Bundesliga 13/14

DiaboliQue

I'm not 100% sure but profit- as well as solidarity tax should amount to something around 30% of a company's profit. If you add the dividend to the shareholders more or less € 30m of BVB's € 50m profit should have remained with the club. There are certain measures to decrease the profit tax like loss carryforwards but afaik BVB had few of those left as they decreased their debt considerably over the last decade.

Regarding their wage bill I believe you overestimate the influence of Lewandowski's increased salary on BVB's future personnel expenses. His replacement Adrian Ramos is supposed to earn € 2.8m according to BILD which is not a lot less than Lewy's € 4.5m. The remaining € 1.7m will be redistributed to Dong-Won Ji who arrives as a free-agent.

I agree with your assessment that the funds from the Uefa Champions League will give Borussia Dortmund room for proper net investments which is why € 30m seems like a realistic figure. That doesn't mean they have the money to sign players like Edin Dzeko though. His wage demands are still too high.

One thing is clear, BVB will not be able to compete with the Oligarch / Sheikh sponsored clubs abroad or the traditional giants like Real, United, Barca or Bayern when it comes to transfer fees and salaries. At least not in the next 10 years but they nevertheless grow as a business, they have to pursue their own road. The above linked report shows a record turnover of € 137m during the first half of the season due to new sponsorship deals (Turkish Airlines) and record-breaking merchandising sales. The more BVB can establish themselves in the elimination rounds of the UCL the more sponsors will be willing to invest into partnerships leading to further growth.

A stabilized turnover of € 300m would be a huge success for BVB and it's within their reach, even without increased ticket prices which could lead to disturbances within the club.
My point about Lewandowski's increased salary was in reference to your well-grounded claim that Dortmund has shown 50% less profit in the first half of this season compared to last season due to bump-pay for their key players that resigned. I just highlighted Lewandowski's salary as an example. The likes of Subotic, Pisczek and the rest have also likely received a significant pay-rise when they signed their new contracts, and that is surely the reason that Dortmunds profits have gone down by 50%. As you mentioned, the report shows a record turnover.

I agree that they cannot compete for highly-paid players like Dzeko (who's not very good anyways). However, they could and should go after the likes of Firmino to boost their ranks and replace Lewandowski. They also need a bigger squad. The injuries derailed their season because of a lack of cover in key areas.

With some smart moves, Dortmund could establish itself as one of Europe's superpowers. They will never have the financial muscle of the sheikh-backed clubs, but they play in a competitive market, have a massive stadium, and dedicated support.

Pippa

Great stop from Neuer, Mainz has had two great opportunities to score in the first 10 minutes.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Dortmund score as well, Hummels from a corner. Seems like Bayern aren't winning the title today! Ausburg go 1-0 up against Wolfsburg away.

Stuttgart 0-0 Hamburg (relegation 6 pointer).
Mainz 0-0 Bayern
Wolfsburg 0-1 Ausburg
Hannover 0-1 Dortmund
Schalke 1-0 Eintracht Braunschweig

That's the first game in ages (I think) that Bayern haven't scored in the first half?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Last time Bayern didn't score in the first half?

Dortmund v Bayern 23rd November 2013. So like 4 months! Well played Mainz, that's a minor victory in itself! :lol:

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What a solo by Lewandowski :drool:

Simply world class and nothing less.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Only just switched on the Bayern game but Mainz really seem up for it today. Then again so did Wolfsburg and when they got tired at the end it again looked like business as usual for Bayern.
Bayern were already 1-0 up though against Wolfsburg before they collapsed. Mainz have something to hold on for.

Mainz 0-0 Bayern
Wolfsburg 0-1 Ausburg
Hannover 0-2 Dortmund
Schalke 1-0 Eintracht Braunschweig

Treble

Bayern don't look great today, Ribery doesn't appear to be on form.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Schalke 2-0 up from a free kick! Huntelaar!

Mainz 0-0 Bayern
Wolfsburg 0-1 Ausburg
Hannover 0-2 Dortmund
Schalke 2-0 Eintracht Braunschweig

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Olic gets the equaliser for Wolfsburg.

Stuttgart 1-0 Hamburg (relegation 6 pointer).
Mainz 0-0 Bayern
Wolfsburg 1-1 Ausburg
Hannover 0-2 Dortmund
Schalke 2-1 Eintracht Braunschweig

Pippa

No wonder why the Europsort commentator loves Tuchel, Mainz have played the best I've seen any team play against Bayern this year IMO.

And Goetze just scores the second, great play from Ribery.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
No wonder why the Europsort commentator loves Tuchel, Mainz have played the best I've seen any team play against Bayern this year IMO.
Agreed. Mainz very unlucky there, just couldn't hold on for 5min more mins. Credit to Bayern though, they're quick to put games to bed. Second so quickly, very ruthless.

Blackwidow

And Goetze just scores the second, great play from Ribery.
Wolfsburg played great in both matches, too. Stuttgart was the same - and a couple of other teams. That is what I always try to tell. It is not that it is so easy for Bayern in the Bundesliga - even if they win at the end. It was not the first match like this - but Mainz is a team that is very tactical schooled, works as a unit and can bite - and Tuchel always has a plan or 2. Today it was in my eyes not a tactical or personal change that made the win at the end (Shaqiri's cross could have come from a lot different players and the last goal came after Mainz opened up a little) but you more and more remarked how Mainz got tired, how their offensive actions did not cause havoc anymore, how they stopped to press high - and gave Bayern more and more chances until they finally scored.

I do e.g. not know why Leverkusen and Co. play so openly when they play in Europe - they do (or did atleast not do this) in all Bundesliga matches. In the first part of the season they often played with a very tight defensive unit and a lot on the counter. Their forward unit with Sam and Kießling excels especially in this kind of matches.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
Mainz05 was much better than Wolfsburg tactically. Everybody knew Wolfsburg could not keep that tempo for 90 minutes and they collapsed far too early. Mainz05 had 45 minutes of intense pressure and two different tactical set-ups during the 2nd half. Wolfsburg on the other hand only ran excessively and was nowhere near as compact as Mainz05.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Tell you something, if Nurnberg do get relegated I really doubt they'll keep hold of Drmic. His goal was excellent, although Campaña's was probably a little bit better. Both screamers though.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Well on the basis of that game, I think Drmic is bound to get poached by a top club. His goal really was world class, the commentators were non stop talking about it. He led the line very well for Nurnberg, just not enough service and the injuries in defence are costing them big time.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Tell you something, if Nurnberg do get relegated I really doubt they'll keep hold of Drmic. His goal was excellent, although Campaña's was probably a little bit better. Both screamers though.
He supposedly has a very low release clause (€3.5m iirc) if they indeed get relegated.

Baxter

Hoffenheim 2-1 up at Leverkusen. Volland just scored a brilliant goal.

Baxter

Wow. Hoffenheim have just stolen the game. Modeste in the 89th minute after constant pressure from Leverkusen.

The Volland goal -