g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Bundesliga 2018/19

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Watched Dortmund. Not really a great game. Dortmund were lucky to win in the end because Wolfsburg just needed more belief in themselves to equalize.

Who cares though, as Bayern drew :D

schwalbe

Supports
Fc Bayern München
We really really could have needed fresh blood in offense, management fecked up big time there but that was obvious from the beginning. Pavard would have also been nice, but Süle, Martinez, Boateng and Hummels are still decent options for the CB position.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Beautiful.

Now Dortmund-Bayern next week and Dortmund could be 7 points ahead of them.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Sorry Lisa. . . . But your husband is now shite.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Watched Dortmund. Not really a great game. Dortmund were lucky to win in the end because Wolfsburg just needed more belief in themselves to equalize.

Who cares though, as Bayern drew :D
I don't think it was a bad game by Dortmund. Not exactly breath taking stuff, but it was a decent game in typical Favre style, both happy to soak up pressure and play for counter attacks or dominate possession in the opponents half. The problem was - again - Dortmund's chance conversion, they had a couple of good counter attacks they really should have converted in the second half. With the ruthlessness of previous weeks it probably would've been some silly 4-0 with a substitute hattrick.
Wolfsburg spend a lot of time in Dortmund's half, but I don't think they had clear goal scoring chances. That being said they probably should've gotten a penalty for Zagadou's shirt pulling.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Sorry Lisa. . . . But your husband is now shite.

It has already been picked up by Sky.

popcorn.gif

Apparently Neuer has not saved a ball in 7 hours. Such a weird stat.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Phew, really lucky win this one. The youth and the accompanied inexpierence of the squad showed in this game. Larsen missing another sitter and playing a very dangerous back pass that could have costes us dearly, Hakimi nearly running into a team mate again. Zagadou needs to adjust his play style a bit to suit the refereeing of the league. He needs to keep his hands off the opponent player as the German refs are really sensitive in that regard. We could not have complained about another pen against us today. It was not clear cut IMO, but the pen would not have been a wrong call either.

On the other hand the work ethic shown by the younglings, especially the offense talents was very admirable.

In the end, the team was held together by the midfield: Witsel rock solid as usual and Delaney with a very good game. Reus was simply everywhere, scoring the deciding goal, clearing with headers in his own box and winning a couple of very crucial duels. It is amazing how much the badge has boosted him. He was always a scary scoring machine but now he has evolved into a very wellrounded offensive lead player.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Phew, really lucky win this one. The youth and the accompanied inexpierence of the squad showed in this game. Larsen missing another sitter and playing a very dangerous back pass that could have costes us dearly, Hakimi nearly running into a team mate again. Zagadou needs to adjust his play style a bit to suit the refereeing of the league. He needs to keep his hands off the opponent player as the German refs are really sensitive in that regard. We could not have complained about another pen against us today. It was not clear cut IMO, but the pen would not have been a wrong call either.

On the other hand the work ethic shown by the younglings, especially the offense talents was very admirable.

In the end, the team was held together by the midfield: Witsel rock solid as usual and Delaney with a very good game. Reus was simply everywhere, scoring the deciding goal, clearing with headers in his own box and winning a couple of very crucial duels. It is amazing how much the badge has boosted him. He was always a scary scoring machine but now he has evolved into a very wellrounded offensive lead player.
He pulled his opponent's shirt while he was jumping up for a cross, thus messing up his timing and balance for the following header. Without VAR it would've been a clever foul as no ref sees/punishes that in real time, but I don't see how you can not award a penalty with VAR.
It also weren't just the kids who messed up, Reus - as important as his contribution today has been - also messed up a 2.5 vs 1 counter attack with a horrible pass that was both intercepted by the sole defender and offside. Maybe the team is just a bit tired or the pressure of the title race is getting to them.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Neuer has been really poor this season. His decline has started, it seems.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
:lol:
The press immediately told Kovac about it after the match. 'What do you have to say about that?' - 'Nothing.' :lol:
Thomas Müller: 'I heard of it now, I'm not too happy about it. But what can I do, she loves me.' :lol:

We may be shit on the pitch, but the comedy is good.

Peter Silie

Supports
BVB
You should have seen the pen for Schalke. With VAR. It's a joke.
Yeah I actually recommend looking it up, it's one of the worst decisions I have seen. How can this be possible WITH a reviewing system?

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Yeah I actually recommend looking it up, it's one of the worst decisions I have seen. How can this be possible WITH a reviewing system?

There can be no hiding place for match officials for a decision like that.

Two decisions were made here which were just plain wrong. The decision by VAR to tell the referee to have a look, and the subsequent decision by the referee to give the penalty. Both of which were wrong.

VAR has done a great job in ensuring that correct decisions are given.
I cannot see how any referee could consider that a Schalke penalty yesterday.

Last edited:

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
So, what do you guys think: Heynckes once again coming to the rescue?

But Dortmund seems too focused/strong this season, they are gonna win die liga :drool:

Last edited:

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
So, what do you guys think: Heynckes once again coming to the rescue?

But Dortmund seems to focused/strong this season, they are gonna win die liga :drool:
When Bayern loses against Dortmund, Kovac is most probably done.

If they want a care taker, Arsene Wenger is the best bet. He can speak German and there has always been mutual respect between him and the Bayern bosses.

If they want a longer solution, Ralph Hasenhuttl is really the only option available on the market. Normally I would say he has no chance to be considered, but his case is interesting. He declined the chance to work at Leverkusen, which is the 4th best job in Bundesliga. You only do that if you have your eyes set on one of the jobs at Bayern, Dortmund or Schalke. Dortmund is not gonna happen and Schalke is probably the club which fits his standing the most, but if it isn‘t Schalke he is getting signals from, then him going to Bayern is not totally outlandish.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
@Don Alfredo, @Casanova85

If Kovac gets sacked this early it's because he doesn't command enough respect and his philosophy is not dominant enough. I don't see how it would be any different for Hasenhüttl, who would be just more of the same and doesn't even have Kovac's playing career and Bayern past to give him a little head start.
If media reports are to be believed Heynckes could've kept his job if he wanted to. But he didn't. And I think it would be a bit tricky for Bayern's bosses to beg him out of retirement for a second time, weeks after their cringy press conference. Then again revealing themselves as hypocrites was rarely an obstacle for KHR and UH.

RedDevilRoshi

This could be the most exciting Bundesliga season for a while as Bayern have been very inconsistent and Dortmund look like they are building their next great side.

Next Saturday’s Der Klassiker is going to be a good watch.

When Bayern loses against Dortmund, Kovac is most probably done.

If they want a care taker, Arsene Wenger is the best bet. He can speak German and there has always been mutual respect between him and the Bayern bosses.

If they want a longer solution, Ralph Hasenhuttl is really the only option available on the market. Normally I would say he has no chance to be considered, but his case is interesting. He declined the chance to work at Leverkusen, which is the 4th best job in Bundesliga. You only do that if you have your eyes set on one of the jobs at Bayern, Dortmund or Schalke. Dortmund is not gonna happen and Schalke is probably the club which fits his standing the most, but if it isn‘t Schalke he is getting signals from, then him going to Bayern is not totally outlandish.
When do they play?

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Will certainly watch Dortmund v Bayern next Saturday as has all the makings of a great match.

If Bayern lose I still think Kovac will make it to Christmas with Wenger taking over from January until the end of the season.

Bayern's last match before the Christmas break is away at Eintracht Frankfurt. It would be terribly ironic if that were his last match in charge of Bayern.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Gonna be a fun game. It could be the nail in the coffin for Bayern.
7 points in November don't end the title race. Maybe if it was a Guardiola team in the lead, but Dortmund with their young squad don't have that machine-like consistency and Bayern can always potentially turn things around quickly with the sacking of Kovac - they still have a very good and experienced squad after all.

edit:
https://fcbayern.com/de/news/2018/11/lisa-mueller-entschuldigt-sich-bei-niko-kovac?shortURL=MvQ6M

"Lisa Müller, wife of Thomas Müller, approached coach Niko Kovac right after final whistle of the Freiburg match while still in the Allianz Arena, to apologize for her Instragram-Post regarding the substitution of Thomas Müller (71st minute).
Kovac accepted the apology"

couldn't make this up :lol:

Last edited:

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
edit:
https://fcbayern.com/de/news/2018/11/lisa-mueller-entschuldigt-sich-bei-niko-kovac?shortURL=MvQ6M

"Lisa Müller, wife of Thomas Müller, approached coach Niko Kovac right after final whistle of the Freiburg match while still in the Allianz Arena, to apologize for her Instragram-Post regarding the substitution of Thomas Müller (71st minute).

She has also unfollowed him (Thomas Müller) on Instagram......Kindergarten from the Müller's and Bayern Munich.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
edit:

Why the feck is the Bayern official website making a news article about that :lol:

Another VAR blunder today with the Gladbach penalty, how in the world is it a handball with the defender less than 2 feet away from the striker and his arm next to his body. After the one yesterday in the Schalke match, it really seems as if the VAR referee is very reluctant to overturn a refereeing decision unless there is 100% proof that the decision was wrong. A minute touch, as in the penalty yesterday, or the ball hitting the hand no matter how far the defender yes, seems enough for the VAR decision to stand. There doesn't seem to be any independent thinking from the VAR referee.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
7 points in November don't end the title race. Maybe if it was a Guardiola team in the lead, but Dortmund with their young squad don't have that machine-like consistency and Bayern can always potentially turn things around quickly with the sacking of Kovac - they still have a very good and experienced squad after all.

edit:

I meant the nail in the coffin for Kovac.
Meanwhile, how many goals&assist has had Hazard this season? He is having a great time at Gladbach.

RW2

Supports
Eintracht Frankfurt
Why the feck is the Bayern official website making a news article about that :lol:

Another VAR blunder today with the Gladbach penalty, how in the world is it a handball with the defender less than 2 feet away from the striker and his arm next to his body. After the one yesterday in the Schalke match, it really seems as if the VAR referee is very reluctant to overturn a refereeing decision unless there is 100% proof that the decision was wrong. A minute touch, as in the penalty yesterday, or the ball hitting the hand no matter how far the defender yes, seems enough for the VAR decision to stand. There doesn't seem to be any independent thinking from the VAR referee.
:lol:

Maybe Bayern have plans to sack Kovac and don't want to make it appear it is a result of Lisa Mueller's social media action.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
The Dortmund match will not be the last drop for Kovac, short of a double digit loss. Dortmund are leading the table for a reason, winning away against them is certainly nothing anyone in Bayern's board firmly expects.

Carolina Red

Staff
Really nice to see Dortmund and Gladbach at the top of the table right now. The Bundesliga has been fun to watch so far this season. A little parity is a good thing.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
The Dortmund match will not be the last drop for Kovac, short of a double digit loss. Dortmund are leading the table for a reason, winning away against them is certainly nothing anyone in Bayern's board firmly expects.
What? Of course that's what they're expecting. I don't think it's likely to happen because we have the clearly inferior coach and an unbalanced old team. But I'd be very surprised if the delusional cnuts in our board expect anything else but a win in Dortmund to get back on track.

Actually, considering we were clear favourites to win the league before the season startet, we probably should expect it. A bit early to accept that we're the worse team than this Dortmund side.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
What? Of course that's what they're expecting. I don't think it's likely to happen because we have the clearly inferior coach and an unbalanced old team. But I'd be very surprised if the delusional cnuts in our board expect anything else but a win in Dortmund to get back on track.
Whatever their expectations, I do believe that Hoeneß is prepared to make more excuses for his man Kovac, and in this case the excuse is already lined up before the first whistle.

Actually, considering we were clear favourites to win the league before the season startet, we probably should expect it. A bit early to accept that we're the worse team than this Dortmund side.
I guess we were, in public opinion. However, I have been pessimistic ever since Kovac's appointment and the lack of meaningful transfers, so I'm not at all surprised, and have long since accepted that Dortmund may stand a real chance at winning once more.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Whatever their expectations, I do believe that Hoeneß is prepared to make more excuses for his man Kovac, and in this case the excuse is already lined up before the first whistle.
I kinda agree. Still think Hoeneß expects Kovac to beat Dortmund next week. He'll give him more time, because he was his appointment, even if we lose.

I guess we were, in public opinion. However, I have been pessimistic ever since Kovac's appointment and the lack of meaningful transfers, so I'm not at all surprised, and have long since accepted that Dortmund may stand a real chance at winning once more.
Didn't expect much after we appointed Kovac either. But I'm more surprised how quickly Favre turned Dortmund into a quality side, because they had more than a few problems in their squad last season. They need Reus to stay fit the full season though. Not sure how likely that is.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Didn't expect much after we appointed Kovac either. But I'm more surprised how quickly Favre turned Dortmund into a quality side, because they had more than a few problems in their squad last season. They need Reus to stay fit the full season though. Not sure how likely that is.
Because it was not just bringing Favre in that resulted in the changes, although he of course playes a large role in it.

We basically made the step that Bayern now also needs to make in bringing in fresh blood both on and outside of the pitch:

Signing Sebastian Kehl as official was one of the best decisions the management made in a long time. I fully expect him to follow in the footsteps of DoF Michael Zorc in a few years, but he also fills out an important role in the present as bridge builder and moderator between team and management to improve the dressing room. He is a familar face with a huge standing in the club due to his long past as respected captain. As eloquent speaker he also lightens Zorcs work load a lot by taking away most of his disliked work.

While I believe that Matthias Sammers influence as consultant gets overstated a bit by many people, bringing him into the fold send the powerful and important message that CEO Aki Watzke is not scared of and even welcomes advice and being challenged in his work. I believe that many Bayern supporters would welcome a move like this to show that Rummenigge and Hoeneß don´t need the feeling of being untouchable.

In addition to the changes in the staff, our transfer window was just simply really good. Alcacer and Witsel are extremely good value for money transfers. Getting a potentially 20+ goals per season striker and a midfielder of international class (you could even argue world class in his particular role) in the price range of 20-30 Mil. € is really rare these days. Diallo and Delaney were good albeit pricey additions to the team. It also showed that we were willing to splash some serious money to solve the problems of the team, which were primarily balance, organization and mentality. We did not really need to nurture these attributes like the vast majority of the teams in the league as we could buy it, which cut down the development time by a lot.

We are now in the position that we are financially superior to every Bundesliga team bar Bayern Munich by quite a margin, which makes everything below top 2 a disappointment and everything outside the top 4 a disaster. Our ability to challenge for the title will largely depend on the health of two of our players, though, as missing one of them is already problematic for keeping the stability and level of the teams performance while missing both really exposes the still existing fragile parts of our system. These players are like you said captain Reus, but arguably even moreso midfield engine Witsel. The Belgian might even be harder to replace, eventhough Reus remains our individually strongest player. If one atleast stays healthy, we remain competitive, if both do we have a real shot at winning the league this season as Bayerns problems seem to be deep rooted.