Bye bye Van Gaal | Really enjoying managerial retirement

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
“This was my very last match. My third term as a head coach. In that time I coached 20 matches but I didn't lose a single one. I think it is Google you can look that up on. I am looking back on a fantastic period of time with a great group of players.

I don't think I've been beaten today, only in a penalty shootout.

I had a wonderful time and yes it is incredibly painful to see how we have been eliminated. Particularly as because I did everything to prevent this from happening."

Everything he says is “I” rather than “we”.
Someone should tell him that there is no I in team

Last edited:

fallengt

Tbf Netherland was worse without him.
But why is this in football forum? The title is dubious, I thought he' retiring or something. We have a thread in World cup forum

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
This was my very last match. My third term as a head coach. In that time I coached 20 matches but I didn't lose a single one. I think it is Google you can look that up on. I am looking back on a fantastic period of time with a great group of players.

"I don't think I've been beaten today, only in a penalty shootout.

"I had a wonderful time and yes it is incredibly painful to see how we have been eliminated. Particularly as because I did everything to prevent this from happening."

There is no WE in it either.

kidbob

Great manager in his early days turned awful manager in the end. Ole gave us more identity than this 'total football' fraud. His signings were the worst the club seen.

JBD-dane

I hope will win over his cancer and enjoy his retirement! What a football man and character!

Andersonson

Great manager in his early days turned awful manager in the end. Ole gave us more identity than this 'total football' fraud. His signings were the worst the club seen.
Nothing beats Maguire for 80 and Sancho for 80

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I liked him. Won us an FA cup too. And he was hilarious.

terrible style of football and boring as hell to watch but he was far from a fraud.

Brophs

The One and Only
“This was my very last match. My third term as a head coach. In that time I coached 20 matches but I didn't lose a single one. I think it is Google you can look that up on. I am looking back on a fantastic period of time with a great group of players.

I had a wonderful time and yes it is incredibly painful to see how we have been eliminated. Particularly as because I did everything to prevent this from happening."

There is in TimeTeam

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

‘In that time we coached 20 matches and we didn’t lose a single one.’

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think it's fair to say Van Gaal is a great character but a manager declining ability.

United came in for him too late in the game and didn't even take advantage of the good things he actually managed to do.

His football was stuck in the 90s but the Cruyffian foundations are used and evolved by the likes of Guardiola. I hope in ten Hag we have someone who is also adapting those foundations for the modern game.

hobbers

Likeable character and once upon a time a good manager.

Possession over results right to the very end, some sort of nobility in that.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I think it's fair to say Van Gaal is a great character but a manager declining ability.

United came in for him too late in the game and didn't even take advantage of the good things he actually managed to do.

His football was stuck in the 90s but the Cruyffian foundations are used and evolved by the likes of Guardiola. I hope in ten Hag we have someone who is also adapting those foundations for the modern game.
Yep. If we'd had the right manager come in after him we could have been looking back at his time as a somewhat successful period where he put the groundwork in for the following guy. Instead we went for somebody who was entirely different in terms of playstyle, general approach, and what players he wanted. Which meant that LVG's time here was basically an utter waste (other than the FA Cup win).

arnie_ni

Yep. If we'd had the right manager come in after him we could have been looking back at his time as a somewhat successful period where he put the groundwork in for the following guy. Instead we went for somebody who was entirely different in terms of playstyle, general approach, and what players he wanted. Which meant that LVG's time here was basically an utter waste (other than the FA Cup win).
Yea like eth type manager coming in after him would have been perfect.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Tbf Netherland was worse without him.
To be honest I'm sure every member on the caf could do a better job than Frank de Boer. We still looked horrible under Louis. I adore the man for his wacky personality and what he did for us in 2014 (although Robben and RVP carried us big time), but Koeman was the better manager and I can't wait for him to return.

The 532 should never, ever be used by a Dutch national teams manager ever again. It's a disgrace to the beautiful game and our footballing philosphy.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Took them as far as they could go. Not a great team but seeing how poor the Dutch side have been in recent years, he's done well.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
TV show with Louie as a host where he can speak what he wants could turn out better than his late management.

He'll have attention he loves and there could be solid dose of entertainment value from it.

dinostar77

Would have been interesting to see what he could have done with a team like belgium at this tournament. The dutch team currently doesnt have enough top level talent. Did a great job. Top top manager. Tactically amongst the best.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I liked him. Won us an FA cup too. And he was hilarious.

terrible style of football and boring as hell to watch but he was far from a fraud.
If anyone had bothered to watch him prior to him joining United you would have known what was coming, his style never changed, his brand of football worked in Europe because the fans don't demand 100% excitement like they do in Britain

Blackwidow

Actually van Gaal stands more for teams with team work than for individuality. For sure he has an Ego - but actually it is something you need to have in that business as a coach - you maybe should not voice it like this. But it probably is like with Ibrahimovic who for sure is a really good team player but we enjoy his theatre of the pitch, too.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Van Gaal is a fantastic coach when you lack individual talent, as players follow him obediently to end up better than the sum of their parts. Van Gaal can also end up a terrible manager when you have elite talent because he doesn't believe in catering to exceptionalism.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

It's also on google that if you lose on pens, you have actually lost the game.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If anyone had bothered to watch him prior to him joining United you would have known what was coming, his style never changed, his brand of football worked in Europe because the fans don't demand 100% excitement like they do in Britain
If only you'd been around at the time to give your expertise to the board!

vanrooney

a top football man and a very entertaining one too. i wish him well and thank him for our first real post saf trophy

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
It's also on google that if you lose on pens, you have actually lost the game.
Technically it goes in the record books as a draw. Not that it's much consolation once you've been knocked out, though.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I have a lot of respect for him, he knows how to win but its boring

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Technically it goes in the record books as a draw. Not that it's much consolation once you've been knocked out, though.
A technicality like asking someone out, and because they walk off instead of answering you claim they didn't say no.