Music Bruce Springsteen

Northstand

Must be some fans in, surely?

Since buying "The River" in 1980 I've loved most of this guy's music. Albums like Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town, Tunnel of Love and Nebraska are all-time greats, and for me, even his recent album, though not in that class, is still excellent.

Springsteen is headlining at Glastonbury this year so maybe he (and the E Street Band) will have more exposure to a younger audience.

kps88

Big fan. Found his last album dissapointing though.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
Born in the USA is my favorite album of his, although i havent heard them all yet

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Love him, saw him last year...

I'm playing at a Springsteen classic album night on Friday.... doing a version of my hometown and glory days..

El B

I keep meaning to listen to more of his stuff. You should check out The Hold Steady, similiar style of songwriting. Obviously influenced by him but they haven't ripped him off

Leg-End

He is brilliant as well as the E-Street band. Born to Run is one of the best albums of all time imo. The newer stuff is not outstanding but I still enjoy listening to it more than 99% of the shit they pump out these days.

I recently found an old bootleg of live piano performances, some incredible stuff actually.

redhoop

I am seeing him for the first time at Glastonbury. I am not that familiar with his stuff so I have just got the Greatest Hits album in preparation - its good to hear so many people saying he is great live - very exciting!

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
As I grew up at the Jersey Shore... I've got a few Springsteen stories.

The one that defines that knuckle-head that my Uncle is;

Back in the early 1970's my uncle, a general contractor, had been working with a plumber that went by the name of Springsteen Plumbing. The plumber says to my uncle, 'I have to cut out early, my cousin is a lead singer of a band and I help moving his equiptment with my van.'. My uncle says to him, 'Oh, yeah... what's the name of the band?'.

The plumber replies, 'It's named after my cousin, The Bruce Springsteen and the E st. Band.'. My uncle replies, 'Bruce Springsteen?! He'll never make it with a name like that...'.

Suffice to say - My uncle couldn't have been more wrong.

Had seen him perform in Washington DC in January.

very good performance.

Northstand

I am seeing him for the first time at Glastonbury. I am not that familiar with his stuff so I have just got the Greatest Hits album in preparation - its good to hear so many people saying he is great live - very exciting!
Lucky you! Get hold of Darkness on the Edge of Town and Born to Run albums as the band play a lot of stuff from those albums live.

By the way, most of the band have been regulars with Bruce for over 30 years, and yes they ARE great live.

Ivor Ballokov

I fecking love Springsteen, seen him twice and he is fantastic, still throws himself around the stage like a good 'un. Gutted I won't be going to see him this year. Toss up between Born to Run and Nebraska being my favourites but he's pumped out a hell of a lot of real classic songs.

Oh and Clarence is a legend too!

Love him, saw him last year...

I'm playing at a Springsteen classic album night on Friday.... doing a version of my hometown and glory days..
Sends shivers down my spine that one. Are you recording the show at all? Wouldn't hearing your take on it.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
As I grew up at the Jersey Shore... I've got a few Springsteen stories.

The one that defines that knuckle-head that my Uncle is;

Back in the early 1970's my uncle, a general contractor, had been working with a plumber that went by the name of Springsteen Plumbing. The plumber says to my uncle, 'I have to cut out early, my cousin is a lead singer of a band and I help moving his equiptment with my van.'. My uncle says to him, 'Oh, yeah... what's the name of the band?'.

The plumber replies, 'It's named after my cousin, The Bruce Springsteen and the E st. Band.'. My uncle replies, 'Bruce Springsteen?! He'll never make it with a name like that...'.

Suffice to say - My uncle couldn't have been more wrong.

Had seen him perform in Washington DC in January.

very good performance.
:lol: Great story....any more? I'll pass them on my mrs who's a huge BS fan.

I like some of his stuff but can take it of leave it....I did enjoy seeing him at Old Trafford around this time last year.....although seeing Silvio from the Sopranos meant just as much.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes

Thanks to moses for finding this clip.

Leg-End

I have the Live in New York album that thats on, it has a high play count.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Yeh I find that weird. Kind of like when we used to boo Ruud every time he scored.

:confused:

hehe

ninja_alan

Seen him live once. Only bad thing i can say about the show is that he didn't play this song.

My favorite Springsteen song, and this version is just mind blowing.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I saw him at Wembley in 1985, Villa Park in 1987 and here in Sacramento a few years ago. The man knows how to put on a show. I got to meet his drummer, Max Weinberg, too. He was a top bloke.

Kinky Melinky

I've got time for the Boss, it's almost fashionable to dislike him in some parts but he has so many good songs that have made me a fan for a while now.

He's a classic american singer/songwriter and a good guy to boot.
And you'll find those parts are filled with dumb shits who haven't the foggiest notion of what music is, let alone what it takes to be as diverse as the Boss is. These people are why the U.K Top 10 is what it is.

They don't deserve to know that Bruce Springstein is as good and diverse as he is

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
i love bruce - saw him three times in 1988 .
it was even worth sitting through peter gabriel to see him headline the amnesty 88 concert.
I was there too Erica. Great day in spite of the the sanctimonious Peter Gabriel. My wife and I were taking bets as to how long it would be before he played "Biko".

Flying Fox

Streets of Philadelphia just came onto my iPod. Great song, great artist. Have a lot of time for him, and my old man too, for introducing me to his stuff a few years ago.

The Rising too, is an exceptional song, imo.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I was there too Erica. Great day in spite of the the sanctimonious Peter Gabriel. My wife and I were taking bets as to how long it would be before he played "Biko".
wasn't he awful?

( plus i fell asleep during tracy chapman ;) )
I was also there and thoroughly enjoyed all 3. Tracy Chapman in particular had the audience enthralled.

I like early Springsteen the most even though some of his later stuff has also been very good. I am less keen on his Born In the USA era stuff even though there are good tracks there as well.

alan_nis

And you'll find those parts are filled with dumb shits who haven't the foggiest notion of what music is, let alone what it takes to be as diverse as the Boss is. These people are why the U.K Top 10 is what it is.

They don't deserve to know that Bruce Springstein is as good and diverse as he is
So are you saying that anybody who doesn't rate him has no clue about music ?

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Good story from a guy in the Newbies....

happyhippo said:
I can't post on this but I reckon this Bruce story is worth copying over.
Two years a few of my mates went to a pub in Dublin that is known to be frequented by Bono every once in a while. They noticed Bono sitting in the corner with some lad and decided to go over and ask for a photo, they got the lad sitting next to Bono to take it.
A few nights later, after getting photo's printed, they went back to see if they could put photo up on the wall. The barman said no problem and then said " I have been thinking about that night since and have been wondering was there any reason you didn't want Bruce Springsteen in the photo as well"
Needless to say the boys have still never lived it down

Kinky Melinky

So are you saying that anybody who doesn't rate him has no clue about music ?
You know what, I was going to be diplomatic and hold back, but I'm just going to come right out and say it. If someone cannot see that Bruce Springstein is a great musician they are absolutely clueless

You don't have to like him. Liking him and knowing he's outstanding at what he does are 2 different things

I don't like Nick Cave, for example, but I know how good he is.