Can you see Diogo Dalot stating a serious claim for the RB-position?

edcunited1878

Well obviously those three but I’m not expecting him to be at that level yet but ultimately to compete at the top that is the level of right back you need or there abouts, from an attacking view point anyway. But even the like of Cash, Trippier and Castagne are better going forward than he is. I think competition for him would be good, and not someone in the mould of Wan Bissaka which is more or less what ten hag has hinted at.
You don't need a RB at that offensive level to compete or win at the top. Dalot is just as good if not better than Cash. RB is providing the width and wide support, with necessary service. Most important thing, Dalot has the work rate and effort up and down the pitch. He has the requiste techincal skills on the ball and can pass. Yes, his crossing isn't always the best, but he can still pass and dribble well.

There's a misconception that you need top top quality players at each position. You need top quality yes, but the consistency and reliability to do you tasks with respect to the greater team is more important than indidvidual quality.

Greck

I read Mendes is trying to get Dalot to Barca, so can see TH buying a RB who will be a starter if Dalot has told him he wants out. He has improved, and has time on his side to get better, but if he does want out, we need to sell in the summer while his value will be higher than forcing him to stay for the extra year.
Too farfetched to even start speculating. His next contract might be his highest career wise. A team with poor finances isn't outbidding us on our own player, even if it's a dream location like Barca. It's a different ballgame when the player is already here. We're a long way from being in danger of losing him.

Last edited:

captaincantona

Looking at Dalot, the talent was clearly there. What was lacking was the coaching, the setup and imo most importantly giving him a proper shot at establishing himself.

see the same mistake we made with Fred. How long did it take us to give him a proper run of games in a settled system? 2 years? VDB etc.

Shit or get off the pot.Utd has not been a place to develop talent or to improve as a player for quite some time now. Hopefully ETH is changing that.

criticalanalysis

Don’t get the ‘he doesn’t offer much going forward’ tag, he’s created loads of chances this season and can take on players with ease at times, he’s only going to get better and he has the personality were after - I trust him and got high hopes for him to be our first choice right back for years to come, just need a solid back up.
You don't need a RB at that offensive level to compete or win at the top. Dalot is just as good if not better than Cash. RB is providing the width and wide support, with necessary service. Most important thing, Dalot has the work rate and effort up and down the pitch. He has the requiste techincal skills on the ball and can pass. Yes, his crossing isn't always the best, but he can still pass and dribble well.

There's a misconception that you need top top quality players at each position. You need top quality yes, but the consistency and reliability to do you tasks with respect to the greater team is more important than indidvidual quality.
He played two really good crosses for Rashford against West Ham. One on the floor (similar to his assist for Bruno against Southampton), which Rashford fluffed/got in the way of Ronaldo and then the header in the air (before the goal), where all Utd fans collectively went 'Wow Rashford can jump and attack a ball?!'.

He actually has good productivity that just isn't finished off. The best thing is that Dalot can still improve because his all around play in the final third isn't that efficient i.e even with his inconsistency there, he's still delivering quality chances. The fact we do not spam the box with crosses and are careful with our final ball i.e not forcing it probably detracts from his actual on the field performance because he's playing within the system.

edcunited1878

He played two really good crosses for Rashford against West Ham. One on the floor (similar to his assist for Bruno against Southampton), which Rashford fluffed/got in the way of Ronaldo and then the header in the air (before the goal), where all Utd fans collectively went 'Wow Rashford can jump and attack a ball?!'.

He actually has good productivity that just isn't finished off. The best thing is that Dalot can still improve because his all around play in the final third isn't that efficient i.e even with his inconsistency there, he's still delivering quality chances. The fact we do not spam the box with crosses and are careful with our final ball i.e not forcing it probably detracts from his actual on the field performance because he's playing within the system.
And United aren't heavily relying on him to create chances from open play and free kicks like TAA or even Reece James. That's been Chelsea's demise to a point where their most creative outlet has been a fullback, and when that fullback regresses the entire team does. A balanced attack is dependent on how the team functions going forward, not just how a fullback operates.

His cutback pass against Southampton also shows his intelligence and working with someone ahead of him like he did with Sancho to get into the space and make the correct pass, let alone execute it.

wangyu

All I can say is I am very surprised at his level this season. If he keeps it up I wouldn’t mind seeing him occupying that spot for years to come

wolvored

Too farfetched to even start speculating. His next contract might be his highest career wise. A team with poor finances isn't outbidding us on our own player, even if it's a dream location like Barca. It's a different ballgame when the player is already here. We're a long way from being in danger of losing him.
He could squash it straight away by telling Mendes to shut it if theres nothing in it. Higher wages doesnt come in it if a player wants to move on.

Greck

He could squash it straight away by telling Mendes to shut it if theres nothing in it. Higher wages doesnt come in it if a player wants to move on.
He has a renewal coming up. It's probably a leverage play. Same as Rashford to Barcelona despite not being eligible as a free agent for another 2 years. Mendes probably wants us to renew with fresh bumper salary rather than pick up our option for next year. At this point do we even lose players unless we want them gone?

edit we don't even lose players we want gone. Yeah we're good.

wolvored

He has a renewal coming up. It's probably a leverage play. Same as Rashford to Barcelona despite not being eligible as a free agent for another 2 years. Mendes probably wants us to renew with fresh bumper salary rather than pick up our option for next year. At this point do we even lose players unless we want them gone?

edit we don't even lose players we want gone. Yeah we're good.
Hopefully your right. Dalot has come on a lot under TH.

Ludens the Red

The wing back roles have advanced to being a critical role due to inside forwards. I know what you’re saying you don’t need eleven world class players to function. But I think Dalot does need to significantly improve his attacking game and his positional play when he gets in the final third. @criticalanalysis has a good point tbf about our system. You can see ten hag wants our wing backs tucked in most of the time. It’s probably for the best because his crossing isn’t great. But there is a noticeable difference between what Shaw and Dalot do when Anthony and Rashford respectively receive the ball on our flanks. I feel Dalot is a little deer in headlights…