i7 7700k
Asus Maximus Hero IX
GeForce 1080Ti
EVGA Supernova Gold 850W
32gb GSkill Trident DDR4
512GB Samsung Evo Pro SSD
Liquid cooled
Tempered glass case

Mainly to be used for video editing, graphic designing and gaming.

Going to be an absolute beast.
Tidy. Should be a beast alright. I built one with every component just a tier below your selections and it's gobbled up everything I've thrown at it, so yours should be awesome.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Just treated myself to an upgrade...

Have been getting by with GFX upgrades every couple of years since 2011 as I have an i7 950 overclocked to 4ghz

Just bought:

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-ULTRA GAMING Socket 1151 ATX Motherboard - Bargain at £81 - and a free CPU cooler!
Intel Core I7-7700K 4.20 GHz Socket 1151 8MB Cache OEM Processor - £302 going to be a monster upgrade to my i7 950
Corsair Vengeance Blue LED 16GB DDR4 3200 Memory Kit- CMU16GX4M2C3200C16B - £166 was tempted to go up to 3466mhz but I doubt I will appreciate the difference at the minute.

So the question is... I have an EVGA 2gb GTX960 SSC which is obviously not an amazing card now. If I bought another of the same and ran it in SLI will I be getting similar performance to a new £250+ card?

botond

Have been getting by with GFX upgrades every couple of years since 2011 as I have an i7 950 overclocked to 4ghz

Just bought:

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-ULTRA GAMING Socket 1151 ATX Motherboard - Bargain at £81 - and a free CPU cooler!
Intel Core I7-7700K 4.20 GHz Socket 1151 8MB Cache OEM Processor - £302 going to be a monster upgrade to my i7 950
Corsair Vengeance Blue LED 16GB DDR4 3200 Memory Kit- CMU16GX4M2C3200C16B - £166 was tempted to go up to 3466mhz but I doubt I will appreciate the difference at the minute.

So the question is... I have an EVGA 2gb GTX960 SSC which is obviously not an amazing card now. If I bought another of the same and ran it in SLI will I be getting similar performance to a new £250+ card?
no ,get a new card . not many games scale with SLI

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

From the research i've done it's always better to get 1 powerful card over 2 less powerful, also not all games use or optimise SLI/Crossfire. If you look around or don't mind buying used you can pick up a 1070 for £250-300.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
this just showed up in my recommendation list

Didn't watch the video, but building your own gig these days is not worth it (IMO) because you can find some assemblers that sold their gigs cheaper than if you buy all the pieces separately by yourself.

just check sites like slickdeals.com on a daily basis (if you are on the look for one) and you will find much better options, whether it be laptop or desktop, for gaming or work...

Marcelinho87

Not building but possibly selling.... How much should I sell or try to get for this:

GPU: Gainward GLH GTX 1080 (excellent card, performance is great and runs cool)
Mobo: X99a MSI Sli plus
CPU: i7 5820k overclocked @ 4.4ghz
RAM: 16gb DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
HDD: 2tb Hitachi
SSD: 500gb samsung evo

Keyboard - Logitech g610 mechanical keyboard
Mouse - Logitech G402
Monitor - Crossover 27Q 1440p monitor overclocked @ 100hz

AIO cooling loop but can't remember brand/make

Feel like I am missing something, I dunno?

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Just bought:

Why didn't you go for Coffee Lake or Ryzen from AMD? I don't get what's the point in getting old Hardware, despite the price, but that's not the case with your numbers.

Anyway, congrats on your buy, it's still one hell of a system. Concerning your Graphics card, if you can wait for a few months, i'd definitely do that, because of the mining hype, prices are still too high, IMO. Otherwise have a look at eBay, some miners might think that it's not break even anymore and want to cut their losses.

BBer13

price to performance then ryzen is a great option. If i was looking into a new gpu at this stage. I would go for a mid tier nvidia offering with the idea of buying a higher tier volta card next year. This is all of course if you cant hang on with your current gpu. GPU pricing is still over inflated for fairly old hardware, personally i would save up for volta next year which will offer more performance at similar prices.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
From the research i've done it's always better to get 1 powerful card over 2 less powerful, also not all games use or optimise SLI/Crossfire. If you look around or don't mind buying used you can pick up a 1070 for £250-300.
no ,get a new card . not many games scale with SLI
Thanks I've done a bit of research and SLI performance is underwhelming. Turns out they limited the memory bandwith with the intention of clipping it's performance so 2x960's didn't outperform a single 980 for less money....... Kinda defeats the object of SLI.

Why didn't you go for Coffee Lake or Ryzen from AMD? I don't get what's the point in getting old Hardware, despite the price, but that's not the case with your numbers.

Anyway, congrats on your buy, it's still one hell of a system. Concerning your Graphics card, if you can wait for a few months, i'd definitely do that, because of the mining hype, prices are still too high, IMO. Otherwise have a look at eBay, some miners might think that it's not break even anymore and want to cut their losses.
What's the price difference on Coffee Lake and when's it expected to drop? I'm not in a huge rush to upgrade my GPU, believe it or not Gaming isn't my biggest priority. I just wanted to future proof it as much as anything.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I got an SSD today, and was wondering if there's any way to clone a hard drive while excluding some folders? The SSD I've got isn't big enough for my music and video folders as they're huge, but I'm not sure I want to reinstall Windows from fresh, it'd be nice to have the option of cloning my current drive and restoring it to the SSD while excluding my music and videos.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I got an SSD today, and was wondering if there's any way to clone a hard drive while excluding some folders? The SSD I've got isn't big enough for my music and video folders as they're huge, but I'm not sure I want to reinstall Windows from fresh, it'd be nice to have the option of cloning my current drive and restoring it to the SSD while excluding my music and videos.
Go with a fresh install on the new drive and copy the files you want across. It’s much cleaner.

why are laptops more expensive to build?
Compacting everything into that space makes cooling much harder.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Go with a fresh install on the new drive and copy the files you want across. It’s much cleaner.
That was the plan, but the thought of having to reinstall everything and copy all my Firefox/Chrome profiles etc over is making me feel worn out already :lol:

I will almost certainly end up doing that though.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
That was the plan, but the thought of having to reinstall everything and copy all my Firefox/Chrome profiles etc over is making me feel worn out already :lol:

I will almost certainly end up doing that though.
I log into my Chrome browser with my gmail account and it syncs everything automatically.

There’s tools which manage that sort of thing for you, I’m a bit weird in that I enjoy doing a fresh install and sorting all that stuff out so I never use them :nervous:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
I log into my Chrome browser with my gmail account and it syncs everything automatically.

There’s tools which manage that sort of thing for you, I’m a bit weird in that I enjoy doing a fresh install and sorting all that stuff out so I never use them :nervous:
I like the idea of starting from scratch, but I usually forget something and then realise I didn't save the information or files that I need for a certain thing :lol:

With this though I'll still have everything on my current drive so that'll be good.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I like the idea of starting from scratch, but I usually forget something and then realise I didn't save the information or files that I need for a certain thing :lol:

With this though I'll still have everything on my current drive so that'll be good.

Exactly, I’ve got 4 hard drives:

1. 250gb SSD - Current master with active Windows Installation
  2. 60gb SSD
  3. 1TB HDD - Old Master with Windows Installation from 2013ish and backup of Drive 2 Windows Installation from 2015ish
  4. 250GB HDD - Two Partitions, Ubuntu on one and a Windows 7 Build from about 2011.

I’ve got plenty of storage (2gb External for media) so I’ve got no reason to get rid of any files just yet, I’d imagine you can do similar with your current drive.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Exactly, I’ve got 4 hard drives:

1. 250gb SSD - Current master with active Windows Installation
  2. 60gb SSD
  3. 1TB HDD - Old Master with Windows Installation from 2013ish and backup of Drive 2 Windows Installation from 2015ish
  4. 250GB HDD - Two Partitions, Ubuntu on one and a Windows 7 Build from about 2011.

I’ve got plenty of storage (2gb External for media) so I’ve got no reason to get rid of any files just yet, I’d imagine you can do similar with your current drive.
Well apart from shitting myself thinking I'd deleted my Firefox profile it seemed to go well :lol:

Apparently Chrome doesn't save passwords in a way that they can be transferred, but my history and bookmarks moved ok so that's something.

It's so fast :D

I used EaseUS Todo Backup when I cloned my hard drive to my SSD
I think I'd have found cloning and all that a bit of a hassle, installing from scratch was surprisingly quick. Thanks though :)

roseguy64

Not sure the right place to ask but I have a GTX 1060 6GB graphics card. It's been working fine since I got it in like April but recently my LED TV/monitor seems stuck in standby mode. When I take it out of standby the indicator light goes off like it should but the screen remains black. Been too busy to get it fixed yet but have figured it's an issue with the bulbs as the back doesn't light up like it should also.

Started using another computer in the meanwhile but figured I'd test the VGA monitor off that PC with my PC. Forgot that it won't be able to produce an image since the graphics card as it is still installed won't allow VGA output even if there's no cable to it. Plugged out that VGA monitor and plugged it back into the other PC and now that is stuck in standby mode.

Any advice?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Not sure the right place to ask but I have a GTX 1060 6GB graphics card. It's been working fine since I got it in like April but recently my LED TV/monitor seems stuck in standby mode. When I take it out of standby the indicator light goes off like it should but the screen remains black. Been too busy to get it fixed yet but have figured it's an issue with the bulbs as the back doesn't light up like it should also.

Started using another computer in the meanwhile but figured I'd test the VGA monitor off that PC with my PC. Forgot that it won't be able to produce an image since the graphics card as it is still installed won't allow VGA output even if there's no cable to it. Plugged out that VGA monitor and plugged it back into the other PC and now that is stuck in standby mode.

Any advice?
Take out the gpu and run the monitor off the integrated graphics, if it works then you know something is wrong with your graphics card.

roseguy64

Take out the gpu and run the monitor off the integrated graphics, if it works then you know something is wrong with your graphics card.
Managed to fix the VGA monitor. Tried the LED TV with another computer and also plugged it in by itself. Definitely a problem with the lights. Gonna get a genuine monitor instead and get the TV fixed and use it as a TV/sell it.

bucky

Is there currently any justification to buy an Intel i7 7700 or 8700? Seems to me those CPUs are hardly any better than the 6700 and in general the AMD 7 Ryen 1700 seems much better in terms of price-performance ratio?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Is there currently any justification to buy an Intel i7 7700 or 8700? Seems to me those CPUs are hardly any better than the 6700 and in general the AMD 7 Ryen 1700 seems much better in terms of price-performance ratio?
I haven't looked lately at the cpu specs and prices, but what's it for? If it's just games, get a top end i5 over anything else.

bucky

I haven't looked lately at the cpu specs and prices, but what's it for? If it's just games, get a top end i5 over anything else.
Multitasking and games. I really just want to update, so it is pretty much between i7 and Ryzen for me.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Multitasking and games. I really just want to update, so it is pretty much between i7 and Ryzen for me.
Yeah I get that, believe me I've been there ;) , but why specifically? Unless it's distant future proofing or high end video editing, neither are really that worth it right now if it's just general multitasking or games. Don't get me wrong, I run an i7 myself, but that's purely because I got a great deal with a decent overclock, but even then I never use the OC and I doubt I'll need to even into the future gen of games. Sadly :(

But bare in mind that you also need to look at single core speeds and performance, as a lot of games still don't properly utilise multi-cores, at least as not as much as they should. AMD have always played on that and boasted about having loads of cores, performance and all that, but when it comes to games and general use, the i* cpus actually outperform. But like I say Ryzen might be different, I haven't looked in a while at the actual figures, but it's the same sort of thing they've always said. Also with the intel processors, some higher end models do end up looking like very slight upgrades on the much lower and cheaper models, but that's not always the case at all, all sorts of things affect performance in different ways, that's why it's important to look at what you use the computer for most.

bucky

Yeah I get that, believe me I've been there ;) , but why specifically? Unless it's distant future proofing or high end video editing, neither are really that worth it right now if it's just general multitasking or games. Don't get me wrong, I run an i7 myself, but that's purely because I got a great deal with a decent overclock, but even then I never use the OC and I doubt I'll need to even into the future gen of games. Sadly :(

But bare in mind that you also need to look at single core speeds and performance, as a lot of games still don't properly utilise multi-cores, at least as not as much as they should. AMD have always played on that and boasted about having loads of cores, performance and all that, but when it comes to games and general use, the i* cpus actually outperform. But like I say Ryzen might be different, I haven't looked in a while at the actual figures, but it's the same sort of thing they've always said. Also with the intel processors, some higher end models do end up looking like very slight upgrades on the much lower and cheaper models, but that's not always the case at all, all sorts of things affect performance in different ways, that's why it's important to look at what you use the computer for most.
Perhaps I'm a weirdo and I don't want to go from an i3 to an i5? :wenger: I don't really do graphic design, photoshop or rendering, so there isn't a necessity. I kinda want something high-end, since I've got the money, but I'm still looking for the best deal. From what I've read quite a few of those newest Intel CPUs have heating problems and don't necessarily perform any better than previous generations. I don't see any point in going for an i9 or an i7 8700, but I am wondering about the sixth and seventh generation i7 compared to the Ryzen 7. The Threadripper is also something I don't need. I guess, I am also just interested what people prefer and think. For example I didn't realise that a lot of games don't utilise multi-cores and single core speed is more important. I thought that was just a problem for something like autocad.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
The 6700, 7700 and 8700 are all 14nm processors, intel is about to release its 10nm processor lineup by march.

Generally the top end i5 is best for gaming and ryzen for multitasking. Depends on the game your playing aswell, if your playing counter strike then intel is better because its single core performance is better than amd.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Perhaps I'm a weirdo and I don't want to go from an i3 to an i5? :wenger: I don't really do graphic design, photoshop or rendering, so there isn't a necessity. I kinda want something high-end, since I've got the money, but I'm still looking for the best deal. From what I've read quite a few of those newest Intel CPUs have heating problems and don't necessarily perform any better than previous generations. I don't see any point in going for an i9 or an i7 8700, but I am wondering about the sixth and seventh generation i7 compared to the Ryzen 7. The Threadripper is also something I don't need. I guess, I am also just interested what people prefer and think. For example I didn't realise that a lot of games don't utilise multi-cores and single core speed is more important. I thought that was just a problem for something like autocad.
The prices are also high atm because of that crypto currency mining fad.

Im on the lookout to upgrade aswell but ive decided to wait a couple of months more for intels and amd's new lineup. Im still running the good old q6600 that i got in 2007 :lol:

bucky

The 6700, 7700 and 8700 are all 14nm processors, intel is about to release its 10nm processor lineup by march.

Generally the top end i5 is best for gaming and ryzen for multitasking. Depends on the game your playing aswell, if your playing counter strike then intel is better because its single core performance is better than amd.
The prices are also high atm because of that crypto currency mining fad.

Im on the lookout to upgrade aswell but ive decided to wait a couple of months more for intels and amd's new lineup. Im still running the good old q6600 that i got in 2007 :lol:
That's good to know! I can wait until March. Thank you.

BBer13

Just spent 3 hours putting together my first ever build. Though I'm waiting for the CPU and GPU to show up still.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/yVLgyf
Is there a specific reason you went for the i5? im just wondering because for that sort of money you could of got a ryzen 1700 from amazon which already has a cooler with it. AMD motherboards are a little cheaper than intels at the basic level so you could have saved yourself a little cash.

Also for that money the meshify c by fractal design maybe another good alternative to the case you chose. Not a bad build though, especially for a first timer:)

BBer13

That's a nice aio, im currently using the x62 myself and it does look really good and has some great customisation lighting modes which are nice. the problem i have with AIO's is my radiators does surprisingly gather a lot of dust which means i have to dust and clean my pc a lot more frequently but other than that there really good. The other good thing with the nzxt aio is that it allows you to control the fans you have attached to the pump via CAM software, meaning you can control speeds pretty easily.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Is there a specific reason you went for the i5? im just wondering because for that sort of money you could of got a ryzen 1700 from amazon which already has a cooler with it. AMD motherboards are a little cheaper than intels at the basic level so you could have saved yourself a little cash.

Also for that money the meshify c by fractal design maybe another good alternative to the case you chose. Not a bad build though, especially for a first timer:)
Well, against all advice and sense I picked out, bought and built this PC over a very long time so perhaps that is why, I would have maybe got an i7 instead had I not already got the mobo. Compared to what I have now, and what I'll generally be using the PC for everything I have will be more than enough for me though and still pretty high range it would seem. Money was not really an issue re AMD vs Intel and I'm very happy with the case I have too, think it looks great!

BBer13

Well, against all advice and sense I picked out, bought and built this PC over a very long time so perhaps that is why, I would have maybe got an i7 instead had I not already got the mobo. Compared to what I have now, and what I'll generally be using the PC for everything I have will be more than enough for me though and still pretty high range it would seem. Money was not really an issue re AMD vs Intel and I'm very happy with the case I have too, think it looks great!
That's cool, and AMD in the CPU market offer great value but that's probably not the only reason to go for them at the moment. There ryzen chips are competing well with intel and finally offering a viable offering for PC builders. I wrote my post without realising you bought most of the stuff, i just re-read to find that out, that's why i offered a few alternatives to maybe help. anyways the build looks nice:)

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
That's cool, and AMD in the CPU market offer great value but that's probably not the only reason to go for them at the moment. There ryzen chips are competing well with intel and finally offering a viable offering for PC builders. I wrote my post without realising you bought most of the stuff, i just re-read to find that out, that's why i offered a few alternatives to maybe help. anyways the build looks nice:)
Thanks mate. Got the GPU today, still got to wait for the CPU though. It's agony! Been waiting to build this PC for over a year!