Gaming Building a gaming PC

Bojan11

@Fortitude what number are you now?

I moved up 3 places in the last week from 73 to 70, so 16 places in the last two weeks. So I don’t expect to get one in November.

Hoping people cancel with AMD announcement.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

I moved up 3 places in the last week from 73 to 70, so 16 places in the last two weeks. So I don’t expect to get one in November.

Amd should have decent supply according to buildzoid. Not sure how much he knows about these things but something to do with having a mature 7nm node as mentioned in his video i posted earlier. Either way, I can see a lot of people cancelling as 6800xt and 6900xt is a very good proposition minus Ray tracing and dlss.

Marcelinho87

For the first time ever I am considering an AMD GPU! The 6800XT is perfect but I am unsure if I should concentrate on my CPU first with me being on a 2700 still.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Same. I am starting to doubt I'm getting this from either order in 2020.

Paxi

Same. I am starting to doubt I'm getting this from either order in 2020.
This has been an absolute joke by NVIDIA. Worst paper launch I can remember of any product.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
But we don't know how 6800 will perform in Ray Tracing and it doesn't have a DLSS equivalent.
Yeah, I'm leaning towards waiting a while longer to see what NVIDIA does with the 3070. A super/TI version with more vram would be ideal.

Or am I placing too much importance on the amount of VRAM?

I'm a bit wary of AMD and their Smart Access Memory thing with Ryzen 5000. Not too fond of being tied down to a particular company just to get the best out of a hardware.

Marcelinho87

This has been an absolute joke by NVIDIA. Worst paper launch I can remember of any product.
I have read they rushed it because they had info on the AMD stuff so they pushed out release despite being nowhere near ready.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I have read they rushed it because they had info on the AMD stuff so they pushed out release despite being nowhere near ready.
Shouldn't be allowed. Got people all over the world having been charged for this in September- early October with absolutely no idea when they'll get the product. Literally could be months from now.

Marcelinho87

Shouldn't be allowed. Got people all over the world having been charged for this in September- early October with absolutely no idea when they'll get the product. Literally could be months from now.
100% agreed, should only be able to sell stock they have in hand.

As for people worried over AMD and their Smart Access Memory thing, I wouldn't. It's yet to be seen if any developers would actually take advantage of it. I would look at it as more of an extra/bonus than I would as losing out on performance because individually you will still be maxing out both pieces of hardware anyway.

Paxi

Yeah, I'm leaning towards waiting a while longer to see what NVIDIA does with the 3070. A super/TI version with more vram would be ideal.

Or am I placing too much importance on the amount of VRAM?

I'm a bit wary of AMD and their Smart Access Memory thing with Ryzen 5000. Not too fond of being tied down to a particular company just to get the best out of a hardware.
I'm playing most of game in 2080ti at 4k and vram is hitting 7gb tops so I think I 3070 will be fine. Obviously for now, but in couple of years time that will change.

Paxi

Strong possibility although they've always released stuff around the same time. They've also used a 8nm Samsung node which has a low yielding process hence the shortage of cards. AMD will be using TMSC which they have used before and is considered a mature node therefore the availability of these cards should be better.

ArjenIsM3

Monitored the RTX3070 launch and could have got a MSI RTX3070 Gaming X Trio for €639 but it's just not worth it. Should be around €550. Nvidia said MSRP is what €499? I'm not paying €140 extra just for a fancy cooler and some RGB lights.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I'm in a tough spot.
I'm getting a Zen 3 chip, so maybe an AMD GPU is the way forward.

I just feel like Nvidia know the GPU scene. They've always made cards that just work, and AMD are almost like the new kids on the block. Just become potential big hitters, but do I put my faith in this or go with whats always been on top.

Intel are the same, but AMD have proved to believe what they say and have bettered them, so maybe they are being truthful and maybe I should trust what they say with GPUs also

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Can anyone please recommend a new device for my dad, poor guy is stuck on an 8 year old ipad still and finally wants a new laptop/tablet.

He only uses it to browse Internet really so he said he wants a HD + bigger screen. Under £500.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Can anyone please recommend a new device for my dad, poor guy is stuck on an 8 year old ipad still and finally wants a new laptop/tablet.

He only uses it to browse Internet really so he said he wants a HD + bigger screen. Under £500.
I'd look at picking up an ipad pro 12.9"
If he's happy tapping away on a tablet, these are really nice and big (unless you want brand new)

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I'd look at picking up an ipad pro 12.9"
If he's happy tapping away on a tablet, these are really nice and big (unless you want brand new)

Aren't they like £900 he only wants to spend about £500 max.

I was looking at a galaxy s6 or s7. They seem to have good reviews.

ArjenIsM3

I think its going to be 5800x + 6800XT for me.

Interesting. Where'd you find those? Since I'm on a 3700x and 2560x1440 the 6800xt is an interesting card but it'll probably be on par with the rtx3080 so for me it's going to be whatever I get my hands on first. Ordered another 3080 today which the store promises was in stock so I'll be happy if I manage to get that. Usually I get an email the following day saying they've run out but we'll see.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
I'm in a tough spot.
I'm getting a Zen 3 chip, so maybe an AMD GPU is the way forward.

I just feel like Nvidia know the GPU scene. They've always made cards that just work, and AMD are almost like the new kids on the block. Just become potential big hitters, but do I put my faith in this or go with whats always been on top.

Intel are the same, but AMD have proved to believe what they say and have bettered them, so maybe they are being truthful and maybe I should trust what they say with GPUs also
I have had a rx 580 for the last year and couldnt be happier tbh

Paxi

I'd wait for reviews on amd cards first. They can be plagued by various driver issues. You just don't know what you'll get and how fast you'll get optimisation.

Anyone that's looking at these charts, know; all of the benchmarks have been done under 'lab' conditions and I'd strongly urge all of you to wait until reviews. In fact, if you're undecided on which team you're going to pick I'd wait until the stock normalises and you have all the reviews out, so you can make an informed decision.

Guys, isn't it a bit worrying how AMD are super quiet on Ray tracing and DLSS equivelant? For instance, Cyberpunk is going to use Ray tracing and utilise dlss, so 6900xt performance, perhaps could be around 3070 with rt switched on and 3070's could be around 6900xt's with dlss switched on. I'm not saying that's what will happen but it could and then you'll feel like a right cnut.

Wait for reviews guys and gals. Though I do hope AMD smash it out of the park. Competition is good. If not for AMD, we'd still have intel i7's with 6 cores.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Interesting. Where'd you find those? Since I'm on a 3700x and 2560x1440 the 6800xt is an interesting card but it'll probably be on par with the rtx3080 so for me it's going to be whatever I get my hands on first. Ordered another 3080 today which the store promises was in stock so I'll be happy if I manage to get that. Usually I get an email the following day saying they've run out but we'll see.
Apparently from amd themselves!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'd wait for reviews on amd cards first. They can be plagued by various driver issues. You just don't know what you'll get and how fast you'll get optimisation.

Anyone that's looking at these charts, know; all of the benchmarks have been done under 'lab' conditions and I'd strongly urge all of you to wait until reviews. In fact, if you're undecided on which team you're going to pick I'd wait until the stock normalises and you have all the reviews out, so you can make an informed decision.

Guys, isn't it a bit worrying how AMD are super quiet on Ray tracing and DLSS equivelant? For instance, Cyberpunk is going to use Ray tracing and utilise dlss, so 6900xt performance, perhaps could be around 3070 with rt switched on and 3070's could be around 6900xt's with dlss switched on. I'm not saying that's what will happen but it could and then you'll feel like a right cnut.

Wait for reviews guys and gals. Though I do hope AMD smash it out of the park. Competition is good. If not for AMD, we'd still have intel i7's with 6 cores.
Good post. Those tidbits of information are propaganda at this moment in time; until everything is tested in real conditions, a handful of salt is needed.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
How? Where?

ArjenIsM3

How? Where?
From a store in Belgium, Tones.be. They had a Zotac RTX3080 Trinity OC in stock last night at 850 euro. Ordered one, got shipping confirmation this morning so should arrive tomorrow. Havent been able to use my PC in almost two months now so I'm relieved.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
From a store in Belgium, Tones.be. They had a Zotac RTX3080 Trinity OC in stock last night at 850 euro. Ordered one, got shipping confirmation this morning so should arrive tomorrow. Havent been able to use my PC in almost two months now so I'm relieved.
Wow! Good going! How the hell did they source that!?

1 per customer?

ArjenIsM3

Wow! Good going! How the hell did they source that!?

1 per customer?
They're one of two official Nvidia partners in Belgium. Luckily, they also sell to The Netherlands. Even got free shipping :lol:. Not sure about the 1 per customer bit. Don't see it on their website but most shops have that policy.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
They're one of two official Nvidia partners in Belgium. Luckily, they also sell to The Netherlands. Even got free shipping :lol:. Not sure about the 1 per customer bit. Don't see it on their website but most shops have that policy.
That's pretty cool. @Bojan11 they have 3090's if you have anyone to source it to you from Belgium, Germany, Luxemburg or Holland

ArjenIsM3

That's pretty cool. @Bojan11 they have 3090's if you have anyone to source it to you from Belgium, Germany, Luxemburg or Holland
Tbh there's 3090's available at different shops in the Netherlands regularly. They're much more easy to obtain than 3080's. Probably because they're so damn expensive.

Bojan11

I am just going to wait for Scan. Been waiting six weeks and with the delay of Cyberpunk, Xbox and PS5 coming out in next few weeks I am not in a rush. I am just deciding on what monitor to get for it. The G9 looks great, but worried about some of the manufacturing issues it has had. I am not playing musical chairs with returns. I swear someone on here said they going to buy that.

The only sad thing is Scan are getting 388 3090 models this week, which is more than 3080 yet none of them are Asus so far. So it looks like in a few weeks every other model of 3090 will be available.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Been stuck in the weirdest limbo for half a year now and I literally still don't know what to do. It's doing my head in actually. Pretty much ever since the pandemic broke out I've been meaning to buy a nice mid range (gaming) PC.

Currently all I own is two laptops with no GPU, an iPad and a PS4. Last PC build I ever did myself was an AMD X2 4200 with a 7800GT and 2GB's of RAM, that was back in 2006.

Not in the mood to actually build it myself this time since it's been so long ago. Also not in the mood to visit various shops to get the best price on every part, and then ask a friend to build it for me because of the weird pandemic situation. So I'm planning on just ordering the things online I want from the biggest and most reliable PC store in my country, have them build it for me, and pick the thing up with my car when it's ready.

The problem is though, I'm completely lost in terms of what GPU I should buy. No scenario/choice actually makes any sense at the moment. To give some examples:

I need a new case, a new PSU, a new Windows 10 license key since I have none of those things right now, and there's the fee for putting the parts together. So I was thinking I buy a nice case + at least a 650W or even a good 750W PSU because I can re-use those things in two or three years if I'd ever wanted to upgrade. But together with a Windows 10 key and assembly costs these four things will cost around 400 euro.

So I buy a B550 mobo, a 3600 ryzen,16 or 32 GB's of Ram, 1TB SSD. This is around 500-550 euro.

And then the GPU. The only game I've put serious time in over the last two years is Apex Legends, and in general I'm only interested in playing 1080p FPS type of games right now, so Apex, CoD, etc. The problem is though, I've watched a shiteload of benchmark videos. And the RTX 2060 or even the 5600xt don't run Apex Legends perfectly smooth at 144 fps on the highest settings. It seems you need at least a 2060 Super or 5700 (XT) to get it perfect on the highest settings without frames ever dropping below 144 per second. All those GPU's I mentioned also cost more than 6 months ago due to the weird shortages of the 3000 series. Normally you'd figure the 2060 or 5600 xt would drop massively in price right now since the new generation is so much faster, but they're actually 10% more expensive right now than they were 5 months ago at the store I want to buy.

So then there's the weird situation that I would spend 1300-1400 euro on a PC and can't even play the only game I like on the highest settings, despite the fact that I would probably not want to actually play it on the highest settings anyway. I could get >180FPS with a 5500 XT on low settings, but then I'd still spend 1200 euro on a PC and have to play the only game I like on low settings, that seems like a proper waste of money.

The 2060 Super goes for around 400-450 euro where I'm buying, same for the 5700XT, and they're actually still asking 600 euro for a 2070 Super, while also having pre-orders available for a 3070 for 620-680 euro. So then there's the weird situation of buying an older GPU that's nowwhere near as good as the nVidia 3000 or AMD 6000 series for nearly the same price.

There's also the fact that I'd be spending 1500 euro's on a PC then while the PS5/Xbox are probably roughly going to match the graphical performances, might as well order one of those and wait for half a year. But I want to do some video editing as well, and some other plans that are just much more suited to a PC.

I could wait until the 3000 series is readily available everywhere. But I've already been waiting for 6 fecking months and the end isn't really in sight. What's the point in waiting 9 months to get better value for money over 500 euro, maybe save 200 here or there or get 40% better perfomances for the same money. I also really don't want to wait until January or February, and there's always the possibility of the first new generation cards having some (driver) problems on top of that. Just seems like a shitty perspective to wait until the start of next year to finally get what I want, I'd rather get bad value for money right now and enjoy the lockdown to Christmas with a new PC then wait until whenever into the next year.

So yeah, I might wait one or two weeks until 18 November when AMD releases their new GPU's, maybe I can get a good deal on one, or get lucky and might be able to order a 3070, that seems like the best value for money for the long term. Or get a discount at a RTX 2060, for around 200 euro I would consider it. And I guess in hindsight I really shouldn't have waited this summer and just ordered a good Radeon 5700 (which isn't even for sale anymore right now) for 330 euro, that would've been fine until I was planning to upgrade two or three years later.

Just the amount of time thinking about this and typing it all out pisses me off and spoils the fun.

Paxi

Ryzen 5000 series CPU'S are out now.

ArjenIsM3

Right, got my Zotac RTX3080 Trinity OC installed. Finally able to use my pc again, which is nice. My 650w Seasonic can handle it playing Warzone fine, card stays at 70C max and noise levels are pretty good. Not as good as my MSI 2080 Super Gaming Trio was, but that was to be expected. Have got about 50% increase in frames in Warzone @ 1440p with max settings.

Balljy

I've just had my 3080 ftw3 ultra from Amazon despatched. It's going to be so nice moving from my temporary 1060 3GB to that. I'm a bit worried about temps as I've got a smallish case, but I'm hoping that as long as I stay away from the 450w Bios you can get for it that it'll cope.

I'm just pleased that I'll get it before Cyberpunk to be honest.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Zen3 holds up to what AMD promised. The best CPUs all around. What an incredible comeback story for AMD, after the Bulldozer disaster.. 8 years ago, also incredible :lol:

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

Look at those game benchmarks! specially the cpu intensive ones like CS:GO where ryzen has a lead of over 200 fps :lol:

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Someone is selling an RTX 3080 in Lebanon weirdly enough. One of those "shady" guys that get their goods without paying customs.
If its being sold in this shithole, supply shortages must surely be fixed by now for you guys right?

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
They've gone now
---

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/shop/geforce/gpu/?page=1&limit=9&locale=en-gb&category=GPU&gpu=RTX 3090&gpu_filter=RTX 3090~13,RTX 3080~19,RTX 3070~0,RTX 2080 Ti~0,RTX 2080 SUPER~0,RTX 2080~0,RTX 2070 SUPER~0,RTX 2070~0,RTX 2060 SUPER~0,RTX 2060~0,GTX 1660 Ti~0,GTX 1660 SUPER~0,GTX 1660~0,GTX 1650 SUPER~0,GTX 1650~0

@Bojan11
@Maxii
@Fortitude

Honestly cannot remember who wanted a 3090, but they're available if you're quick
I actually know it was Bojan but in the rush of making you lot aware my head didn't multitask very well.
I sound like Intel!

Last edited: