BT Sport up for sale

Alanxyz

Wouldn’t be against Amazon purely for their audio options, you could watch matches purely with the stadium sound, so you could effectively mute the commentators without losing the atmosphere.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Their coverage is shit, pretty much all their commentators are unbearable (what does it say when Glenn fecking Hoddle is the best one by miles?), and their lead football presenter is a massive closet dipper.

Can't say I'd be shedding many tears.

rotherham_red

There's not a chance in hell Amazon would keep it as part of their £8 prime subscription if they did buy up that many games. I'd still expect it to be cheaper than BT though.
Amazon don't really jack up the prices on Prime or anything on the retail side of things generally, it's essentially a loss leader for them. So, as long as they maintain or increase their market share, they'll likely maintain a similar pricing structure and if there is an increase it would most likely be something paltry.

kkj25

This competitive market rights stuff is all nonsense as it is. It may result in more people bidding for things but it just means the consumer pays so much more than before. I mean subscriptions for Sky, BT, Netflix and Amazon plus there is Disney as well now plus lots of people have music subscription thing as well. It was maybe bit less content but when it was just Sky but it was a lot more cost effective for the consumer. The subscription was high but nothing compared to now cumulatively

stu_1992

UCL back on itv please! The 15 mins analysis after the game was enough. Don’t need an hour to see why the left back was so influential
I agree back on free TV would be ideal, but I don't get the criticism about having longer analysis after the game. Just don't watch it if it doesn't interest you?

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I’m already a prime subscriber so Amazon would be great for me, £7.99 for the football & a big video library & free next day delivery, as opposed to £40 a month for virgin just to watch the football.
I'd like that but I'd assume they would up the fee for the football, can't see them giving it away as Prime.

rotherham_red

I don't think they are looking to sell the whole of BT Sport btw, from the report in the Telegraph last night it said it would be a stake, so it will presumably still be BT running the show. They just don't want to be spending large and copious amounts on sports. It's probably with a mid to long term view of selling it, but not at this point. Even if they do sell it, it will likely still be the same people on the coalface, so to speak.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Their coverage is shit, pretty much all their commentators are unbearable (what does it say when Glenn fecking Hoddle is the best one by miles?), and their lead football presenter is a massive closet dipper.

Problem is though, the presenters and pundits just move along to the next broadcaster, likely the one that buys up BT.
You cant get rid of them feckers.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Amazon don't really jack up the prices on Prime or anything on the retail side of things generally, it's essentially a loss leader for them. So, as long as they maintain or increase their market share, they'll likely maintain a similar pricing structure and if there is an increase it would most likely be something paltry.
They won't jack up the price, they will have it as an extra subscription fee should you want it. They already do it with stuff like Starz Play. There is loads on prime video that you have to pay extra for.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
sorry.

according to the financial times, a newspaper in the uk that is pink but not feminine, bt sports is up for sale. they hope to find a buyer.
A popular reason for selling something.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
What is the value in BT sport? Given it doesn't make a profit by the look of it. There is also little prospect for growth. Once the rights they have lapse, can just wind it down.

Why would any other company buy it? If you're Amazon, just bid for the rights directly at the next auction and start from scratch.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
In the past though we’ve had to pay top ridiculous prices to sky to see about a third of the games.

When they are the only provider it’s a nightmare in the UK.
Agree entirely. But that is the PL only choosing to sell UK TV rights to a limited number of games.

rotherham_red

They won't jack up the price, they will have it as an extra subscription fee should you want it. They already do it with stuff like Starz Play. There is loads on prime video that you have to pay extra for.
Ah that's true and certainly possible, but then wouldn't they have done the same with the Tennis rights they have? Things like Starz Play etc are relatively niche products, while the PL would have much more of a potential audience. People might still pay, but I think it would be counterintuitive to Amazon if they did charge for it when they have already set the precedent of not charging more for the games they have at the moment.

rotherham_red

What is the value in BT sport? Given it doesn't make a profit by the look of it. There is also little prospect for growth. Once the rights they have lapse, can just wind it down.

Why would any other company buy it? If you're Amazon, just bid for the rights directly at the next auction and start from scratch.
It does make a profit now, but that was after BT hiked up the prices in the last few years. It used to be that you'd get BT Sport free if you took out broadband, but now you have to pay a price for it and with it being on other platforms now (principally Sky) those customers are paying an additional premium for the service (£25 p/m)

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Always hated BT sport. Bad commentary, bad presentation and very expensive. I honestly can’t wait for the day football wakes up and gets rid of all these 3rd parties and just broadcasts the games themselves. Streaming is the way forward.

RUCK4444

Since Sky no longer have a monopoly it's become more expensive to watch football. You have to have a Sky account, a BT account and even an Amazon account now to cover all bases unless you use rivers.

Why is it so good for fans to have multiple stations? I don't get the logic.
I'm not so worried about the price, I wan't MORE games televised.

If sky are the only ones broadcasting games in the UK they will inevitably show less overall when compared to multiple broadcasters.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

If sky are the only ones broadcasting games in the UK they will inevitably show less overall when compared to multiple broadcasters.
Oh right.... glad you're not. What about the millions of people who are? Not everyone can afford to fork out for Sky football, BT football every month.

Personally think there's way too many games televised as it is. Obviously Covid is partly responsible for that though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Humphrey? Norwich fan.

Have heard him make plenty of light digs at Liverpool, so no chance he favours them.

Are you one of those guys who think Tyler/every commentator are ABU?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

It will already feel odd when we go from every game back to say 4 a week.
And even worse if BT stop showing their one a week too.

Can't see it happening, someone will take the BT slot. You just can't have one company for the whole rights package due to the monopolies rule.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Oh right.... glad you're not. What about the millions of people who are? Not everyone can afford to fork out for Sky football, BT football every month.

Personally think there's way too many games televised as it is. Obviously Covid is partly responsible for that though.
But if all the games are televised, then the Sky/BT prices become that much more reasonable pro rata.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Ah that's true and certainly possible, but then wouldn't they have done the same with the Tennis rights they have? Things like Starz Play etc are relatively niche products, while the PL would have much more of a potential audience. People might still pay, but I think it would be counterintuitive to Amazon if they did charge for it when they have already set the precedent of not charging more for the games they have at the moment.
I don't know the numbers behind it but surely PL rights would cost a f*ck-tonne more than any sports they currently have. You are right that Prime Video is generally cheap enough because it's used by amazon as an incentive to buy Prime itself to use all the other features of it but it's still hard to imagine them spending £1bn+ on rights and making it free! Like I said if their model was as you describe above then stuff like Starz Play wouldn't be extra.

Plus, even if they charged only an extra tenner for it, people would happily pay that vs what BT Sports currently costs.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse

3 o’clock kick offs and not being able to watch your team each game week are big issues right now.

i am devising my own concept with vr headsets. i’m not down in the details with vr but i reckon i understand it enough. basically 22 fans at the stadium watch the game with vr headsets. they are assigned a player each. the information the headset receives as the fan watches the player is then beamed across to 22 other vr headsets being worn by fans in a park.

the fans in the park then recreate what is happening at old trafford. the technology might not be ready to be able to do this with a ball too, so the fans might just have to mime what is happening on the pitch. the main plus point is that this can be live streamed and it gets around the problems of tv rights.

eventually crowds will start to form at the park and i can then sell tickets to see the reproduced match. the crowds will start to empty from the stadiums until the only fans left are the 22 with vr headsets.

soon keith the postal worker will be deified for his impression of messi. fame will go to his head and his marriage will dissolve after a string of illicit romps with fangirls in his post van. footballer salaries will dwindle as a result, messi will have to pick up a living turning tricks on the steps of the sagrada familia

re-foot will eventually get so big that i will be able to sell the tv rights to the reproduced games for an extortionate amount of money. the cycle will repeat. early adopters can subscribe for just £7 a month. you in?

RUCK4444

Yeah well that’s life unfortunately bud.

Why would it benefit anybody to have sky lording over it and televising four games a week?

Can’t think of anything worse. And competition should reduce the cost not increase it.

RUCK4444

3 o’clock kick offs and not being able to watch your team each game week are big issues right now.

i am devising my own concept with vr headsets. i’m not down in the details with vr but i reckon i understand it enough. basically 22 fans at the stadium watch the game with vr headsets. they are assigned a player each. the information the headset receives as the fan watches the player is then beamed across to 22 other vr headsets being worn by fans in a park.

the fans in the park then recreate what is happening at old trafford. the technology might not be ready to be able to do this with a ball too, so the fans might just have to mime what is happening on the pitch. the main plus point is that this can be live streamed and it gets around the problems of tv rights.

eventually crowds will start to form at the park and i can then sell tickets to see the reproduced match. the crowds will start to empty from the stadiums until the only fans left are the 22 with vr headsets.

soon keith the postal worker will be deified for his impression of messi. fame will go to his head and his marriage will dissolve after a string of illicit romps with fangirls in his post van. footballer salaries will dwindle as a result, messi will have to pick up a living turning tricks on the steps of the sagrada familia

re-foot will eventually get so big that i will be able to sell the tv rights to the reproduced games for an extortionate amount of money. the cycle will repeat. early adopters can subscribe for just £7 a month. you in?
I’m in. I’ll give you all of the investment money for 95% of the business... what say ye?

RUCK4444

It will already feel odd when we go from every game back to say 4 a week.
And even worse if BT stop showing their one a week too.

Can't see it happening, someone will take the BT slot. You just can't have one company for the whole rights package due to the monopolies rule.
Yeah this is exactly what I’m worried about. Going from everything being televised for the first time in history in the UK back to only the big games or ‘super feckin Sunday’ on Sky.

Hopefully BT get bought and Amazon push on with broadcasting more games, hopefully with the latter more involved it will force a reduction in cost for Sky and BT for everybody.

Oranges038

I'll signed up, if you can switch the tech so that VR actually controls the players. 22 lads in the park playing jumpers for goal posts controlling the players at OT. On Tv, it looks like someone pulled of a fancy move, but it was actually just the winger jumping to avoid a pile of dog shit.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I’m in. I’ll give you all of the investment money for 95% of the business... what say ye?
the £7 a month is for the tv rights when i eventually sell them. i haven’t decided on the initial cost.

I'll signed up, if you can switch the tech so that VR actually controls the players. 22 lads in the park playing jumpers for goal posts controlling the players at OT. On Tv, it looks like someone pulled of a fancy move, but it was actually just the winger jumping to avoid a pile of dog shit.
i can’t take any money for that, it already exists. how else do you explain fred’s performances?

Green_Red

sorry.

according to the financial times, a newspaper in the uk that is pink but not feminine, bt sports is up for sale. they hope to find a buyer.
Don't forget to add the shareprice has bounced 2p a share on the news. That's the financial part of the news.

Oranges038

the £7 a month is for the tv rights when i eventually sell them. i haven’t decided on the initial cost.

i can’t take any money for that, it already exists. how else do you explain fred’s performances?
Poor Fred. Being controlled by Djemba Djemba somehere.