Other Building a PC?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Supposedly they re likely to drop in the sub 200 range when Nvidia releases their new cards - making it an even better value. Heard drivers are still buggy on them too so probably can't hurt to wait a bit.
Hardly. Nvidia's prices will be so high (as ever) that AMDs offerings won't have to become much cheaper. Also, a real new generation of nV GPUs is 9-12 months away.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Hardly. Nvidia's prices will be so high (as ever) that AMDs offerings won't have to become much cheaper. Also, a real new generation of nV GPUs is 9-12 months away.
Which sucks. We really need a high end AMD card to compete with Nvidia, but we've been saying that for years now.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
That was the point i was making mate, everyone keeps saying 1440P 144hz is the sweet spot but to actually max out on that is just as expensive as 4k max.
But you don't actually need >=144 FPS at all times to profit from a fast monitor like the one under discussion. Due to VRR you'll always be free of screen tearing, and the response time / input lag will always be low. You'll only want to actually use the full 144 Hz refresh rate for competitive gaming in fast shooters.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Fair points. At least the driver issue is enough to keep me away from now. Hoping for a bit more variety in cards with aftermarket coolers too.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
But you don't actually need >=144 FPS at all times to profit from a fast monitor like the one under discussion. Due to VRR you'll always be free of screen tearing, and the response time / input lag will always be low. You'll only want to actually use the full 144 Hz refresh rate for competitive gaming in fast shooters.
But if you have a decent gpu you don't have to worry about all of that even on 60hz.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
You won't get more than 100FPS with that card unless you tone down the settings, although it is a very good one.

Whilst everyone says 1440p 144hz is the way to go, to actually get 140FPS at that resolution requires a very high end setup. Probably costs the same as running 4k at max.
I'll mostly be playing first person shooters and for everything else i have freesync.

Regarding the fps see the following benchmarks for csgo from linus:-

I too was surprised with 5700xt..its also cheaper than the super one's!

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I'll mostly be playing first person shooters and for everything else i have freesync.

Regarding the fps see the following benchmarks for csgo from linus:-

I too was surprised with 5700xt..its also cheaper than the super one's!
Yep, if you're only playing those types of games you are fine. I wouldn't expect anything close to that with more graphically demanding games.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
If you care about twitch shooters or comp games, fps should ALWAYS come first.

For all other games, it depends on the person. Obviously screen size and settings for looks, fps if you prefer smoothness. No matter what though, monitor refresh is always last. It's very cool running at 144hz or above, but 60hz with higher fps is better on a budget.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
Anyone do VR? Wondering if its worth taking the plunge and building a decent VR gaming machine. Or would I be better just going down the PSVR route?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Anyone do VR? Wondering if its worth taking the plunge and building a decent VR gaming machine. Or would I be better just going down the PSVR route?
VR is in the first stages. But it is seriously awesome if done right. The future is there for it, it's already more than just a gimmick.

However, there's no such thing as building a system around it. The next generation will be far more accessible. If you have the money right now, definitely go PSVR with the move and aim controllers, that's where it is at. For PC, just as normal go with your budget, whatever you buy now will run the next gen of VR.

For £400 you can also have the Occulus Quest which needs neither, but again it's first gen tech and I'm wary of it's power and future games being ported. If you have a ps4, especially pro, the psvr is the current best option in that price range imho.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
My current build going together:

Intel i9 9900K - Will be overclocked to a minimum of the turbo speed of 5ghz, but shooting for 5.2-5.4ghz
Asus ROG Maximus Hero XI
32GB DDR4 Ram
ROG Geforce GTX 1080 ti X2 in SLI mode. (I already have one and I got a second fairly cheap)
1TB WD Black M2 NVMe SSD for OS
2TB SSD for primary data
Custom Closed Loop dual tank liquid cooling system
Seasonic Flagship Prime 850W

Putting it in a large tempered glass tower case. Was going for the Thermaltake 900 tower, but there seem to be some issues with it currently.

I am hoping this build will last me a solid 4-5 years. With just some upgrade on the GPUs when the next gen come out next year. For storage I have 16TB of mirrored drives on my NAS. Primarily for the film collection.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
My current build going together:

Intel i9 9900K - Will be overclocked to a minimum of the turbo speed of 5ghz, but shooting for 5.2-5.4ghz
Asus ROG Maximus Hero XI
32GB DDR4 Ram
ROG Geforce GTX 1080 ti X2 in SLI mode. (I already have one and I got a second fairly cheap)
1TB WD Black M2 NVMe SSD for OS
2TB SSD for primary data
Custom Closed Loop dual tank liquid cooling system
Seasonic Flagship Prime 850W

Putting it in a large tempered glass tower case. Was going for the Thermaltake 900 tower, but there seem to be some issues with it currently.

I am hoping this build will last me a solid 4-5 years. With just some upgrade on the GPUs when the next gen come out next year. For storage I have 16TB of mirrored drives on my NAS. Primarily for the film collection.
Looks good. :D

My new desktop arrives tomorrow:
NZXT h700i white
Maximus Hero (wifi)
i9-9900KF + Corsair hydro h150i pro
Titan RTX + Elgato game capture HD60Pro
64GB G.skill Trident Z, 3200mhz, CL14
Kingston KC2000 2tb m.2 nvme ssd + 2x Samsung 860 Evo 2tb ssd
Going to be fun, for a while! :drool:

WensleyMU

I got a Rift S the other month and honestly, it's brilliant. It's far from perfect but that doesn't stop you enjoying it.

I also find that it's very often a great workout.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Looks good. :D

My new desktop arrives tomorrow:
NZXT h700i white
Maximus Hero (wifi)
i9-9900KF + Corsair hydro h150i pro
Titan RTX + Elgato game capture HD60Pro
64GB G.skill Trident Z, 3200mhz, CL14
Kingston KC2000 2tb m.2 nvme ssd + 2x Samsung 860 Evo 2tb ssd
Going to be fun, for a while! :drool:
Nice! Very similar build. What made you go with the KF over the K? I know the former lacks on board graphics which we don’t need anyway. Or was it a pre-build that came like that?

I can’t decide if it’s worth me springing for more RAM. 32gb feels like plenty, but for whatever reason I’m tempted to go to 64gb. Suppose I can do that later.

Redplane

Easily. Unless we go back to the days of software getting ahead of hardware development you ll probably be fine for the next 7-8 years imho.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Nice! Very similar build. What made you go with the KF over the K? I know the former lacks on board graphics which we don’t need anyway. Or was it a pre-build that came like that?

I can’t decide if it’s worth me springing for more RAM. 32gb feels like plenty, but for whatever reason I’m tempted to go to 64gb. Suppose I can do that later.
It's not worth going for more than 32gb. Doubt most need more than 16gb ram.
Went with kf over k i because its newer and is reported to potentially be slightly better for overclocking, but cost the same in the build I configured.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
It's not worth going for more than 32gb. Doubt most need more than 16gb ram.
Went with kf over k i because its newer and is reported to potentially be slightly better for overclocking, but cost the same in the build I configured.
All the KFs I’ve seen benchmarked for overclocking performed slightly poorer than the Ks funnily enough. Are you planning to overclock?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I wish I could afford all this shit. Here's me trying to figure out if I can afford the 2070 super over the 2060 super with my measly 16gb ram and 3600.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Need to make space for the speaker and hang my monitors on the wall. Other than that I could re-do some of the cabling done if I ever get to be in good form. Otherwise I'm liking it. :drool:

Redplane

Need to make space for the speaker and hang my monitors on the wall. Other than that I could re-do some of the cabling done if I ever get to be in good form. Otherwise I'm liking it. :drool:
Gtf o here with your clean build. Been building pc's since the early 90s and I just can't ever get it that clean. Probably bc I get cases that aren't the best and I keep changing shit that even if I do have my cables in order - it turns into a hot mess down the road.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Gtf o here with your clean build. Been building pc's since the early 90s and I just can't ever get it that clean. Probably bc I get cases that aren't the best and I keep changing shit that even if I do have my cables in order - it turns into a hot mess down the road.
The cpu-cooler cable should be under the upper-end of the bar. Sticks out like a sore thumb. That's really the only big issue I want to fix someday, if I can be bothered (I can't). :p
Also managed to get some smudges on the glass near the speaker, but they aren't noticable on the picture.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Great job!

What do you use the Titan for?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
So that's close to 5000€ of PC? :lol:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
80 000nok, so would equal 7150gbp
The f*ck... unless you have some solid gold hidden in there i assume PC stuff is a lot more expensive in Norway than in Euroland.
(or are you including the monitor setup etc.? My estimate was about the PC alone)

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
The f*ck... unless you have some solid gold hidden in there i assume PC stuff is a lot more expensive in Norway than in Euroland.
(or are you including the monitor setup etc.? My estimate was about the PC alone)
It's a lot more expensive in Norway, like everything is. Only thing not in the PC that was in that price was a 2xl mousepad for 300nok. :p

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
It's a lot more expensive in Norway, like everything is. Only thing not in the PC that was in that price was a 2xl mousepad for 300nok. :p
That seems almost reasonable :D

So, I assembled something similar to your build on geizhals.de for fun:

Last edited:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
That seems almost reasonable :D

So, I assembled something similar to your build on geizhals.de for fun:

It would be interesting to see the price comparison in full, just some small changes to go:
Maximus Hero (Wifi) and not maximus extreme for motherboard.
G.skill trident z 3200mhz 14cl at 64gb instead of the 3600mhz ones
Replace the ssd with 2x 860 evo 2tb ssd's and 1x kingston kc2000 2tb m.2 nvme ssd.
Add elgato game capture hd60pro.

The rest is just rgb.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
It would be interesting to see the price comparison in full, just some small changes to go:
Replace the ssd with 2x 860 evo 2tb ssd's and 1x kingston kc2000 2tb m.2 nvme ssd.

The rest is just rgb.
Will get to it shortly :)

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München

The rest is just rgb.
Here we go. The Ram is without RGB I think - the other variant is not in stock right now, and therefore tagged with overblown prices (>1000€). I think they're actually replaced by the Neo variants similar to those I had before; those would be the better deal right now.
The storage bumped the price a bit, that's some massive drive space.

Last edited:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Here we go. The Ram is without RGB I think - the other variant is not in stock right now, and therefore tagged with overblown prices (>1000€). I think they're actually replaced by the Neo variants similar to those I had before; those would be the better deal right now.
The storage bumped the price a bit, that's some massive drive space.

So over here we're still paying 1k+ more for the same. No shocker. :lol:
Guess somewhat less due to rgb version of the ram & a few fans and led strips, but it's more or less as should be performance wise. Norway in a nutshell.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
So over here we're still paying 1k+ more for the same. No shocker. :lol:
Guess somewhat less due to rgb version of the ram & a few fans and led strips, but it's more or less as should be performance wise. Norway in a nutshell.
Even more than 2k (€) difference, isn't it? Over 30% more in total, that's quite brutal.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
So lads, a challenge for a bit of fun (just that because I’m skint).
IF you had unlimited money, build your best PC rig (list what you’d get)