Gaming Button mapping in gaming

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This thought came to me last night when I randomly decided to re-install GTA V and found it incredibly tedious to mash X every time I wanted to sprint. Going back to other older games has also been ruined for me by the inability to use both sticks to move and pan at the same time. Stuff we take for granted now.

It feels like there's a universal agreement these days with controls for certain things. R2 for driving, holding L3 in to sprint, O for me usually seems to be crouch. (PS buttons obv). I remember trying to replay MGS2 and the buttons were all over the place in relation to what we use now.

Do you think it will change much going forward or have most buttons found their place now? What actions do you associate with what buttons?

I've only had 4 hours sleep so not sure if this is a normal thread or not.

Siorac

holding L3 in to sprint
I hate that so much. It's just so awkward.

And, well, it's high time that console games start allowing you to remap controls. Lots of games only allow to choose between a couple of pre-sets and feck that. If I want camera control to be on the d-pad, let me.

No Love

During initial lockdown I went back 100% completed GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas. If I remember correctly, I tried to change the button layout for driving. Pretty sure it was X to accelerate, which just felt wrong.

Wasn’t it Metal Gear Solid that used O as X? Threw me as a child, not gonna lie.

YAMS49

What console/controller are you using?

I have an Elite v2 & everything is remappable. If you're a serious gamer then invest in a superior controller.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What console/controller are you using?

I have an Elite v2 & everything is remappable. If you're a serious gamer then invest in a superior controller.
I just like games. I'm not sure what that makes me.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
In Fifa or Pes I use a hybrid and R1 is my sprint button for that. I would hate to use the trigger buttons for that.

I think everyone has their own thoughts tbh.

Siorac

*Laughs in mouse and keyboard*
There are certain conventions there, too. Like most games use E for interact, sometimes F. Or R for reload.

I still remember the time before WASD though. Good ol' arrow keys.

Ainu

During initial lockdown I went back 100% completed GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas. If I remember correctly, I tried to change the button layout for driving. Pretty sure it was X to accelerate, which just felt wrong.

Wasn’t it Metal Gear Solid that used O as X? Threw me as a child, not gonna lie.
That used to be the default in Japan. Nintendo still does it like that, with A on the right and B at the bottom.

Siorac

Well thats the norm, but can be anything you want
Some games do not allow controls to be remapped even on PC. Which should be punishable by death, obviously. I know there are ways around that sort of thing but still.

Siorac

Oh really? I've yet to come across such a game :lol:
I'm sure you've come across the lesser sin at least: when certain actions are all mapped to the same button and you can't separate them. Understandable on console, as controllers are limited, but when I'm playing on a keyboard and Sprint and Interact are mapped to the same button... argh. Fallout 4, I think, had throwing a grenade and melee attack on the same button.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I'm sure you've come across the lesser sin at least: when certain actions are all mapped to the same button and you can't separate them. Understandable on console, as controllers are limited, but when I'm playing on a keyboard and Sprint and Interact are mapped to the same button... argh. Fallout 4, I think, had throwing a grenade and melee attack on the same button.
Minecraft dungeons.

Who the feck decided attack and interact should be the same button? In a game with lots of mobs and consumable drops, which apparantly take precedence!

caid

Nintendo and xbox having reversed button arrangements is the killer for me. And x on the playstation vs the xbox is another one that always throws me.
Takes me hours to swap the buttons around in my head whenever i go from nintendo to other console games.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
On the rare occasions I've remapped buttons I usually got halfway through and realise I've fecked up and can't remember what button does what on the menu so end up with a worse control scheme than when I started.