Bruno, McTominay, Fred

Mcking

So we rely on Bruno for the goals then from midfield? McTom has scored a couple, but in the situation we are in we cant just rely on Rashford and Martial who incidently have never scored 20 premier league goals a season yet. The reason we were successful under Fergie was we used to have goalscorers all over the pitch. We need our midfielders to score quite a few or we never challenge for the title. Fred is not the answer.
If the forwards and the attacking midfielders can't get the goals with enough service, then that says more about them. Fred has proven to be very good at what he does, and good enough to be in the team as a central midfielder. He isn't in the team to score goals.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The logic is to have a fix Best XI, then supplement them with other good squad players.

It's not logic to spend mega bucks on Grealish, then have him, Rashford, and Bruno to compete for 2 positions, while other positions are still starving for good players.

Of course this doesn't matter if we have unlimited warchest. Or Grealish is much more superior than any of the other two.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
It's not logic to spend mega bucks on Grealish, then have him, Rashford, and Bruno to compete for 2 positions, while other positions are still starving for good players.
We need a right-winger and have ever since Nani left. I don't know how it got this bad

DCP

Until Rashford is back then yeah. Then play Ighalo, Greenwood and Martial upfront. See what happens.

Davicho

With the current squad, i would keep the back 3 with Bailly, Maguire and Lindelof. Mctominay, Fred and Bruno in midfield with Martial and James/Greenwood up front until the return of Rashford.

buckooo1978

if Pogba made it back and was arsed we should employ the diamond or 4-2-2-2 - we need to have our most talented players on the pitch and it can always be adjusted to be more attacking - up front is our weak point now with the lack of options

for me....

--‐---------------Back 4--------------------
-------------Fred------McTom-----------
--------Fernandes--Pogba------------
-------Greenwood--Martial----------

is at least on paper our strongest side - Greenwood and Martial can play on the shoulder or can equally split or drift wide opening up lovely Bruno/Pogba sized holes

nice backup in the form of James and Ighalo if we wanted to sacrifice a midfielder to chase a goal

if we played this side consistently to the end of the season I think we will win plenty of games

jamesjimmybyrondean

The logic is to have a fix Best XI, then supplement them with other good squad players.

Of course this doesn't matter if we have unlimited warchest. Or Grealish is much more superior than any of the other two.
Spot on. I get why people want Grealish but he's not what we need. Grealish plays AM CM and LW and these positions are occupied by our best players - Bruno Fred and Rashford.

So what's the point of splashing cash on him when there are good players occupying the positions he can play in. What's the point of signing him when there are other positions of priorities. People just want him but we don't need him. What we need is a DM to replace an aging Matic who is the only DM we have, we need an RW because we don't have one, we need a goal scorer because Martial is inconsistent and we need a solid AM on the bench as a squad option because Lingard and Pereira are not good enough to even warm the bench

To illustrate our pressing needs

--------------------------De Gea---------------------------

-AWB-----Lindelof------Maguire----Williams

-----------------Fred------------new dm---------------

--new rw------------Bruno-------------Rashford--

------------------------new striker------------------------

Bench - Romero, Shaw, Tuanzebe, Mctominay, Martial, James and New AM to replace Lingard and Pereira as squad players.

Where would Grealish fit in this?

Hawks2008

Absolutely, Matic is getting on and we have no other midfielder who can hold the midfield like him and all the clamour is for another attacking midfielder just after signing Bruno. A strong DM who can use the ball from deep and a quality RW would go a lot further towards balancing and improving our side than signing Grealish. We have other priorities.

wolvored

If the forwards and the attacking midfielders can't get the goals with enough service, then that says more about them. Fred has proven to be very good at what he does, and good enough to be in the team as a central midfielder. He isn't in the team to score goals.
Any midfielder unless hes an anchor sitting deep all game should score goals. When cleverley said he wasnt in the team to score goals everyone rightly slagged him off. Fred is no different

Fussball13251

if Bruno and McTominay are in the team we will beat Watford. We play better with McTominay in the team and we need players like Bruno on the ball more often in advanced positions.

Why we need him back:

/watch?v=5tnckGjvVsE

Last edited:

ColvaleGoa

if Bruno and McTominay are in the team we will beat Watford. We play better with McTominay in the team and we need players like Bruno on the ball more often in advanced positions.

Let's hope this is the case..Fed up of the inconsistency in our results.

meamth

Still laughing at whoever said Fred > Park JS. Hilarious.
It's not laughable, Fred runs non stop in the modern game, plus that extra finesse Park never had.

Park is 3 lungs, but he is more comparable to mini Mctominay.

JMack1234

Could be the perfect of mix. At the very very least all three of them are hardworking players and that'll take you places.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
We have an upgrade for Mctominay but he's a dabbing prat who doesn't even try. Leave Mctominay in there for me. He will give everything he's got for the team. We don't have enough players like him currently.
I think you have some personal issue with Pogba. Pogba is injured hence not playing. Was our top scorer along with assist last season. He may not have set the stage on fire but some of the stuff that you speak in various thread about Pogba is unwarranted

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I think you have some personal issue with Pogba. Pogba is injured hence not playing. Was our top scorer along with assist last season. He may not have set the stage on fire but some of the stuff that you speak in various thread about Pogba is unwarranted
No its perfectly vindicated. Him and his agent have taken the piss out of this club for too long.

Some people on here like Pogba more than the club. It really is pathetic. KDBhas had more top games this season for City than Pogba has had in 4 seasons for us. Stop defending him. He's been a shite signing.

davidmichael

For me it’s as simple as sell Pogba, Rojo and Pereira and use that money to bring in Partey, Rice and Grealish which fixes are midfield for years to come. Then we go all out for Sancho which fixes the right wing problem we’ve had for countless years and going forward with have a very good and balanced squad, 4 signings and 3 sales which shouldn’t be too hard to do even for Woodward.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
For me it’s as simple as sell Pogba, Rojo and Pereira and use that money to bring in Partey, Rice and Grealish which fixes are midfield for years to come. Then we go all out for Sancho which fixes the right wing problem we’ve had for countless years and going forward with have a very good and balanced squad, 4 signings and 3 sales which shouldn’t be too hard to do even for Woodward.
Except those numbers don't stack up at all. We probably have £100m to spend max after the sale of Bruno. Not a chance we can afford all 4 of those.

davidmichael

Except those numbers don't stack up at all. We probably have £100m to spend max after the sale of Bruno. Not a chance we can afford all 4 of those.
If Villa or/and West Ham get relegated then Grealish definitely has a release clause (£40-£45 million) and Rice will go for cheap’ish (£40 million) whilst I’m sure I’ve seen on here quite a few times Partey has a £45-£55 million release clause, Fernandes was surely the money from the Lukaku sale.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
With Mctominay back in training and likely featuring in some squads soon, is this going to be our first choice midfield? Extrapolating, it seems well balanced in terms of work ethic and flair and could well be a formidable midfield for years to come.
Would have loved Pogba in there as he is undoubtably class and one of the best players in the world. But, much prefer 3 quality players whose hearts are in it, play for the club first , and will give 100% every match.

Fred I think we still haven’t seen 100% of what he’s capable of, I think he has more goals and attacking threat that we will start to see as he gains more confidence.

Bruno is still settling in so well probably get even better.

McT is still developing so who knows how good he might end up becoming.

DVG7

Would have loved Pogba in there as he is undoubtably class and one of the best players in the world. But, much prefer 3 quality players whose hearts are in it, play for the club first , and will give 100% every match.

Fred I think we still haven’t seen 100% of what he’s capable of, I think he has more goals and attacking threat that we will start to see as he gains more confidence.

Bruno is still settling in so well probably get even better.

McT is still developing so who knows how good he might end up becoming.
have to disagree about freds goal scoring abilities, he’s pretty clearly an atrocious finisher, but the other parts of his game can be brilliant.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I don't like Bruno at the 10. At that spot he can fade in and out due to poor support, or he drops deep leaving a void up front.

I'd love to see him and Fred at the 8 positions in a 4-3-3 (Fred slightly withdrawn), with Scott at the base.

Once Pogba comes back it becomes interesting of course.

Walters_19_MuFc

Yesterday showed that, despite having Bruno as a 10, we still need a someone with the vision and passing range to find those passes in between the lines. Pogba would be the obvious if/when he returns from his injury, but if he leaves, having that type of midfielder should be a priority, along with a right winger.

That said, ideally, i'd put Bruno deeper, and buy an attacking midfielder. Just feel Bruno is better from deep and makes more things happen.

cyril C

Could also work, especially in the home games where we dominate possession.

Fred and Mctominay can put in the work getting up and down no problem as they both have good stamina.

I'm not a massive fan of 3 at the back as I feel it's always 1 less player in a forward position, but it seems to be working for us lately especially in away matches.
Possession is never our problem, in fact we get better result with lack of possession. How to break down a bus is our usual problem, particularly at home, particularly against bottom clubs.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Fred, Bruno and Pogba would be wet dream but we will never see that i guess. So imo, Matic,Fred and Bruno would be my choice.

SER19

Its a shame its full potential can be assessed without rashford and an attacker on the right. But that base with for example sancho martial rashford could be great. Lot of reliance on Bruno in that set up and creative alternatives are needed from bench

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Possession is never our problem, in fact we get better result with lack of possession. How to break down a bus is our usual problem, particularly at home, particularly against bottom clubs.
Well yeah, hence why I said in home games where we dominate possession. That's what I was getting at.

RedIan

Fred and McT are ok midfielders nothing more. Bruno and Pogba are a class a head of them and really Manchester United should have all players a class ahead. For me its Fred or McT HOLDING, plus Bruno, plus Pogba or another new player of Bruno/pogba quality.
Fred and McT together is just too ordinary. They are easily good enough for mid table teams but not one wanting to win the league.

DVG7

third goal was brilliant to see, bruno closes down, plays in fred who sets up mctominay!

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Granted its a 10 man Brugge, but its looking good so far. Plenty of grit and graft and Bruno with some flair
It was before they went down to 10. It's just so dynamic. All of the willing to move to get the ball, all of want to be progressive when they get it.

SteveW

Class. As expected.

Look what difference having a midfield makes.

arnie_ni

Add pogba. Play a diamond with martial and rashford up top, bruno in the hole. Thats some team