Buffon’s list of Top keepers currently playing | De Gea not included

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Does anyone believe that Buffon actually watches all those goalkeepers play regularly? He probably just named 5 goalies at the top of his head without putting much thought into it.
Even if that were the case how on earth can De Gea be omitted? Surely he's at least the 2nd or 3rd name on anyones list and it goes without saying he should actually be 1st

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Much ado about nothing, IMO — reads more like forgetfulness on Buffon's part than some sort of devious snub. Footballers don't always have the most educated opinions on these matters and a lot of them don't even follow the sport with as much attention to detail as an average fan, plus different players have different evaluations, and they can't always recall specific players at the drop of a hat — that's probably what Buffon was alluding to with the “I hope I haven’t forgotten anyone” bit. e.g. ter Stegen's list included Neuer, De Gea, Ederson and Alisson — with Oblak being the most notable exclusion. Also, there's a bias in favor of elite Champions League teams in some of these lists, and for all his heroics in the league and domestic competitions, David hasn't compiled a significant body of work in the competition — whereas Courtois is retroactively benefiting from the reputation he had at Atlético behind the best defense in the world. I doubt Buffon would genuinely claim some of those names are better than De Gea after comparing their game tapes.
This.

I'm not sure the context of the question, but often when I'm asked "top 5 attackers/defenders etc." I can speedily name 3 or so...then it becomes a game of thinking, and I often go back as I end up forgetting/missing someone.

Also, the less people who rate DDG, the better for us, I say :D

padr81

Supports
Man City
I’d have to see how he said it for context but “I hope I haven’t forgotten anyone” sounds like a bit of a bitchy comment when he’s obviously forgetting a goalkeeper lauded by many as the best in the world. Including Courtois and Ederson who are in the same league and inferior but forgetting De Gea seems a little off.

Looking to preserve his status by dismissing the player with the best claim to his crown perhaps?
You genuinely think Buffon is jealous of DDG taking over his mantle at 40 years old?

While I think DDG is the best keeper in the world, he has been left out of many lists...
France Football had him 7th.. what are they looking to preserve? That was a panel of top keepers who took the vote and the highest De Gea got off any of them was 3rd.

Maybe he's just not as far ahead of every other keeper as many believe? With Marca he won best keeper in the world but only narrowly defeated Neuer despite him being Spanish no.1, 7 votes to 5.

But fwiw, I think Buffon just forgot about him and he'd be on the list if he remembered.

Murray3007

not sure all the fuss about Buffon, surely the most over rated GK of all time, he clearly just wanting some air time now with comments like that, sure after Navas performance last night he will still think hes up there as one of the best in the world.

Jagga7

I think because we haven't had much recent success it hurts his worldwide reputation. We haven't had a decent run in the CL or come close to winning the league in a while. Hopefully he will have a great WC and get the recognition he deserves.

arthurka

I'm a huge DDG fan but he has some weaknesses. He's the best shot stopper but there is more to goalkeeping than shotstopping and at those other things he is not the best. Still the best in the PL though.
His control of the box is very limited and claiming crosses and corners is way behind the best..

prath92

Not having that he forgot. Or that he doesn’t watch DDG. Unless he has been living under a rock for 4 years now, you don’t not notice someone who has been elected best GK in this league for a while and you can’t just forget him and remember ederson who has been in city for half a year.

Plus ederson and Courtois have done nothing of late in the CL to give them an advantage. Courtois’ 13-14 campaign being key is also a bit far fetched. That’s now a long time ago. Would we still call Wayne Rooney a top player because he was good that year?

Bestietom

Now Buffon enters the arena with his list

When asked the best keepers playing today he said

There seems to be a lot of current and former keepers who don’t consider him as good as many other contemporary keepers. The former keepers who had him 7th best right now and the Ballon D’or fiasco where he was snubbed.
A liitle Jealousy maybe. ???

Mensch ist der United

Supports
FC Bayern München & Bursaspor
He just stated his opinion. He even added that he hopes he did not forget anyone, so maybe he even just forgot him... why are people getting offended so fast? Utd Glasses?

I can only say, De Gea has an interdomestic reputation as a good goalie but not more. Ever when I saw him he was average. I must admit I cannot follow every Man Utd game and the presence in european top games were rare for Utd the last years. Therefore he cannot show his class on the highest stage and might come short when it comes to these lists.

Personally I think DDG is overrated on this forum. He never impressed me that much. I think there are a few better keepers like the ones Buffon mentioned.

Ban

He just stated his opinion. He even added that he hopes he did not forget anyone, so maybe he even just forgot him... why are people getting offended so fast? Utd Glasses?

I can only say, De Gea has an interdomestic reputation as a good goalie but not more. Ever when I saw him he was average. I must admit I cannot follow every Man Utd game and the presence in european top games were rare for Utd the last years. Therefore he cannot show his class on the highest stage and might come short when it comes to these lists.

Personally I think DDG is overrated on this forum. He never impressed me that much. I think there are a few better keepers like the ones Buffon mentioned.
Just a good goalie?
Overrated?
Never impressed you?

You should follow United games more. It's a bizarre post.

RedDevil@84

How dare you leave out DDG. Karma bites you.

Interestingly, Buffon on retiring in March 2017:

"I don't even know if I'll retire after next year's World Cup," he said. "Of course I have objectives, but there are no certainties. Maybe I could even end my career with a headbutt like Zidane did. I could nut somebody -- who knows. I need to search deep within myself and work out how I feel. You can never say never, though.

prath92

It’s pretty rich to call DDG just a good goalie and then say Ederson and Courtois better than him. Ederson sure he is better than DDG for city the same way Valdes was better than Casillas for peps team. No one could even say Courtois is better.

Nostradamus

Can’t even predict the past
De Gea is obviously the best goalkeeper in the world right now, and dare I say, even better than Neuer from a few years back. Unlike Neuer, de Gea in not nonchalant - he causes very, very few errors due to lack of focus. De Gea is also more agile than Neuer who looks a bit heavier in my opinion. I know it's part of his style and role, but Neuer often came out of the box to tackle players - leading to dangerous situations.
Unlike Neuerr, de Gea in not nonchalant? :lol:

I mean seriously, how can anybody claim that de Gea is better than Neuer? Neuer has been the ultimate 21st Century goalkeeper..revolutionized the role of a goalkeeper and has no weaknesses at all. He is a monster between the sticks, commanding the box like nobody before and being fantastic with the ball in his feet. He is the complete package and is like an alien compared to others..the Messi of goalkeepers.

IMO de Gea is a very good GK and he is WC, no doubt about that..I even think de Gea is the 2nd best behind Neuer, but Neuer is a different animal..a class above the rest. GOAT

Schneckerl

Would have guess he just rates goalies who had memorable CL runs and that he doesn't really follow united, but he included Ederson...

Trizy

Buffon has a very good relationship with Casillas.
A rival of his generation when he was younger and Casillas was still "San Iker"
Several interviews showing mutual respect and perhaps even critics of his Madrid exit. Maybe the list is something like "the one that took place in the national team is not good after all"
He was great in Gladiator tbf.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
To be fair, the general trend is that De Gea isn’t rated as highly on the continent as he is in England.

That’s perhaps because despite being 27/28 years old, he still hasn’t made any impact on the Champions League or international football.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
To be fair, the general trend is that De Gea isn’t rated as highly on the continent as he is in England.

That’s perhaps because despite being 27/28 years old, he still hasn’t made any impact on the Champions League or international football.
Im guessing screwing up in Euro 2016 didn't help?

Mensch ist der United

Supports
FC Bayern München & Bursaspor
Just a good goalie?
Overrated?
Never impressed you?

You should follow United games more. It's a bizarre post.
I already told you I do not watch too many Man Utd EPL games a season, so that is my view, live with it. I think you got me wrong because you might be an emotional fan. I did not attack your beloved goalie. I just want to point out that De Gea is not rated as world's best Goalkeeper like most United fanboys would say, because he did not show his excellence in any big international matches.. and that of course because, fairly, he did not play any.

There are simply a few GKs who are lucky to play those matches regurlarly. Those are almost the only which matter for getting to the ultimate top. Second Sevilla goal for example is toxic for DDG's international evaluation.

And please, if you have arguments against my opinion, state them, because saying it is bizarre is kinda... bizarre.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

I think there are some general reasons why he isn't rated:

1) He largely failed at Euro 2016, had a couple of mistakes which cost Spain so he wasn't able to gain international success with them in that competition

2) No UCL success, or even near success. The furthest he has gone is the quarter-finals and though that is in no fault of his own, it does damper his reputation when his contemporaries have won titles, domestically and on the European stage.

2) He doesn't command his area as much as the Neuer, Ter Stegen etc. Maybe that's a thing fellow goalkeepers value amongst themselves, a goalkeepers job is also to control the defense infront of him and be authoritative, that's an issue I think we all agree De Gea has. He seems to restrict himself to only saving shots and plays rather safe when it comes to coming out of his line to collect crosses or clear balls.

Still, to me he is the best keeper in the world and has struggled to gain the reputation Neuer has because he plays for a largely inferior team.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
'Not taking into account Italian keepers, I would say Oblak, Navas, ter Stegen, Ederson, Neuer and Courtois

I hope I haven’t forgotten anyone'

You sure have dear Gigi 'Red Card' Buffon!

The FIRST name to come to your mind should have definitely been DDG.

I hope Buffon retires with dignity for he WAS a truly great goalkeeper.

GazTheLegend

Who should we trust, a bunch of bias United fans or one of the best goalkeepers of all time. If he doesn't consider De Gea one of the best I think it proves how much we've overrated him.

Now, does anyone know if Florentino Perez reads the Caf?
Yes couldn’t agree more, if Buffon doesn’t rate de Gea then Madrid should perhaps be looking at keeping Keylor Navas as he was named by Buffon and therefore is clearly far superior. No point signing a backup keeper for silly money is there! *taps head*

Ban

I already told you I do not watch too many Man Utd EPL games a season, so that is my view, live with it. I think you got me wrong because you might be an emotional fan. I did not attack your beloved goalie. I just want to point out that De Gea is not rated as world's best Goalkeeper like most United fanboys would say, because he did not show his excellence in any big international matches.. and that of course because, fairly, he did not play any.

There are simply a few GKs who are lucky to play those matches regurlarly. Those are almost the only which matter for getting to the ultimate top. Second Sevilla goal for example is toxic for DDG's international evaluation.

And please, if you have arguments against my opinion, state them, because saying it is bizarre is kinda... bizarre.
My argument is you should watch more United PL games as I stated already.

Also by your point keepers show their excellence only in big international matches which is of course wrong.
And you're stating one goal (1) which is supposedly toxic for his international evaluation....

Me being emotional or not doesn't have anything with this.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Im guessing screwing up in Euro 2016 didn't help?
Yeah

There are a lot of United fans who think that De Gea is better than Schmeichel ever was. No one in Spain considers De Gea anywhere near prime Casillas.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah

There are a lot of United fans who think that De Gea is better than Schmeichel ever was. No one in Spain considers De Gea anywhere near prime Casillas.
Wow really? He's excellent but as far as United keepers are concerned he's still behind VDS for me let alone Schmeichel.

Ban

Yeah

Is that cause of lack of tropheys, lack of CL success or him playing outside Spain or just something completely else?

I still regards Schmikes as the best ever United keeper but DDG is not far behind.

el3mel

Wow really? He's excellent but as far as United keepers are concerned he's still behind VDS for me let alone Schmeichel.
He's behind Schmeichel but has exceeded VDS that's for sure, in terms of performance at least.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yeah

Most people on Spain don't closely follow United, but they have closely followed Madrid, so that is to be expected.

The only thing prime Casillas had over De Gea is his leadership (which is totally absent on De Gea). In everything else, including reflexes which were Casillas trademark, De Gea is better.

extincti fugax hominum

Looks like he didn't watch so much football in the last 5 years.

And i can understand Oblak(this is the guy i want if we lose Dave), Navas(he won back to back CLs + was great in WC 2014) but what did the likes of ter Stegen, Ederson etc. do to be mentioned as the best keepers in the world? Is playing in Barcelona or City is enough for that?

el3mel

Looks like he didn't watch so much football in the last 5 years.

And i can understand Oblak(this is the guy i want if we lose Dave), Navas(he won back to back CLs + was great in WC 2014) but what did the likes of ter Stegen, Ederson etc. do to be mentioned as the best keepers in the world? Is playing in Barcelona or City is enough for that?
Stegen is having a great season as far as I'm concerned. Ederson should be the one out of this. Good keeper but not WC as Dave.

Alexit

He's trying to remain relevant by not including DDG.

Deserves RC based on that alone. This is a joke.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He's behind Schmeichel but has exceeded VDS that's for sure, in terms of performance at least.
I always thought VDS was a big reason your Rio/Vidic partnership was at the level it was. Obviously i have small sample size compared to you but i always saw VDS leading his defense and was always sweeping up the few times either cocked up.

el3mel

I always thought VDS was a big reason your Rio/Vidic partnership was at the level it was. Obviously i have small sample size compared to you but i always saw VDS leading his defense and was always sweeping up the few times either cocked up.
I loved VDS a lot and still. Dave has become a better shot stopper though.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Is that cause of lack of tropheys, lack of CL success or him playing outside Spain or just something completely else?

I still regards Schmikes as the best ever United keeper but DDG is not far behind.
It's a combination of all

1. He doesn't play for Real Madrid or Barcelona, therefore they don't watch him on a regular basis.

2. He made crucial mistakes at Euro 2016. He had an awful game against Croatia in particular, which cost Spain the top spot of the group.

3. He hasn't achieved much outside of England. Never been beyond the quarter finals of the Champions League.

Neuer is wildly regarded as the best goalkeeper. DDG is considered a tier below, along with Oblak, Navas and MATS.