BT retains exclusive rights to Champions League and Europa League football until 2024

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
The Champions League died when it stopped being hosted on ITV with Des Lynam. Those were some nights.

Reactions: Rood

redshaw

Four more years of broom cupboard coverage from BT. What an absolute waste to the nation.

El Zoido

Terrible news, BT is awful and it’s never been the same since they’ve had it.

AFC NimbleThumb

The Champions League died when it stopped being hosted on ITV with Des Lynam. Those were some nights.
The good ol’ days.

Helped we won won more than we lost then too but watching Fresh Prince & Simpsons on BBC2 then having some Champions League on ITV were some of the best days of my life. [Sadly I peaked at 10].

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Am I the only one that likes BT coverage. I'd maybe even go as far as to say I prefer it to sky.

OohAahMartial

Labour just announced they will nationalise BT, and make broadband free, so will Champions League become free and be nationalised too?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Am I the only one that likes BT coverage. I'd maybe even go as far as to say I prefer it to sky.
The goals show with James Richardson and his smug friends is good fun.

I don't even watch one game anymore, just leave them on and see all the action everywhere as it happens.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
No I quite like it. ITV just has nostalgic appeal - I reckon if BT had Clive Tyldesley talking over their Champions League matches instead Steve McManaman, people would be more positive about it.

fps

People care about the coverage? I just want to watch the games.

Zoo

More crap banter from Fletch and friends.

RedDevilRoshi

Those were the good days. Not the same anymore.

The goals show with James Richardson and his smug friends is good fun.

I don't even watch one game anymore, just leave them on and see all the action everywhere as it happens.
The Goals Show is the only good thing about BT’s CL coverage.

If they had something a little similar with the Europa League, I’d probably do the same.

DRM

I was at BT Sport's studios today, they were hosting a sports tech event. Really impressive facility and their COO was there presenting. They have some ambitious plans coming up, all focused on fan engagement and providing the user an immersive experience. No idea what that's means though, I was too busy staring at some birds giant tits

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I was at BT Sport's studios today, they were hosting a sports tech event. Really impressive facility and their COO was there presenting. They have some ambitious plans coming up, all focused on fan engagement and providing the user an immersive experience. No idea what that's means though, I was too busy staring at some birds giant tits
:lol:

arnie_ni

Pictures or it didnt happen

RUCK4444

Mcmanaman, Keown and Savage make my feckin’ ears bleed!!

It’s like they go out of their way to hire terrible commentators.

I honestly can’t pick who’s the worst of the three.

I haven’t heard Owen or Hargreaves on commentating for a while though, both have annoying voices.

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
Labour just announced they will nationalise BT, and make broadband free, so will Champions League become free and be nationalised too?
If they win the GE, reports said they would aim to do this by 2030...probably a load of rubbish as per usual politics.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Good news, so much better than sky.

predator

Youth NITK
:lol: mate

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
FFS, was hoping ITV would at least get a portion of rights back.

I assume there's nothing free to air? I remember in their first year or two they put a game on freeview channel but that got stopped. I know they put the final on youtube but there's always a big time delay with that if you have the radio on at the same time.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Rather them than Sky. I wouldn't mind it back on ITV though either, prefer their highlights show they used to have. If you're on Virgin like me Sky want you to pay extra for their HD/4k packages, it's a backwards channel. I pay enough as it is and I don't get that kerfuffle with BT, they scrapped their SD channels long ago.

Bojan11

I thought sky would come back in for it.
They did with ITV too.

But BT are more desperate for it as this is basically their football rights. It’s a bit like how Sky are with premier league, so they can’t afford to lose it.

Didn’t think Sky would get it anyway they just interested in English football.

Mr Chutney

Mango Mango Man
hopefully it truly is an immersive experience then :smirk:

tits

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
:lol:

Chipper

Adulterer.
Works well for me as I have it and not Sky.

Still find plenty of rivers for Sky games and I think both are shit. Prefer Russsian streams to either where I can't understand what they're saying.

Red Keane

I am surprised they retained the rights, was it not the case that they where winding down their BT Sport operation or something like that?

Bulldog United

I am surprised they retained the rights, was it not the case that they where winding down their BT Sport operation or something like that?
They have scaled back their ambitions to be a strong number two behind Sky. BT didn’t fight hard for the best Premier League packages last auction, and it allowed both Sky and BT to put a lid on those escalating rights costs. The result meant BT was able to defend its turf now.

Sky and BT have also entered into a wholesale arrangement now that will allow each to sell the others channels. BT wanted Sky entertainment channels, Sky wanted to be able to resell BT Sport direct. So Sky will soon probably be able to do a new top tier sports pack that includes BT Sport and Champions League.

I doubt Sky was very interested in blowing BT out of the water on European club cup football. BT keeping this means they won’t have a bigger budget for the next Premier League auction, and Premier League is sky’s bread and butter. I think both Sky and BT are comfortable with what they have now.

Red Keane

They have scaled back their ambitions to be a strong number two behind Sky. BT didn’t fight hard for the best Premier League packages last auction, and it allowed both Sky and BT to put a lid on those escalating rights costs. The result meant BT was able to defend its turf.

Sky and BT have also entered into a wholesale arrangement now that will allow each to sell the others channels. BT wanted Sky entertainment channels, Sky wanted to be able to resell BT Sport direct. So Sky will soon probably be able to do a new top tier sports pack that includes BT Sport and Champions League.
Thanks for telling me this, although it does make wonder why BT still want to continue with the BT Sport project in light of their non-aggression pact with Sky (and the fact they have recently let go of quite a lot of broadcasting rights such as Serie A and The FA Cup). Especially when both of them face the prospect of competing with Amazon at least in the near future.

Likewise with Comcast now owing Sky, I would have thought they would have made a much stronger effort to regain these rights themselves, especially considering how their football broadcasting rights now only consist of the PL, the Scottish Premiership, the Football League/League Cup and Home Nations Internationals. So I would have thought regaining the CL/EL rights would have something of a priority for them, since it would have meant that they would have complete control of all the most watched football competitions in England, Wales & Scotland (apart from the FA Cup).

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So my brother will have to keep his BT account which I can then use to stream our Europa League games on for the next 5 years then...

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
£1.2bn deal, up from £900m apparently. I wonder when the subscription increases will land :mad:

Pagh Wraith

The way football is presented in the UK is so over the top to me. Here in Germany it has alway been one host, one pundit (if any at all), one commentator. Only recently they introduced a co-commentator for some matches.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The way football is presented in the UK is so over the top to me. Here in Germany it has alway been one host, one pundit (if any at all), one commentator. Only recently they introduced a co-commentator for some matches.
If we cut back on all the blasted pundits maybe the BT subscription wouldn't be so high. I think once my broadband/phone contract is due for renewal I will be looking elsewhere and BT Sport will be slinging it's hook as well. I am sick of it going up all the time.