Bruno Fernandes | United not interested due to doubts over passing ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Has there been such a gifted striker of the ball around like him since Scholes? It’s mind blowing how he can do that with his body

Walters_19_MuFc

Considering the way we lined up in the first game I think this is the formation Ole has in mind and Fernandes suits it perfectly (Pogba I'm not so sure):

De Gea

AWB Maguire Lindelof Shaw

McTominay Pogba

Lingard Fernandes Martial

Rashford
McTominay or Matic based on form. Rw seeing most of the rotation between Lingard, Mata (both can also fill in at cam), James, Gomes (can both also fill in on lw), Greenwood (can also fill in at striker). I think we will get this signing done but I think we're finished then. I expect Lukaku will be sold. Not sure how well we'll do. Arsenal and Chelsea are probably going to have a rough season since they have no money to spend which gives us a chance. Honestly I think Leicester will end up being the biggest competition for 4th place. As long as we keep Pogba we have a chance. If we lose him I don't see top 4 happening even with Fernandes.
Be something like this. Shame about the right wing, but that's still a decent team.

kirk buttercup

Considering the way we lined up in the first game I think this is the formation Ole has in mind and Fernandes suits it perfectly (Pogba I'm not so sure):

De Gea

McTominay Pogba

Rashford
McTominay or Matic based on form. Rw seeing most of the rotation between Lingard, Mata (both can also fill in at cam), James, Gomes (can both also fill in on lw), Greenwood (can also fill in at striker). I think we will get this signing done but I think we're finished then. I expect Lukaku will be sold. Not sure how well we'll do. Arsenal and Chelsea are probably going to have a rough season since they have no money to spend which gives us a chance. Honestly I think Leicester will end up being the biggest competition for 4th place. As long as we keep Pogba we have a chance. If we lose him I don't see top 4 happening even with Fernandes.
Swap Lingard for James or Greenwood and I would be happy with that, Bruno in big games Gomes in Cup Matches and easier games .

Patrick08

He made his name in that LCM position.
In a team with Vidal Pirlo and Marchisio covering for him, in a league who are nailed on to win the league for a decade without any real competition.

He isn't fit to play any role except free roaming 10. He is never learning the importance of defending and positioning and refusing to develop. Team's know they can run off from Pogba and find space around him.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
With two players who sat for him so he could float.
In a team with Vidal Pirlo and Marchisio covering for him, in a league who are nailed on to win the league for a decade without any real competition.

He isn't fit to play any role except free roaming 10. He is never learning the importance of defending and positioning and refusing to develop. Team's know they can run off from Pogba and find space around him.
With McT and a new DM he'd have enough people covering for him to impact games well from there

Drainy

Pogba should play left central midfield and we should sign Fernandes for the right side. They both actually do more defensive work then people give them credit for.

I'm terms of right wing, it would be ok to have a player who comes more central on the right if we have Fernandes since he drifts to the right wing and puts crosses in from there.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I may be wrong but I haven't seen any concrete rumours of us being in for Bruno - Portugal have been relentless but that's nothing to rave about.

Sky and a few have said bits and bobs but hardly reliable.

Hope I'm wrong but I don't see this happening.

MrBest

I think we still play 433 if Bruno comes in.

De Gea

AWB Maguire Lindeloff Shaw

Matic/Mctominay (cdm)

Bruno (rcm) pogba (lcm)

James/Lingard (rw) Rashford (cf) Martial (lw)

Pogba can be incredible on the left but too often last season he is swamped with players marking him. Having Bruno on the right in a creative role frees that pressure on Pogba but also gives us some needed balance in midfield. This would also help in quick counter attacking moves down both flanks.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Still feel 442 is our most likely formation next season

--------------De Gea--------------
AWB--Lindelof--Maguire--Shaw
---------------Matic---------------
---McTominay------Pogba---
------------Fernandes------------
-------Rashford--Martial-------

Could of course be Lingard, Lukaku or Lukaku's replacement up front with 'Rashy'

Dazzmondo

Could of course be Lingard, Lukaku or Lukaku's replacement up front with 'Rashy'
No offence but I hope we don't play like that. That looks awful

Drainy

Seems good to me.

haram

No offence but I hope we don't play like that. That looks awful
Better than team you posted.

De Gea

McTominay Pogba

Rashford

Jericholyte2

Game of opinions!

I think that line up looks well rounded.
Upgrade on Matic and it'd look a lot better though.
He really is the elephant in the room at the moment. We seriously need to get a replacement in for him ASAP if our midfield is to have any real backbone to it.

AFC NimbleThumb

If the Maguire transfer is done, replacing Matic with someone more mobile is key to any success of that line up.

The thought of Matic trying to cover for Maguire when [as every defender is at some point] he is caught out gives me chills.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If no others come in after Fernandes and Maguire I think this could be cool.

------------------De Gea--------------
Wan-Bissaka-Lindelof-Maguire-Shaw
-------------------Matic---------------
----------Fernandes---Pogba---------
-------------------Mata---------------
----------Rashford---Martial----------

But I'd much rather play with some width. If we don't sign a right winger we'll regret it. Go all out for Pepe and Longstaff, and put faith in youth.

-----------------Longstaff-------------
--------Fernandes-------Pogba-------
Pepe------------Rashford------James

United Roar

This has echo's of Vidal Gaitan and sneijder history will repeat itself. There has never been any photographic evidence whatsoever that his agent has been to England, nobody could pick him out in a line of people point and say "Yes that's him".

He will stay where he is at Sporting.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
In theory Pogba, Matic, Fernandes, Fred & McTominay should be enough especially when the likes of Gardner, Gomes, Mata and Lingard can come in in emergencies
So true! We have plenty of supposed, both defensive and attacking, midfielders in the squad. If they aren't enough then the only explanation is that they are just not good enough and why are they still here? Why are Fred and Matic not being sold, if we are seriously considering the likes of Longstaff and Fernandes? Many of us are worried with how slowly we are buying, in this window, but another worry should be zero news of selling under-performing players. We know we have quite a lot of them. Why are they still around? Pogba and Lukaku are not our worst players, and yet they are the only ones whose sales is being even considered?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.

But I'd much rather play with some width. If we don't sign a right winger we'll regret it. Go all out for Pepe and Longstaff, and put faith in youth.

Your second squad looks pretty great :) But we also need quality in depth, if we are going to win anything! The same 11 obviously cannot play entire season, and we are up against City + Liverpool who have two top players for almost (Liverpool) or literally every (City) position. If we don't also get depth, we'll be a great team that has some great games but can only fight for top 4, not for trophies.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Your second squad looks pretty great :) But we also need quality in depth, if we are going to win anything! The same 11 obviously cannot play entire season, and we are up against City + Liverpool who have two top players for almost (Liverpool) or literally every (City) position. If we don't also get depth, we'll be a great team that has some great games but can only fight for top 4, not for trophies.
This is why I think we need to be signing top quality, and relegating our current starters to backups, instead of just signing more backups. Blend in the youth of Longstaff, James and Greenwood, with ready made players like Maguire, Pepe and Fernandes.

I also think that's the only way we're going to score enough goals to win anything. We could start Lingard next year, but he scores what, 4 goals a season? Pepe had 23 last year. Fernadndes 31. Lingard and Herrera need to be replaced by players that score, especially if Rashford and James aren't going to be prolific. That second line-up has goals all over the pitch, and unless we bring those players in I think we'll really struggle for goals.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
This has echo's of Vidal Gaitan and sneijder history will repeat itself. There has never been any photographic evidence whatsoever that his agent has been to England, nobody could pick him out in a line of people point and say "Yes that's him".

He will stay where he is at Sporting.
I'd be very surprised if he's still there next year. If we don't sign him then somebody will.

izec

Probably a stupid question but is there any real links with him coming to United or Just ITK chancers?
Something inbetween. We like the player apparently, but i guess nobody knows if we really will go for him or if we just keep monitoring the situation. I dont think the signing is imminent, it will take a while if we end up signing him. The English journos are saying we are interested and like the player, while according to the Potuguese papers we have signed him 5 times by now and met his agent 3 times or whatever. They are of course completely unreliable, and with players from Portugal, we often like to get used for negotiations. At this point, nobody really knows whats going to happen

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I may be wrong but I haven't seen any concrete rumours of us being in for Bruno - Portugal have been relentless but that's nothing to rave about.

Sky and a few have said bits and bobs but hardly reliable.

Hope I'm wrong but I don't see this happening.
You’re not wrong. Yet I keep reading references to ‘the Bruno deal’, and comments about how it seemingly isn’t progressing quickly enough. What Bruno deal?!

Something may happen, but there is little concrete from what so can see, just the typical relentless links from Portugal.

croadyman

Well I did feel that once we saw movement on Maguire that things would pick up with Bruno,however I am not so sure that is the case now.

OleGunnar20

I like that second line-up, although personally I'm not convinced by Pepe. I've only really seen his highlights though so I'm no expert there.

I think unless we can get a Chiesa / Sancho level player we'd be better served playing Greenwood on the right, with Lingard ( ugh), Dalot & James as competition. As young as he is, I think with the right mentoring he's ready to take his chance and make a real impact this season.

MyDevil

I just hope that we still have fund for this signing. Midfield is just too lightweight now.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
I can see potential problems with Pogba wanting to do the things that Fernandes is being brought into do and not having (or perhaps not wanting to have) the discipline to not end up clogging the spaces.

The problem with Pogba is if you play him as the #10 he also lacks discipline in that if he isn't seeing as much of the ball as he thinks he should he will drop deep too often and seek to do the things he gets bored of doing when it's his actual role. He has that selfish/entitled streak in him like Gerrard had that made him difficult to manage and fit pieces around.

If United are detemined to keep Pogba I wouldn't sign Fernandes because i don't think you will get the best out of either of them in the same team.

Status
Not open for further replies.