Bruno..Possession..Hell No

Andersons Dietician

He was a better player at Sporting. Since he’s come to United be it Ole just allowing him to go down this path or Bruno’s own doing he was far better as an 8 and a far better team player. He needs to go back to doing that and I guarantee we will be a better team. His individual stats count for nothing as far as I’m concerned.

Oranges038

The club should demand assurances that he stops being such a whinging knobhead on the pitch and starts playing better before they offer him a new deal.

UpWithRivers

Bruno is a Coutinho/Ozil type player. Not that he plays like them but in a sense that he's a tactical nightmare for the manager but world class at what they do. They need a free role and the team built around them to make up for their deficiencies. Bruno needs to be back in that free roaming number 10 role just getting assists and goals. Thats what he is best at. Yeah we could push him back to an 8. Yeah maybe shove him on the left or right. But whats the point. He will never be world class in those positions. He can do a job every now and again but he's not going to play to his potential.
Question is for the manager if they want to build the team around him. I could never see him Klopp or Guardiola using him.

Withnail

Last year when I made my view known. I got accused of being a scouser. Or being influenced by social media.
Nothing against the lad or his idea of how the game should be played. Mainly because I'd go as far as saying management at the time shared the same view.

Watching skysports news and the way they are trying to selling the reasons
for his contract extension, just doesn't sit right with me. I want my team to be dominant and not a one man show. We can't continue to build a team around this bloke. Great to have him in the team but shouldn't building around him.,for reason I've already mentioned when I started this thread..

You were accused of supporting Liverpool because you're using your wife's account and at the time it said you supported Liverpool. It wasn't because of your opinions :lol: Your refusal to explain the Liverpool thing, and valiant attempts to keep the thread thing just added fuel to the fire. The whole thing was quite funny.

Totally disagree on Bruno. He's definitely falls into the category the least of our worries.

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I don't think I blame him at all for wanting assurances that the direction/people making the decisions around transfers is changing before signing a longer term deal. It's not like he's threatening to join City or Liverpool like Rooney and Heinze.
It's just a matter of principle.

You don't come to management with the threat like that, even if the intention is good.

And furthermore considering how shit our squad performance at the moment (including him) he is in no position to question the club's ambition. I might understand if a prime Roy Keane who has lead by example question the club ambition, but coming from him? He's part of the problem.

PS: Not even Roy Keane did that unscatched. Rooney was lucky SAF was retiring soon, and the timing was just perfect for him, but 1-2 season longer he would have been sold unceremouniously.

My way or the highway. For better or worse our manager must have supreme control. If he can't perform we sack him, but until the day we sack him, his authority should be unquestionable.

What's more dangerous than a Moyes is a Team who don't fear their manager.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bruno is a Coutinho/Ozil type player. Not that he plays like them but in a sense that he's a tactical nightmare for the manager but world class at what they do. They need a free role and the team built around them to make up for their deficiencies. Bruno needs to be back in that free roaming number 10 role just getting assists and goals. Thats what he is best at. Yeah we could push him back to an 8. Yeah maybe shove him on the left or right. But whats the point. He will never be world class in those positions. He can do a job every now and again but he's not going to play to his potential.
Question is for the manager if they want to build the team around him. I could never see him Klopp or Guardiola using him.
Yep. Give them the freedom and they’ll do well, but it’s sort of at the detriment of the entire side generally. It’s why Coutinho worked at Liverpool on an individual scale and they looked good (peaking at the second best side or so) but better because they were far more balanced without him, and then struggled massively at Barcelona. It’s no surprise he’s doing decent at Villa again — an average side who can have the team made around him.

Hammondo

I agree but I'm not sure he's good enough to justify it.

Trex

I struggle to fault Bruno because I think he genuinely cares and tries his best, I think its up to the manager to shape how the side set up, I think ole likes his front four to play with total freedom and Rangnick isn't a possession monger either.
If we hire someone like Ten Hag then I'll like to see if Bruno can adjust and take less risk.
Over the period he has Bruno's been here, he has been our best player,and a good signing.

-Supreme-

Can't say I believe everything in Th Sun but they are claiming this, which sounds true to me and I've sort of felt it coming. If he ha said this, he isn't exactly wrong!
  • Bruno Fernandes has demanded assurances about Manchester United's transfer plans before he commits to a new long-term deal
He will be 32 by the time his current contract finishes In 2026

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
You were accused of supporting Liverpool because you're using your wife's account and at the time it said you supported Liverpool. It wasn't because of your opinions :lol: Your refusal to explain the Liverpool thing, and valiant attempts to keep the thread thing just added fuel to the fire. The whole thing was quite funny.

Totally disagree on Bruno. He's definitely falls into the category the least of our worries.
See you trying to derail but I'll indulge you. If you disagree with someone point just do but don't try to make fun of them or play smartass.
No. I was called a rawkite/scouser for spouting nonsense about our perceived best player. And nowhere did I mention he is our biggest problem.
Stay on topic.

Withnail

See you trying to derail but I'll indulge you. If you disagree with someone point just do but don't try to make fun of them or play smartass.
No. I was called a rawkite/scouser for spouting nonsense about our perceived best player. And nowhere did I mention he is our biggest problem.
Stay on topic.
I'm not trying to de-rail anything and I don't need to be condescended to. You're misrepresenting what happened. If you had just explained yourself, when asked why you were presenting yourself as a United supporter but the account said 'Supports Liverpool', there wouldn't have been so much kick-back. I found the whole thing quite amusing though and thought most were being light-hearted about it. Go back and read the first few pages.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

It's newspaper headlines. Bruno is not demanding anything. Inquiring would be a better word. I have no issues about players inquiring as to what the plans are for the future.

Idxomer

Why are we discussing a year-old headline?

Anyway, in that period the club bought Sancho, Ronaldo, and Varane and we became a much worse team.

sparx99

I do think we could deploy Bruno as a free roaming LW if we had an attacking left wing back and a decent 3-man midfield. Essentially he would defend the left wing without the ball but play in the no10/inside left channel in possession.

jackal&hyde

He should worry about his game before worrying about who we'll sign.

And thats assuming he really mean what he's saying, instead of just a negotiation trick
I agree and for his time here he has been the best. If the defense and other attacking players would have been half as productive as him we would be winning stuff. This season he dropped off a bit but even so he has 9 goals and 13 assists. He is 27 and this will be his last big contract most likely. Some assurances about the clubs direction are normal imo. If you or I are in his place we would ask the same things; success will not come without major investment and good management.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I agree and for his time here he has been the best. If the defense and other attacking players would have been half as productive as him we would be winning stuff. This season he dropped off a bit but even so he has 9 goals and 13 assists. He is 27 and this will be his last big contract most likely. Some assurances about the clubs direction are normal imo. If you or I are in his place we would ask the same things; success will not come without major investment and good management.
Fair enough. But let's be honest. Those can never be answered. This is not SAF era. And even if you ask murthough or rangnick they honestly dont have a clue beyond probably a vague RM is our priority sort of answer.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He’s nothing like Coutinho and Ozil. For one hes far more hard working than either by a huge margin. Utd fans are enjoying pretending he’s the issue and that he’s a tactical nightmare, he’s not, he just plays in a shockingly coached team where he’s expected to take on all the risk. He’s our best player and our last problem and walks into any team in world football easily. Pogba on the other hand is the complete opposite, he’s a fantastic cherry on top player who causes tactical headaches everywhere he goes.

The_Midfielder

He should be playing as a false nine.. with two strikers/wingers around him... He is a hard worker.. gives his all.. great mentality.. .. In fact we need more players like him in the team..

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
I do think we could deploy Bruno as a free roaming LW if we had an attacking left wing back and a decent 3-man midfield. Essentially he would defend the left wing without the ball but play in the no10/inside left channel in possession.
this is exactly what Ten Hag would do with Bruno.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I very much doubt the Bruno headline is true. If it was he can leave. I didn’t like it when Rooney questioned the squad and I definitely won’t like it if Bruno does it. I could maybe understand it from a near perfect player on the pitch but not from players with their own problems and weaknesses.
They should focus on their own performances. And what exactly are transfer plans going to show him anyway? We have signed enough players / big names / expensive players / established players over the years after all and still didn’t improve.
Players should leave the transfer planning to Ralf and the club and do their talking on the pitch.

Greck

He’s nothing like Coutinho and Ozil. For one hes far more hard working than either by a huge margin. Utd fans are enjoying pretending he’s the issue and that he’s a tactical nightmare, he’s not, he just plays in a shockingly coached team where he’s expected to take on all the risk. He’s our best player and our last problem and walks into any team in world football easily. Pogba on the other hand is the complete opposite, he’s a fantastic cherry on top player who causes tactical headaches everywhere he goes.
They are the same and must be avoided building around at all costs. All stats with questionable actual in-game impact. Bruno loses it with bad decisions while Pogba loses it showing off. Bruno is however a worse big game player and has some insufferable on-field antics. If they just did the basics they'd be world class but insist on playing beyond the borders of their talents. Both also draw passionate support who put down either for flaws they both have.

TheRedHearted

Na man. Elanga on the left, sancho on the right and bruno
He should be playing as a false nine.. with two strikers/wingers around him... He is a hard worker.. gives his all.. great mentality.. .. In fact we need more players like him in the team..
Exactly how it should be. Elanga bruno sancho and DVB behind him and two new dms behind him !

Trex

My goodness, you wouldn't think Bruno would have this much ney sayers when you consider the other players in our squad.

sparx99

My goodness, you wouldn't think Bruno would have this much ney sayers when you consider the other players in our squad.
I don’t think it’s naysayers as such. It’s more that if we want to play 4-3-3 or a possession first system then Bruno needs to adapt his game.

daveskimufc

And he needs to stop acting dramatically injured when he loses the ball. He is a cheat
Agree with you, I HATE it, but that’s the game these days. Players lose a ball will pretend they were fouled/ are injured to save face

arthurka

He is probably one of few players in this squad with any credit in the bank. I find understand that he is hesitant to commit having seen what has been going on at Utd. Clarification on the future and what we are thinking going forward isn't really strange.

Trex

I don’t think it’s naysayers as such. It’s more that if we want to play 4-3-3 or a possession first system then Bruno needs to adapt his game.
I know that, say we appoint ETH and Bruno doesn't adapt then it will be understandable, I get frustrated when he gives away possession as well, but there are some very extreme posts in here, things aren't always black or white.

devil99

Agree with you, I HATE it, but that’s the game these days. Players lose a ball will pretend they were fouled/ are injured to save face
In fact I am expecting more of same from other players as well like prime Barcelona level play acting. Because nice guys finish last

dubplate warrior

Firstly Bruno does not need to be coached to have better decision making. Its just poor and is to the detriment of greater team cohesion as we cannot sustain pressure over long periods due to his inability to recycle possession when necessary.

Coutinho, Bruno and Ozil are all similar in the sense that to get the best out of them the team needs to be built around them. However the other two are much better because they have far superior technical ability and decision making. I would also argue that Bruno is one of the biggest problems with regards to our midfield as he has zero positional discipline.

To get the beat out of Bruno you basically have to let him do what he wants. This is why he got good numbers under Ole. However when we are coached and he has to follow a system you begin to see his deficiencies and inhibitions amplify. I worry about him with ETH and wonder whether people realise that he is not the kind of player that suits a possession based team.