Bruno Fernandes | United not interested due to doubts over passing ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I’ve seen reports that gave said we are interested. Either big splashes every few hours in Portugal, or typically sub lines in an article about something completely different.

Those same people have written the same stuff about many others like William Carvalho for example.
Ducker and Hirst are reliable I personally doubt they would both claim that United are interested in Fernandes multiple times if there was nothing in it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Ducker and Hirst are reliable I personally doubt they would both claim that United are interested in Fernandes multiple times if there was nothing in it.
They have all claimed we are interested in numerous players. I haven’t really seen them lead with big articles regarding United interested Bruno Fernandes. If we were interested in signing a Portuguese international for £50m - £70m, it should get more than a line in a Longstaff or Maguire article.

They have probably both written that City are going after him at some point this summer too. I’m not saying this is fabrication by the way, just the extent of the ‘interest’ seems unclear to me, and not enough, on face value, to warrant the level of scrutiny I’ve seen on here.

Still, what do I know?

Eric's Seagull

They have all claimed we are interested in numerous players. I haven’t really seen them lead with big articles regarding United interested Bruno Fernandes. If we were interested in signing a Portuguese international for £50m - £70m, it should get more than a line in a Longstaff or Maguire article.
Do you think we are seriously in for him please?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Do you think we are seriously in for him please?
I’ve seen little to indicate we are. He may become an option under certain circumstances, but nothing outside of Redcafe and Portuguese propaganda suggest that he is a priority target to me.

ricky-romeo

Bruno needs to push hard for this himself if he wants the move, like Rojo did. I hope United and Sporting can come to an amicable agreement though. Both clubs have always been on friendly terms
60million plus Rojo should seal this. an extra 10million for them just to take Rojo back

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
Your opinion of Pogba doesn't match up with what has actually happened in his career. At Juve under both Allegri and Conte he excelled in a team with a defined structure. He was given creative freedom of course but was part of a team. The same happened in Deschamps World Cup winning French team where he had a clearly defined role and was one of the best CMs in the competition.

Its at Manchester United where we've asked him to be the centrepiece of the team that he has struggled. He has shown he's anything but Gerrard who you compared him to earlier. He's not a player that can lead a team or be the main attacking player.

Pogba is at his best when he has a defined role with some creative freedom.

You claimed he will lack discipline alongside Fernandes which is based on nothing. One of his best games was against your Chelsea side in the FA Cup where he played LCM and Mata played No.10. He destroyed you scoring a goal and getting an assist while working perfectly with Mata.
At Juve he was a different player and likely a different person. He was effectively a junior in a team full of generals and in a team tactically drilled. Plus any lapses were not likely to be exploited because they were so much better than their domestic competition.

He was good in the WC, i'd argue any midfielder looks better when they have Kante in the midfield with them and Pogba was highly motivated as it was a world Cup they were among the favourites for.

That he had a great game against us is not really relevant. we were terrible that day and one game doesn't really prove anything either way.

I don't believe he has the discipline in him to play the role at United where he thinks he is the main man on campus. He's not the kid at Juve and he's not motivated by winning a World Cup. He is one of the highest paid players and one of the biggest stars in the game and he is at a club and in a team where he likely feels he is above. Totally different situations.

Let's see if the opportunity arises to see it play out.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Only a crazy mind would give more than 40/50 ME for a player that's in a team that needs money desperately. It's a time game. Time is in favour of the buyers, in this case.
Says you who supports a club who sold an ok player for 120 which screams to be investigated specially if mendes is involved, Felix wasn’t even the best player in the league (Bruno Fernandes was) and as far I know your club is in financial difficulties as well.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Really love the way he strikes the ball. I haven't seen anything like it since early scholes.
BUT where on earth does this lad fit? Literally, everything he does on a football field mimicks Pogba. We already struggle to accommodate one pogba in our midfield - we're now going to do two?

Here are a few scenarios.

McTominay
Pogba Bruno
X X X

Yea we'll be run right through. Scott will be torn apart on the forum. We might play some killer balls into our explosive upfront 3.
Could ONLY work if we have Van Dijk and another godly CB next to him - eliminates the need for proper defence in midfield. We don't have that - and Maguire sure as feck will not give us this freedom either. Next

McTominay Pogba
Bruno (#10)
X X X

Yea, we all know how putting talented midfield players into a straight #10 role works for us at United. Useless. He'll have 0 space, will have towering defenders tackle him all the way out of the hole and he'll end up switching flanks on the right/left interrupting our wing play. Shoot ourselves in the foot. He might unleash a Scholes belter once in a while in there. Definitely play some great one-twos in the final third too. Ultimately, it still asks too much of Pogba. In this set up you now ask him to defend more and attack less as Bruno does his attacking for him. Pogba sulks - team sulks. Mourinho learned that the hard way. Next.... I have no real alternative set up that incorporates both Pogba and Bruno. This train of thought and football knowledge would be taken into consideration if you had a football brain director. Instead we have a banker that buys Fred

Unless of course... Pogba leaves

dasty

Don't think it's a good idea to wait till Pogba leaves before we replace him. We are not talking about a player who could stay for a lot longer, we are talking about a player who had shown in the past that he is willing to down his tools to get what he wants, and has Raiola as his agent. Next summer the same shit will happen again regardless of how we performed.

If we are so reactive, we will be fleeced yet again by teams. Imagine how much they will jack up the prices for their players once Pogba had left us. Furthermore, new players usually needs some time to adapt to a team. I don't understand why people here always thinks that we should have a fixed starting eleven, and players who plays in the same position will end up in the bench for the whole season. This is what made us the mess we are.

Does City gives a feck when B.Silva was available even though they had Silva and KDB playing in his position? Does City gives a feck when Laporte was available even though they already had Stones, Kompany, Otamendi, Mangala in his position? Does Liverpool give a feck when Fabinho and Shaqiri was available even though they already had Keita, Henderson, AOC and Wijnaldum? Does Juventus gives a feck when C.Ronaldo was available even though it might mean shifting Dybala and Mandzukic to a position they are not the best in? Competition are vital for big teams. Our starters and substitutes' quality is so apparent the starters could afford to not put in any effort and still start every game because they are still way better than the substitutes. That's our major problem. We have not a single midfielder that is anywhere close to Pogba's standard that he could throw a hissy fit all the time and the club would still kneel and beg for him to stay.

Bestietom

49million (55million euro) offer presumedly is the latest figure. Mirror sport.
We think this will do the trick.

Dante

Average bang
I love the idea of goalscoring midfielder who makes late bursts into the box a la Lampard or Robson.

Maybe Bruno can be that man. But the more I see of him, the less convinced I am.

Bestietom

I love the idea of goalscoring midfielder who makes late bursts into the box a la Lampard or Robson.

Maybe Bruno can be that man. But the more I see of him, the less convinced I am.
Stats prove it, but we have to take the chance.

izec

I think a DM/CM is more of a priority than an AM, i dont see it while we have Pogba, Lingard, Mata and Gomes.
Only if Pogba goes (which doesnt look likely at the moment) would i see this making sense, unless we plan a year before that.

buckooo1978

I'd guess theres a 90% chance Pogba goes in the next 13 months - I understand the clamour for a DM but it's not the most crucial thing

We were reliant on Pogba last year as Mata/Lingard arent consistently productive players - we might get a few games here and there but we cant rely on them to create

we need to start planning for it and the best way to do that would be supplementing his creativity with Bruno

when we are trying to replace Pogba next year it would be much easier as a CL side - adding the quality of Bruno can help us leapfrog Chelsea and Arsenal

Velvet Revolver

They have probably both written that City are going after him at some point this summer too. I’m not saying this is fabrication by the way, just the extent of the ‘interest’ seems unclear to me, and not enough, on face value, to warrant the level of scrutiny I’ve seen on here.

Still, what do I know?
Simon peach also said that we are interested in a lot of players, midfielders in particular.It seems like our transfer people are trying to feed info to the journos as a negotiation tactic of some sort.

sherrinford

Really love the way he strikes the ball. I haven't seen anything like it since early scholes.
BUT where on earth does this lad fit? Literally, everything he does on a football field mimicks Pogba. We already struggle to accommodate one pogba in our midfield - we're now going to do two?

McTominay
Pogba Bruno
X X X

Yea we'll be run right through. Scott will be torn apart on the forum. We might play some killer balls into our explosive upfront 3.
Could ONLY work if we have Van Dijk and another godly CB next to him - eliminates the need for proper defence in midfield. We don't have that - and Maguire sure as feck will not give us this freedom either. Next

McTominay Pogba
Bruno (#10)
X X X

Yea, we all know how putting talented midfield players into a straight #10 role works for us at United. Useless. He'll have 0 space, will have towering defenders tackle him all the way out of the hole and he'll end up switching flanks on the right/left interrupting our wing play. Shoot ourselves in the foot. He might unleash a Scholes belter once in a while in there. Definitely play some great one-twos in the final third too. Ultimately, it still asks too much of Pogba. In this set up you now ask him to defend more and attack less as Bruno does his attacking for him. Pogba sulks - team sulks. Mourinho learned that the hard way. Next.... I have no real alternative set up that incorporates both Pogba and Bruno. This train of thought and football knowledge would be taken into consideration if you had a football brain director. Instead we have a banker that buys Fred

I’ve seen him twice and he looked nothing like Pogba, and seems dissimilar based on what those who have watched him regularly say.

Having a great pair of centre halves does not mean you can just ignore balance in midfield or throughout the rest of the team.

What has happened in the past with different sets of coaching and playing staff, with regards to a no.10, is entirely irrelevant.

History has shown that Pogba is entirely capable of playing in a deeper midfield two.

Withnail

I'd guess theres a 90% chance Pogba goes in the next 13 months - I understand the clamour for a DM but it's not the most crucial thing

We were reliant on Pogba last year as Mata/Lingard arent consistently productive players - we might get a few games here and there but we cant rely on them to create

we need to start planning for it and the best way to do that would be supplementing his creativity with Bruno

when we are trying to replace Pogba next year it would be much easier as a CL side - adding the quality of Bruno can help us leapfrog Chelsea and Arsenal

I have to say I totally disagree with this. Fernandes would be an absolute luxury at the moment. The team has been crying out for a DM for a while now. Matic no longer has the legs and none of the others look up to the job.

It looks like we've sorted the CB position and a DM is the next position we should be looking to fill. The amount of games in recent years where United have been over-run in midfield by mid-table teams is embarrassing and I can't see this lad doing anything to change that.

With the added stability of an improved back 4 and a quality CM/DM, I think we've enough going forward to get back into the top 4 next year.

I can only see Fernandes as being a replacement for Pogba, if/when he goes. I certainly think it would be far too risky to attempt having them both in the starting line up with Matic/Fred trying to screen.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
History has shown that Pogba is entirely capable of playing in a deeper midfield two.
He is, but I can't see him in that role for United on a regular basis.

However, I do think Pogba in a free role (left) can work well enough provided he's surrounded by the right players. Bruno, from what I've seen, isn't likely to get in Pogba's way (unlike Sanchez - that was always a clusterfeck) but rather be an additional source of creativity, and a goal threat to boot. Sort out the rest of the midfield (easier said than done, of course, not least given our current options) - and I see Pogba/Bruno complementing each other fairly well.

Against top opposition, Pogba can sit back in a two, playing a more disciplined game - as you say, he is capable of this when he's arsed.

Suvvernmanc

McTominay
Pogba Bruno
X X X

McTominay Pogba
Bruno (#10)
X X X

Oe we play a diamond midfield like we did for 80% of last season!

--------Fred-----
--scott--pogba--
‐------Bruno--------

kirk buttercup

we have a link to a player every summer that comes up over and over again (Gaitan , Snjeider, Ozil etc) I think this years player to be linked but never sign is Bruno . hope I'm wrong

Art Vandelay

He's become my muppet signing for the summer. I think we are crying out for a creative 10, how many times last season did we see Instagram's Jesse Lingard in that position for us? It's simply not good enough. When teams sat in we couldn't break them down because our one creative player is a self indulgent diva that often slows play down and we lack other options to break teams down. I think Bruno would give us those options and be someone else we can play through when Pogba is intent on turning in circles in the middle of the pitch. If we can get Maguire over the line then I feel this signing is a must to go along with it and turn a good summer into a very good one.

Admittedly though I've only seen Youtube videos and a couple of Portugal matches. Wild muppeteering!

Eric's Seagull

He's become my muppet signing for the summer. I think we are crying out for a creative 10, how many times last season did we see Instagram's Jesse Lingard in that position for us? It's simply not good enough. When teams sat in we couldn't break them down because our one creative player is a self indulgent diva that often slows play down and we lack other options to break teams down. I think Bruno would give us those options and be someone else we can play through when Pogba is intent on turning in circles in the middle of the pitch. If we can get Maguire over the line then I feel this signing is a must to go along with it and turn a good summer into a very good one.

Admittedly though I've only seen Youtube videos and a couple of Portugal matches. Wild muppeteering!
Agreed that I would much rather like him playing there rather than Lingard. He is one signing that I've also wanted all summer and really hoping that it happens soon mate :D

Art Vandelay

Agreed that I would much rather like him playing there rather than Lingard. He is one signing that I've also wanted all summer and really hoping that it happens soon mate :D
Me too. I'll genuinely be upset if we don't bring him in. I forgot the other huge factor, it might stop Rashford from taking the freekicks and belting them hopelessly into the wall/crowd. We need a threat from set pieces again! I'm not sure what he's like on corners, but if we get Maguire someone to put in decent delivery would be another huge bonus.

Eric's Seagull

Me too. I'll genuinely be upset if we don't bring him in. I forgot the other huge factor, it might stop Rashford from taking the freekicks and belting them hopelessly into the wall/crowd. We need a threat from set pieces again! I'm not sure what he's like on corners, but if we get Maguire someone to put in decent delivery would be another huge bonus.
I would also be upset if this transfer didn't happen mate. You're bit on bold made me genuinely laugh :lol: but you are spot on. Hoping this guy is going to be set piece threat that we need. Would be interesting to see how many headers Harry Maguire will score next season. Hopefully many as long as he has decent deliveries to feed off :D

Vissy

I am guessing we are running down the clock as long as possible, because the closer to end of transfer window we get the more Sporting will drop their price. They need the cash and they want to sell Fernandes.

Eric's Seagull

I am guessing we are running down the clock as long as possible, because the closer to end of transfer window we get the more Sporting will drop their price. They need the cash and they want to sell Fernandes.
The risk in running the clock down too much is that a glitch happens and we don't get the transfer done in time.

mewnew11

Smores

I don't think there's a slot for him until Pogba goes. In a diamond we have Lingard and Mata and in a 433 we wouldn't be able to play both, Pogba will just sulk if we make him play the reserved deeper role all season.

Art Vandelay

I don't think there's a slot for him until Pogba goes. In a diamond we have Lingard and Mata and in a 433 we wouldn't be able to play both, Pogba will just sulk if we make him play the reserved deeper role all season.
That suggests there's a slot for him. Pogba sulks anyway and even if he stays it's going to be the same shit next summer. We can't be avoiding signing players to appease him, that would be madness.

Trophy Room

He's no ghost unfortunately. Can't argue with his numbers but I don't know why I've been so underwhelmed when I've watched him. Maybe he'll surprise us all? I'm still not convinced we are even in for him. :lol:

mewnew11

Firstly its a squad game, people get injured and people take their places. Pogba is not going to start everygame. This whole nonsense of pogbas place takes should stop.

City play debruyne silva in midfield, you dont see them complain. The whole team has to adapt to the team tactics.

I for one am really excited to see Pogba and Bruno in midfield. Pogba primarily plays left mid and Bruno with play right mid, we will then have a DM doing the dirty work .It will finally bring balance to our teams biggest issue which is the over reliance on the left side of playmaking. With bruno bringing in goals and creativity it would now mean teams just cant double up on Pogba.

Status
Not open for further replies.