Other Building a PC?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
So lads, a challenge for a bit of fun (just that because I’m skint).
IF you had unlimited money, build your best PC rig (list what you’d get)
Pretty much what I got. Could be improved, but it came to a point where I didn't see the point in looking for better stuff.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
What monitor do you have and what sort of games do you play?
Play almost anything, dislike fps in general (i like some) and love rpgs in general.
Have 2x Rog Swift PG279Q. Could have gone for a 4k monitor, but my plan is/was to get a 3rd monitor and I would be too annoyed by having different monitors, so 3x 4k screens isn't a viable option. :p

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Play almost anything, dislike fps in general (i like some) and love rpgs in general.
Have 2x Rog Swift PG279Q. Could have gone for a 4k monitor, but my plan is/was to get a 3rd monitor and I would be too annoyed by having different monitors, so 3x 4k screens isn't a viable option. :p
Yeah I have the PG278QR and do enjoy it, although I'm just in the process of buying a PG258Q.
Wanna see if this 240hz thing makes a difference... (I know it won't, but feck it :lol: )

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Yeah I have the PG278QR and do enjoy it, although I'm just in the process of buying a PG258Q.
Wanna see if this 240hz thing makes a difference... (I know it won't, but feck it :lol: )
Heard some say its amazing and others say they didn't notice it.
One of my monitors refuse to go to 165 and stays at 144. Not a huge deal, but it's annoying with fairly new monitors.

Let me know how you feel about 240hz!

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Heard some say its amazing and others say they didn't notice it.
One of my monitors refuse to go to 165 and stays at 144. Not a huge deal, but it's annoying with fairly new monitors.

Let me know how you feel about 240hz!
Sure thing. To be honest, I almost feel like I've never noticed the difference going from 30fps console gaming to 165hz pc gaming. But I guess it's more that I've never played on a console since, so going backwards would highlight it.
I know this'll be a stupid comment, but I assume you've ticked the overclock button on the monitor :lol:

Seriously what do you pricks do to get so much money for this stuff?
I work a basic ass job but I spent most of my years saving. I'll happily buy most things used to bring down costs and I don't treat myself that often really

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Sure thing. To be honest, I almost feel like I've never noticed the difference going from 30fps console gaming to 165hz pc gaming. But I guess it's more that I've never played on a console since, so going backwards would highlight it.
I know this'll be a stupid comment, but I assume you've ticked the overclock button on the monitor :lol:

I work a basic ass job but I spent most of my years saving. I'll happily buy most things used to bring down costs and I don't treat myself that often really
Actually... I had forgotten! :lol: I just assumed they were checked on both since one came with it activated.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Isn't being born in Norway basically the same thing?
More or less.
But the "winning the lottery by being born in Norway" only guarantees you free health-care and a education so you have a good shot at getting money and not be ruined.
Winning the lottery gives you money straight away to spend on silly things. :p

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Have you tried a 4k 144hz? Though they are crazy expensive, but that shouldn't matter to you.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Have you tried a 4k 144hz? Though they are crazy expensive, but that shouldn't matter to you.
I've never tried 4k gaming (outside of ps4 pro games on the TV), so that would be a no.
I think I might have hit a sweetspot with my 1440p monitors at 144-165hz for my eyes and general use of a pc. Have you tried 4k gaming? Did you enjoy it a lot more than 1440p?

Had some annoyances today getting my Røde Podcster to work, but I think I figured it out right before going to bed.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
4k Gaming on 27" screen would seem overkill to me.
I must admit though, I set my 27" to 1080p at although it looked ok, it did look a bit blurry compared to 1440p.
Definitely a nice sweet spot for size, clarity and performance all in one.

I'm hoping the 25" that I've just bought doesn't look a downgrade at 1080p but I'll see.

Did you actually win the lottery? :eek:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
A family member did and spread it through the family so everyone could stop worrying about affording a home. :)

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
So now you live inside a pc case!
Nice, I like it :lol:

On a more serious note, I wonder if I have any family in Norway I don't know about!

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I've never tried 4k gaming (outside of ps4 pro games on the TV), so that would be a no.
I think I might have hit a sweetspot with my 1440p monitors at 144-165hz for my eyes and general use of a pc. Have you tried 4k gaming? Did you enjoy it a lot more than 1440p?

Had some annoyances today getting my Røde Podcster to work, but I think I figured it out right before going to bed.
I bought a 4k 60hz for my PS4 Pro and my pc is also hooked upto it as my setup has both on the same desk. I must say it's stunning, I can play the older games no problem but the newer games I have to compromise with the settings.

That's why I'm looking to get get a separate high refresh rate monitor for my PC now and just use the 4k screen for the PS4.

I was looking into the ROG screen you have, looks great but is about 5 years old now, was wondering if there was a more newer model? Or any other recommendations?

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
@Ødegaard

Monitor came today - I still suck, so a waste of money really!

Nah, it actually felt a lot smoother, but that was clearly a placebo (You can tell with the mouse cursor that it's much nicer)
In game, I really can't to be honest, but I also couldn't tell going from 30 > 165
It'd be interesting to drop back and take a look.

Going from 1440p back to 1080 doesn't really stand out really, which I'm glad about, and while not gaming, I can definitely tell the difference in screen size, in game I don't.
I'll stick with it for a bit and see how it goes anyway

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
@Ødegaard

Monitor came today - I still suck, so a waste of money really!

Nah, it actually felt a lot smoother, but that was clearly a placebo (You can tell with the mouse cursor that it's much nicer)
In game, I really can't to be honest, but I also couldn't tell going from 30 > 165
It'd be interesting to drop back and take a look.

Going from 1440p back to 1080 doesn't really stand out really, which I'm glad about, and while not gaming, I can definitely tell the difference in screen size, in game I don't.
I'll stick with it for a bit and see how it goes anyway
Not everyone can see the differences, don't worry about it. My brother can't tell the difference between football on standard tv or HD, no matter how hard I try to show him :lol:

Just know that regardless of resolution or hz, as long as your actual fps is higher, you can click your mouse and keyboard and the game will pick it up faster giving you a passive enchancement over slower people. Small wins ;)

vanthaman

Winner
I woke up this morning randomly wanting to build a pc. I seem to do this every 10 years. But 6 months after it's built I'd get a blue screen of death then give up on it.

What's the general cost of building a 4k pc these days?

I still have the basics like a case (ATX - is this still used?) , mouse, keyboard, SSD etc..

So would only need - motherboard, cpu, ram, cooler, GPU and PSU right?

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I woke up this morning randomly wanting to build a pc. I seem to do this every 10 years. But 6 months after it's built I'd get a blue screen of death then give up on it.

I still have the basics like a case (ATX - is this still used?) , mouse, keyboard, SSD etc..

If you want to run 4k at the highest settings you're looking at a 2080ti which costs around £1100 at the moment, the other components are more reasonable prices but depends on the spec you want. Personally I would set aside 2k, then you also have a to get a decent monitor. So all depends on your budget really. ATX is still used.

littlepeasoup

Easily £2K+. Depending on what SSD you've got, I would look at a NVMe SSD too as a boot drive. A lot of motherboards have handy ports you can slot them into and not even notice that it's there. I'd also put a bit of money aside on getting some decent fans (obviously not knowing which ones you've already got in your case).

If you're looking at getting the best GPU out there (which you'll need to for high-end 4K), then you definitely don't want to skimp on CPU because you'd risk bottlenecking. Identify the best CPU you can afford, and the best GPU you can afford and work backwards from there, because they'll dictate a lot of the decisions you'll make going forward, like the motherboard, what wattage PSU you'll need, etc.

Also check for things like graphics card length, because you might have clearance issues, depending on the case you have and where you plan to mount fans, etc.

I personally think the sweet spot for building a cost-effective gaming PC with the current hardware out there is aiming for solid 60+fps at 1440p, which IMO still looks great. I'd much rather play at a higher framerate consistently than have the extra resolution. Gaming at 120fps is reaaaaaaaaaal nice.

vanthaman

Winner
Easily £2K+. Depending on what SSD you've got, I would look at a NVMe SSD too as a boot drive. A lot of motherboards have handy ports you can slot them into and not even notice that it's there. I'd also put a bit of money aside on getting some decent fans (obviously not knowing which ones you've already got in your case).

If you're looking at getting the best GPU out there (which you'll need to for high-end 4K), then you definitely don't want to skimp on CPU because you'd risk bottlenecking. Identify the best CPU you can afford, and the best GPU you can afford and work backwards from there, because they'll dictate a lot of the decisions you'll make going forward, like the motherboard, what wattage PSU you'll need, etc.

Also check for things like graphics card length, because you might have clearance issues, depending on the case you have and where you plan to mount fans, etc.

I personally think the sweet spot for building a cost-effective gaming PC with the current hardware out there is aiming for solid 60+fps at 1440p, which IMO still looks great. I'd much rather play at a higher framerate consistently than have the extra resolution. Gaming at 120fps is reaaaaaaaaaal nice.
Thanks for the advice. I didnt realise 4k was still so expensive so I think decent framerate at 1440p would be much more efficient for my needs.

No idea what fans I've got but they are probably just basic ones I bought 9 years ago.

The case is an antec 300 ultimate so plenty of space.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Can someone recommend some good PC cases? Hoping to nab one over black Friday. Around the 100 pounds mark ideally.

Also I want a proper mid tower and not one of those compact/micro mid towers. Tempered glass + has to look good.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Can someone recommend some good PC cases? Hoping to nab one over black Friday. Around the 100 pounds mark ideally.

Also I want a proper mid tower and not one of those compact/micro mid towers. Tempered glass + has to look good.

This is the case I have. It is, by some distance, the best PC case I've ever used. In terms of build quality, aesthetics, space and wow factor, I personally think it's unmatched.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima

This is the case I have. It is, by some distance, the best PC case I've ever used. In terms of build quality, aesthetics, space and wow factor, I personally think it's unmatched.
Thanks, will take a look. Looks wider than a normal tower.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München

Fractal Design Meshify C (I have the mini variety of it. Very good build quality and good features for cable management etc.)

If you don't like the wrinkley front - for which i got it - Fractal Design has loads of similar cases without that. ^^
Fractal Design Define S2 Vision Blackout:

Last edited:

EwanI Ted

Fractal Design Meshify C (I have the mini variety of it. Very good build quality and good features for cable management etc.)

I have another one by Fractal, the Define S, also highly recommended. Cable and drive management is excellent.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima

If you don't like the wrinkley front - for which i got it - Fractal Design has loads of similar cases without that. ^^
Fractal Design Define S2 Vision Blackout:

I was looking at the meshify C and it looks a great case but it's one of those micro towers, I have a long card and AIO so the fit would be really tight. That's why I want a normal sized one.

Nickosaur

Got some good Black Friday deals already on an RX 5700 XT, LG 27" IPS gaming monitor, 1TB NVME SSD and a case. Only problem is i have to wait until Xmas to start building.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Not a good time to build now seeing the specs of consoles about to be released. The console specs destroy every pc within the same budget. Better to wait for new gen cpu's and gpu's. Current gen will be outdated within a year or two because games will be made taking into consideration the console specifications.