Bruno Fernandes | United not interested due to doubts over passing ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Sell Pogba and get in Maddison and Fernandes? I'd still rather have Pogba but if he's unhappy I guess it's not a bad deal.
Signing two #10s wouldn't work IMO. Sign one and add a playmaking #8 with high work rate like Houssam Aouar along with Sean Longstaff for the deeper role. Would be a more balanced midfield IMO.

KDB17

Supports
Manchester City
Recent rumors and odds look like Liverpool may lead the race for him now. Knowing Spurs they won't be buying him after spending so much on Ndombele, so I'm really not sure who else is in for him other than you and pool. He'd take either you or them up a level, seems to be the type of player both clubs could really use.

Le Red

I feel like we're signing the wrong player here. I like Cristiano but I prefer Joe Cole to this guy. Joe Cole is more proven in EPL while Cristiano only had one amazing season which is in portugal.
Just swapped the names for perspective.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Don’t you think it’s important for Liverpool to strengthen on the back of success? I would have thought that you guys were also still looking to strengthen creative midfield after the Fekir deal fell through, and that you now have both money and a good bargaining position to lure players your way. You would know more about this than me, though. What do you think?
I would like to see us strengthen, but personally I don't feel Bruno Fernandes is any better than Keita or Oxlade Chamberlain?

His stats for the last two years look incredible, but having seen Liverpool play Porto twice in the last two years, I'd argue that the Primeira Liga is on a par with the English Championship at the moment in terms of quality.

The Fekir deal was a weird one, because I really don't see where he would have played last season? our creativity was based on our fullbacks and wide forwards, our midfielders need to be disciplined and industrious rather than creative.

I haven't seen any credible sources linking Liverpool with Fernandes?

In my opinion Liverpool only really need a versatile forward, but it seems like we will be promoting Brewster and Wilson to the first team next season, so I'm really not expecting any major signings now.

Last edited by a moderator:

dasty

When was the last time an attacker signed from Portugese league became an instant hit in epl ? Or how many cases can you mention after CR7 ?
What's wrong with the Portuguese League? Their recent imports include Neves, Jota, Jimenez, R.Pereira whom were all very good players in EPL last season. Jovic, Ederson, Semedo, Lindelof, Guedes, B.Silva all came from Portugal too. No idea why are you so quickly dismissing the league when they have consistently produced great players.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
What's wrong with the Portuguese League? Their recent imports include Neves, Jota, Jimenez, R.Pereira whom were all very good players in EPL last season. Jovic, Ederson, Semedo, Lindelof, Guedes, B.Silva all came from Portugal too. No idea why are you so quickly dismissing the league when they have consistently produced great players.
I specifically meant attackers. Now please tell me how many made an instant impact in epl.

I didn't dismiss the league at all. What I meant was 70m on an attacker from Portugese league is daylight robbery and don't think he will make that instant impact which everyone is hoping for.

CognitiveNeuro

In my opinion Liverpool only really need a versatile forward, but it seems like we will be promoting Brewster and Wilson to the first team next season, so I'm really not expecting any major signings now.
Liverpool also need backups to fullbacks. Moreno is gone. Camacho is gone. Clyne is gone. Robertson gets injured and it's going to be really risky having Milner cover that spot. He got done time and time again when asked to cover the fullbacks position last season. I still believe letting Clyne go is one of the stupidest moves they could have done. I also believe playing Gomez at RB is a liability. He's excellent at CB though.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I would like to see us strengthen, but personally I don't feel Bruno Fernandes is any better than Keita or Oxlade Chamberlain?

His stats for the last two years look incredible, but having seen Liverpool play Porto twice in the last two years, I'd argue that the Primeira Liga is on a par with the English Championship at the moment in terms of quality.

The Fekir deal was a weird one, because I really don't see where he would have played last season? our creativity was based on our fullbacks and wide forwards, our midfielders need to be disciplined and industrious rather than creative.
Shaqiri got plenty of games in central midfield because of the frequent disconnect between midfield and attack we had playing with two 8s in front of a 6.

Keita helped somewhat as he has the technical ability to link up with the forwards in and around the final third, but he's an 8 himself, not a 10.

Klopp's game plan has always centered around having a creative 10/8 in midfield. Last season was an exception borne out of our previous 10s all being either sold (Coutinho) or injured (Lallana, chamberlain) and the deal for the replacement 10 collapsing in the last minute.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
The only time I can remember Shaqiri playing in the 10 role was against Southampton, when he got taken off at half time?

Liverpool also need backups to fullbacks. Moreno is gone. Camacho is gone. Clyne is gone. Robertson gets injured and it's going to be really risky having Milner cover that spot. He got done time and time again when asked to cover the fullbacks position last season. I still believe letting Clyne go is one of the stupidest moves they could have done. I also believe playing Gomez at RB is a liability. He's excellent at CB though.
Yeah Gomez does struggle at RB. Clyne was let go because he offers so little going forward. The way our full backs play its more important to be a good footballer, than a defender. We could do with another Left back, but in terms of Right back we have Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Fabinho, Milner and Henderson who can play there if necessary. Sessegnon would be an ideal left back for us, but he's rumored to have already agreed a deal with Spurs.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
How on earth do you fit Fernandes and Pogba in the same side?
Be better in possession? High workrate? Disciplined Fullbacks? Disciplined DM? Good tactics? City trounced the league for two seasons with Silva and KDB as attacking midfielders.
It's not impossible, bit we need to be tactically spot on.

CognitiveNeuro

The only time I can remember Shaqiri playing in the 10 role was against Southampton, when he got taken off at half time?

Yeah Gomez does struggle at RB. Clyne was let go because he offers so little going forward. The way our full backs play its more important to be a good footballer, than a defender. We could do with another Left back, but in terms of Right back we have Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Fabinho, Milner and Henderson who can play there if necessary. Sessegnon would be an ideal left back for us, but he's rumored to have already agreed a deal with Spurs.
I don't know where fans get this idea that Clyne offers so little going forward. So you think that Milner and Henderson offers more going forward at RB? Clyne was very good at attacking before he got injured. Ofcourse he didn't provide the same kind of crosses and assists as TAA but it makes no sense to say he wasn't good enough offensively when you replaced him with Milner. The poor run which costed the title in the end coincided with Milner/Henderson and Fabinho having to fill in at defense.

Fabinho has said he doesn't want to play at RB already. Milner and Henderson are literally central midfielders having to put a shift in at RB. You would end up in the same position as in January where you are sacrificing midfielders for defenders, comprising midfield strength which led to the draws.

So really it's TAA and Gomez at RB which isn't bad if Gomez remains fit which is a big IF (and Matip retains his form).

But LB is the more pressing issue.

RedCurry

The way you fit silva and de bruyne into the same side.
So basically hire Pep, find the best DM in the world, change the playing style to possession based football, buy at least one, maybe two centre backs who are good on the ball, buy a goalkeeper who can be involved in build up play amongst various things that are needed to take all the defensive burden away from your attacking midfielders.

Grande

I haven't seen any credible sources linking Liverpool with Fernandes?

Thanks. I’m not sure Fernandes is better than ox and Keita either, but a bit different kind of player. Wether he is of Klopp’s taste I don’t know. I do suspect liverpool will need a bit more variety and depth next year to have a good chance of repeating this year (a necessity to challenge city I’m afraid). But I’m not underestimating Klopp one more time.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I don't know where fans get this idea that Clyne offers so little going forward. So you think that Milner and Henderson offers more going forward at RB? Clyne was very good at attacking before he got injured. Ofcourse he didn't provide the same kind of crosses and assists as TAA but it makes no sense to say he wasn't good enough offensively when you replaced him with Milner. The poor run which costed the title in the end coincided with Milner/Henderson and Fabinho having to fill in at defense.

Fabinho has said he doesn't want to play at RB already. Milner and Henderson are literally central midfielders having to put a shift in at RB. You would end up in the same position as in January where you are sacrificing midfielders for defenders, comprising midfield strength which led to the draws.

So really it's TAA and Gomez at RB which isn't bad if Gomez remains fit which is a big IF (and Matip retains his form).

But LB is the more pressing issue.
Milner clearly offers a lot more going forward from right back than Clyne.

Clyne is decent on the ball as far as building from the back towards the final third goes, but as the team evolved towards more offensive output from the fullbacks, it also became increasingly clear that more was being asked of him than he had in him. Teams eventually just started giving him acres of space because they knew he couldn't do much with it. This is all prior to his injury.

CognitiveNeuro

Milner clearly offers a lot more going forward from right back than Clyne.

Clyne is decent on the ball as far as building from the back towards the final third goes, but as the team evolved towards more offensive output from the fullbacks, it also became increasingly clear that more was being asked of him than he had in him. Teams eventually just started giving him acres of space because they knew he couldn't do much with it. This is all prior to his injury.
Don't be absurd. Milner clearly does not offer a lot more going forward than Clyne at left back. That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard with respect to football.
Milner does almost nothing when it comes to offensive output from a fullback position.

No one gave Clyne acres of space. United certainly didn't in his last game and even in the pre-season games this season, Napoli and Man City were pressing him anytime he came near the half way line.
Teams never gave him acres of space before his injury as well. This is just made up. Go watch some youtube clips of him, dude.

Either you're trolling or something is wrong with you. In any case I feel like I'm wasting my time discussing Milner's offensive output from LB. :lol:

It was a horrible move from Liverpool and it cost them the title. The draws came right after when they had to shift their midfield to defense.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Be better in possession? High workrate? Disciplined Fullbacks? Disciplined DM? Good tactics? City trounced the league for two seasons with Silva and KDB as attacking midfielders.
It's not impossible, bit we need to be tactically spot on.
Although kdb barely actually played last season.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Don't be absurd. Milner clearly does not offer a lot more going forward than Clyne at left back. That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard with respect to football.
Milner does almost nothing when it comes to offensive output from a fullback position.

No one gave Clyne acres of space. United certainly didn't in his last game and even in the pre-season games this season, Napoli and Man City were pressing him anytime he came near the half way line.
Teams never gave him acres of space before his injury as well. This is just made up. Go watch some youtube clips of him, dude.

Either you're trolling or something is wrong with you. In any case I feel like I'm wasting my time discussing Milner's offensive output from LB. :lol:

It was a horrible move from Liverpool and it cost them the title. The draws came right after when they had to shift their midfield to defense.
This is very bizarre.

Milner offers a lot going forwards from fullback.

Equally bizarre is being told to "watch YouTube clips" of games I actually watched in full back then to form a proper assessment.

So is the claim that we lost the title due to Milner playing ahead of Clyne for a few games.

But I suppose trolls accusing others of trolling is par for the course. Either way I'm out.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
This is very bizarre.

Milner offers a lot going forwards from fullback.

Equally bizarre is being told to "watch YouTube clips" of games I actually watched in full back then to form a proper assessment.

So is the claim that we lost the title due to Milner playing ahead of Clyne for a few games.

But I suppose trolls accusing others of trolling is par for the course. Either way I'm out.
Great! :D

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
People will argue anything won't they.

Not sure which is the weirder claim reading up.
That milner provides good attack from full back.
Or that playing milner full back cos them the title!

Lee565

I curious as to if we will really sign this guy if Pogba stays, I mean it would be pretty exciting from an attacking point of view to have these two in midfield but with it looking like we will make do with Matic as our 1st choice defensive midfielder, defensively we would be terribly exposed.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I curious as to if we will really sign this guy if Pogba stays, I mean it would be pretty exciting from an attacking point of view to have these two in midfield but with it looking like we will make do with Matic as our 1st choice defensive midfielder, defensively we would be terribly exposed.
What if Pogba is injured?

We need a second creative CM.

zenith

They can both play together in a 4-2-2-2 formation with two mids providing cover.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
So what's happening with this guy? Is he likely to be signing for United?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
So what's happening with this guy? Is he likely to be signing for United?
Personally, I think so. I think sporting are just trying their hardest to get the most amount for their player, which is fair. Don’t see many other teams interested at the price.

Nitewolf

How on earth do you fit Fernandes and Pogba in the same side?
You play with one DM and keep both of your Fullbacks inverted, close to the DM to support the build up and maintain a first line of defense. Same like what Pep is doing in Man City with Walker and Mendy.

Status
Not open for further replies.