Can begin to see United’s rebuild & new core is nearing completion

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
Maguire is complete, Dybala is just a matter of when, Bruno looks likely - the latter 2 going purely off the most reliable journalists in football and their reports.

There’s a really good chance these players will form the hopeful/likely starting 11:

Rashford - 21yrs

Martial - 23yrs

Dybala - 25yrs

Pogba - 26yrs

Fernandes - 24yrs

McTominay - 22yrs

Shaw - 24yrs

Lindelof - 24yrs

Maguire - 26yrs

AWB - 21yrs

De Gea - 28yrs

= incredible average starting Xl age of 24 years old.

United are going to be burning some fecking calories this season alright.

...you can almost begin to see the light at the end of the rebuild tunnel. That’s a core group that can stick together for many years to come with their youthfulness. That’s excluding the Greenwood’s/James’ we also have in the squad, as well as the likely DM+RW we will still add next summer.

Incredible really. Not just the age range but the quality all those players have. Think about it - Luke Shaw really just went from our POTY this past season to our now weakest starting 11 defender. If we can confirm Dybala+Bruno, he’s arguably our “weakest” player in the starting lineup.

It’s took some years of hardship in order to get to this point but we’re finally here. And it’s beautiful. And feels like the glory days will soon be among us with Ole at the wheel.

LET’S FECKING GOOOO !!!!

Icemav

Top post.

Squad is a bit heavy with dybala, mata, lingard and Gomes. And I really like Gomes.

But with what you've shown we can shift a few players.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Don't think Fernandez is likely, not sure we were in for him at all, looks like what they did with us and Pepe, to push the price up.

If we go for a CM after Maguire and eventually Dybala, i think it'll be a more defensive one or box to box.

But yeah, i think the team looks pretty good for the future.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well it looks good on paper doesn't it. But there are still doubts how to fit Martial, Rashford and Dybala together in attack 3, whether playing Pogba and Fernandes in midfield will make us weaker defensively, and whether Lindelof and Maguire can play well together, especially in high defence line.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
Well it looks good on paper doesn't it. But there are still doubts how to fit Martial, Rashford and Dybala together in attack 3, whether playing Pogba and Fernandes in midfield will make us weaker defensively, and whether Lindelof and Maguire can play well together, especially in high defence line.
To be fair we shouldn’t worry so much about formations. It’s more so about appreciating that we’re close to finally competing again with the top level players have.

But strictly to answer your concern, Ole has implemented 4231 all preseason and he specifically mentioned Dybala as a false 9 in a podcast earlier this summer when asked about having to take players like him and Messi if they ever become available.

So Dybala - going off Ole’s word their and the formation - would play the false 9 striker upfront like this I’d assume:

Don’t want this turning into a lineup thread, there’s plenty of those already out there.

Cheers!

Samrat Mazumdar

We have a young manager at the helm too, just that in today's day and age, its highly suspect that players will remain with a club for "years to come"

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
To be fair we shouldn’t worry so much about formations. It’s more so about appreciating that we’re close to finally competing again with the top level players have.

But strictly to answer your concern, Ole has implemented 4231 all preseason and he specifically mentioned Dybala as a false 9 in a podcast earlier this summer when asked about having to take players like him and Messi if they ever become available.

So Dybala - going off Ole’s word their and the formation - would play the false 9 striker upfront like this I’d assume:

Don’t want this turning into a lineup thread, there’s plenty of those already out there.

Cheers!
To be honest, this creates even more uncertainty. Not too sure with Rashford on the right, Dybala as no.9, and whether Pogba would be happy to play in DM role (I remember in the past we did try him there but with no success). Anyway, we have yet to see them all playing together so to be fair, still bit early to judge.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
Far from complete.
Incredible reasoning!

Oft' repeated, but if we get Bruno and Dybala then Pogba would be off.

(I just wanted to find a way to use the word "oft'")

Move along.
Impressive, first time I’ve seen it used myself.

And I disagree. Because Neither Dybala or Bruno play Pogba’s position therefore Pogba literally can’t be displaced.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Oft' repeated, but if we get Bruno and Dybala then Pogba would be off.

(I just wanted to find a way to use the word "oft'")

Move along.
I actually think so too. Maguire will share the role of passing the ball forward, Bruno will share the goals/assists, Dybala will share the playing making/creativity/skills/flair part.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I actually think so too. Maguire will share the role of passing the ball forward, Bruno will share the goals/assists, Dybala will share the playing making/creativity/flair part.
I just can't see us going into the season with Pogba, Bruno and Dybala - with McT as the only cover... It's very suspect. Then again, maybe we'll just score more every time...

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
To be honest, this creates even more uncertainty. Not too sure with Rashford on the right, Dybala as no.9, and whether Pogba would be happy to play in DM role (I remember in the past we did try him there but with no success). Anyway, we have yet to see them all playing together so to be fair, still bit early to judge.
Agreed it’s too early. But it looks too good to fail. That looks like a solid all around lineup. Just a matter of proving true on the pitch.

I actually think so too. Maguire will share the role of passing the ball forward, Bruno will share the goals/assists, Dybala will share the playing making/creativity/skills/flair part.
Pogba plays there for France too in the exact same formation and spot. And they have more talented players around him than we do even with Bruno+Dybala yet it works.

I personally think it’s a non concern and over analyzing.

Rish Sawhney

If Pogba's leaving then Dybala would be the biggest idiot in the world to join. It makes less than 0 sense for any of the 3 parties involved (Pogba, United and Dybala). Who even thinks this is a possibility other than insecure United fans and maybe some papers in France? (To clarify - I'm talking about the possibility of us letting Pogba go after signing Dybala that a significant portion of posters here not only believe but are absolutely convinced of)

pjaya

Still too early to think about it. We may end up with none of Dybala and Bruno.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Agreed it’s too early. But it looks too good to fail. That looks like a solid all around lineup. Just a matter of proving true on the pitch.

Pogba plays there for France too in the exact same formation and spot. And they have more talented players around him than we do even with Bruno+Dybala yet it works.

I personally think it’s a non concern and over analyzing.
Do you still remember the time when Mourinho plays him there but failed? Playing for France in order to to win the WC in one-off tournament is one thing, but at club level, Pogba seems less interested to playing in such a limited role for a club for over a season, as it has shown in the past he is better at more advance/attacking role as he has been by far our most creative player.

NoPace

I think this is optimistic. The back 5 is complete and has at least 5 or 6 quality years at every spot so no hurries there (and Tuanzebe and Dalot look like they could become good backups at CB and at FB), we have very promising young forwards who are all a bit similar in strengths and weaknesses (if not style) in Rashford, Greenwood and Martial and in between them, where you need at least 3 or 4 quality players, we have Pogba who wants out, McTominay looks an interesting Ambrosini or Tiago kind of water carrier (no shame in that) and uh, that's about it.

We're 2-3 midfielders/wingers short of me feeling like we're close to having a core. Not sure why we weren't ready on June 1st with a feck off check for at least one guy like Aouar, Van De Beek or Llorente.

Greck

Might want to wait till the boys have been on the pitch. This hasn't been our most exciting summer rebuild in the past 5 years. Then october comes and we are back in those depressing "What are we missing?" threads

Rish Sawhney

Do you still remember the time when Mourinho plays him there but failed? Playing for France in order to to win the WC in one-off tournament is one thing, but at club level, Pogba seems less interested to playing in such a limited role for a club for over a season, as it has shown in the past he is better at more advance/attacking role as he has been by far our most creative player.
Mourinho's midfield two is very different from Ole's midfield two though. In Mourinho's system if you lose the ball you have to drop back, in Ole's system if you lose the ball the players behind you press and try to win it back without the whole team having to drop 40 yards into their own box.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Bruno Fernandes isnt coming, why do people keep thinking he is? Time and time again everyone has denied it and it's basically just looked like Nico Gaotan v2 all summer long. Sporting are shopping him around trying to raise the price, who knows who is actually seriously interested.

Though yeah, I agree. We have to do a lot of sales, and fix the midfield next summer, but very encouraging stuff. Basically assuming Dybala and Maguire sign with Lukaku out, we'll have this:

Gk: De Gea, Romero, Grant, Henderson, Pereira
  • Henderson should stay out on loan for a few years or sign somewhere with a buyback clause if he becomes good enough to take over from De Gea after this contract
RB: Wan Bissaka, Diogo Dalot, Matteo Darmian, Ethan Laird
  • Darmian pointless, Laird a few years away but has his work cut out for him to actually break through. Dalot versatile enough to get minutes to progress himself as he is very promising but probably won't ever win the job ahead of Wan Bissaka who looks class. Nice depth though.
CB: Maguire, Lindelof, Smalling, Tuanzebe, Jones, Bailly, Rojo
  • Not sure what the point of Rojo is, Bailly forever injured. Both should absolutely leave, then we'd be left with a good balanced group of 5 IMO.
LB: Shaw, Young
  • Young fine as a squad player this year. Important year for Shaw, really needs to kick on otherwise I wouldnt mind looking to upgrade on him (and make him the squad player). Likely safe enough though. Will need a back up left back in a year or 2 though.
CM: Pogba, Fred, Pereira, McTominay, Matic, Garner
  • Pogba quality, McTominay looks to be progressing very well. Matic past it, Fred mediocre, Pereira fine as a squad player at best, Garner potential. Lacking defensive balance here, especially starting quality.
Attacking mid: Mata, Lingard, Gomes,
  • Gomes big potential, all 3 versatile so can play in a midfield 3 if we use one, or as part of the front 4. Lingard solid squad player who can balance out the others well and versatile. Mata is alright but feel like we should be ruthless and give his minutes to Gomes, especially with Dybala in.
Attack: Martial, Rashford, Dybala, James, Greenwood, Chong, Sanchez
  • Sanchez pointless. James depth and provides a classic winger option (though feel like Chong will just do the same thing in a year or so when he develops more). Greenwood massive potential, but only 17. Martial and Rashford massive potential, time to step up now though. Dybala potentially world class, shown that form previously when he had a key role. If he comes in, think he'll be among the best in the league.
So looking at a current and slightly future squad, we have...
Starting XI:
De Gea
Wan Bissaka Maguire Lindelof Shaw
Lingard McTominay Pogba
Dybala
Martial Rashford
Mix of future prospects/squad players (no current starters):
Henderson
Laird Tuanzebe Jones Dalot
Garner Fred
James Gomes Chong
Greenwood
Players left out of the 2 teams:
  • Romero (current backup)
  • Grant (pointless)
  • Pereira (not much future hope here but can be decent)
  • Young (current backup, future retire)
  • Darmian (sell)
  • Jones (5th choice CB)
  • Bailly (sell)
  • Rojo (sell)
  • Pereira (back up/sell if he wants regular football)
  • Matic (future retire/sell)
  • Mata (future retire/sell)
  • Sanchez (sell)
Definitely need a CM which would bump Lingard as an extra front 4 players and bump Pereira down to not much use. If we sign Mandzukic, then we should definitely send Chong/Gomes on loan to get more regular game time while Mandzukic's short term spell is over (as a squad player). Not guarantees about Pogba's future, so a situation to keep an eye out.

In summary; back 5 sorted current and with decent potential coming through and solid depth throughout. McTominay only decent looking option long term, is he good enough to start regularly though? Pogba if happy the easy midfield start. Garner too soon to say. Attack sorted current and long term with massive potential coming through in case some current don't work out. Need to sell a bunch between now and next summer, and next summer sorting the midfield out is a must.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Now I just look forward to the ‘they’re young and inexperienced- next year is our year’ excuse with this lot

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Incredible reasoning!
Incredible assumption. Bruno and Dybala matter of when? It will be tough to pull those deals off. How can something be near at completion when the things you based it on haven't even happened yet?

And even if somehow We managed to sign Bruno and Dybala, We still don't know how They'll fit into the system - their play style, their "willingness". Rebuilding is one word We have been using for years, it's becoming a cliche and that's how people get disappointed.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Mourinho's midfield two is very different from Ole's midfield two though. In Mourinho's system if you lose the ball you have to drop back, in Ole's system if you lose the ball the players behind you press and try to win it back without the whole team having to drop 40 yards into their own box.
Its difficult to compare what works or not for Pogba in that type of role in different system. But anyway, I don't trust Pogba willing to play with more discipline and in such restrictive way for over a season at club football, as he has demonstrated he could in France for WC in span of 7 games.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I will bet this life-size statue of a golden mongoose that we will announce 2 players simultaneously. The tea leaves have spoken. I also see the Grim in Potters cup. But that happens every time.

Rish Sawhney

Its difficult to compare what works or not for Pogba in that type of role in different system. But anyway, I don't trust Pogba willing to play with more discipline and in such restrictive way for over a season at club football, as he has demonstrated he could in France for WC in span of 7 games.
One of our deep midfield players always ends up in the box though. I've noticed both Pogba and McTominay getting forward a lot more than under Jose or for France. Its an interesting tactic and I want to see how that works in the league and how we prevent being broken upon all the time.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
One of our deep midfield players always ends up in the box though. I've noticed both Pogba and McTominay getting forward a lot more than under Jose or for France. Its an interesting tactic and I want to see how that works in the league and how we prevent being broken upon all the time.
Perhaps, maybe it would work if we can dominate possession against weaker opponents, and with better defence cover. But against stronger team, where our midfield may get exposed a lot with Pogba getting forward, it probably won't work.

Rish Sawhney

Perhaps, maybe it would work if we can dominate possession against weaker opponents, and with better defence cover. But against stronger team, where our midfield may get exposed a lot with Pogba getting forward, it probably won't work.
You're right but I honestly don't mind it. I'm just excited at the thought of actually enjoying watching our games this season which is the first times since Fergie pretty much at the start of the season. And maybe LvG's second.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
At least wait for the deals to go through before including players that are not even at the club in your fantasy lineups

SoCross

That awkward moment when Dybala and Bruno don’t sign...

I’m as excited as anyone but let’s wait till they are announced!

SER19

Ole will ultimately be judged on results, but he has had by far the clearest vision, best pr and player management approach of anybody post Fergie. A good lesson on why 'getting the club' is actually a useful trait. Add in the youth we have coming through, butt over seeing this, and I've never wanted somebody to achieve more

Web of Bissaka

There’s a really good chance these players will form the hopeful/likely starting 11:

Rashford - 21yrs

Martial - 23yrs

James - 21yrs

Pogba - 26yrs

Andreas - 23yrs

McTominay - 22yrs

Shaw - 24yrs

Lindelof - 24yrs

Maguire - 26yrs

AWB - 21yrs

De Gea - 28yrs

= incredible average starting Xl age of 23.5 years old.
Fixed, only with current players and assuming Maguire is really confirm.

De Gea
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Pogba McTominay
Andreas
Rashford Martial James
Nice team.

cyril C

We need 1 CMF preferably 2. 1 to replace Herrera, 2nd to prepare for days without Pogba, whether this summer, next summer, or suddenly mid of season when his highness start AWOL.

RedB4ndiT

Hope Ole's up to the task. We can't have a new manager every 2-3 years.

Crashoutcassius

Seems like a big if that dybala wants to come and not even a credible source saying there is a bit for fernandes haha. Without those two and with pogba a big favourite to leave next summer our attack looks less exciting and in need of a lot of work

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
To be fair, with the right set up you kind of can.
That set-up would be the holy grail of a director of football. Someone who oversees the development of a squad so that each new manager doesn't mean a complete rebuild. I'm actually liking the way this new United is forming, but if Ole isn't up to the task and gets sacked we can't allow ourselves to just pick the best name available even if that means them bringing in a system that results in needing to replace half the squad.

Donut

I actually think the problem is Pogba or rather his playing position. I don't trust him as one of the 2 midfielders in a 4-2-3-1. His faffing around and lack of defense will cost us. He should play as our 10, but we're getting Dybala for that so...

We (will) have a very good collection of players, but I'm not sure how it will work as a team. But at least I'm excited for the season to start.