Gaming Building a gaming PC

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I have no idea if that's correct or not but I'll take your word on it and hunt you down when my 2nd hand 3080 dies.
That’s true. Also it should be with AIB warranty for at least another couple of years so it would get fixed or replaced if something were to happen to your GPU.

I’ll just wait until the chip shortages are a thing of the past and have my pick of the gpu’s. I’ll probably go for 3080ti.

Drawfull

Paxi

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I've got an AMD Ryzen 5600x and the motherboard I returned was a MSI B550 Tomahawk which i'll probably just reorder from Overclockers or Amazon.

It's all so disheartening though knowing the GPU situation, what GPU did you end up buying?

There are rtx 3060's in my area on Gumtree for £600 which is expensive considering its a 'lower' end card but the 3060ti and 3070's etc are around the 1k mark im not paying that and I just want it done.

I read yesterday that in a few weeks Nvidia will release the 30 series cards without the Crypto stuff attached so hopefully us gamers might stand a chance, ive set myself a deadline for the end of June if i cant get hold of one ill probably buy from a scalper.
msi gaming edge wifi is slightly better and around the same price.

Castia

msi gaming edge wifi is slightly better and around the same price.
I’ve been contemplating that board to be honest, it’s virtually the same but with the added WiFi and it’s actually a little cheaper. Will probably order that once I get my refund from Scan.

Just ordered 16gb 3600 of RGB goodness Corsair RAM! The build is slowly coming together just need my psu, SSD and the dreaded GPU which I’m hoping will see some stock rise once nvidua release the 30 series cards without the crypto mining stuff at the end of May.

Edit: just ordered a 1tb Samsung 980 pro ssd as well

Last edited:

Drawfull

I’ve been contemplating that board to be honest, it’s virtually the same but with the added WiFi and it’s actually a little cheaper. Will probably order that once I get my refund from Scan.

Just ordered 16gb 3600 of RGB goodness Corsair RAM! The build is slowly coming together just need my psu, SSD and the dreaded GPU which I’m hoping will see some stock rise once nvidua release the 30 series cards without the crypto mining stuff at the end of May.

Edit: just ordered a 1tb Samsung 980 pro ssd as well
Me as well just now: well, I got a used 500gb version off Amazon for 80eur.

Hopefully stock does improve for you with the anti mining stuff; fingers crossed!

But, I decided to stick with Intel for the board and cpu: ROG STRIX Z590E* and i5 11600K coming Sunday with the SSD. I've spent too much already, and couldn't justify almost double or more for a Ryzen CPU (per this).

*I dithered since it's got no 'short' PCI slots, but since it does have proper WiFi, I don't need to use the TP Link thing I was using and I've not used wireless Vive for a long time. Hope I don't regret it.

Also went for a ROG Thor 850P PSU, which came yesterday. They need to spend more on the bundled cables and less on the box, but it's a lovely PSU.

I probably won't change my RAM, although it's old and only 16gb. But it's 3200 DDR4 so should be ok.

Drawfull

Side note to say that the boy, in the end, is getting a pre-built system delivered from Scan tomorrow (3090, 32gb, 1tb, 2tb, 11900k), and they're also giving him all the component boxes apparently. He reckons that by the time he sells everything apart from the GPU, he'll have paid 1700 for the 3090.

Last edited:

Castia

So far my build:

Case: Lian Li Lancool 215
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
CPU Cooler: Lian Li 240mm rgb water cooler
RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB pro 16gb 3600 (arriving tomorrow)
Storage: Samsung 980 pro 1tb (arriving tomorrow)
Fans: added a couple Lian Li RGB fans to the case as well.

I still need:

PSU: will pick up a 750w Corsair psu
Motherboard: Going to order the MSI b550 gaming edge WiFi during the week once Scan send my refund.
GPU: hoping for a 3060ti or 3070 but the market resell price is ridiculous. Contemplating paying £600 for a standard rtx 3060 it will easily do until the 40 series arrives, hopefully by then the market will be in a better place and my 3060 will still have decent re-sale value.

Currently only using 1 monitor (1440p 144hz gsync) as well so I’m in the market for a second screen, not to bothered which one as long as it’s 1440p It will just be used for YouTube/Netflix and browsing.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
So far my build:

Case: Lian Li Lancool 215
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
CPU Cooler: Lian Li 240mm rgb water cooler
RAM: Corsair Vengence RGB pro 16gb 3600 (arriving tomorrow)
Storage: Samsung 980 pro 1tb (arriving tomorrow)
Fans: added a couple Lian Li RGB fans to the case as well.

I still need:

PSU: will pick up a 750w Corsair psu
Motherboard: Going to order the MSI b550 gaming edge WiFi during the week once Scan send my refund.
GPU: hoping for a 3060ti or 3070 but the market resell price is ridiculous. Contemplating paying £600 for a standard rtx 3060 it will easily do until the 40 series arrives, hopefully by then the market will be in a better place and my 3060 will still have decent re-sale value.

Currently only using 1 monitor (1440p 144hz gsync) as well so I’m in the market for a second screen, not to bothered which one as long as it’s 1440p It will just be used for YouTube/Netflix and browsing.
Make sure to clock the ram to 3800mhz and fclk to 1900mhz to get 1:1. You should get a slight bump in performance. If you get an amd 6000 series gpu you'll get a further bump in performance due to both being amd ie cpu and gpu.

3060 is shit compared to 3060 ti and 3070, if you want to upgrade soon anyways then guy a 1660 ti for the time being.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Despite the price madness going on right now, I built a PC last weekend. It's for my brother and his video editing needs, because his macbook can't keep up anymore. Buying a GPU was the expected clusterf*ck, and the premium we had to pay for a humble 3060Ti makes my head hurt. Anyway, here's the finished article:

The specs:

Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact
PSU: beQuiet! Pure Power 11 700W CM 80+ Gold
Mainboard: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge WiFi
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: 128 GB G.Skill DDR4-3200 16-18-18-38
GPU: Gainward RTX 3060Ti Ghost
SSD: Samsung PM9A1 2TB PCIe 4 (the OEM equivalent of their 980 Pro series)
CPU cooler: Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm

Bought at various shops for ~2670€ total

I had great fun planning and building the whole thing. I only nearly died when the 5950X did not slot right into the socket and i then to my horror discovered several ever so slightly bent pins... :nervous: No idea if it came out of the package like this, or if i despite my best efforts, managed to bend them when placing the CPU on the socket (or removing it from its packaging).
Anyways, some dread and sweat-filled minutes and heroic pincer-efforts later, I was able to get the bugger into the socket.
I started building around 8 pm and finished at 10.30, but i couldn't go to sleep without checking if it would come to life after that little incident. To my great relief there were no casualties. Installing windows on this thing was the fastest I've ever seen it completed. "Preparing to move files for install.."done :D
I'm a bit sad I'm not keeping it ^^

Paxi

That’s a really nice rig mate. Are doing intensive cpu work on it? 5950X is beastly obviously.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
My brother will use it for his photography/video production projects (stuff for his uni courses but also jobs for smaller companies and the likes).
But also for gaming ^^

Paxi

Can’t wait for this. I think this will appeal to so many people.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
I aborted my idea of updating my PC rig, and decided to buy a gaming laptop.

Got the Lenovo Legion 5 pro for USD $1600 (usually $1900).
  • Ryzen 7 5800H 3.2 GHz Processor (8C/16T, 4.4 GHz Boost, 20MB Cache)
  • 16" 2560x1600 IPS 165 Hz anti-glare w/ Dolby Vision Display
    • Free-Sync, G-Sync, HDR400, 500 nits, DC Dimmer
  • 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4 3200 MHz Ram
  • 1TB M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe SSD
  • RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 Graphics (max power 140W)

Finally I'll be able to play Witcher 3 in style.

Paxi

I aborted my idea of updating my PC rig, and decided to buy a gaming laptop.

Got the Lenovo Legion 5 pro for USD $1600 (usually $1900).
  • Ryzen 7 5800H 3.2 GHz Processor (8C/16T, 4.4 GHz Boost, 20MB Cache)
  • 16" 2560x1600 IPS 165 Hz anti-glare w/ Dolby Vision Display
    • Free-Sync, G-Sync, HDR400, 500 nits, DC Dimmer
  • 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4 3200 MHz Ram
  • 1TB M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe SSD
  • RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 Graphics (max power 140W)

Finally I'll be able to play Witcher 3 in style.
Very nice specs mate.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
My dad is looking for me to build a new machine for him for the new Battlefield, but feck me it's hard getting one for his budget (£800).

He's currently running a GTX 1060 with an AMD FX-8320. CPU upgrade isn't too bad (3600 for around £180), but finding a GPU and keeping him within budget is a fecking chore. I don't really want to settle for a 2060, but it looks like that'll be my best bet.

Paxi

Cheers. Can't wait to give it a test drive.

Going from a 720p monitor to that QHD+ screen gonna feel like magic (hopefully).
It’s going to be amazing. High res (comparatively) high refresh is going to be quite the upgrade.

Why haven’t you tested it out yet?

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I haven't owned a video game for 7 years. With my return, I'll be making the transition from console to PC. The reason for this post being ... I want advice on a cheap controller to use for Steam.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I haven't owned a video game for 7 years. With my return, I'll be making the transition from console to PC. The reason for this post being ... I want advice on a cheap controller to use for Steam.
XBone, PS4 and Switch Pro controllers all have native support.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Xbox One controller? Or cheaper?
XBone, PS4 and Switch Pro controllers all have native support.
I have access to a PS4 controller. The owner of the controller has used Steam in the past, and claims it only works for games which aren't PC exclusives. According to him, he could use the PS4 controller to play Brawlhalla (Steam version), but not with PC exclusives. So, you're saying this information is incorrect

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I have access to a PS4 controller. The owner of the controller has used Steam in the past, and claims it only works for games which aren't PC exclusives. According to him, he could use the PS4 controller to play Brawlhalla (Steam version), but not with PC exclusives. So, you're saying this information is incorrect
Yeah it's a load of bollocks.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
From my experience xbox controller works the best and most pc games are designed to use it.

Bosws87

You need 3rd party software for non steam games to use the ps4 pad.

It's called DS4Windows its a pretty simple setup :)

http://ds4windows.com/

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Found DS4 buggy it's not really worth the hassle. Just get an xbox controller it syncs and connects seamlessly with windows too.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Found DS4 buggy it's not really worth the hassle. Just get an xbox controller it syncs and connects seamlessly with windows too.
Xbox controller does seem the most hassle free choice but I've been using a ps4 controller without issue for ages.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Xbox controller does seem the most hassle free choice but I've been using a ps4 controller without issue for ages.
Wired or Bluetooth? Had a lot of issues with Bluetooth, also didn't like it that games used the xbox symbols (A, B, X, Y) making it easy to confuse while using the ps4 controller. But each to their own I guess.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Wired or Bluetooth? Had a lot of issues with Bluetooth, also didn't like it that games used the xbox symbols (A, B, X, Y) making it easy to confuse while using the ps4 controller. But each to their own I guess.
Wired. I only use my PS4 controller wired because of connection issues with bluetooth. Some games have started displaying the PS buttons now, I've noticed.

Dr. StrangeHate

GPUs cost atleast twice their retail price, it has been like that for a couple of years now. It's not right I tell ya, it's not right.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Xbox 360 controller is the best. Bought one years ago and still use it for PC games over the newer ones.
Xbox Controller is better though. Get one of those.
You need 3rd party software for non steam games to use the ps4 pad.

It's called DS4Windows its a pretty simple setup :)

http://ds4windows.com/
Based on the responses, I think I'll purchase a wired Xbox 360 controller. Thoroughly appreciated!

MiceOnMeth

GPUs cost atleast twice their retail price, it has been like that for a couple of years now. It's not right I tell ya, it's not right.
just bought a 3060ti for €750.. madness! oh and after installing it my pc won't turn on :rolleyes: the joys of troubleshooting this now