Bundesliga 2018/19

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The thought crossed my mind if he's injured or 'injured'. I'm almost certain he won't stay beyond his loan under Kovac, unilateral buy option for us or no.
I know it's hard to imagine right now, but what if Müller hits a rough patch or age finally catches up with Ribery or (I'm going out on a limb here) he slaps a journalist and has to be suspended? Then Bayern would really miss James, even in terms of just filling the squad. Some knee injury is not something you suddenly recover from. I think the go to "injury" would be some inflammation that can last indefinitely or be gone on short notice.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I'm not saying we wouldn't miss him, we miss him right now while he's sitting on the bench. I'm saying he wants out of this circus.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'm not saying we wouldn't miss him, we miss him right now while he's sitting on the bench. I'm saying he wants out of this circus.
I didn't take it as such. I thought you meant "injured" as a way of masking a suspension or complete falling out with Kovac. These days Kovac could be gone any week, so I doubt that either Bayern or James himself would use such a permanent cover.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I thought you meant "injured" as a way of masking a suspension or complete falling out with Kovac. These days Kovac could be gone any week, so I doubt that either Bayern or James himself would use such a permanent cover.
Yeah that's what I meant (before reading it was a knee injury), and I agree with the rest.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
I know it's hard to imagine right now, but what if Müller hits a rough patch or age finally catches up with Ribery or (I'm going out on a limb here) he slaps a journalist and has to be suspended? Then Bayern would really miss James, even in terms of just filling the squad. Some knee injury is not something you suddenly recover from. I think the go to "injury" would be some inflammation that can last indefinitely or be gone on short notice.
German media is still talking about "bad form", "rough patch" when discussing Muller. How long does a player have to be so far away from his younger self until his current state his considered his true level as of now?

The same in the summer, where Ozil was the scapegoat and the media didn't dare to put the blame on Muller.

vangagal

I amazed that Muller is so bulletproof from any sort of criticism regarding his form which deserved to be put in question for about good few years.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I amazed that Muller is so bulletproof from any sort of criticism regarding his form which deserved to be put in question for about good few years.
In Müller's particular case it's that he still produces decent numbers and he never was a flashy player to begin with. He's also a fan favourite for both Germany and Bayern.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Doesn't Zidane speak neither German nor English? He would only be able to talk to a quarter of the squad.
Probably decide on him early sign and he gets to learn German till next summer when he will be unveiled

Jardim will also be interesting

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
I'm not denying that Frankfurt have played a very good season thus far (and so have other clubs). But to elevate their attackers to world class level seems silly to me - given their recent opposition this could be the climax of their season.
The person elevating Frankfurt strikers to the values mentioned is Karlheinz Förster, a current agent and former German international.

I'm just passing on his comment whilst you're conveniently targeting me.

You stated that Frankfurt were only marginally above Hoffenheim "FFS" [your words] whilst dismissing Frankfurt's 3-0 victory over Schalke (last season's runner up who are one win away from the last 16 of the CL). Notably also a 4-1 win over Lazio (currently 4th in Serie A) and a 2-1 away win in Marseilles (last seasons Europa League runner up) seemed to have escaped your attention amidst other victories.

I referred clearly to Frankfurt's performances since September 30th when Hutter has predominantly played the three strikers. Before Sept 30th only Haller featured regularly in the starting line up as prior to that Rebic was injured and Jovic had not made his breakthrough. Since Sept 30th (matchday 6) EF have been the best team in the Bundesliga but, of course, the league didn't start then. . . hence their position in fourth. . . .

But hey, they're shite, because they're only marginally above Bayern Munich. . . . I suppose you have a point after all.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
I never rated Lukaku but he has done far more than all three mentioned. Anyway, single over expensive transfers shouldn't be the benchmark for evaluations. Jovic is a good talent but has basically played 3 months of professional football in a top league. Rebic, well, Frankfurt already whored him out to literally everyone who wanted to listen in the summer after his value was at his highest after the WC and yet the only offer they got was 25m€ from Sevilla, I'd say Frankfurt is his level. Haller is decent but I doubt he's gonna improve a lot.
On Rebic Frankfurt never whored him out to anyone as they wanted him to stay.

Kovac wanted to bring Rebic to Bayern but the people who really run Bayern wouldn't let him [this was reported by BILD recently].

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The person elevating Frankfurt strikers to the values mentioned is Karlheinz Förster, a current agent and former German international.

I'm just passing on his comment whilst you're conveniently targeting me.
So it was Förster who said "Personally I think he's undervaluing those players" about his own valuation? There are so many former players out there you can get supporting quote for every opionion out there.

You stated that Frankfurt were only marginally above Hoffenheim "FFS" [your words] whilst dismissing Frankfurt's 3-0 victory over Schalke (last season's runner up who are one win away from the last 16 of the CL). Notably also a 4-1 win over Lazio (currently 4th in Serie A) and a 2-1 away win in Marseilles (last seasons Europa League runner up) seemed to have escaped your attention amidst other victories.

I referred clearly to Frankfurt's performances since September 30th when Hutter has predominantly played the three strikers. Before Sept 30th only Haller featured regularly in the starting line up as prior to that Rebic was injured and Jovic had not made his breakthrough. Since Sept 30th (matchday 6) EF have been the best team in the Bundesliga but, of course, the league didn't start then. . . hence their position in fourth. . . .

But hey, they're shite, because they're only marginally above Bayern Munich. . . . I suppose you have a point after all.
First of all I've seen both matches against Hoffenheim and Schalke. Which is why I know that Hoffenheim hit the woodwork twice, before one of their players set up Frankfurt's goal by playing a throw-in directly at an opponent.
The way you're trying to sugar coat Schalke's shit show of a season kind of tells it all. They are fighting relegation this season, who cares where they finished last? And the match against them was dead even for 60 minutes before Embolo was too naive to accept a penalty offer and Frankfurt went up 1-0 in return, then Schalke fell apart.
Against Lazio Frankfurt scored a corner in the fourth minute and Lazio got two players sent-off before the hour mark, not exactly your usual course of a game.

That being said, everone needs a bit of luck to win and Frankfurt's run is impressive regardless of that (as is their striker trio for a club their size), but at the moment they have the necessary luck at the right moments (Hoffenheim double woodwork, Schalke not taking the penalty, Lazio getting two people sent-off, etc) as well as a kind string of fixtures in Bundesliga and chances are that it won't be like that forever. Last season Frankfurt was fourth as well, even half a year further into the season than now and in the end they finished 8th.

I'm not saying Sancho is the best winger in the world or Paco the best striker in the world either, despite their goal or assist per minute stats "proving" that and them having good games against "last year's champion and CL almost finalist" Bayern. In the end no one cares whether someone had a good month or two, it's the bigger picture at the end of season that counts.

Last edited:

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
So it was Förster who said "Personally I think he's undervaluing those players" about his own valuation? There are so many former players out there you can get supporting quote for every opionion out there.
I am allowed add my own opinion. The original valuations were not from me but with someone very close to German football

First of all I've seen both matches against Hoffenheim and Schalke. Which is why I know that Hoffenheim hit the woodwork twice, before one of their players set up Frankfurt's goal by playing a throw-in directly at an opponent.
The way you're trying to sugar coat Schalke's shit show of a season kind of tells it all. They are fighting relegation this season, who cares where they finished last? And the match against them was dead even for 60 minutes before Embolo was too naive to accept a penalty offer and Frankfurt went up 1-0 in return, then Schalke fell apart.
Against Lazio Frankfurt scored a corner in the fourth minute and Lazio got two players sent-off before the hour mark, not exactly your usual course of a game.
So what's your point?

Opposition had chances, hit the post, had players sent off . . . Therefore this negates Frankfurt's victory/performance.

That's facile.

I'm not sugarcoating Schalke's season. They've had a terrible Bundesliga season but they have more points in the Champions League than Tottenham, Liverpool, PSG, Man Utd, . . . So what if the match was dead against them for 60 minutes because the match is 90+ minutes long.

That being said, everone needs a bit of luck to win and Frankfurt's run is impressive regardless of that, but at the moment they have the necessary luck at the right moments (Hoffenheim double woodwork, Schalke not taking the penalty, Lazio getting two people sent-off, etc) as well as a kind string of fixtures in Bundesliga and chances are that it won't be like that forever. Last season Frankfurt was fourth as well, even half a year further into the season than now and in the end they finished 8th.
I'm at a loss here but since when are two victories over teams that have qualified for the Champions League considered part of a set of "kind" fixtures - especially when both matches came approximately 60 hours after Europa League matches.

You make your own luck. . . . I suppose Frankfurt were "lucky" that Oliver Baumann came rushing off his line in the match against Hoffenheim to concede the first goal? This was, of course, the match where Ante Rebic was sent off for next to nothing but, as usual, you're very selective in the "luck" that you choose to cite.

Anyway I'm not sure which I'm enjoying more this season - the ongoing shit show at Bayern or Eintracht's impressive run of form?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
My point is that Frankfurt are having a purple patch at the moment, which in all likelyhood they won't be able to keep up and that it is silly to pick this point to evaluate their players.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
My point is that Frankfurt are having a purple patch at the moment, which in all likelyhood they won't be able to keep up and that it is silly to pick this point to evaluate their players.
That's a fair point.

Of course they won't keep it up because it is next to impossible to keep up the run of form Frankfurt have had.

So if they lose their next match at Augsburg. . . Relax and put the Kleenex away.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
In a shocking twist of epic proportions, we decided to activate the buy clause of Paco Alcacers loan deal today. Barcelona was appearantly keen to finalize the deal before the Winter window, even shavin off 2 Mil. € from the original 23 Mil. € price tag. All in all a fantastic deal by our DoF Zorc, his finest of the window allongside the Witsel deal. Really shows how much one good window can accomplish in modern football.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Congrats on your new player. ;)
Bayern also signed a new face: Alphonso Davies (Canadian born to Liberian parents in Ghana, or some other permutation of those three :D)

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Must ask this every week but why is the constantly hyped Leon Bailey on the Leverkusen bench again?

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Must ask this every week but why is the constantly hyped Leon Bailey on the Leverkusen bench again?
He just isn't very good. Don't believe the hype, watch the games instead:D

His current performance level is woeful, but even his potential is not that great. Leverkusen alone has several players with much higher potential while there are like a dozen talents in the league with more talent than him.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He just isn't very good. Don't believe the hype, watch the games instead:D

His current performance level is woeful, but even his potential is not that great. Leverkusen alone has several players with much higher potential while there are like a dozen talents in the league with more talent than him.
That's the thing I do. :lol: Always enjoy a Leverkusen game as lots of goals for a neutral.

I was just surprised when he strung together a few good games middle of last season he was getting linked to moves to likes of Chelsea so was just wondering why he wasn't even starting for them now.

James Peril

3-1 up to Düsseldorf and it ends 3-3. Amazing! What the hell has happened to the top teams, this is unheard of. Kovac is so done it’s amazing, it’s like no big club saw what happened with Moyes at United.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Paco is now one goal away from equalizing the all time record for substitute goals, after 13 match days. Which is nine, the same as a point difference between Dortmund and Bayern. Coincidence?

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
That's ten wins and one draw from Eintracht's last 11 matches (Bundesliga & Europa League) with Sebastian Haller scoring for the seventh match in a row.
Luca who?

Truly fantastic.

And just when I thought the day couldn't get any better. . . . . I hear about Dusseldorf's equaliser in Munich.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Damn, that was a close one. Mainz deserved a draw here, eventhough their goal resulted from a lucky deflection. That is the story of our season so far, though. We have won nearly all close fixtures so far. Little domination, but a lot of heart, moral and the leagues strongest bench.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
That's ten wins and one draw from Eintracht's last 11 matches (Bundesliga & Europa League) with Sebastian Haller scoring for the seventh match in a row.
Luca who?

Truly fantastic.

And just when I thought the day couldn't get any better. . . . . I hear about Dusseldorf's equaliser in Munich.
Says alot about Kovac that the team he left is well outperforming the team he now manages right? Want him back? :D