Callum Hudson-Odoi

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The chickens are coming home to roost for Chelsea.

Odd that he got to play - given that he hasn't signed a new contract, I thought he was to be benched for the next 18 months and basically ruin his progression into senior football.

Think Solanke suffered a lot from Chelseas callous youth policy. They really are doing their best to ruin the youngsters they hoove up.
Sure worked out great for him switching from Chelsea’s “callous youth policy” to Liverpool...

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep

Odd that he got to play - given that he hasn't signed a new contract, I thought he was to be benched for the next 18 months and basically ruin his progression into senior football.

Think Solanke suffered a lot from Chelseas callous youth policy. They really are doing their best to ruin the youngsters they hoove up.
Good thing Liverpool rescued Solanke's career by turning him into a world class star. Or didn't you just send him to the bench and then recently sold him for profit?

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Isn't that extremely risky for Bayern, leaving their wing play entirely to a bunch of kids?
Coman and Gnabry are still young, but "kids" they are no more. We don't have much of a choice when it comes to replacing Robbery anyway. It's not like there are dozens of attainable(and affordable) WC or near WC wingers out there.
So, might as well bet on the youth and hope for our signings to take a similar trajectory as Sancho.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Sure worked out great for him switching from Chelsea’s “callous youth policy” to Liverpool...
Shit comparison.

The same happened to him as with many other youngsters at Chelsea. The moment he doesn't sign a new contract, you're frozen out of any and all chance of gametime at any level. They are actively hurting the development of youngsters they can't tie down to new contracts.

I reckon if he'd been allowed a loan or to leave earlier, he'd have been much further along in his development when he came.

But yeah, being 2nd choice behind Firmino is callous and just as bad. Christ.

steakpie

We should definitely be interested. He's young, talented, English and a right winger.

Woodward get busy you little worm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Classical Mechanic

Chelsea's position on youth players seems to be changing. Abraham is supposedly for sale too, in the past they've looked to tie them to long contracts and reap big loan fees until they feel they can move them at an acceptable fee. It might have something to do with FIFA looking to restrict the number of players a club can have on loan but I think they realised the negative reputation they were getting with their handling of young players.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Shit comparison.

The same happened to him as with many other youngsters at Chelsea. The moment he doesn't sign a new contract, you're frozen out of any and all chance of gametime at any level. They are actively hurting the development of youngsters they can't tie down to new contracts.

I reckon if he'd been allowed a loan or to leave earlier, he'd have been much further along in his development when he came.

Those exact same words apply to his time with Liverpool. All of them. Has he played even a single minute this season, in any competition?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Shit comparison.

Is he second choice behind Firmino? Just checked transfermarkt, he didn't even play single min in all competitions and he wasn't even in the squad for any game except Chelsea game in League cup.

tattico

Supports
SC Freiburg
According to the german magazine "Sport Bild", Bayern will additionally buy a established Top-Player for their attack. I also cant believe, they would trust a attack with CHO (18), Coman (22), Gnabry (23) and Davies (18). Maybe Davies will go on a loan in the sommer? Last rumours are naming Werner (22) and Dybala (25) as potentially transfers. Gnabry is a good player, but is injured pretty often and i would call him a good substitute. Coman should have a safe spot in the starting 11, but he is also injured a lot.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Don't think they had much choice but to play him, they only had one other fit winger.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Rumours are that CHO doesn't want to sign a new contract. We can't be sure if that is to get a better deal using Bayern as leverage or because he thinks he won't develop with us. Personally I don't think we can sell him for even £35m given his potential. We should be playing him and then see in the summer even if we get less money then.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
That entire age group is full of prodigious talents. It's why people call them or have been calling them a golden generation for like the past 3-4 years. I mean, just look at it. Sancho, Foden, Hudson Odoi, Gibbs White, Sessegnon brothers, Gomes, Smith Rowe, Skipp, and also other players who have yet to make their mark in Mceachran, Kirby, Oaklley Boothe (struggling I heard), etc...
All Bundesliga clubs (Dortmund, Mönchengladbach and Hoffenheim have had even two scouts at every game) have watched all England's U17 and U19 games in 2018.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Can't imagine that will go down well with the club hierarchy. I can see us keeping him until the summer, unless Bayern put a massive bid in (say £40-45m + £20m of add ons) Like the Martial deal.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Bayern have come out and publically declared interest in him. They must be confident in securing a deal.
Absolutely. Which also means, that he is not using them for leverage to get a better deal out of Chelsea. IMO it is about now or in the summer, which is probably dependent on who Chelsea manages to bring in this window.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He's only been in premier league match days 5 times so far, given the form of the other wingers and his pre season form it's 100% on Chelsea that he will leave, they might aswell take the money.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
This is a perfect example of clubs not being proactive enough with young talent and it’s why I always argue I want to see more of ours playing only to be dismissed with the old Alan Hansen line.

If you play these young players (17-19 year olds) you’ll quickly find out if they’re good enough or not and then you can act accordingly, instead of keeping them for years going on various loans etc which not only takes up space in our squad but ruins their early career as well.

We should be giving serious game time to Gomes and Chong to find out if they can really cut it and come summer we’d have a great idea if they were going to make it or not.

There’s an argument to be made on both sides, Kane is a good example of loaning and being patient and some are late bloomers, others like Sancho, Pogba and maybe Hudson-Odoi are on the other side.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He looked like he has good balance but never really saw him show his pace. Maybe it’s just that Spurs we’re defending deep. But if you’re playing as a wide forward, you have to be brisk. In the RW spot, he’s going to compete with Sancho for England and I am not sure if he’s got that pace to compete.
He’s rapid.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Reece James is another Chelsea youngster who probably deserves a few games next season too, let's see if they handle him any differently.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He's doing really well at Wigan, think he has won their player of the month for 3 months in a row!
Doing it while playing right back too, like I said I think he's earned a chance for next season.

Classical Mechanic

He's doing really well at Wigan, think he has won their player of the month for 3 months in a row!
Wigan were hoping to rest him in the Cup at weekend but they had a crisis with injuries in midfield so he came off the bench for 30 min to play in the middle of the park and won man of the match. Hope he gets more chances there as, dare I say it, he’s too good to be a right back.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
They won’t sell him for the sort of money Bayern are offering.

I reckon they will keep him and start playing him. Then he will sign an extension in the summer.

England has some incredible young talent coming through and with the league so competitive, playing time is always going to be tight.

That said, anyone who actually leaves and proves good enough is going to be back in the PL within a few years (e.g. Sancho).

KingMinger22

It makes every sense in true world for Hudson-Odoi to drag this out and get the max possible for his new contract... likely with Chelsea.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Reece James is another Chelsea youngster who probably deserves a few games next season too, let's see if they handle him any differently.
Him and Mason Mount both.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Looks like we're not happy with Bayern:

http://www.espn.co.uk/soccer/soccer...eport-bayern-to-fifa-over-hudson-odoi-sources

Can't see us selling this window unless they put in a truly massive offer. He has 18 months on his deal, £35m isn't much in the market these days. Even if his value decline a bit in the summer and we still had to sell, not the end of the world. Risk / reward of keeping him 6 months, giving in game time and trying to convince him to stay (assuming he isn't playing Bayern anyway). No brainier for me unless they offer huge money.

tattico

Supports
SC Freiburg
I have to admit, that i am not very impressed by CHO so far. Granted, the benchmark is very high, but i don´t see something really special in him. One big problem: Coman hasn´t a good distance shot, neither sems CHO to have one. I think Bayern would miss Robbens punch very hard, if they play with CHO and Coman. My choice would probably be Bailey from Bayer Leverkusen. His performance in this season so far is bad, but with Bosz he will likely improve. I like his dribbling, his punch and his dynamic more than anythink i have seen from CHO.

KingMinger22

Looks like we're not happy with Bayern:

http://www.espn.co.uk/soccer/soccer...eport-bayern-to-fifa-over-hudson-odoi-sources

Can't see us selling this window unless they put in a truly massive offer. He has 18 months on his deal, £35m isn't much in the market these days. Even if his value decline a bit in the summer and we still had to sell, not the end of the world. Risk / reward of keeping him 6 months, giving in game time and trying to convince him to stay (assuming he isn't playing Bayern anyway). No brainier for me unless they offer huge money.
Agreed. The offers they are putting in are pretty pathetic given today’s market. It needs to easily be in the Martial range for it to be worth discussion at Chelsea.

Keep until the summer no matter what. He’s getting chance now too, so I think he will eventually resign but with a stupidly lucrative deal for an 18 year old. The new normal of course.

Classical Mechanic

Agreed. The offers they are putting in are pretty pathetic given today’s market. It needs to easily be in the Martial range for it to be worth discussion at Chelsea.

Keep until the summer no matter what. He’s getting chance now too, so I think he will eventually resign but with a stupidly lucrative deal for an 18 year old. The new normal of course.
Martial had played 50 games for Monaco first team before he signed for United.

MarkK

Supports
Bayern Munich
I understand the boy has only played a couple of minutes in the PL and was practically overlooked by Sarri until Bayern showed interest in him. 30 Million is already way too much for an unproven youngster - if Chelsea doesn't want to sell at that price, I would leave Hudson-Odoi where he is. I understand he is rapid and has a lot of potential but only 1 in 10 of these starlets actually turns into a player like Jadon Sancho.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

arthurka

For an 18 year old who two weeks ago most people would have said is probably made up?

The market has changed, but not that much.
This.. If he leaves its all on Chelsea. They really suckn at this youth thing. That is using and nurturing.

redmeister

I'm really surprised Bayern want him. He looks like a talented kid, but I'd have thought his future is more Bournemouth than Bayern. He doesn't seem to have any particularly special ability. He's big and fast, but technically he looks good, but not amazing. I can't see him making it at either Chelsea or Bayern in the long term. I suppose the likes of Lookman have made the Bundesliga look easy, but Bayern should be challenging for the CL and therefore need Robben standard players. Hudson-Odoi looks talented, but not Robben level talent. I think the Germans have a hard on for young English players at the moment. But he hardly looks like the next Sterling or Sancho. Those two are not only quick, but are seriously damn technically gifted. There is a big difference between them and Odoi in my opinion.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
I'm really surprised Bayern want him. He looks like a talented kid, but I'd have thought his future is more Bournemouth than Bayern. He doesn't seem to have any particularly special ability. He's big and fast, but technically he looks good, but not amazing. I can't see him making it at either Chelsea or Bayern in the long term. I suppose the likes of Lookman have made the Bundesliga look easy, but Bayern should be challenging for the CL and therefore need Robben standard players. Hudson-Odoi looks talented, but not Robben level talent. I think the Germans have a hard on for young English players at the moment. But he hardly looks like the next Sterling or Sancho. Those two are not only quick, but are seriously damn technically gifted. There is a big difference between them and Odoi in my opinion.
The problem we have have for a few years already: Who on the market is a "Robben level player/talent" and obtainable? Robben and Ribery are the best pure wingers of the past 10-15 years.

Which talent is a Robben level talent? I haven't seen any for years already. The only truly worthy replacements of the past few years would have been Neymar, Mbappe and Hazard. And none of them were obtainable for us. Maybe Hazard in 2012 before he moved to Chelsea, but that was too early.

So we unfortunately have to take risks, such as Odoi and Davies maybe. I never saw Odoi play, so i certainly don't know about his talent level. But there must be something our bosses have seen in him.