Bruno, McTominay, Fred

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What you said is true, but I would prefer us to go for a 4-4-2 diamond formation, with Matic as a 6, Mctominay and Fred as 8's and Bruno as a 10. Martial and Ighalo upfront. This until the end of the season till we get a better right winger.
Could also work, especially in the home games where we dominate possession.

Fred and Mctominay can put in the work getting up and down no problem as they both have good stamina.

I'm not a massive fan of 3 at the back as I feel it's always 1 less player in a forward position, but it seems to be working for us lately especially in away matches.

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
Fred................McT
............Bruno...
This is good against top sides ,but we will struggle against the lesser sides. All the lesser sides have to do is man mark Bruno, force him to drop deep and our creativity is gone,this has been the story of our season since Pogba's return.
The most pressing need us DLP ,even one with half of Carrick's talent,that can can pass between the lines,press resistant, positional sound and can control matches.

.........Fred/McT.....DLP
....................Bruno.....
With Matic as sub.This is more balanced.

Thiagoal

Midfield options are good now, but the wide men behind Martial are still bang average.

Without Rashford we're left with James, Mata, Pereira, Lingard - quite an average support cast.

I'm probably in favour of ditching the 4-2-3-1 and using the 3-5-2 more often but with Ighalo partnering Martial.
We don’t have good enough wing backs to play this formation all the time! Fine away against the big 6 teams but you could see how much better we were when we changed formation last night! We should play 4-3-3 with Ighalo flanked by Greenwood and Martial- all capable of scoring added to McT, Fred and Bruno we should be able to break down most teams

thepolice123

I was of the same opinion, but it makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Pogba is gone, think we all know that, but next season we'd be left with only Bruno as creativity in midfield. 1 injury and we're back to not having any creativity and starting trash like Pereira. Grealish in and we have basically 5 players for a midfield 3. 1 of either Matic or McTominay to provide the physical, defensive force, while 2 of Bruno, Grealish and Fred rotate, keep fresh, fill in for form or injuries, change games off the bench, etc. Even all play together as Bruno can play further forward and Grealish can play on the left, in case of injuries, or just those 3 being the midfield 3 in the easier games we don't need Matic or McTominay. Don't think it's too much or crowded or anything, it's the sort of level of quality in the group that we should aim to have everywhere. Competition for places in some spots, adequate cover for injuries in other spots, but a well rounded side. Without getting Grealish (or someone like that), we'll just be back to overly relying on the starting 11 to not get injured.
No way we are signing Grealish for 80m so that he can play bit part roles and plug in the injury gaps. He would want a guaranteed starting position which will be impossible with Bruno and Rashford in the side.

And that is assuming if we do ship out at least three out of the group which consists of Pogba, Lingard, Pereira, Sanchez, Mata. Will take a massive transfer window for the Grealish deal to go through. I know Mata, Lingard, Sanchez and Pereira have been crap we never want to see them play again but this is not FM where we just bin them to the reserves and life goes on as usual. If they stay you have to assume they are part of the plans and we have to play them too.

Kostov

Bruno, McT and Fred midfield lacks defensive stability since none is a CDM. Both Fred and McT are b2b and to be frank none is top class, Scott might develop further but I don't think Fred will ever get there. A Pogba, Bruno and a top CDM would be ideal. Someone like Partey or Ndidi.

Kag

No way we are signing Grealish for 80m so that he can play bit part roles and plug in the injury gaps. He would want a guaranteed starting position which will be impossible with Bruno and Rashford in the side.

And that is assuming if we do ship out at least three out of the group which consists of Pogba, Lingard, Pereira, Sanchez, Mata. Will take a massive transfer window for the Grealish deal to go through. I know Mata, Lingard, Sanchez and Pereira have been crap we never want to see them play again but this is not FM where we just bin them to the reserves and life goes on as usual. If they stay you have to assume they are part of the plans and we have to play them too.
This is rubbish; let’s be honest. We’re an injury in midfield away from starting Lingard or Pereira. Sometimes both. Pogba is going to leave. Grealish and Bruno could play in the same team. Grealish can play on the left. Rashford can play games as a central striker. Bruno can play a little deeper. There is this bizarre insistence on pocketing players in isolated positions and keeping them there because it looks pretty when you note down your best first team. The reality is that we play nigh on fifty/sixty games each season and we need more quality to accommodate that. Players are flexible, as is demonstrated by the way City can keep players like De Bruyne, Silva, Bernardo, Mahrez and Gundogan (relatively) happy.

We need a ‘defensive’ midfielder, too, for what it’s worth. The player must be better than Matic and McTominay.

Mihai

Rashford and Sancho on either wing with a consistent Martial is a mouth watering front line, the kind that demands a defence committed to stopping it which in turn favours our midfield as they’ll naturally end up with more space. These 3 probably have it in them to compete against most 3 man midfields, the only big problem is that none of them are quality level man markers, so a clever false 9 type player could easily run amock between our def/mid line.
Unfortunately, that looks impossible.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
This is rubbish; let’s be honest. We’re an injury in midfield away from starting Lingard or Pereira. Sometimes both. Pogba is going to leave. Grealish and Bruno could play in the same team. Grealish can play on the left. Rashford can play games as a central striker. Bruno can play a little deeper. There is this bizarre insistence on pocketing players in isolated positions and keeping them there because it looks pretty when you note down your best first team. The reality is that we play nigh on fifty/sixty games each season and we need more quality to accommodate that. Players are flexible, as is demonstrated by the way City can keep players like De Bruyne, Silva, Bernardo, Mahrez and Gundogan (relatively) happy.

We need a ‘defensive’ midfielder, too, for what it’s worth. The player must be better than Matic and McTominay.
We played Lingard, Mata and Pereira last night and people can't see room for even one of Grealish, Maddison or Cantwell. There's room for all three, FFS.

This is even worse than ""We don't need Haaland, we've got Martial."

Adamsk7

They’ll do well in games against lower opposition. However a decent no.10 or false 9 would drag them around the field. I’d definitely get someone like Partey in the summer and I’d probably replace Pogba (if he goes) with Grealish. I think that -

Fred
McTominay
Grealish (Pogba)
Bruno
Partey
Mata
Gomes
Garner

is a great balance. That pool of midfielders would easily be a competitive, title challenging midfield.

crossy1686

career ending
You are basing it on players who have never played together?

There are more teams with better 3 than just Chelsea

Fabs, hendo, Gini is proven over the last 2 years
Fernandinhi, KDB, Gundogan is proven
Ndidi, Tielemans, Maddison is even better
I mentioned outside the top 2. Tielemans is probably weak link there and Maddison isn’t really a CM. I’d still fancy our midfield over theirs.

romufc

I mentioned outside the top 2. Tielemans is probably weak link there and Maddison isn’t really a CM. I’d still fancy our midfield over theirs.
I hope Ole gives them a run of games together though.

thepolice123

Or rather called playing attacking players in their best position and getting them to play their best football. Something which we have struggled massively with Pogba, Rashford and Martial because we did exactly like what you’re suggesting: Shoehorning them into various positions.

Denis' cuff

Can’t wait for Scotty to get back, alongside Fred and Bruno.

feck off to Madrid (or whoever is stupid enough to pay for you) with your greedy slob of a leech, Pog.

slowly clawing out of the depths. Don’t know how far or when yet, but even EW, although still a major drag on progress, might be finally seeing the light. Only as far as we should stop the rot but with him and the Florida leeches, we’ll be Spurs at best.

small comforts but g2c Ole getting rid of the shite and bringing in players who want to play, despite EW and his puppet masters efforts to slow the process down

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That midfield 3 would struggle to control a game against top quality opposition IMO. We'd also need someone like Sancho to add creativity from the flanks to help Fernandes. Ideally we sign a controlling type or wait 12 months for Hannibal Mejbri to develop physically and in that time we might be asking the same question but with different personnel in Bruno, Mejbri, Garner.

Devil81

I hope it will be a revelation. Unfortunately, the team is still lacking in the front with Rashford out.
That may be but I still think we have enough fire power to deliver us top five given the situation at Spurs and the fact Arsenal are well off the pace.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
That midfield 3 would struggle to control a game against top quality opposition IMO. We'd also need someone like Sancho to add creativity from the flanks to help Fernandes. Ideally we sign a controlling type or wait 12 months for Hannibal Mejbri to develop physically and in that time we might be asking the same question but with different personnel in Bruno, Mejbri, Garner.
Agreed, I'd like to see us get a DLP in summer, may not be a popular opinion right now but I feel eventually McTominay and Fred will be competing for one spot.

Adcuth

Fred................McT
............Bruno...
This is good against top sides ,but we will struggle against the lesser sides. All the lesser sides have to do is man mark Bruno, force him to drop deep and our creativity is gone,this has been the story of our season since Pogba's return.
The most pressing need us DLP ,even one with half of Carrick's talent,that can can pass between the lines,press resistant, positional sound and can control matches.

.........Fred/McT.....DLP
....................Bruno.....
With Matic as sub.This is more balanced.
Neves?

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
We finally have some option in midfield. I think against tougher opposition we can go with

Fred - McT
Bruno

or

Matic
Fred/McT Bruno

And against easier opposition (especially at home), we can play

Matic / McT/ Fred
Bruno Pogba

Grande

McTominay is more a rejuvenation of Matic than an upgrade. If his game reading and passing improves, he will be though. So far, McTom at his best and Fred at his best have hardly played together. If they find consistency, and if they gel (double ifs are as we all know a bit iffy), that's a solid platform for a creative and dynamic top four. Bruno and Rashford has the ability to form that. Pogba I'll not a speak about, the rest is a bit up in the air. McTom-Fred-Bruno, like Wijnaldum-Fabinho-Henderson, but unlike Fernandinho/Rodri-Gūndogan/Silva-DeBruyne, will not compensate for the lack of accomplished attacking strength.

I'd agree we need a CM, and a RW (bloody obvious) and another attacking player giving us more options, unsure of wether it has to be a striker or not.

Looking forward to seeing this trio together, though.

ThinkTank@Cafe

When United expected to dominate possession, Ole uses 4-2-3-1 without a dedicated holding midfielder because CMs are flexible and assume different roles throughout the game depending on where is the ball or assigned marking. I think, it is a very progressive and flexible setup which is great against high press. People forgot how we struggled when put under high press last season (I can elaborate on this and “bad coaching” bullshit if need to be).

But it (4-2-3-1 Ole version) takes time because you have to play tactics in competitive games. Play a lot. That’s why I think “Ole out“ is not something to discuss this season (no the point of this post).

ok. Back to the midfield. MCT and especially Fred showed a huge progress this year in this set up and are the best players available for us in the world football (I know, it’s a bold statement) for our specific needs.

Both play for us, both have high game ratings and stats, both were solid against top teams. They do their work, and they do it damn well. Again, McFred do their job (physical presence, pressing, ball transition to the final third) at a top team level, and therefore, I think, they are our midfield pair for years to come.

So, we have McFred but have Pereira and Matic as a back up plan. Remarkably shit option. Probably, interest in Longstaff indeed took place. United refused (rightfully) to pay £50 m for a player who needs to be coached and moulded into the role. I expect, United will buy a £25-30 M young CM this summer, and one of Matic or Pereira will stay as squad player.

Now, the key position - number 10. It is our most influential Player in final third. Ole‘s Biggest mistake so far is relying on Lingard/Mata as our options.The mistake cost us and might cost him job (highly unlikely, though).

Bruno is exactly what we needed. I have a theory why we didn’t buy him in summer But it’s not the point. Bruno started so well because, it is the position he is born for. A modern advanced playmaker with significant defensive and team duties. He is not a maestro type guy. He is a working horse. We have to by a cover this summer. In summer, Lingard out, Mata stays as a good third option. Forget about Grealish and Maddison: they will not come to sit on the bench. Some young talent for £35-40 M pounds is a target for summer.

I don’t even consider Pogba as tactically important United player this season. Never mind the next. For the purposes of this post, he doesn’t exist.

Summary: United Midfiield

2019/2020.
Double pivot: McTominay, Fred. Cover: Matic, Pereira.
N10: Bruno. Cover: Lingard, Mata.

2020/2021:
Mctominay, Fred. Cover: New signing, Matic (or Pereira)
Bruno. Cover: New signing, Mata.

Unit: 3 first team players, 4 players for cover, total 7 players.

Last edited:

tjb

I dont think they need to look into this for another season or two when we are looking at building squad depth. We will have other immediate priorities this summer.
I think we need one. McTominay and Fred aren't exactly world class and can have bad spells of form. We still need another one. Preferably a DM, even if he is of similar quality.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
With Mctominay back in training and likely featuring in some squads soon, is this going to be our first choice midfield? Extrapolating, it seems well balanced in terms of work ethic and flair and could well be a formidable midfield for years to come.
Looks like the best option on paper - although Matic has actually been better than I expected

As long as we don't need to suffer Andreas in centre mid I'm good with any other option

Pogba does still exist as well!

DVG7

Looks like the best option on paper - although Matic has actually been better than I expected

As long as we don't need to suffer Andreas in centre mid I'm good with any other option

Pogba does still exist as well!
He’s more than welcome to step in and change everyone’s perception about him.

Alfie092

McGinn, Rice and Fernandes midfield 3 next season will win us the league!

RedCurry

If Bruno can hit the heights he has been promising in the last couple of games, then this trio is good enough to help us to a top four finish. It is better than what Chelsea has. Problem is that we're without Rashford for rest of the season and there's no goals in this squad besides Martial. Maybe Bruno will chip in with a few but that is not going to be enough.

We will want to bring Pogba back in the team as soon as possible and hope he will score a few and help us out in the final stretch of the season. I think we will finish the season with Bruno + Pogba + McTominay even though Fred's been quite good in last few games.

Kag

Matic remains a lumbering, cumbersome, somewhat docile (but!) necessary evil.

McTominay and Fred are too careless in possession and concede too much space in behind them. In certain games we can get away with it, but not in others.

We concede (significantly) fewer goals with Matic in the team and it’s important that we effectively replace his starting role in the team come the summer.

Tony247

You need two creative players on field at any given point. Fred and McT work their socks off but without creating chances. There need to be another midfielder to compliment Bruno. Either RW or Grealish or best both.

SweetRightFoot

Some barmy posts in here.

McTom at #6, Fred at #8 and Bruno at #10 in a double pivot or a three is a serious midfield. Similar power + all round ability to Liverpool's midfield with the sprinkling of magic that city have with de bruyne in Bruno.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You need two creative players on field at any given point. Fred and McT work their socks off but without creating chances. There need to be another midfielder to compliment Bruno. Either RW or Grealish or best both.
Thatd be the goal with Sancho right! And getting both him and Grealish means we have cover if one of Grealish or Bruno get injured, and can find ways to fit them all in. Those 2 signings would pretty much complete our midfield and attack and will finally look balanced (with us selling the expected players). Then itll be on the manager to get them performing, and if someone is still not good enough then we upgrade. But we'd finally have a squad that is balanced in all departments and has depth. From there we do the bigger signings to upgrade where required.

edcunited1878

This can be a very good and functional trio, but their positioning would have to be sorted out with them playing together. McTominay's technique would need to improve as well to cope with Fred and Bruno. Matic rotating with Fred and McTominay would be very good too.

bosnian_red

I think we need one. McTominay and Fred aren't exactly world class and can have bad spells of form. We still need another one. Preferably a DM, even if he is of similar quality.
Yes but if we sign Grealish and keep Matic, then we have the option of starting Bruno where fred is, Matic swapping with McTominay, Grealish as the 10 (or even swap Grealish and Bruno around). Theres quality depth, competition for places, rotation and versatile players that can fill in multiple roles if they're all in form and we want to start them all (Grealish on the wing for example, or Bruno on the right in attack if needed). Essentially right now with Pogba would be perfect, with Grealish replacing him but all the spots being up for grabs and everyone needing to keep up form.

MadMike

Some barmy posts in here.

McTom at #6, Fred at #8 and Bruno at #10 in a double pivot or a three is a serious midfield. Similar power + all round ability to Liverpool's midfield with the sprinkling of magic that city have with de bruyne in Bruno.
McSauce isn’t a #6 in many people’s mind, but an #8 like Fred. And certainly not on par with current Fabinho or Fernandinho of seasons past. Hell even Matic is a better #6 than McSauce, he protects the defence much more and is a safer player around our box.

bosnian_red

Think it's definitely talented enough to control games. Liverpool have no problem controlling games, how often do they use Henderson, Oxlade Chamberlain and Wijnaldum as their 3? Who wouldve said a few years ago those 3 could've been as good as they have? Fred, McTominay and Bruno, or Grealish in their thrown in with all of them rotating around would be fine in many different styles. Would be down to the manager to get our defence and midfield to dominate possession and control, personnel would be fine.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Think it's definitely talented enough to control games. Liverpool have no problem controlling games, how often do they use Henderson, Oxlade Chamberlain and Wijnaldum as their 3? Who wouldve said a few years ago those 3 could've been as good as they have? Fred, McTominay and Bruno, or Grealish in their thrown in with all of them rotating around would be fine in many different styles. Would be down to the manager to get our defence and midfield to dominate possession and control, personnel would be fine.
Liverpool have five players to compensate. And Klopp has tried to rectify the issue with the signing of Keita and I'm sure he'll try again.