Bruno Fernandes | United not interested due to doubts over passing ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suvvernmanc

Thank you for the summary. Is he a CM that can keep the play ticking and sort of dictate the tempo though? Because this is the type of player we lack as it seems Pogba does not want to do that job at United, unlike he does for France, for some reason.

I can only see him coming and starting for the team if Pogba is certainly leaving. Not sure how we can incorporate 2 attack-minded players in midfield, considering that our DM will most definitely be Matic, who has the turning rate of a train.
I've said before in this thread that he could play with Pogba. Weve been playing a diamond alot last season. So Pogba on the left and bruno leading the diamond.

If we play a 433 next season with an actual right winger, then Bruno and Pogba playing together might not work.

City playing with De Bruyne and Silva works well as they've got a great number 6 and a team that all works hard when they lose possession.

So it could work for us if we played a different way or maybe against weaker teams but we would definitely still need a better number 6.

Cerberus

Thank you for the summary. Is he a CM that can keep the play ticking and sort of dictate the tempo though? Because this is the type of player we lack as it seems Pogba does not want to do that job at United, unlike he does for France, for some reason.

I can only see him coming and starting for the team if Pogba is certainly leaving. Not sure how we can incorporate 2 attack-minded players in midfield, considering that our DM will most definitely be Matic, who has the turning rate of a train.
Stats-wise, Bruno Fernandes seems defensively capable when he plays as a deeper CM for Sporting. He averages roughly the same interceptions and tackles per game as William Carvalho -- would appreciate someone who watches Sporting consistently to chime in on this. He's best as a #10 behind the striker, but he's incredibly versatile as a midfielder so I don't imagine pairing him with Pogba deeper in the midfield would be terrible. To get the most out of him, though, we'd need to play the 4-2-3-1 diamond with him in front of Pogba and another more defensive-minded midfielder. I'm not convinced Matic and Fred can do the job defensively in this setup so our backline will likely still be exposed, but Fernandes will offer substantially more creativity going forward than our current options. We'll see Pogba and Rashford produce a lot more linking up with a player like that.

RedCurry

I've said before in this thread that he could play with Pogba. Weve been playing a diamond alot last season. So Pogba on the left and bruno leading the diamond.

City playing with De Bruyne and Silva works well as they've got a great number 6 and a team that all works hard when they lose possession.

So it could work for us if we played a different way or maybe against weaker teams but we would definitely still need a better number 6.
That's the only scenario in which Pogba and Bruno could get in the same team. If you play two midfielders who are primarily just attacking players, you need the entire setup to be able to support it. You first need that number 6 and you need to be able to play a possession game so that your team doesn't have to defend much. We lack the players and the coaches to be able to do it.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I just feel that this guy is heading to Liverpool, can feel it in my water (as my Nan used to say)

mewnew11

That's the only scenario in which Pogba and Bruno could get in the same team. If you play two midfielders who are primarily just attacking players, you need the entire setup to be able to support it. You first need that number 6 and you need to be able to play a possession game so that your team doesn't have to defend much. We lack the players and the coaches to be able to do it.
Ole will go with a 4-2-2-2 with pogba and Bruno behind the forwards. This system allows great flexibility and pressing from the front. It's a system which was deployed by Watford last season and to great effect.

This system will also bring the best attacking input from both Bruno and pogba while not compromising on defence.

BrianLy

How can he understand the commercial value of a footballer if he does not understand the footballer
This is based on a flawed premise. How does the CEO of Tesco understand the value of the marketing, quality management, or other talent that they hire? This is thousands of people. Once you go past 10 employees management significantly changes. This is well understood management science.

They understand their direct reports, and probably have enough interactions with up to 150 other people to sort of know how they are doing. That's the scope of who they understand. They don't get to talk to all of their suppliers individually, and while they probably make some PR efforts once a year to work in a store, there is just not time to do this!

What CEOs have to do is delegate. They try to have trusted lieutenants who'll run areas well and have good up and down communication. When people who are more in the know talk about problems in the club, this is what they are getting at. You can think you have the best staff below you, but are people too with their own motivations. Our relationships with Raiola or other agents are driven at these lower levels and at some point a CEO can't be in every discussion. It is however his responsibility to fix things from the top down which is not as easy as you may think. Imagine if the head of scouting is actually a family friend of Sir Bobby. Sir Bobby and the CEO may know that the scout is not doing their job and even talk about it candidly. This does not change the fact that they are still bound by good management (try to rehabilitate the scout), employment law (contract may make it difficult to shift him), and the fact that there is a personal relationship that needs to be managed.

Bwuk

I'm assuming he takes set pieces? Otherwise 34 goals and 16 assists is just unrreal.

DFreshKing

This is based on a flawed premise. How does the CEO of Tesco understand the value of the marketing, quality management, or other talent that they hire? This is thousands of people. Once you go past 10 employees management significantly changes. This is well understood management science.

They understand their direct reports, and probably have enough interactions with up to 150 other people to sort of know how they are doing. That's the scope of who they understand. They don't get to talk to all of their suppliers individually, and while they probably make some PR efforts once a year to work in a store, there is just not time to do this!

What CEOs have to do is delegate. They try to have trusted lieutenants who'll run areas well and have good up and down communication. When people who are more in the know talk about problems in the club, this is what they are getting at. You can think you have the best staff below you, but are people too with their own motivations. Our relationships with Raiola or other agents are driven at these lower levels and at some point a CEO can't be in every discussion. It is however his responsibility to fix things from the top down which is not as easy as you may think. Imagine if the head of scouting is actually a family friend of Sir Bobby. Sir Bobby and the CEO may know that the scout is not doing their job and even talk about it candidly. This does not change the fact that they are still bound by good management (try to rehabilitate the scout), employment law (contract may make it difficult to shift him), and the fact that there is a personal relationship that needs to be managed.
We are talking about the football side of things not CEO roles. You've misunderstood what I am referring too.

RedCurry

Ole will go with a 4-2-2-2 with pogba and Bruno behind the forwards. This system allows great flexibility and pressing from the front. It's a system which was deployed by Watford last season and to great effect.

This system will also bring the best attacking input from both Bruno and pogba while not compromising on defence.
There's no width there and if the forwards play wider, then we lose that central threat as it's unlikely that Bruno would be able to produce similar numbers in PL.

mewnew11

There's no width there and if the forwards play wider, then we lose that central threat as it's unlikely that Bruno would be able to produce similar numbers in PL.
In what system do you see United producing width? We don't have natural wingers or play with proper width. The only width we have in any system is with the full backs.

RedCurry

In what system do you see United producing width? We don't have natural wingers or play with proper width. The only width we have in any system is with the full backs.
In a 4-3-3 with Rashford, Martial and a new RW. With Shaw and AWB, our forwards can stay forward and keep wide. Hence, we should stop wasting our time and money or a player we don't need and get someone who will actually fit.

Garebo

Fernandes or Maddison would be a straight replacement for Pogba. There is no point on buying any of those if we don't sell Pogba. We need improvement in all areas of the pitch and keeping both would be a luxury we don't need at the time. If we could take Kroos in exchange and buy a proper no.6 like Rice, then we might form the best midfield in PL.

Le Red

I'm assuming he takes set pieces? Otherwise 34 goals and 16 assists is just unrreal.
According to transfermarkt, 7 goals from penalties (1 miss) and 3 from free-kicks (they have him on 32 goals and 18 assists though). So still 22 goals from open play.

Fer

Fernandes or Maddison would be a straight replacement for Pogba. There is no point on buying any of those if we don't sell Pogba. We need improvement in all areas of the pitch and keeping both would be a luxury we don't need at the time. If we could take Kroos in exchange and buy a proper no.6 like Rice, then we might form the best midfield in PL.
Not necessarily.

Martial - Rashford
Fernandes
Pogba - CM
Rice?
Shaw - CB - Lindelof - Wan Bissaka
De Gea
Next summer, we could sell Pogba and use the money to buy Sancho to play 433. Then, Fernandes or Maddison could be part of that midfield of 3.

Martial - Rashford - Sancho
Fernandes - CM
Rice
Shaw - Skriniar? - Lindelof - Wan Bissaka
De Gea​

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal

So he is not a guy who will dictate the tempo of the game like say a Modric for example but he is a guy that no matter where he plays he will track back and put in a shift. As another poster said he had the same interceptions as William Carvalho per game. With that being said his best position is at the #10 behind the striker while also getting forward. Lets call him a discount KDB for example. He has an engine on him and he will run the whole game and not break a sweat similar to what Bernardo Silva does at City so I see where the idea that he can play cm comes from since he drops deep but a guy with his attacking quality and ability needs to be up the field with license to shoot from 25 yards out if given the space and to get in dangerous attacking positions.

dasty

Not even the same player. His level increased dramatically.

17/18
Goals:16
Assists:16

18/19
Goals:34
Assists:16

Knows how to get in the right attacking positions and any loose balls around the 18 yard box are automatic for him. Can score from distance for fun. Has a great reading of the game and tracks back and helps the midfield and defense in recuperating the ball and initiating the attack. Gets his teammates involved with his passing ability and is a threat from set pieces while also being a very good penalty taker. Lastly he is a leader on the pitch and the voice of a team. Captain of the club at the moment and led by example by shouldering the club this season after a very turbulent Sporting where a lot of first team players had left for "free".
I like hearing that he is a leader. We have no leaders in our current squad and it's painfully obvious when things aren't going the way we want. He is a player I really like but now I really want us to sign him.

Bestietom

Another transfer that will drag on for remainder of window. Woodward should sign him, or move on. Time is passing and other targets are being snapped up.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Another transfer that will drag on for remainder of window. Woodward should sign him, or move on. Time is passing and other targets are being snapped up.
If the player is making a decision or the club are holding out for 70m what else can we do? Do you think the club are purposely being slow?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He doesn't seem like a ball player to me. To me thats more important that his admittedly impressive stats.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
I just feel that this guy is heading to Liverpool, can feel it in my water (as my Nan used to say)
If Liverpool wanted to sign him, and he was available at a sensible price, I think we would have signed him by now.

We plan our transfers 12/24 months in advance and nearly always get our business done right at the start of the window.

We have consistently said that we won't be making any big signings this summer. We've also just sold a youth team player to Sporting Lisbon, with no mention of including him in a deal for Bruno.

I'd say there is almost no chance of him going to Liverpool this summer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
He’d fit in perfectly at Liverpool, very strong at pressing and transitions. Klopp would be the perfect manager for him.

No clue what Liverpool are doing this summer though, keeping everything the same won’t be enough given City are improving even further.

Bestietom

If the player is making a decision or the club are holding out for 70m what else can we do? Do you think the club are purposely being slow?
I do think that we are waiting to see what happens with Pogba first.We will see more happening next week when we return to training.

zenith

Not necessarily.

Martial - Rashford
Fernandes
Pogba - CM
Rice?
Shaw - CB - Lindelof - Wan Bissaka
De Gea
I do like the look of that formation. It is so much better than playing a non existing right wing or paying exorbitant money for an untested import for that position.

It'll leave more space for pogba and Bruno to create on the left and right side respectively and also carries enough of a goal threat

Rossa

He’d fit in perfectly at Liverpool, very strong at pressing and transitions. Klopp would be the perfect manager for him.

No clue what Liverpool are doing this summer though, keeping everything the same won’t be enough given City are improving even further.
Biggest mistake they can make is not trying to improve. Many of their players played well beyond their abilities last season. Ferguson always said you need to improve a squad for competition and for quality.

Grande

If Liverpool wanted to sign him, and he was available at a sensible price, I think we would have signed him by now.

We plan our transfers 12/24 months in advance and nearly always get our business done right at the start of the window.

We have consistently said that we won't be making any big signings this summer. We've also just sold a youth team player to Sporting Lisbon, with no mention of including him in a deal for Bruno.

I'd say there is almost no chance of him going to Liverpool this summer.
Don’t you think it’s important for Liverpool to strengthen on the back of success? I would have thought that you guys were also still looking to strengthen creative midfield after the Fekir deal fell through, and that you now have both money and a good bargaining position to lure players your way. You would know more about this than me, though. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.