Bundesliga 2016/17

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
whats going on with leverkusen? mainly inconsistency?
It's just the way of Bundesliga. Leverkusen are a very good pressing team and that usually works very well against teams who want to play football, but once you're considered a top team clubs get all cynical against you and then you need a patient approach to break defenses, while at the same time the horde of pressing/transition teams love nothing more than to exploit every little mistake an attacking team makes.
So unless you're executing a dominant approach very cleanly you're fecked either way, because your choices are between engaging in a midfield battle where nuances will decide matches (=> submitting to randomness) or to try your luck in attack and offer space to teams who specialize in puninshing just that.

Leverkusen have opted to attempt the second, but couldn't pull it off (too much risk, too little penetration) and now they are in a difficult stiuation with a lot of pressure on everyone.

Gladiator

It's just the way of Bundesliga. Leverkusen are a very good pressing team and that usually works very well against teams who want to play football, but once you're considered a top team clubs get all cynical against you and then you need a patient approach to break defenses, while at the same time the horde of pressing/transition teams love nothing more than to exploit every little mistake an attacking team makes.
So unless you're executing a dominant approach very cleanly you're fecked either way, because your choices are between engaging in a midfield battle where nuances will decide matches (=> submitting to randomness) or to try your luck in attack and offer space to teams who specialize in puninshing just that.

Leverkusen have opted to attempt the second, but couldn't pull it off (too much risk, too little penetration) and now they are in a difficult stiuation with a lot of pressure on everyone.
i see thanks

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Watching Frankfurt-Frieburg . . . One of the Freiburg players throw himself onto the ground (pretending to be assaulted as he knows the referees are awful), rolls around on the ground, delays play for 3 minutes, . . . and then gets up and carries on when he realised he's not getting his sending off.

WTF?

Chekhov

Supports
A wife and three kids
It's official. Roger Schmidt has been sacked.

After his baffling team selection yesterday (Chicharito, Bellarabi, and Brandt on the bench against Dortmund :houllier:), and then his equally baffling comments afterward ("it was a step in the right direction"), everyone could see this coming.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
2-1 Freiburg.

Offside - so naturally that's a legitimate goal in Germany.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
@RW2

I must be psychcic since I somehow knew you'd grace us with multiple ref complaints today. Poor Frankfurt, always the victim :(

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
@RW2

I must be psychcic since I somehow knew you'd grace us with multiple ref complains today. Poor Frankfurt, always the victim :(
Second week in a row Frankfurt have conceded a goal which was offside and allowed to stand. Both goals gave the opposition the lead.

Hertha last week, Freiburg this week.

Just stating what has happened. That's all.

Very disappointed that Frankfurt haven't been reduced to ten men yet. . . Plenty of time left yet though.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It's official. Roger Schmidt has been sacked.

After his baffling team selection yesterday (Chicharito, Bellarabi, and Brandt on the bench against Dortmund :houllier:), and then his equally baffling comments afterward ("it was a step in the right direction"), everyone could see this coming.
Everything that happened since the final whistle seems like such a huge farce right now.
From Schmidt shaking hands with the entire bench after the match.
To Schmidt's "step in the right direction" and believe even an answer at the presser that implied some long term planning on his part.
Then they let him do the training session like nothing happened while they meet in the BayArena of all places and tell the press that they are disucssing his future but with an entirely open mind in every direction :lol:

In hindsight it seems obvious now that he knew he needed a result against Dortmund to save his job, hence I think his line up was either a desperate final attempt or a big feck you towards the players he felt let down by.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Second week in a row Frankfurt have conceded a goal which was offside and allowed to stand. Both goals gave the opposition the lead.

Hertha last week, Freiburg this week.

Just stating what has happened. That's all.

Very disappointed that Frankfurt haven't been reduced to ten men yet. . . Plenty of time left yet though.
Oh please, you seem to be one of those guys who gets super upset whenever a 50/50 call goes against his team yet doesn't appear to register all the times his club got lucky.

See your persistent whining about all the red cards, when the best neutral indicator we have (http://www.wahretabelle.de/statistik/antifairplay) suggests that Frankfurt have actually been quite lucky in that regard.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Oh please, you seem to be one of those guys who gets super upset whenever a 50/50 call goes against his team yet doesn't appear to register all the times his club got lucky.

See your persistent whining about all the red cards, when the best neutral indicator we have (http://www.wahretabelle.de/statistik/antifairplay) suggests that Frankfurt have actually been quite lucky in that regard.
I don't accept that real table website thing. It doesn't take into account red cards (which obviously change the direction of matches), and Frankfurt have had about 8 reds this season.

Disallowed goal to go 2-1 up. Referee felt that Gacinovic was impeding the GK.
Fine, I can accept that.
Second half, and Hector is going towards goal (from a corner) and is impeded by a Freiburg defender. . . Free out.
It's gone beyond a joke.

Ref, Gunter Perl, is also fat . . . carrying a spare tire with him.

Not only are the decisions poor and the referees awful, but they're also unfit.

Away to Bayern next week. . . .DFL should put the Milky Bar Kid (Dingert) in charge of that one. . . Huuuugggeeee Bayern fan. ;)

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Everything that happened since the final whistle seems like such a huge farce right now.
To Schmidt's "step in the right direction" and believe even an answer at the presser that implied some long term planning on his part.
Then they let him do the training session like nothing happened while they meet in the BayArena of all places and tell the press that they are disucssing his future but with an entirely open mind in every direction :lol:

In hindsight it seems obvious now that he knew he needed a result against Dortmund to save his job, hence I think his line up was either a desperate final attempt or a big feck you towards the players he felt let down by.
they had to sack him. He just refused to adapt one bit and always played this suicidal pressing. That was okay for the first season, but he had to teach his team a slightly more balanced approach.
They should do a lot better with all the talent in their squad.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
they had to sack him. He just refused to adapt one bit and always played this suicidal pressing. That was okay for the first season, but he had to teach his team a slightly more balanced approach.
I'm not saying they should not have sacked him. They clearly had persistent problems which Schmidt apparently couldn't fix. What I found curious was how long they dragged the story out after the final whistle against Dortmund.
Especially that "debate" regarding Schmidt's future today.. like anyone with a brain would be so obvious if there was still the tiniest chance of keeping him.

Last edited:

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
I don't accept that real table website thing. It doesn't take into account red cards (which obviously change the direction of matches), and Frankfurt have had about 8 reds this season.
That's because you play like a bunch of woodcutters, chopping everyone moving object down.
Agree on the wahretabelle point tho, it's crap.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I'm not saying they should not have sacked him. They clearly had persistent problem which Schmidt apparently couldn't fix. What I found curious was how long they dragged the story out after the final whistle against Dortmund.
Especially that "debate" Schmidt's future today.. like anyone with a brain would be so obvious if there was still the tiniest chance of keeping him.
thats true. Völler is a bit of an idiot himself.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
That's because you play like a bunch of woodcutters, chopping everyone moving object down.
Agree on the wahretabelle point tho, it's crap.
Obviously you must watch different games to me because Frankfurt are in no way a dirty team.. . . . Does the "woodcutting" explain the opposition getting free goals from the match officials?

Chekhov

Supports
A wife and three kids

In his final pre-match press conference, he did say something about playing only those players who are willing to give it their all, or words to that effect.

But that would be odd considering that no one that I know of has ever accused Hernandez and Bellarabi (or Brandt for that matter) of slacking off.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Obviously you must watch different games to me because Frankfurt are in no way a dirty team.. . . . Does the "woodcutting" explain the opposition getting free goals from the match officials?
I didn't say you were dirty, I'd more describe it as physical. But the team that is 4th in commited fouls and leads the league in yellow cards shouldn't complain about having the most sending offs so far (6 btw not 8).

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
In his final pre-match press conference, he did say something about playing only those players who are willing to give it their all, or words to that effect.

But that would be odd considering that no one that I know of has ever accused Hernandez and Bellarabi (or Brandt for that matter) of slacking off.
We may not have been given many hints in that regard but if a coach goes into his (most likely) last match for the club and axes a couple of supposed or actual star players and publicly labels them as having a weak mentallity then obviously some things must have happened.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit tbh, Bellarabi especially seems to have some problems with his temper and maybe he didn't take it too well that Leverkusen turned down Dortmund's offer for him and he's been hit and miss since he came back from his injury.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
They should actually be a good possession based team, able to break down teams with excellent passing, wide play and set pieces. One could certainly argue their squad is much better suited to that style of play than the all-out pressure.

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
Massive win for us. Hertha look terrible.

Wood is a special player. Unbelievable work ethic before the goal once again, I can see him playing for one of the big clubs in the future.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Ref, Gunter Perl, is also fat . . . carrying a spare tire with him.

Not only are the decisions poor and the referees awful, but they're also unfit.

Away to Bayern next week. . . .DFL should put the Milky Bar Kid (Dingert) in charge of that one. . . Huuuugggeeee Bayern fan. ;)
Since you seem to rant everytime Frankfurt doesn't win I cannot wait for their next game at Bayern.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Since you seem to rant everytime Frankfurt doesn't win I cannot wait for their next game at Bayern.
Well, like a lot of fans of lower down the BL, I expect Eintracht to compete but get beaten next week. No shame in that as everyone loses in Munich.

The mandatory Bayern penalty though, provided by the star struck ref, is entirely an expectation.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Well, like a lot of fans of lower down the BL, I expect Eintracht to compete but get beaten next week. No shame in that as everyone loses in Munich.

The mandatory Bayern penalty though, provided by the star struck ref, is entirely an expectation.
Do you ever make a post without moaning about referees? Pathetic.

Blackwidow

You mean the referees are so star struck that even if that star players spend so much time in the opponent's box they just got 3 penalties this season (10 weren't given when you believe "http://wahretabelle.de" - but you do not as you do not believe in facts...) whereas Frankfurt already has been given 4 (only 4 not given whereas one of the penalties was wrongly given?).

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Tayfun Korkut is Bayer's new coach, with a contract until the end of the season. His ppg for Hannover and Kaiserslautern look pretty abyssmal, so if this doesn't work out so well I could see Völler taking a lot of heat.

They should actually be a good possession based team, able to break down teams with excellent passing, wide play and set pieces. One could certainly argue their squad is much better suited to that style of play than the all-out pressure.
Tbh I completely disagree, Bellarabi is the only midfielder/attacker of their who has possession/positional football written all over him.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Your game at the allianz against atletico was unbelievable. One of the greatest performances of the last decade
I had never seen a famous defence like Atletico (or last decade Chelsea or Jose's Inter or partly 2008 United) ripped apart so easily, by the same kind of high pressure and quick tempo that Barca used yesterday - unlike Barca, with Bayern's height, they were making many chances too. It was a great opening, and very anti-Guardiola in terms of possession and long balls.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Brandt with an amazing strike. Unlucky not to score.
Volland scores. 1-0 to Neverkusen.

Last edited:

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Do you ever make a post without moaning about referees? Pathetic.
It's not moaning.

The DFB/Bundesliga have a very serious problem with the poor standard of refereeing in its league where prominent teams are given very favourable decisions by poor referees.

We all saw Ayetkin in Barcelona this week. That's not a one off in Germany.
That's every week.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Ahh finally the weekend has arrived and of course so has RW2 and his ref complaints. Don't new members have a daily post limits? Maybe you should save some of those so you can document the countless atrocities that will no doubt be committed against poor Eintracht again today. :angel: