Callum Hudson-Odoi

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
In any case, surely CHO must start the next game after what happened vs Arsenal?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Depends if he's paid some gangsters to rough Lampard up a bit.
Please, let's be serious here.

Ziyech is out, the team has to play two games in a short order, the team which Lampard picked to start in the first of those disappointed, Hudson-Odoi came on at half time and was arguably the best performer.. if he can't get a start against Villa, when can he ever expect to get one?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Please, let's be serious here.

Ziyech is out, the team has to play two games in a short order, the team which Lampard picked to start in the first of those disappointed, Hudson-Odoi came on at half time and was arguably the best performer.. if he can't get a start against Villa, when can he ever expect to get one?
He'll definitely start if he's fit.

marktan

Indeed sorry Achilles, think Loftus Cheek did his ACL.

When I mean how good I mean going to Bayern and staring ahead of perhaps not Gnabry but Coman or Sane who's been the main wide back up. Or he just becomes a reserve there for 2-3 years, hits mid 20s and then gets sold back to premier league for inflated fee with half his career pretty much gone.

Wherever he is needs to be regular starter in next two years so given their history Dortmund would be better move for him but doubt they'll stump up the cash Chelsea want.
He's talented but he's not good enough to start regularly for a club like Chelsea. The sort of close control he has is great when you're an 18 year old, but to be a league regular you need to develop further from that and he's not getting enough game time to do that and will continue to be behind Pulisic, Ziyech and Werner who are all more productive. For me he's the type of player that either kicks on like Rashford with 40 games a season for 3-4 years or becomes a Townshend like player for Palace.

Bayern is definitely not the right move for him currently, he's around 2 levels below Sane and Gnabry.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
He'll definitely start if he's fit.
I thought this at the start of the season though. We have 3 wingers in Ziyech, Pulisic and CHO and when Pulisic and Ziyech missed the start of the season, Lampard inexplicably kept CHO on the bench and played Havertz and Mount on the wings. Despite the lack of belief shown in him, CHO has performed well when given chances this season.

thatsme

He had a big chance to stake a claim for a starting place but apart from a couple of nice passes in the first half, he wasted his chance. I dont know if it's the injury he had last year, but he looks well short of pace and cannot get away from defenders to create openings.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Whilst acknowledging he could've given away a penalty, I felt he had a decent showing overall as a wingback. Two teasing deliveries, and managed to get himself in the half space to eventually get a shot across goal. Felt it was shaping up to be a good battle between Shaw and Odoi. According to Tuchel, the reason [he was replaced] was tactical and a little injury, a combination, because we switched to a back-five in defence and covered the wide position from Rashford in between Azpi and James." Potentially decent challenges in store for him (before the England games against San Marino and Albania) in Mane, João Félix Raphinha, the tandem between Digne and Richarlison amongst others. Provided Liverpool are playing close to their maximum capability you'd expect to see TAA combining well with Salah, and with A.Madrid there's a noticeable relationship between Trippier and Marcos Llorente. He needs to find a player/s at Chelsea where they can have a cohesive relationship.

SATA

How was he as the offender even allowed to be right behind the referee during the VAR call was absolutely near criminal

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I think he has played very well in the wingback role for Chelsea, with many of their attacks going down his side.

But I'm a bit uncertain about his long term future for a couple reasons. I still don't know whether he has the end product and final third composure/decision making to really stake a place in the front three for a big club. He could still develop those attributes but he really hasn't yet. His good run at wingback reminds me a little bit of a season when Ox started playing wingback for Arsenal and looked great there. Its a role in which players with good enough technique, great physical attributes, but questionable composure and decision making can thrive because the choices and responsibilities when in possession just aren't that complicated. I'm also not at all convinced that Tuchel will play this system in the long run. I think he has chosen to stabilize the club defensively by going three at the back but eventually will switch to a four man backline so the real question is what happens to CHO at that point.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
How was he as the offender even allowed to be right behind the referee during the VAR call was absolutely near criminal
Because he was desperate, he knew full well he handled it and was bricking it. He’s already not flavour of the month with Tuchel so he knew giving away the penalty was not going to sit well with TT.
Look at his face and body language throughout

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Imagine spending a fortune equivalent to the GDP of a small third world country on Werner, Havertz and Pulisic only to start Mason Mount, Hudson Odoi and Giroud. :lol:

I don't know what's worse, Bayern offering 70M for him or Chelsea fighting it tooth and nail and offering him a five year deal.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

I don't know what's worse, Bayern offering 70M for him or Chelsea fighting it tooth and nail and offering him a five year deal.
Always thought there was too much hype around him but let's be fair here, he did get a nasty injury that sidelined him for a while and impacted his development.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Always thought there was too much hype around him but let's be fair here, he did get a nasty injury that sidelined him for a while and impacted his development.
I couldn't get the hype even before that, like there wasn't any sign of a spark that you'd usually see for such a highly rated player. I don't think Chelsea saw it either but they panicked over a fear of missing out on something when Bayern came for him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I couldn't get the hype even before that, like there wasn't any sign of a spark that you'd usually see for such a highly rated player. I don't think Chelsea saw it either but they panicked over a fear of missing out on something when Bayern came for him.
He was so good at youth level he skipped the loan part and went straight into the first team (not even Terry was granted that privilege). He was in a youth team that was setting records left right and centre and still stood out above everyone else.

He then had a club with a reputation for watching the penny's willing to make him their third most expensive player when he had less than 10 senior matches under his belt and 18 months left on a contract he at the time had no intention of extending.

In his first full season in the squad at 17/18 he played a key role in our Europa League winning campaign.

He also became the first teenager to assist in three successive PL games since Micheal Owen, and they were all of high class decision making.

Say he's not progressed as hoped/expected so far all you like (he hasn't) but to say there's "never been a spark" is absolute rubbish.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Imagine spending a fortune equivalent to the GDP of a small third world country on Werner, Havertz and Pulisic only to start Mason Mount, Hudson Odoi and Giroud. :lol:

We did start those three away to you guys and it wasn't much better so not sure what your point is. Also if we sold Hudson Odoi to Bayern and he did well you would of been one of those posters slating us for not giving him a chance and selling him.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He's not going to do well under Tuchel. Going to be a Shaw-Jose type relationship

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He was so good at youth level he skipped the loan part and went straight into the first team (not even Terry was granted that privilege). He was in a youth team that was setting records left right and centre and still stood out above everyone else.

He then had a club with a reputation for watching the penny's willing to make him their third most expensive player when he had less than 10 senior matches under his belt and 18 months left on a contract he at the time had no intention of extending.

In his first full season in the squad at 17/18 he played a key role in our Europa League winning campaign.

He also became the first teenager to assist in three successive PL games since Micheal Owen, and they were all of high class decision making.

Say he's not progressed as hoped/expected so far all you like (he hasn't) but to say there's "never been a spark" is absolute rubbish.
I half think the Bayern bid was a negotiating tactic to move the chains with Sane at City.

Classical Mechanic

I half think the Bayern bid was a negotiating tactic to move the chains with Sane at City.
They didn't bid £70m for him. It was a loan with an option to buy at that price. For Bayern to buy him at that price he'd need like 40+ goals and assists in a season. They bid £35m to buy him earlier in his career.

He's still only 20 and I think he'll become a very good player still. Tuchel says he's going to play him at LWB at some point which will suit him better as he's much stronger on that side.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
They didn't bid £70m for him. It was a loan with an option to buy at that price. For Bayern to buy him at that price he'd need like 40+ goals and assists in a season. They bid £35m to buy him earlier in his career.

He's still only 20 and I think he'll become a very good player still. Tuchel says he's going to play him at LWB at some point which will suit him better as he's much stronger on that side.
He's stronger left wing because he can cut inside onto his right foot. Not sure he would be better LWB than RWB. He has played better RWB than he has ever done playing on the wing even before his injury.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

I quite honestly can't think of a good reason to play an attacking player as a wing back. When I saw the Chelsea line up over the weekend, I thought it was a 4-3-2-1 with Hudson-Odoi on the left and Ziyech on the right of Giroud.

Classical Mechanic

I quite honestly can't think of a good reason to play an attacking player as a wing back. When I saw the Chelsea line up over the weekend, I thought it was a 4-3-2-1 with Hudson-Odoi on the left and Ziyech on the right of Giroud.
It's a strange one alright. He's done well there generally though. I think Tuchel hooking him at half time was a good thing personally because he's not good enough off the ball or always switched on. He wasn't switched on that day. He's an inside left forward really but is a decent traditional right winger as he has a good cross on him.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Against teams playing a low block, having a winger as a wing back is invaluable for stretching the play horizontally. Tuchel is much like Guardiola in that he wants all 5 attacking channels occupied in the opponent's third.

That's true but it would be interesting to see an inverted LWB.
It's not exactly a direct comparison as he's left footed but Alonso does this quite frequently - he often underlaps instead of overlapping because he's such a threat in the box.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Against teams playing a low block, having a winger as a wing back is invaluable for stretching the play horizontally. Tuchel is much like Guardiola in that he wants all 5 attacking channels occupied in the opponent's third.

It's not exactly a direct comparison as he's left footed but Alonso does this quite frequently - he often underlaps instead of overlapping because he's such a threat in the box.
Alonso is such a wasted LB. He should have been a CM. He is very good LWB but not many teams play that formation. He would have been very good CM.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Alonso is such a wasted LB. He should have been a CM. He is very good LWB but not many teams play that formation. He would have been very good CM.
Completely agree. When Sarri came in I was desperately hoping Alonso would play as the left sided 8 - I think he really could have made that position his own in a 4-3-3.

roonster09

Scout
Completely agree. When Sarri came in I was desperately hoping Alonso would play as the left sided 8 - I think he really could have made that position his own in a 4-3-3.
Yeah, you were struggling in midfield at that time without any creativity too. He has very good shot, movement is good, good technique and also good header of the ball.

Obviously CM is the most difficult position to play so you never know how good or poor he would have been but he has all the attributes to be a good one.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, you were struggling in midfield at that time without any creativity too. He has very good shot, movement is good, good technique and also good header of the ball.

Obviously CM is the most difficult position to play so you never know how good or poor he would have been but he has all the attributes to be a good one.
I always thought it lined up well with his strengths and weaknesses on both sides of the ball. Defensively, he's good at pressing and is positionally pretty good, but is a liability isolated 1v1 given his lack of pace. Giving him a zone to mark instead (e.g. the left half space) would have masked some of those weaknesses I think. As you say it's all conjecture but a fun hypothetical to consider!

roonster09

Scout
I wouldn't mind seeing him at centre forward in a Giroud type role. He's just quite slow and can't really defend all that well.
He used to end up in goal scoring position all the time from LWB position, so who knows.

He should do that at least at lower clubs or lower league when he is past his best.

RashyForPM

He’s just not that good honestly. Decent but very overrated player. In 3 seasons at senior level, he has 2 goals and 7 assists in the league. When I watch him, he can get past people once in a while but has awful end product, and he’s hardly the most hardworking player in the world too. He could have a career similar to Young’s - decent winger turned average full back when he gets upgraded with absolute ease. Clearly a bit of a bellend too. Aside from Suarez, I don’t recall any stories of players bollocking a ref watching the monitor this season. It probably put the bottle job off even more.

Put it this way, in five years when England’s best young wingers/wide forwards all begin to peak, he would struggle to even make the third squad. Off the top of my head, Saka, Mason, Grealish, Foden, Barnes, Rashford, Sancho, Sterling (slightly older but will still be top class), Eze and Bowen will all be ahead of him in the pecking order. At wing back/full back, TAA, James, Aarons, AWB (if he doesn’t switch to Congo), Lamptey, Shaw, Chilwell etc will keep him out as well.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If he is any good, he'd be playing closer to goal. I thought Tuchel got it terribly wrong with the line up. Playing Giroud and Mount as the furthest forward players meant even Maguire and Lindelöf could play a high line and shrink the pitch, allowing the front three of United to press against Chelsea's back three. Its not like either of Chelsea midfield players were bombing forward either, I can remember no more than 5 touches Kante and Kovacic had in the opposition half. Had he started with Hudson-Odoi or Pulisic on the left, that's an entirely different proposition as you saw when Pulisic eventually came on and United dropped deeper, despite him not even being much of a threat.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
If he is any good, he'd be playing closer to goal. I thought Tuchel got it terribly wrong with the line up. Playing Giroud and Mount as the furthest forward players meant even Maguire and Lindelöf could play a high line and shrink the pitch, allowing the front three of United to press against Chelsea's back three. Its not like either of Chelsea midfield players were bombing forward either, I can remember no more than 5 touches Kante and Kovacic had in the opposition half. Had he started with Hudson-Odoi or Pulisic on the left, that's an entirely different proposition as you saw when Pulisic eventually came on and United dropped deeper, despite him not even being much of a threat.
Well, I think it's pretty obvious that Tuchel expected you to sit very deep and counter and that Ole genuinely surprised with his high-pressing approach - in that context you're right, Giroud and Ziyech made little sense, and CHO struggled at RWB because he was far from goal. Werner or Pulisic would have been far better against you in the first half, but given your approach this season in most of the big games I don't think it's an unreasonable assumption to think that you'd try to play primarily on the break.

More broadly though under Tuchel, CHO as the RWB has gotten forward quite regularly - the wingbacks in our system currently are attackers moreso than they are defenders. Also, CHO has played in one of those 10 roles - he did so against Spurs and was very good overall.