Can we judge a player's commitment to the sport from his social media?

el3mel

My post is about 'pressure'. Try reading it again.

Beckham could stand up to the pressure better than Pogba. Good point.
Pogba should stand up the pressure then, much easier than changing his life style.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Giggs use to be in the Hacienda all the time. My god of the caf had been around then the threads would have been incredible.
Exactly, the party lifestyle of footballers has always been prevalent for many decades now.
But pogba changes his hair and dances and takes pictures/videos of it and he has to remain focused on football, 24/7.

Boycott

Didn’t Ferguson have to tell Giggs to choose whether he wanted to be a celebrity or whether he wanted to be a footballer because he was more interested in partying than training?
And that’s as one of the reasons why he sold Lee Sharpe?

I’m sure I’ve read something like that before
Yeah the story goes Giggs and Sharpe were at a house party and somehow Fergie got word of it and stormed in and called it a night.

Giggs for a brief period was Beckham before Beckham. He obviously learnt to keep his private life to family. Literally.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Also Beckham - I think Ferguson was sick of the hype and circus around Beckham, leading to his decision to sell him.

They are footballers first and foremost - they owe all of their celebrity and appeal to the fact they are top players. That should be their number one priority really.
Posting on social media doesn’t indicate that football isn’t their number one priority.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Nobody is offended, it’s just lazy critique done to sensationalise headlines in order to grab headlines/clicks.
It’s representative of the lack of critical thinking, and it almost always involves United.

It’s just annoying when our own fans can’t see the wood for the trees and join in.
I haven't sensationalised anything. I've wondered whether he has been too distracted. I haven't written him off as a player, I haven't said he outright doesn't have any hunger in him whatsoever and I haven't suggested he's some sort of Depay character who doesn't give a feck.

I've just wondered whether he has prioritised bettering his form as much as he should. There is nothing sensationalist in it. Gary Neville/Garth Crooks will use derogatory words like "embarassing" and such to grab headlines/clicks. I've done none of that.

RedDevilUnited369

The problem with social media is it gives mainstream media their best angle to sentationise for headlines and is even better click bait across the interwebs.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Absolutely not. The amount of focus that’s put on players social media presence is ridiculous. Pogba seems to be the biggest victim of all. Posting pictures and dancing videos does NOT mean you aren’t committed to the sport.

You don’t need to be an angry Irish man who spends his spare time sitting in the corner of the pub by yourself to be effective on the field.

There are many possibilities as to why Pogs isn’t performing to the level we know he can, but social media is not on that list.
What does being Irish have to do with it? :lol:

Skills

Snitch
Well obviously not.

It's funny seeing people question a professionals commitment when they're posting from behind a desk at their office. All the while they're probably not even in the top 20th percentile of their profession.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well obviously not.

It's funny seeing people question a professionals commitment when they're posting from behind a desk at their office. All the while they're probably not even in the top 20th percentile of their profession.
Bizzare post - hard work alone doesn't get you in the top 20th percentile.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Social media posts have nothing to do with social media? I appear to have fallen into a parallel universe.
If a player is going out getting pissed and putting pictures on Instagram, it's not the putting pictures on Instagram that's the issue. Obviously.

MichaelRed

If a player is going out getting pissed and putting pictures on Instagram, it's not the putting pictures on Instagram that's the issue. Obviously.
Which is clearly what the OP meant. That we'd judge their commitment by seeing what they're doing outside of the game through the use of social media. Referencing the haircut is a clear example of this?

Dante

Average bang
Pogba should stand up the pressure then, much easier than changing his life style.
Our midfield though. Utterly shocking. This is supposed to be our best trio and City are playing with a second string team and we're getting outrun very easily in midfield. Herrera is shocking and Pogba is garbage.

I lost hope in seeing Pogba dominating a big game. He's just not a big games player.
So is it easy or not?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's garbage today, but this doesn't change the fact that his life on social media has nothing to do with it.
I'm using social media posts to infer whether he has distractions in his life.

Could it be that he has allowed many distractions (whether its the rap the fashion the haircuts or whatever) to take his focus away from his game? Or is it that he's simply not that good. The latter is also plausible given he was never a 90m player even at Juve.

el3mel

I'm using social media posts to infer whether he has distractions in his life.

Could it be that he has allowed many distractions (whether its the rap the fashion the haircuts or whatever) to take his focus away from his game? Or is it that he's simply not that good. The latter is also plausible given he was never a 90m player even at Juve.
He's just not a big games player imo. He seems to always performs well to great against midtable clubs and any other games but never shows up in big games. Sadly enough when you pay 89m, he should be dominating such games, which is pretty underwhelming.

He has zero excuses today too, with the 4-3-3 everyone crying for is being played.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's just not a big games player imo. He seems to always performs well to great against midtable clubs and any other games but never shows up in big games. Sadly enough when you pay 89m, he should be dominating such games, which is pretty underwhelming.

He has zero excuses today too, with the 4-3-3 everyone crying for is being played.
Maybe. But this season he hasn't been any type of game player.

Dante

Average bang
He's garbage today, but this doesn't change the fact that his life on social media has nothing to do with it.
I'm only talking about him making a show of himself with his hair, and the added pressure that attention-seeking brings.

You're shifting the goalposts and contradicting yourself constantly.

Is is easy for Pogba to stand up to pressure as you claimed, or is it impossible as you claimed a few minutes later?

el3mel

I'm only talking about him making a show of himself with his hair, and the added pressure that attention-seeking brings.

You're shifting the goalposts and contradicting yourself constantly.
I don't know what's your problem.

The thread is talking about social media and its effect on players if he gets distracted by it. I said no relation. The player is garbage because he's garbage. Don't twist it.

If you believe if Pogba closes his accounts and decreased the pressure on him he'll turn to world beater, you're deluded.

Dante

Average bang
I don't know what's your problem.

The thread is talking about social media and its effect on players if he gets distracted by it. I said no relation. The player is garbage because he's garbage. Don't twist it.

If you believe if Pogba closes his accounts and decreased the pressure on him he'll turn to world beater, you're deluded.
You replied to my specific comment about him making a show of himself and then changed the goalposts and contradicted yourself.

He is a world beater. But only when he's not feeling the pressure. Anything he can do to lessen that is a good thing.

el3mel

You replied to my specific comment about him making a show of himself and then changed the goalposts and contradicted yourself.

He is a world beater. But only when he's not feeling the pressure. Anything he can do to lessen that is a good thing.
Are you for real ? you're the one quoted my post from the very start. I was replaying to McGrathsipan and you decided to replay to me. No one was quoting you, mate.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Let's be honest if I didn't make this thread Pogba wouldn't have read it and score 2 goals.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Unless they post videos of them getting smashed the night before a game, or write stuff like "i don't give a feck about football, i'm in this for the easy life :cool:"

Then no