Bruno Backup

Bondi77

Lots of talk here about punting Lingard and yet I think he would be our most suited player to fill in for Bruno if he picked up an injury.
We saw what he was like at the Hammers with a consistent run at the end of the season and he was arguably the best in the division in that period.
We have to realise he is already at the club and he is not going to throw tantrums if he is not selected every week but if Bruno did pick up a substantial injury then he would be handy to have.

Green_Red

Playing for West Ham and playing for United is completely different. Teams don't sit in against West Ham. Lingard is capable on the break with space to run into and time to think about a pass but he can't break down a defence and is rubbish in close interplay. He's not the guy and should be sold.

RedCurry

Hannibal should step up and be Bruno’s understudy this season.

SAFMUTD

I think if Bruno needs a replacement the natural choice would be Sancho, and use Greenwood on the right.

meamth

I want to believe in Lingard, but obviously that hope won't materialize after how many seasons with us.

He can do the job in odd games, but we all know he will just waste his career if he stayed for another season with United. He himself should be aware of this, and should move to other PL club.

Bruno never gets injured, even if he is rested, we have better options now.

Edit: Bruno > VDB > Shoretire/Mejbri

Last edited:

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
One season at West Ham doesn’t do anything for my opinion on Lingard. He’s had enough opportunities at United and has shown he isn’t up to it. I would rather that backup to Bruno spot be rotated between VDB/Mata/Shoretire or some other young one.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Whoever the player is, he is likely not going to play enough games anyway. I don’t think Lingard wants that. Bruno is almost like Evra was with us. Can play almost every games and rarely get injured. So I think the most efficient solution is use who we already have if we want to rest Bruno. Sancho, Pogba, and VDB can play in his position.

justsomebloke

Lots of talk here about punting Lingard and yet I think he would be our most suited player to fill in for Bruno if he picked up an injury.
We saw what he was like at the Hammers with a consistent run at the end of the season and he was arguably the best in the division in that period.
We have to realise he is already at the club and he is not going to throw tantrums if he is not selected every week but if Bruno did pick up a substantial injury then he would be handy to have.
We've already seen how Lingard works in the no 10 role at United, in many many games. He doesn't.

georgipep

Yeah, if only we played in the same way as West Ham did, it would work. Just like it worked with Mourinho and earlier in Ole's time with us, when we were much more defensive and counter-attacking. But we are not that team anymore and Lingard is not as good when it comes to breaking down teams.

justsomebloke

I think if Bruno needs a replacement the natural choice would be Sancho, and use Greenwood on the right.
I agree that's an intriguing option, apparently he can play in that position. I wonder if Greenwood can too? He looked pretty good going down the middle against Brentford.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
VdB should be that player, though im not sure if he offers enough. Another option would definitely be Sancho at 10.

pacifictheme

Whoever the player is, he is likely not going to play enough games anyway. I don’t think Lingard wants that. Bruno is almost like Evra was with us. Can play almost every games and rarely get injured. So I think the most efficient solution is use who we already have if we want to rest Bruno. Sancho, Pogba, and VDB can play in his position.
Bruno doesn't get injured but he absolutely suffers badly from fatigue. His form went down the toilet end of last season, he needs rotating like anyone else.

Idxomer

Pogba if he stays, Sancho, and even Amad are all better options at #10 than Lingard.

Bondi77

If Lingard wants to play every week than he would have informed Ole and I think he would be leaving but I highly doubt that.
I have seen all the candidates mentioned and Pogba would be the only contender but we have seen it before and he is not a good finisher and he loses the ball a lot in tight spaces.
I have not seen Sancho play in the role and VDB has shown nothing to suggest he can and Mata is past it and apart from Greenwood I don’t think the others mentioned have played a full game yet.
I know Lingard has his limitations but he still seems the best bet to me.

McSauce FC

From what I’ve gathered it seems Ole would like to keep Lingard as a second or third option, but Lingard would rather want to be a first or second option.

SirScholes

We also saw he was shite for years so no thank you

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Firstly, he already has had consistent runs with us - of not being good enough. Secondly you can't keep a player you believe can't do the job as a backup but needs a consistent run and hence is here for the contingency of Bruno having a long term injury.

Sparky Rhiwabon

There’s no point talking about VDB as he would have played more last season, when Bruno was clearly knackered, if Ole saw him as a viable back up.

This discussion also depends somewhat on whether we are really going to switch to a 433

amolbhatia50k

In Bruno's absence we should really just be going for a 433 and better keep ball. It would make a good plan B as well. Only thing we need is proper CMs to fulfill this daring vision of mine :lol:

amolbhatia50k

There’s no point talking about VDB as he would have played more last season, when Bruno was clearly knackered, if Ole saw him as a viable back up.

This discussion also depends somewhat on whether we are really going to switch to a 433
Yeah I barely consider VDB as an option right now. He's in the 'is he really good enough for this standard?!" basket right now and has to prove his way out of it first before we start drawing up fancy plans taking him into account.

wolvored

I think people have short memories of Lingard. He went over a year, was it 14 months? Playing regularly without a goal or assist. Simply a headless chicken who worked when he first went to West Ham, but even there he dried up in the last few games.

Dan_F

The irony is Bruno is only going to be rested in “easier” games, yet against deep defences is when we rely on his creativity.

redrobed

I know it sounds like the Glazers have already finished with the transfer window but what about that lad from Ligue 1 - Aouar I think his name is? Sounds like he’d be a bargain for the 35m or so being touted. Can’t really lose at that price. He’s like a Riquelme type player with bags of creativity and technical ability and really good with his feet.

DannyDee

VDB is the back-up if it is indeed a single pivot 4-3-3 (although, he could also be starting in that formation if Pogba is moved), if we are running a 4-2-3-1 with Bruno out I wouldn't be shocked to see Sancho tried there but could also be Pogba with McFred behind him. In early cup games or vs non-EPL teams they could be giving youngsters like Mejbri a shot.

Smores

'He's shown he can be half decent with consistent games so let's put him back in a bench role where he's proven to underperform'.

That's how i read the OP and i obviously disagree. It's best for both parties he moves on.

We've got Sancho, Pogba, VDB, Amad, Hannibal, who could all cover there.

Ekeke

If Bruno did go down with an injury for a long period, Lingard in and trying to recapture last season's form would probably be our best bet sure...

But in every other scenario, cashing in on Lingard at the one time we'd get decent money for him and using that to strengthen our every week lineup is the better choice

El Jefe

If Pogba stays, the we move to a midfield 3 without a No.10.

OL29

I think Van de Beek would do well on that role given a run of games. He’s not got Bruno‘s cutting edge but he retains the ball a bit better.

Bondi77

If Bruno did go down with an injury for a long period, Lingard in and trying to recapture last season's form would probably be our best bet sure...

But in every other scenario, cashing in on Lingard at the one time we'd get decent money for him and using that to strengthen our every week lineup is the better choice
Fair point.
I only started the thread with the scenario of Bruno being out for a while which I obviously hope does not happen and I agree that Jesse’s stock is at its highest it is going to be.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Nah it’s time to cash in. Plenty of other players who can play that role who I would choose over Lingard.