Callum Hudson-Odoi

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Agreed. I just find the criticism a bit odd - if we start fewer than 4 academy players every game this is proof we no longer care about youth?

For me Chelsea are finally doing what we should have done all along with our academy. The purchases that ruin us are when we spend big money on mediocre backups - Zappacosta, Batshuayi, Drinkwater, etc. We should instead be saving our funds for top players and filling out the squad with our academy players - they get enough minutes to continue their development and the squad as a whole is better-rounded.
I agree, but I'm also cognisant of where we're having this conversation. Some of it is the kind of banter chat you'd expect to find on rival forum. I'm sure Chelsea fans over on the shedend aren't falling over themselves either to highlight the nuances of Maguire's season.

I doubt we'd be able to splash over £200m on key additions, if we didn't already have some very good academy players who now have considerable PL experience.

Pep's Suit

Doesn't look anything special and the same could be said about RLC. Of course, it's good to have academy players in your squad but wouldn't be surprised to see them playing for West Ham, Crystal Palace etc. two years from now.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
It's astonishing how Fat Lampard keeps refusing to give him minutes, let alone starts, and then the club keeps refusing to sell him, or even loan him out. And all that despite the poor kid having been desperate to join Bayern for over two years now, and Bayern having made a number of generous. even excessive, offers for him to the Iron Lady of Chelsea FC.
He's arguably Chelsea's most talented young player, yet he never gets to play. It's not an acceptable way to treat a young player.
I read in a long, detailed piece in The Athletic (can't quote it I'm afraid, behind a paywall) that Chelsea had even brought in Russian mob strongmen to coerce Hudson-Odoi into signing that new contract the other year. Appalling. Let him leave!

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
It's astonishing how Fat Lampard keeps refusing to give him minutes, let alone starts, and then the club keeps refusing to sell him, or even loan him out. And all that despite the poor kid having been desperate to join Bayern for over two years now, and Bayern having made a number of generous. even excessive, offers for him to the Iron Lady of Chelsea FC.
He's arguably Chelsea's most talented young player, yet he never gets to play. It's not an acceptable way to treat a young player.
I read in a long, detailed piece in The Athletic (can't quote it I'm afraid, behind a paywall) that Chelsea had even brought in Russian mob strongmen to coerce Hudson-Odoi into signing that new contract the other year. Appalling. Let him leave!
What the hell ?! :lol:

Still, I felt he was Chelsea's most effective player yesterday alongside Pulisic.
He put in some really good balls.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

Good lord.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@duffer isn't russian. :rolleyes:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The big meanies!

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I agree that Lampard is destroying his development. Started two games in champions league and scored in both. Then dropped to accommodate Tammy Abraham and move other players out of position. Another tactical masterclass from Lampard.

RUCK4444

Should be starting every game for them, seems like one of their better players.

I like him. He would be great on our RW.

Handré1990

I know! It’s so annoying when other clubs don’t want to give us their players:(

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
You nicked Musiala and Arrey-Mbi, leave some for us!

A good fisherman knows not to clear out the lake all at once.
I think the Brexit deal is still somewhat inconclusive on that topic

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Aye that was me. I told Callum to sign the damn paper or else I'd chop his knob and throw in the Thames.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
People will believe anything it seems. Me passing as a Russian is slightly less ludicrous than mobsters forcing CHO to sign a contract though.
Why did you guys give more than 100k for him when mafia made him sign that deal? Could have saved huge money there.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
:lol: Won’t somebody think of Bayern Munich??

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I know, right? It's almost as though that story is complete and utter bollocks.

Or our mobsters need to get their shit together, Tammy's contract is up in a year or so.
I hope you loan out the mobsters too. We need few of them.

Last edited:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Hey, don't shoot the messenger, The Athletic is a trustworthy outlet.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Hey, don't shoot the messenger, The Athletic is a trustworthy outlet.
They lost their trustworthy status when they suggested that CHO was coerced by russian mob strongmen, unless of course if it was a metaphor for british accountants with a large check.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Should leave really, playing a lot better than the current selection yet still can't get games.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
:nono: It’s either Fat Frank or just Lampard / Lamps.
Also poor Bayern :( and evil Chelsea:mad:
The PL should fine Chelsea and take away their league titles in 2006 and 2010 for not letting the kid join you guys.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Seems like a very serious accusation. No way anyone runs it and it doesn't become massive news.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
How good is he really? I remember the huge fuss when Sarri wouldn't play him much but he eventually signed a new long term deal and then did his ACL straight after.

Been in and out since.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
How good is he really? I remember the huge fuss when Sarri wouldn't play him much but he eventually signed a new long term deal and then did his ACL straight after.

Been in and out since.
It can never be answered essentially how good a player "really" is, it all depends on context. The performances, development, and careers of players, everything we consider as pertinent to their 'quality', don't occur in a vacuum, but are entangled with the team they find themselves in, chance and chances, injuries, and much more.
In CHO's case, he's potentially world-class, or potentially over-hyped. It all depends on whether he ends up joining Bayern or not. :wenger:
And he ruptured his Achilles tendon if I'm not mistaken, not his ACL.

They lost their trustworthy status when they suggested that CHO was coerced by russian mob strongmen, unless of course if it was a metaphor for british accountants with a large check.
It wasn't, howeverThe Athletic might have been a metaphor for my imagination.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Indeed sorry Achilles, think Loftus Cheek did his ACL.

When I mean how good I mean going to Bayern and staring ahead of perhaps not Gnabry but Coman or Sane who's been the main wide back up. Or he just becomes a reserve there for 2-3 years, hits mid 20s and then gets sold back to premier league for inflated fee with half his career pretty much gone.

Wherever he is needs to be regular starter in next two years so given their history Dortmund would be better move for him but doubt they'll stump up the cash Chelsea want.

Classical Mechanic

It can never be answered essentially how good a player "really" is, it all depends on context. The performances, development, and careers of players, everything we consider as pertinent to their 'quality', don't occur in a vacuum, but are entangled with the team they find themselves in, chance and chances, injuries, and much more.
In CHO's case, he's potentially world-class, or potentially over-hyped. It all depends on whether he ends up joining Bayern or not. :wenger:
And he ruptured his Achilles tendon if I'm not mistaken, not his ACL.
I think he’s potentially world class but he’s struggled to make a consistent impression at senior level. There’s also been some grumbling‘s about his defensive work ethic. The injury didn’t help as it was pretty serious.

@FootballHQ

RLC did his Achilles too, although his was a full tear and Hudson Odoi‘s a partial one.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
There’s nothing in The Athletic about it. Last article was earlier in the month from Ornstein who said that CHO wants a move in January.
That's because it's completely made up, perhaps a myth created by and circulated on Bayern message boards.

Classical Mechanic

More likely to be a slur against Chelsea’s fine upstanding owner who definitely hasn’t been involved in any untoward business dealings ever.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Indeed sorry Achilles, think Loftus Cheek did his ACL.

When I mean how good I mean going to Bayern and staring ahead of perhaps not Gnabry but Coman or Sane who's been the main wide back up. Or he just becomes a reserve there for 2-3 years, hits mid 20s and then gets sold back to premier league for inflated fee with half his career pretty much gone.

Wherever he is needs to be regular starter in next two years so given their history Dortmund would be better move for him but doubt they'll stump up the cash Chelsea want.
Bizarrely, they both might have ruptured their Achilles, not sure.
Loftus-Cheek was never the same (so far at least), I remember him being absolutely amazing right before the injury (in Sarri's first season, was it?).

I can't tell you much about CHO, really, Chelsea fans know more. Whenever I've seen him, like yesterday, I thought he looked very lively, very impactful and very dangerous.
I'm really just backing up my DoF here who just can't seem to get over the kid even after repeated rejection and failure. Say what you will about Bayern's transfers, but you can't say we are not highly loyal to our targets, what with Roca, Sané etc all being pursued over several windows.
Of course, both Roca and Sané are firmly on the bench at the moment, so there's that.

Last edited:

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
That's because it's completely made up, perhaps a myth created by and circulated on Bayern message boards.
As far as I know Bayern forgot about Odoi long ago, and aren't in need for wingers either. Even Sané is sitting on the bench why would he want Odoi to come and warm another seat?

I don't know what that guy is on about, and the Russian mob stuff is quite ridiculous for him to even believe.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I think the Russian mob stuff was an attempt to be funny.

Fridge chutney

Good lord.
Do you think it's true? Did the Athletic really report it?

Seems pretty unlikely. I mean, if there's one way to ensure star players don't join your club then it's to publicize the fact that you work with Russian mobsters to coerce contracts.