Cüneyt Çakır

izec

He can still turn around games all by himself. Why would this be his last season? His career has soared since that Nani red card, and he has been influential in many high stakes CL matches since.
Age barrier? He is 45 in November, and i think that would be his last season then, at least internationally.

He would be 46 next season and for the World Cup, and i don't think that is allowed, unless they changed it, which i am not aware of.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
As crazy as it sounds, before last night and after our game vs Real Madrid, he's had many good performances in Europe which have allowed him to ref games at the highest level for years. Of course when he fecks you over, the anger is intense

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Its a questionable decision, actually more penalty than not imo.
It's actually handball by the attacker first. I do not know for what these VAR guys are getting paid for.

Baneofthegame

It's actually handball by the attacker first. I do not know for what these VAR guys are getting paid for.
Maybe I’m blind, I have just woken up, looked like it hit the attackers chest and then the defenders arm then the attackers arm?

Spaghetti

Mom's
Looks like a penalty to me, going by today’s rules.

Doesn’t change the fact that this ref is a complete cnut though. Ruined 2013. We’d have probably got a better manager than Moyes as well; no way he could be manager of a European Cup / Premier League winning team. Maybe Pep. We would probably still be at the top now and singing about 7 times.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Maybe I’m blind, I have just woken up, looked like it hit the attackers chest and then the defenders arm then the attackers arm?
There's a clip in the CL thread, it comes off the attackers arm first.

RUCK4444

I despise this guy, but that’s a penalty.

Defender moves his hand towards the ball after realising the attacker has just chested the ball pass him.

Nick7

Defender moves his hand towards the ball after realising the attacker has just chested the ball pass him.
Lemar handled the ball first, and moved his hand towards the ball in doing so. It should have been a free kick out.

izec

You cant give a pen in the last minute for that, not when the attacker had a hand on the ball first. If the defender wasn't there, and Lemar would have scored, it would have been ruled out, as he touched the ball with his hand as an attacker and had an advantage.

VAR needed to step in and help him out, because it was impossible to see in real time. I find it mindboggling that he gave the pen, because he barely saw what happened.

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
I’m with you
Thanks @sebsheep for posting the video again.
You know I find it okay if I as a spectator do get it wrong.
But what is VAR there for - if not for clearing these kinds of situations? (I hope they are using multiple angles, not so sure about that right now.)

RUCK4444

Lemar handled the ball first, and moved his hand towards the ball in doing so. It should have been a free kick out.
I saw that but Lemar's seems accidental, whilst in his stride. The difference being you can see the defender react and move his arm the second he realises Lemar's taking that ball past him.

In my opinion the more deliberate moving of the defenders arm constitutes a penalty, marginally, but enough. Depends on how your interpreting handball and the more deliberate action.

macheda14

I saw that but Lemar's seems accidental, whilst in his stride. The difference being you can see the defender react and move his arm the second he realises Lemar's taking that ball past him.

In my opinion the more deliberate moving of the defenders arm constitutes a penalty, marginally, but enough. Depends on how your interpreting handball and the more deliberate action.
It bounces of the attackers wrist onto the defenders arm an inch away. If Lemar had gone through and taken a shot, the goal would not have stood.

RUCK4444

It bounces of the attackers wrist onto the defenders arm an inch away. If Lemar had gone through and taken a shot, the goal would not have stood.
The defender moves him arm intentionally, if he doesn’t it probably doesn’t hit him.

Lemars touch, is not intentional and barely even noticeable. I very much doubt VAR would disallow for such a minor touch from Lamar as it’s not clear and obvious.

The defenders intentional movement of his arm to the ball is what the ref sees, I happen to agree that’s the more definitive action and wouldn’t have happened without him scrambling to the ball with his arm intentionally. It’s a pen imo.

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
Thought this bump was about the sending off. Unbelievably harsh second yellow.
Penalty was fair enough. The defender’s arm blocked the ball when Lemar was bundling it forwards with his chest/abdomen.
Watch again then. @sebsheep has posted the videos.

macheda14

The defender moves him arm intentionally, if he doesn’t it probably doesn’t hit him.

Lemars touch, is not intentional and barely even noticeable. I very much doubt VAR would disallow for such a minor touch from Lamar as it’s not clear and obvious.

The defenders intentional movement of his arm to the ball is what the ref sees, I happen to agree that’s the more definitive action and wouldn’t have happened without him scrambling to the ball with his arm intentionally. It’s a pen imo.
The protocol for attackers hand ball last season was if there was ANY handball leading up to a goal it would be disallowed. Now it is if the goal scorer handles it at all, intentional or not, it is not a goal.

Nick7

Nope. Looks like it hits his abdomen first, then the defenders arm. Might hit his arm after that but that’s irrelevant.
It hits Lemars arm first.

I’m not sure how you can say one is intentional and one isn’t when they’re pretty much the same. Lamar raises his arm and hits the ball with it, just before the defender does the exact same.

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
Nope. Looks like it hits his abdomen first, then the defenders arm. Might hit his arm after that but that’s irrelevant.
Wow... you should apply to join UEFA's var team. You seem to fit their profile perfectly.

binary bot
I hate slowed down video of arm movements. It disregards split second natural motions your body makes for balancing and make them look deliberate.

The movements are rarely ever intentional at that distance and therefore should never be a penalty.

FatTails

That’s on the VAR ref(s), not the ref on the pitch, whether you agree with the decision or not.

RUCK4444

It hits Lemars arm first.

I’m not sure how you can say one is intentional and one isn’t when they’re pretty much the same. Lamar raises his arm and hits the ball with it, just before the defender does the exact same.
To me it just looks a much more purposeful movement from the defender in panic when he realises Lemars controlled it past him.

I think Lemars touch is barely visible.

Dr. StrangeHate

There is a reason people sing the following to the tune of EA Sports:
Cuneyt Cakir
It's in the name

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
He is the new Byron Moreno, isn't he? We would possibly find in a few years he is under the pocket of whatever lord of who knows the cartel? :lol:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Not doing anything positive to improve the image of the UEFA refereeing everytime I see him in a game, must say.