Can any United players in history beat Nick Culkin's record?

Erics_Collar

I was watching old highlights today, and just finished the 2-1 win over Arsenal in the league at Highbury in 1999. Keano with a brace in a come from behind victory.

In the last minute of added time, Raimond Van Der Gouw saved a header from a free kick that was swung in from out wide, catching and holding onto the ball. Caveman Martin Keown immediately bundled into him to try force the ball over the line, kneeing VDG in the head while doing so. The goal wasn't given, and United were given a free kick in much the same position as a goal kick. VDG was stretcheded off.

Nick Culkin replaced him, making his United debut. He took the free kick, and the full time whistle was immediately blown. That was his only ever appearance for United, lasting a grand total of 2-3 seconds.

But... he did at least touch the ball.

I'm wondering if any youngsters ever played for United, brought on at the end of a game or whatever, and did not get to touch the ball....?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I was watching old highlights today, and just finished the 2-1 win over Arsenal in the league at Highbury in 1999. Keano with a brace in a come from behind victory.

In the last minute of added time, Raimond Van Der Gouw saved a header from a free kick that was swung in from out wide, catching and holding onto the ball. Caveman Martin Keown immediately bundled into him to try force the ball over the line, kneeing VDG in the head while doing so. The goal wasn't given, and United were given a free kick in much the same position as a goal kick. VDG was stretcheded off.

Nick Culkin replaced him, making his United debut. He took the free kick, and the full time whistle was immediately blown. That was his only ever appearance for United, lasting a grand total of 2-3 seconds.

I'm wondering if any youngsters ever played for United, brought on at the end of a game or whatever, and did not get to touch the ball....?
Great thread, if only to remind us of truly what a cnut Keown was

Grande

I happened to be there for Martin Keown’s debut for Arsenal in 1985, and even if he ended up with more than 400 league games, I’m not sure he kicked an actual ball more than once.

dcrompton

Think there were lots of 1 cap wonders under Van Gaal. Donald Love, James Weir, Regan Poole, Joe Riley. Couldn’t say if they touched the ball

Oranges038

Great thread, if only to remind us of truly what a cnut Keown was
Absolutely, he was such a cnut.

Doubt anyone would ever beat Culkin's appearance record.

There were loads under SAF as subs in league cup games or CL dead rubber group games etc, like Richie Wellens, Mads Timm, Eddie Johnson. Phil Marsh was subbed on for his debut and then subbed off in a league cup game that went to extra time.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I don’t think you will another with only a few secounds game time. But perhaps our most famous one game wonder is Dong Fangzhou

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
In a similar spirit, is Danny Simpson the only player in the modern era who came through the United academy, actually played a few games for us, never got a Prem medal with us but with another club instead?

Dreadfulboss

Supports
York City

That 2-3 seconds earned York City a Pre Season Friendly

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
In a similar spirit, is Danny Simpson the only player in the modern era who came through the United academy, actually played a few games for us, never got a Prem medal with us but with another club instead?
There are four players to come through our youth system, play in the first team and then go on to win the league title with other clubs:

Johnny Giles - Leeds United 1968/69 and 1973/74
Jimmy Rimmer - Aston Villa 1980/81
Tom Lawrence - Leicester City 2015/16
Danny Simpson - Leicester City 2015/16

Obviously the likes of Matty James and Danny Drinkwater didn't play in our first team but made the bench whilst Richie De Laet played for both teams albeit he didn't come through the youth system.

The same with David Platt who won the league title with Arsenal in 1997/98, came through our youth system, but never featured in the first team.

The other anomaly is Phil Chisnall, who signed for Liverpool towards the end of the 1963/64 season when they won the title but he didn't make his debut until the following season so wouldn't have got a medal.

Uniquim

Think there were lots of 1 cap wonders under Van Gaal. Donald Love, James Weir, Regan Poole, Joe Riley. Couldn’t say if they touched the ball
Donald Love, 2 games, 143 minutes, touched the ball, hit 3 crosses, won 9 tackles, 2 interceptions, 1 foul
James Weir, 1 game, came on in added time, 90+5', no registered tackles, interceptions etc, don't know if he touched the ball. Was v Arsenal - Feb 28, 2016.
Regan Poole, 1 game, came on in added time, 90+1', no tackles, interceptions etc. don't know if he touched the ball. Was v Midtjylland - Feb 25, 2016.
Joe Riley, 2 games, 123 minutes, 5 crosses, 2 tackles won, 1 interception.

Both Weir and Poole came on for Herrera in the same week.
Feel free to correct me if I missed something, just checked fbref.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Think Beardsley played in the League Cup but never in the League for United.
Yep...there have been plenty of players who have played for United and another team and won league honours with one of them.

Beardsley came from Vancouver Whitecaps on loan and was never part of our youth system.