bush admin cuts NYC

mu77

homeland sercuity budget and gives it to the republican midwest. those high priority targets of omaha , KC and st. louis. he's gone dee dee dee!

DEB

Does Old Trafford
The Kippax Kid said:
why has he done that?
Look at the man. Listen to him speak. Does he sound intelligent? He doesn't to me, either.

Seriously, those decisions were made in the Department of Homeland Security. The Human Skull, Michael Chertoff, made those decisions.

mu77

The Kippax Kid said:
why has he done that?
NYC is full of them crazy assed liberal dems that need to be eliminated. whilst nebraska and mo-suri have people that count - the friggin god fearin' flame throwin' GOP'rs!

simple as really. you get shafted if your state didn't vote for georgie part deux. new hampshire didn't give george enough support and we've been listed as 50th out of 50 states in highway funding.

plus what targets are in NYC other than wall street , empire state building or that silly thing in the middle of the harbor , what's her name , the frenchies gave it to us?

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
mu77 said:
NYC is full of them crazy assed liberal dems that need to be eliminated. whilst nebraska and mo-suri have people that count - the friggin god fearin' flame throwin' GOP'rs!

simple as really. you get shafted if your state didn't vote for georgie part deux. new hampshire didn't give george enough support and we've been listed as 50th out of 50 states in highway funding.

plus what targets are in NYC other than wall street , empire state building or that silly thing in the middle of the harbor , what's her name , the frenchies gave it to us?

mu77,

Could you please explain to all of us, what exactly is a 'crazy assed liberal dem' ...for that matter what is a God fear'in flame throw'in GOP'r?

What you seem to be do'in is letting the tube seep into your brain too much. Most people are just normal 'folks' (popular term for average people in the political speak, lately) the work too much and haven't the slightest clue as to what these politicians are doing.

As for NYC, I'd say there are lots of educated people that have a fair understanding as to what compassion, justice, and integrity might look like. And it's across the board, lacking when it comes to politicians.

As for the GOP, they're collecting lobby money to create law that suits the people the pay for their upcoming election campaigns. The Democrats are almost as guilty. They take less heat because their not in control. Doesn't actually mean they're taking less money, or that they're less likely to be dishonest.

I didn't see the amount they're reducing funding....by 40% in NYC and Washington DC.

Nevermind the monuments, how about NYC being one of the most populated places per square inch on Earth. Aren't the people important enough, how about NYC/NJ having one of the busiest ports in the world?

Come to think of it, the MOST rediculous thing is...George Bush got elected on the FEAR TICKET, and now he's not going to provide the people with the protection he promised. That's the real kick in the ass.

kkcbl

LABOB said:
mu77,

Could you please explain to all of us, what exactly is a 'crazy assed liberal dem' ...for that matter what is a God fear'in flame throw'in GOP'r?

What you seem to be do'in is letting the tube seep into your brain too much. Most people are just normal 'folks' (popular term for average people in the political speak, lately) the work too much and haven't the slightest clue as to what these politicians are doing.

As for NYC, I'd say there are lots of educated people that have a fair understanding as to what compassion, justice, and integrity might look like. And it's across the board, lacking when it comes to politicians.

As for the GOP, they're collecting lobby money to create law that suits the people the pay for their upcoming election campaigns. The Democrats are almost as guilty. They take less heat because their not in control. Doesn't actually mean they're taking less money, or that they're less likely to be dishonest.

I didn't see the amount they're reducing funding....by 40% in NYC and Washington DC.

Nevermind the monuments, how about NYC being one of the most populated places per square inch on Earth. Aren't the people important enough, how about NYC/NJ having one of the busiest ports in the world?

Come to think of it, the MOST rediculous thing is...George Bush got elected on the FEAR TICKET, and now he's not going to provide the people with the protection he promised. That's the real kick in the ass.
Bob, I think mu77 was delibrately being ironic.;)

mu77

robert calm yourself. i was kidding. if you read it out loud with a texas twang it could sound bush like.
poor arthur e. newman.

ooeat0meoo

mu77 said:
robert calm yourself. i was kidding. if you read it out loud with a texas twang it could sound bush like.
poor arthur e. newman.
:cool:

That post had been for the people that don't get it. I considered that you may be kidding. But as we know, there are those that do believe as you've posted. Well, either one way or the other.

and I agree, with all the good Arthur has accomplish through the years, not even a fictional character deserves to be compared to such a lowly person.

mu77

and wouldn't you know just as george e. newman err bush gears up to stop the flow of immeys and terrorists coming in from south of the boarder ta da the gov't up north finds a terror cell ready to strike in canadia (bush speak).

ooeat0meoo

Jason seems to be forgetting the summer just prior to the past Presidential election. Georgie got everyone whipped up in a frenzy around NYC and NJ, explaining to the media that the CIA had collected detail information that terrorists planned attacks. Information from Afghanistan, I believe.

It's going to be interesting to here the real story behind that one. My bets are that the Bush admin lied about that, too.

mu77

LABOB said:
Jason seems to be forgetting the summer just prior to the past Presidential election. Georgie got everyone whipped up in a frenzy around NYC and NJ, explaining to the media that the CIA had collected detail information that terrorists planned attacks. Information from Afghanistan, I believe.

It's going to be interesting to here the real story behind that one. My bets are that the Bush admin lied about that, too.
"we have nothing to fear but fear it's self" (fdr then put 1000's in internment camps). bush using fear at a weapon to get elected. nothing new really. say one thing do another , make it up if you have to. the worst president since nixon (IMO.)
this is just another political move due in part to the GOP's fear they drop seats.

Bearded but no genius

LABOB said:

Do the one about how there might be a decent soldier in US military history who wasn't just a murdering lunatic again.

That was your best one for months, almost as good as when you went after Dubai for being from Dubai.

kennyj

LABOB said:
That couldn't be further from the truth. It wasn't the feds, that was Mayor Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Ray Kelly in August 2004, against the advice of HS. It's even thought by some that the city's so called 'grandstanding' in 2004 embarrassed Chertoff and Homeland Security and may account for some of the lost funding.

Whatever, it doesn't change the fact that the funding should go to obvious target areas and NYC & Washington, D.C. are the most obvious targets.

ooeat0meoo

kennyj said:
That couldn't be further from the truth. It wasn't the feds, that was Mayor Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Ray Kelly in August 2004, against the advice of HS. It's even thought by some that the city's so called 'grandstanding' in 2004 embarrassed Chertoff and Homeland Security and may account for some of the lost funding.

Whatever, it doesn't change the fact that the funding should go to obvious target areas and NYC & Washington, D.C. are the most obvious targets.

OK... now you tell me who's the liar Bush, or Homeland Security who got on TV saying they found detailed information on a computer in Afghanistan? Or is it the CIA's falt. No matter what, one thing is perfectly clear, you don't know what you're talking about.

Bush had been on TV for at least a month blathering on about the impending doom of terror attacks. He might have been the person responsible for the presumption that terrorists will be blowing up elementary schools if people vote Democrat.

Bearded but no genius

LABOB said:
OK... now you tell me who's the liar Bush, or Homeland Security who got on TV saying they found detailed information on a computer in Afghanistan? Or is it the CIA's falt. No matter what, one thing is perfectly clear, you don't know what you're talking about.

Bush had been on TV for at least a month blathering on about the impending doom of terror attacks. He might have been the person responsible for the presumption that terrorists will be blowing up elementary schools if people vote Democrat.
Pot, kettle, extremist schizophrenic whackjob.

kennyj

LABOB said:

Actually, you are the liar Bob. You mentioned a specific incident which I recall very well - probably because I live in NYC and saw the entire thing unfold. Unlike you, I am not making an erroneous self-serving statement. Bloomberg and Kelly broke the news on TV about information that was very dated. The feds had advised them that this was dated information and no longer a threat.

I'm not talking about times that Bush was on TV "blathering on about the impending doom of terror attacks." Frankly, I don't recall that and unl9ike yourself, wouldn't want to talk about something that I don't know about.

Your presumption about the elementary schools is idiotic. I remember the thing about the schools c ame from trerrorist manuels that were found in some camp much before the specific NYC incident that you referred to. Your mind is so garbled that you can't get anything straight.

ellie brown

the east is red
At the moment I'm really enjoying the book that accompanies the DVD called "hijacking Catatrophe" one of the interviews (I think it was William Hartung's but I'll have to go back and check :nervous: ) was saying that NYC firemen STILL don't have chemical weapons experts, nor is any kind of radiation sensoring devices available for use so its just "dumb luck" whether weaponry of that nature is actually detected or not, not only that but major governmental agencies do not have equal access to a database of names and profiles of people who need to be blocked from entering the country (which is how the 911 terrorists got into the country in the first place),probably also resulting in unnecessary and arbitrary targeting of the wrong people to if what I hear about US customs is correct...seems as though the 'nuts and bolts' of homeland security has been put on the backburner over there...

kennyj

There's a difference of opinion between Homeland Security and the NY Police. Homeland looked at the initial payment to NY as enough to equip first responders. They don't regard it as a continuing responsibility. Now they are providing first responder equiptment to other cities.

The NYPD spends some of the money on equiptment and first-responder training, but thinks that Homeland should provide ongoing funds for intelligence gathering and other threat prevention - more cops, more analysts and more overtime. The idea is to prevent something so that it doesn't happen (curiously, more in line with Bush's pre-emption policy). The idea is to have a visible police prescence to discourage those with bad intentions. Homeland Security regards that as inefficient and wasteful because it never ends and requires continuous funding.

It's a philosophical difference, but I would prefer prevention.

ooeat0meoo

Yahoo search of 'terror threat nyc 2004'

3. CNN.com - Officials: Arrest in Pakistan led to orange alert - Aug 3, 2004
Information seized from a suspected al Qaeda computer expert was largely responsible for the increased threat level for three East Coast financial districts, U.S. and Pakistani officials said Monday. ... The Web. CNN.com. Home Page ... Counterterror officials have an "intelligence report by the enemy ... is the first time the terror threat system has been used to raise the threat ... edition.cnn.com/2004/US/08/02/terror.threat - 50k - Cached - More from this site - Save

Kenny, you're just plain wrong.

ooeat0meoo

an error comes up after a minute so here is some of what the link says.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Information seized from a suspected al Qaeda computer expert was largely responsible for the increased threat level for three East Coast financial districts, U.S. and Pakistani officials said Monday.

A U.S. intelligence official said the previously unannounced arrest of a 25-year-old computer expert July 13 in Pakistan yielded evidence that detailed potential attacks against New York; Newark, New Jersey; and Washington.

The U.S. official identified the man as Muhammad Naeem Moor Khan. But Pakistani authorities said the man's identity could not be confirmed because he has used multiple aliases in the past.

Khan was described as a possible "node" in al Qaeda operations, with information flowing through him, possibly by computer.

Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani -- a Tanzanian arrested last week in connection with al Qaeda's bombings of U.S. embassies in East Africa in 1998 -- also provided "very important" information, Pakistani Information Minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmad said Monday.

Also, a senior Pakistani intelligence official said seven more suspected al Qaeda members have been taken into custody since Ghailani's arrest -- including one who was trying to leave the country Monday morning.

Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge urged Americans on Monday to go about their business as usual, even though he said terrorists want to "undermine the economy of the United States."

Ridge said the intelligence suggested terrorists may be targeting the New York Stock Exchange and Citigroup headquarters in New York, insurance giant Prudential Financial's headquarters in Newark, and the International Monetary Fund and World Bank buildings in Washington. But he said nothing indicated the threat was imminent.

Ridge raised the color-coded alert level for terror threats in those areas from yellow, or elevated, to orange, or high.

------------------------------------------------------------

I don't see a thing about Bloomberg or Kelly twisting information...it's more like Mr. Ridge of Homeland Security and Georgie Bush pumping people with alarmist crap.

If I had the resources, I could likely find Bush claiming the adventual attacks on american public schools if the democrats were elected.

You see, Neo-Cons like yourself have a limited scope on your lies, Kenny. How bout some creativity. And that's why the neo-con movement will not last.

mu77

omaha , nebraska - 60% increase in HS spending! you havin' a larf!

i can see it now - "we are aiming the high jacked planes at which grain silo?

it's called a boondoggle!

kennyj

LABOB said:
Yahoo search of 'terror threat nyc 2004'

3. CNN.com - Officials: Arrest in Pakistan led to orange alert - Aug 3, 2004
Information seized from a suspected al Qaeda computer expert was largely responsible for the increased threat level for three East Coast financial districts, U.S. and Pakistani officials said Monday. ... The Web. CNN.com. Home Page ... Counterterror officials have an "intelligence report by the enemy ... is the first time the terror threat system has been used to raise the threat ... edition.cnn.com/2004/US/08/02/terror.threat - 50k - Cached - More from this site - Save

Kenny, you're just plain wrong.
No way. When the story broke in NY, Bloomberg and Ray Kelly were on TV. It came out that they broke the story because HS security was reluctant to do so. The arrest in Pakistan led to blueprints and photos of the financial buildings in NYC and Newark. They thought the blueprints, photos, etc. were old and that it wasn't a current threat at that time. Bloomberg said that they felt that this information should be shared with the community. HS was not happy about it. I think that they thought publicizing it could hamper future investigations.

I'm not saying that they didn't discover the info at that time. They did discover the information at that time, no matter how many years old it was. I'm saying that you are wrong to say that the federal government was responsible for putting it before the general public as a scare tactic. It was presented by Bloomberg and Kelly, and certainly not as a scare tactic meant to influence any elections.

The debate around here at that time was whether the public should be informed about everything or whether only those things determined to be valid imminent threats.

I'm not suggesting that either party is above scare tactics. We all remember the ads that the Democrats ran in Florida telling senior citizens that the Bush's Social Security reform would result in all of them losing their Social Security pensions.

kennyj

LABOB said:
You see, Neo-Cons like yourself have a limited scope on your lies, Kenny. How bout some creativity. And that's why the neo-con movement will not last.
What are you, a Neo-Idiot? I'm a registered Democrat have been since I first registered. I'm a member of my local Democratic club and have done work on some campaigns, although not recently. I don't think you would know a Neo-Con if you tripped over one. You're really just a waste of time.

ooeat0meoo

kennyj said:
What are you, a Neo-Idiot? I'm a registered Democrat have been since I first registered. I'm a member of my local Democratic club and have done work on some campaigns, although not recently. I don't think you would know a Neo-Con if you tripped over one. You're really just a waste of time.
Neo-idiot?

I offer up legitimate proof, from what you may consider a legit source, and all you have to respond with is this?

Hey Kenny, Zel Miller claimed to be a Democrat. Besides, how does your claim to be a Dem have anything to do with our discussion?

Even if Bloomberg and Kelly wanted to publicize the old terror information, it doesn't mean they have the power to push the HS code to Orange. You're only including the two of them in the effort to mislead people.

ellie brown

the east is red
Back to the subject, though, one has to wonder why the budget for homeland security (especially in NYC!) would be cut in favour of increased defence spending, I personally would have thought they might start focusing more on much-needed, and seemingly neglected security measures at home...

but that would be presuming they actually had some sense :rolleyes:

ooeat0meoo

ellie brown said:
Back to the subject, though, one has to wonder why the budget for homeland security (especially in NYC!) would be cut in favour of increased defence spending, I personally would have thought they might start focusing more on much-needed, and seemingly neglected security measures at home...

but that would be presuming they actually had some sense :rolleyes:
Really doesn't have anything to do with sense. Not to appear sarcastic because I'm not putting it across that way, it's about payoffs. It's about pay back in congress. The are certain states that have politically invested in casting votes one way or another for the lobby machine, now they get to cash in.

Unfortunately, it comes at the expense of Homeland Security during a time of 'The War Against Terror'. Any fool would know that the first and last place there will be attacks will be a highly populated place like NYC.

kennyj

LABOB said:
Neo-idiot?

I offer up legitimate proof, from what you may consider a legit source, and all you have to respond with is this?

Hey Kenny, Zel Miller claimed to be a Democrat. Besides, how does your claim to be a Dem have anything to do with our discussion?

Even if Bloomberg and Kelly wanted to publicize the old terror information, it doesn't mean they have the power to push the HS code to Orange. You're only including the two of them in the effort to mislead people.
You just get more ridiculous. Proof of what? Bloomberg and Kelly didn't twist information (unlike yourself)- they took the same information available tho HS and reacted much differently. They were on every major network in NY from Sunday through Monday. Ridge issued his statement later. It's really twisting things to say that Ridge telling everyone to 'go about their business as usual' is a scare tactic meant to influence an election.

If I am not posting, it's certainly not because I'm hiding or proven wrong. It's difficult to discuss anything with you because you lack any ability to understand distinctions and even the issues. I know you feel strongly about your beliefs, but that doesn't make them any less simplistic. Being so, it's really a waste of my time to post regularly in a forum that you monopolize and it's better to devote more of my time to my job, reading, or almost anything else.

It's a shame, because there's a lot of people on here with worthwhile things to say and who can contribute to a meaningful exchange of ideas. But it's always the ones with the least to say who talk the most.

ooeat0meoo

kennyj said:
You just get more ridiculous. Proof of what? Bloomberg and Kelly didn't twist information (unlike yourself)- they took the same information available tho HS and reacted much differently. They were on every major network in NY from Sunday through Monday. Ridge issued his statement later. It's really twisting things to say that Ridge telling everyone to 'go about their business as usual' is a scare tactic meant to influence an election.
(this report had been on CNN in July of 2004)
Ridge said the intelligence suggested terrorists may be targeting the New York Stock Exchange and Citigroup headquarters in New York, insurance giant Prudential Financial's headquarters in Newark, and the International Monetary Fund and World Bank buildings in Washington. But he said nothing indicated the threat was imminent.

Ridge raised the color-coded alert level for terror threats in those areas from yellow, or elevated, to orange, or high.

Where in this report, which had been one of the initial reports, do you see anything about Bloomberg or Kelly claiming they had old intel on a terror attack?

kennyj said:
If I am not posting, it's certainly not because I'm hiding or proven wrong.
Well why is it you don't finish conversations when you've been proven wrong?

By the way, I admire your courage for not running and hiding. :D May the fun continue.

kennyj said:
It's difficult to discuss anything with you because you lack any ability to understand distinctions and even the issues. I know you feel strongly about your beliefs(on this occaission, it's fact...has nothing to do with opinion), but that doesn't make them any less simplistic. Being so, it's really a waste of my time to post regularly in a forum that you monopolize and it's better to devote more of my time to my job, reading, or almost anything else.

It's a shame, because there's a lot of people on here with worthwhile things to say and who can contribute to a meaningful exchange of ideas. But it's always the ones with the least to say who talk the most.
I don't post in most threads, Kenny. You can't say I monopolize this forum. What your trouble is, could be, is that you believe the crap you read in the NY papers. The NY Times is NOT the paper of integrity as most new yorkers like to believe. That has proven to be fact in recent years too. So don't start spouting stuff about opinions, again. You know as well as I, the Times has had shoddy reporting...and the Journal is a Right Wing rag. I have serious reservations about the New Yorker mag. as well...that you can mark down as opinion.

So as it stands...you're still a proven liar.