scholes-barnes axis and win the EAP one.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Just 1 vote in it now. :nervous: Going right down the wire this one.

Where the feck is everyone? :mad: This game deserves some last minute drama.
and @Barney

Balls, sorry guys but the poll closed halfway through my sleep. Didn't see the late drama coming and, while I thought MJJ was too far behind for my liking, it didn't feel right to artificially bring it closer after all the help he got.

You missed a trick there, you let the entire game revolve around how MJJ's team could work, or not, how it could improve... And next thing you know everyone is clear about his gameplan while completely forgetting who is even in your lineup. You should have been far more disruptive, you can't let the discussion settle into a one-sided/one-track mind if it works against you.

Annahnomoss

and @Barney

Balls, sorry guys but the poll closed halfway through my sleep. Didn't see the late drama coming and, while I thought MJJ was too far behind for my liking, it didn't feel right to artificially bring it closer after all the help he got.

You missed a trick there, you let the entire game revolve around how MJJ's team could work, or not, how it could improve... And next thing you know everyone is clear about his gameplan while completely forgetting who is even in your lineup. You should have been far more disruptive, you can't let the discussion settle into a one-sided/one-track mind if it works against you.
I really dislike that kind of talk in general. "Who do you have on the bench? How can we as voters change your team to the better?". One thing if it is a quick note of "I don't like that you did this" but actively laying out the blue print of the entire operation I think is a bit over the top.

Like you say he should have disrupted it or frankly just stated that it wasn't too kind to him to have that length and depth on that sort of conversation.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
and @Barney

Agreed :(.

Tbh I thought it was mostly negative scrutiny on how to improve his team and pointing out the slight lack of balance in his team. I'd assumed people liked my team and just left it at that. Just felt weird randomly bigging up my team or posting a compilation vid when no one was talking about our team.

When I signed off after the United match it was 8-4 to us and it was fine. Nothing to add to or say at that point really. I logged on later to see us losing 8-11 with only Chester giving his reasons for voting for Mjj (he did change his vote later though) and it really left me shocked tbh :lol: . The thread had hardly been bumped between that time.

Point taken though, should have been more disruptive and not let discussions been so one-sided. I'm a draft newbie still :D

Anyway it was a group of death and was bound to be close. Lost 2 matches by a single vote. Bloody tight games. Great teams with EAP's excellent diamond and Mjj's team with top notch individuals which is probably 1 or 2 signings away from being a formidable team with good balance.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I thought that you were one of the favorites in this draft. Beautifully drafted team and some fantastic write-ups. Hard luck @Joga Bonito @Barney

Annahnomoss

I thought that you were one of the favorites in this draft. Beautifully drafted team and some fantastic write-ups. Hard luck @Joga Bonito @Barney
I agree, they looked beast-like in the drafting and you know the write-ups will be on point when Joga is there so I was expecting a team that would absolutely maul the lesser and go out swinging to win against the best. The attempt to balance their naturally adept offense with a defensive left back and shackling Souness further back kind of took away their main competitive advantage.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I really dislike that kind of talk in general. "Who do you have on the bench? How can we as voters change your team to the better?". One thing if it is a quick note of "I don't like that you did this" but actively laying out the blue print of the entire operation I think is a bit over the top.

Like you say he should have disrupted it or frankly just stated that it wasn't too kind to him to have that length and depth on that sort of conversation.
Spot on.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The early finish caught me out on this one. Some comeback from MJJ. Barney/Joga are very unlucky to be dropping out given they were tactically almost spot-on, had the best central midfield partnership in the draft and were supported by a number of under-rated gems (Franklin, O'Leary, Armfield, Liddell, McGrory).