Canadian Truck Siege

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
It's amazing how gentle police still are at this point. People leaving now can still do so without any consequences (despite the protest having been considered illegal for a long time now), and protesters are being arrested very calmly and gently.

I don't mind that, of course; it's mostly how it should be. I just really hope this is the new normal, cause it's definitely not how police usually treat illegal protests. (I fully understand people complaining that these protesters appear to be enjoying a lot of privilege here!)

Edit: That's not entirely true apparently. People are allowed to freely leave today, but police might follow up later to lay charges.
i dunno how kind it is to seize and put down pet dogs from trucks to entice them to leave. That seemed really scary to me.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Maybe based on this?

I'm aware of that, but that's not about putting pets down, is it? Or at least, I am interpreting it as meaning that pets will be put up for adoption by others if the owners take no responsibility for them (which seems fair enough to me).

Last edited:

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I'm aware of that, but that's not about petting pets down, is it? Or at least, I am interpreting it as meaning that pets will be put up for adoption by others if the owners take no responsibility for them (which seems fair enough to me).
Course it isn't. It takes a few mental leaps to get to euthanasia, but you can get there if you squint really hard and put that one spare brain cell to strenuous use. If you get arrested they'll take your dog into care>>>>>If you don't make alternative arrangements within 8 days you'll lose possession>>>>>>Dog will then be put into a kennel awaiting adoption>>>>>If kennel becomes overstretched as a result of this policy then care cannot be provided>>>>>>>Dog will be euthanised.

Cut out the string of middlemen and you are left with DJ Jeff's assertion that police threaten to put down protestors pets.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Course it isn't. It takes a few mental leaps to get to euthanasia, but you can get there if you squint really hard and put that one spare brain cell to strenuous use. If you get arrested they'll take your dog into care>>>>>If you don't make alternative arrangements within 8 days you'll lose possession>>>>>>Dog will then be put into a kennel awaiting adoption>>>>>If kennel becomes overstretched as a result of this policy then care cannot be provided>>>>>>>Dog will be euthanised.

Cut out the string of middlemen and you are left with DJ Jeff's assertion that police threaten to put down protestors pets.
:D

I'm trying hard to keep an open mind and give people the benefit of the doubt. But yes. ;)

(Except if there is after all other evidence from today, of course. I have seen most of the CBC's live stream though, and I'd be very surprised. It's really been kids gloves from the police.)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Good. Get them out of there.
Getting there! They've now cleared up Rideau Street and are near the War Memorial. That means that, after a little clean-up, the Byward Market and Rideau Mall can reopen. The former is a popular entertainment area, and the latter is Ottawa's busiest mall, which has been closed the past few weeks because these protesters were misbehaving in there.

Foxbatt

Getting there! They've now cleared up Rideau Street and are near the War Memorial. That means that, after a little clean-up, the Byward Market and Rideau Mall can reopen. The former is a popular entertainment area, and the latter is Ottawa's busiest mall, which has been closed the past few weeks because these protesters were misbehaving in there.
I hope so too. There were white supremacy and anti semitism signs in the protests in NB too.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
i dunno how kind it is to seize and put down pet dogs from trucks to entice them to leave. That seemed really scary to me.
Any evidence for this yet? As @Ekkie Thump posted, this is what the police had announced:

And this is an example of what they're actually doing today:

What do you have?

RedDevilQuebecois

Whoever typed "at gunpoint" in the title for the New York Times has to get sacked by tonight. Do those fools even watch videos on the ground from CBC, CTV, Radio-Canada, TVA, Global TV and so on? That's not even saying reporters from various newspapers on the ground. None of them saw anyone having a gun pointed at him/her, and we have been watching this stuff live for the last couple of days now.:mad::mad::mad:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Whoever typed "at gunpoint" in the title for the New York Times has to get sacked by tonight. Do those fools even watch videos on the ground from CBC, CTV, Radio-Canada, TVA, Global TV and so on? That's not even saying reporters from various newspapers on the ground. None of them saw anyone having a gun pointed at him/her, and we have been watching this stuff live for the last couple of days now.:mad::mad::mad:
Well, at least I'll understand a bit better if another poster comes in here with some idiotic, unsubstantiated 'fact'. But in this case, given the super detailed live coverage plus the streaming from protesters there's really no excuse for this kind of reporting from the NYT.

It's also interesting that Ottawa Police are tweeting about events constantly as they unfold, explaining who (protesters or them) did what and why - and then you can see in the live feed that they're right (I've actually been verifying a few times). They are really being extremely careful with their actions and justification here. I'm thinking that's probably at least in part on political instruction, to make very clear that the Emergency Act is not being used to level lawless violence on people.

My understanding is also that using this Act really has been quite useful, as otherwise police would not have been able to set up checkpoints around downtown, or be joined by so many officers from other departments and forces, also from outside Ontario - both of which are key to the success of what they're doing here.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

So many cars and trucks towed. I'll never get why a trucker wouldn't just leave, just before police reach their truck. At that point, leaving doesn't change anything for the protest anymore. They'll still follow up with charges later, but at least you don't lose (yes, lose!) your truck...

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The four reasons why the government needed the Emergency Act to deal with this protest:

I get that it looks a little overblown to use this last-resort act to deal with a protest of fairly limited size (just a couple of blocks in downtown Ottawa), but there does not seem to have been another option to give Ottawa police the ability to deal with this. So should Canada need something to be created between regular business and the Emergency Act for these kinds of situations, or should the Emergency Act be considered less 'out there'?

Foxbatt

The four reasons why the government needed the Emergency Act to deal with this protest:

I get that it looks a little overblown to use this last-resort act to deal with a protest of fairly limited size (just a couple of blocks in downtown Ottawa), but there does not seem to have been another option to give Ottawa police the ability to deal with this. So should Canada need something to be created between regular business and the Emergency Act for these kinds of situations, or should the Emergency Act be considered less 'out there'?
This would not have been sustainable for so long without the support of the Tories. If they had come out and condemned the siege and blockade this would have collapsed.
I feel the emergency act is good enough.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I live in a village on the North West Coast of the Republic of Ireland with an official population of 239. There is a very prominent banner in the village proclaiming solidarity with the truckers protest in Canada.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I live in a village on the North West Coast of the Republic of Ireland with an official population of 239. There is a very prominent banner in the village proclaiming solidarity with the truckers protest in Canada.
Any confederate flags?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Canada’s black helicopters…

Freakin' North Bay! Do people know how far away that is? Is if there aren't any anonymous airstrips closer to Ottawa. :lol:

North Bay seems to be the set for a lot of cheap Christmas movies though. Strong Franco-Ontarian community as well. It's definitely got stuff going for it!
How's the canicide coming along?
The dogs I guess? I suppose its extent was limited to one post on here. Pretty mild, dogs have suffered worse in history.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
From the outside, the Emergency, freezing their bank accounts and *others'* bank accounts looks like an insanely repressive move, that was done by the central govt after local police forces mollycoddled their favoured protestors for a few weeks.

It's bad, but it's not exceptional - left/indigenous protestors have got worse treatment, but this time its against the small-business right.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
From the outside, the Emergency, freezing their bank accounts and *others'* bank accounts looks like an insanely repressive move, that was done by the central govt after local police forces mollycoddled their favoured protestors for a few weeks.

It's bad, but it's not exceptional - left/indigenous protestors have got worse treatment, but this time its against the small-business right.
Yeah, I'm not sure the money part was really necessary; I wouldn't be able to explain what difference that made to last weekend's operations.

How is this the small-business right though? I'd say it's more a combination of the libertarian right (primarily) with conspiracy adherents.

redfromcanada

I've been a member of this board for a long time but very rarely post.

That being said, I feel compelled to do so here to refute a lot of the nonsense that is spouted here.

Firstly, I have personally attended the protests with my son and I have never been part of a gathering that has been more welcoming and filled with respect that this convoy. I met people from all different backgrounds and ages I agree with their truckers position for the simple reason that it makes absolutely no sense to enact a vaccination mandate now after TWO years when most truckers are vaxxed and they provide as close to zero risk for transmission due to the nature of their jobs. Of course, leaders like Trudeau and those in the government have little knowledge of this since they don't associate with these types of people and as such, cannot formulate a coherent and logical policy in this instance. (For the record, I worked for the federal government from 2013-15 and can see why this is the case). This disconnect is why many people are angry with Trudeau and his government, given all of his recent scandals that have gone unpunished.

Some of you may ask then, how does he get re-elected? It is a combination of the electoral system where someone can form a government with only 32% of the popular vote resulting from vote splitting among parties, and low information voters from all ages, ethnic and racial groups, which are numerous in this country, where people will vote for someone based on their image rather than their policies.

Secondly, the nonsense that is reported on by the mainstream media is also dubious at best and insidious at worst. One can slag off the independent media all they want but the proof is in the video that many of them have taken. There are hours of coverage from these people that shows similar experiences to mine. One glaring example of misreporting is the incident of the Confederate and Nazi flags. Those holding those flags were asked to leave immediately after their unfurling and they were also hiding their identities under balaclavas which made them rather dubious characters to be begin with. Was this ever reported by the mainstream media or mentioned in parliament? A resounding NO! I'm sure that the convoy which was organized by a Jewish man and Metis woman would certainly want to be associated with such symbols, surely.

Thirdly, the enactment of the Emergency Act is absurd and becoming of a leadership that doesn't know what they are doing. This is designed to be a last resort used to stop violent, terroristic threats, not peaceful protests. This could have been all avoided if the government would have discussed the issues with the protesters rather than being belligerent and "all-knowing".

For those who live in Ottawa, it must be inconvenient for you although you must consider that many of you benefit from being employed by the federal government (such as the young girl that organized the counter-protest) which have been living in a bubble separate from the rest of society, being able to keep their jobs and not subject to stupid policies that mandated lockdowns of small businesses.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I mean, the U.S will never be parted from money they believe is theirs :lol: I was refering more to the calls about 1st amendment rights.
:lol: fair enough mate. Yeah we have it a little different up here when it comes to free speech. You can say what you want but you can get in a bit of trouble for it. This one is a good example: https://thecjn.ca/perspectives/opin...t-your-ward-news-hurts-free-speech-in-canada/

While they make some fair points, it is also worth noting that some people just cannot help themselves and that is usually a good indicator of the original approach being correct: https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/editor-o...-back-in-jail-after-breaking-parole-1.5791525

redfromcanada

I take it you've never heard of FATCA? That shit is enforced worldwide.
Enforcement is done only with friendly jurisdictions with the US. That is why many rich US citizens will take their money to places with no economic or legal treaties with the US.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Enforcement is done only with friendly jurisdictions with the US. That is why many rich US citizens will take their money to places with no economic or legal treaties with the US.
I've seen the list. It's a fair few number of countries but there's only about three that I would feel safe about investing in, let alone having my money go through their banking systems.

Interestingly, most of the countries that haven't got a FATCA IGA would correspond to a similar list I had a great deal of fun with a few years ago: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/good-countries-vs-bad-countries.447982/

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

That being said, I feel compelled to do so here to refute a lot of the nonsense that is spouted here.

Firstly, I have personally attended the protests with my son and I have never been part of a gathering that has been more welcoming and filled with respect that this convoy. I met people from all different backgrounds and ages I agree with their truckers position for the simple reason that it makes absolutely no sense to enact a vaccination mandate now after TWO years when most truckers are vaxxed and they provide as close to zero risk for transmission due to the nature of their jobs. Of course, leaders like Trudeau and those in the government have little knowledge of this since they don't associate with these types of people and as such, cannot formulate a coherent and logical policy in this instance. (For the record, I worked for the federal government from 2013-15 and can see why this is the case). This disconnect is why many people are angry with Trudeau and his government, given all of his recent scandals that have gone unpunished.

Some of you may ask then, how does he get re-elected? It is a combination of the electoral system where someone can form a government with only 32% of the popular vote resulting from vote splitting among parties, and low information voters from all ages, ethnic and racial groups, which are numerous in this country, where people will vote for someone based on their image rather than their policies.

Secondly, the nonsense that is reported on by the mainstream media is also dubious at best and insidious at worst. One can slag off the independent media all they want but the proof is in the video that many of them have taken. There are hours of coverage from these people that shows similar experiences to mine. One glaring example of misreporting is the incident of the Confederate and Nazi flags. Those holding those flags were asked to leave immediately after their unfurling and they were also hiding their identities under balaclavas which made them rather dubious characters to be begin with. Was this ever reported by the mainstream media or mentioned in parliament? A resounding NO! I'm sure that the convoy which was organized by a Jewish man and Metis woman would certainly want to be associated with such symbols, surely.

Thirdly, the enactment of the Emergency Act is absurd and becoming of a leadership that doesn't know what they are doing. This is designed to be a last resort used to stop violent, terroristic threats, not peaceful protests. This could have been all avoided if the government would have discussed the issues with the protesters rather than being belligerent and "all-knowing".

For those who live in Ottawa, it must be inconvenient for you although you must consider that many of you benefit from being employed by the federal government (such as the young girl that organized the counter-protest) which have been living in a bubble separate from the rest of society, being able to keep their jobs and not subject to stupid policies that mandated lockdowns of small businesses.
Nobody is saying the protests weren't fun for the protesters, that people didn't have a right to hold these opinions, or that people can't hold protests on these issues. The idea that this was strongly racist has also been refuted here many times. The problem in Ottawa was that people were occupying a section of downtown, including major roads, and causing business to close - for weeks on end. No protesters have the right to do that for that kind of period of time, no matter the subject. You protest and leave, or if you want to do a long-term protest, you set up camp in a way that allows life around you to (mostly) go on. Since these protesters weren't willing to do that, police intervention was unavoidable.

redfromcanada

When I travelled to Ottawa from Toronto, I didn't have that much difficulty getting around the city. On Wellington, lanes were kept open to go both directions so traffic wasn't cut off completely. Furthermore, this is the risk that occurs when one lives in the capital city of a country. To be clear, a good leader wouldn't ever have gotten to this point. They would have dealt with the protesters head-on and dealt with the problem rather than run away like our mighty leader. That is the problem that I saw first hand when I worked in the federal government. Everything is done through political optics rather than in a problem solving mode. All the political parties up here play these games.

Unfortunately, those in all levels of government now look for what they can get out of their roles for themselves rather than being true public servants which they should be.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

So is your issue that there is a mandate in general or that it was late, and therefore in your view, purely for optics?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
When I travelled to Ottawa from Toronto, I didn't have that much difficulty getting around the city. On Wellington, lanes were kept open to go both directions so traffic wasn't cut off completely. Furthermore, this is the risk that occurs when one lives in the capital city of a country. To be clear, a good leader wouldn't ever have gotten to this point. They would have dealt with the protesters head-on and dealt with the problem rather than run away like our mighty leader. That is the problem that I saw first hand when I worked in the federal government. Everything is done through political optics rather than in a problem solving mode. All the political parties up here play these games.

Unfortunately, those in all levels of government now look for what they can get out of their roles for themselves rather than being true public servants which they should be.
Not sure how you managed, cause there were clearly trucks blocking entire lanes of streets around there. Also, I'm sure people living around downtown have accepted regular demonstrations being part of their lives, but those don't normally last days (or rather: weeks) while coming with incessant noise (the honking), harrassment of residents, and the closing of shops and the downtown mall. That's just unacceptable for that period of time.

I do agree that the protesters never should have been able to set up shop like that - although for that, Ottawa Police is to blame, not the federal government, since the feds don't police downtown Ottawa. All the same, I would also agree that all politicians (feds and provincial) have just been using this to score points (Libs, NDP, Cons). No-one tried to start a real discussion, look for reconciliation or anything like that. (As I said on some previous page, calls to 'lower the temperature' now serve exclusively to say that the caller's viewpoint should get more attention.) That definitely didn't help. And I would also agree that the Emergency Act seems like a rather heavy-handed tool to use. It seems to be the only one available above the level of regular operations though, so I don't blame the feds for using it. But maybe Canada needs something in-between.

But I would say: I work in government, and where I have been, I have (mostly - there are always exceptions) been surrounded with very capable people (from entry-level staff to deputy ministers) that are highly motivated and work very hard. You're obviously beholden to what politicians allow you to do, but then that's the reality of government; otherwise you'd almost be in a kind of deep state situation (bureaucrats running the state behind the politicians' backs).

Atheist

Very hard to take the protests seriously when the likes of Pat King, Tamara Lich and a bunch of separatists from Alberta are the face of it.

I do think invoking the emergency act was overkill but the provincial and local law enforcement were clearly failing in their duties. Doug Ford was completely AWOL like usual - you’d think Ottawa wasn’t in Ontario. I do see hypocrisy from Trudeau considering how his government has sympathized with protestors in other countries (e.g India’s farmer protests) and didn’t want to the state to stop it. Maybe it’s a lesson they’ll learn not to get involved in other states’ affairs.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Very hard to take the protests seriously when the likes of Pat King, Tamara Lich and a bunch of separatists from Alberta are the face of it.

I do think invoking the emergency act was overkill but the provincial and local law enforcement were clearly failing in their duties. Doug Ford was completely AWOL like usual - you’d think Ottawa wasn’t in Ontario. I do see hypocrisy from Trudeau considering how his government has sympathized with protestors in other countries (e.g India’s farmer protests) and didn’t want to the state to stop it. Maybe it’s a lesson they’ll learn not to get involved in other states’ affairs.
I think Ford was trying to appease two sets of voters: the centrists that he needs to survive this year's election (by opposing the protests in words) and his base further to the right (by actually doing nothing).

Also, I deeply dislike how Trudeau said at the start that these people had no cause, as he just won the elections promising restrictions and mandates. If that's the logic, the Franco-Ontarians shouldn't have opposed Ford either when he proposed cut in their services at the start of his government. I'll never accept that logic.

I also don't get why the federal government won't propose a plan for how the restrictions under their jurisdiction can gradually be reduced, provided hospitalization numbers drop sufficiently and so on. What would be the harm in doing that? I'm sure it would be popular with their voters as well.

All the same, as you say, this wasn't a kind of popular uprising. It was rather fringe, certainly the most visible parts of the protests in Ottawa, Windsor, and Coutts - as demonstrated also by truckers unions disagreeing with the convoy already while it was still just driving to Ottawa.

Foxbatt

Not sure how you managed, cause there were clearly trucks blocking entire lanes of streets around there. Also, I'm sure people living around downtown have accepted regular demonstrations being part of their lives, but those don't normally last days (or rather: weeks) while coming with incessant noise (the honking), harrassment of residents, and the closing of shops and the downtown mall. That's just unacceptable for that period of time.

I do agree that the protesters never should have been able to set up shop like that - although for that, Ottawa Police is to blame, not the federal government, since the feds don't police downtown Ottawa. All the same, I would also agree that all politicians (feds and provincial) have just been using this to score points (Libs, NDP, Cons). No-one tried to start a real discussion, look for reconciliation or anything like that. (As I said on some previous page, calls to 'lower the temperature' now serve exclusively to say that the caller's viewpoint should get more attention.) That definitely didn't help. And I would also agree that the Emergency Act seems like a rather heavy-handed tool to use. It seems to be the only one available above the level of regular operations though, so I don't blame the feds for using it. But maybe Canada needs something in-between.

But I would say: I work in government, and where I have been, I have (mostly - there are always exceptions) been surrounded with very capable people (from entry-level staff to deputy ministers) that are highly motivated and work very hard. You're obviously beholden to what politicians allow you to do, but then that's the reality of government; otherwise you'd almost be in a kind of deep state situation (bureaucrats running the state behind the politicians' backs).
Agree with you. If the Provincial Governments had taken action and a unified action none of this would have happened.
I am not a fan of Trudeau and he has messed the action against the pandemic for sure but the system of government in Canada does hamper a federal action.
The Americans closed their borders and there is no point in the Canada not doing the same for non vaccinated as it would create more problems.
It's funny that in the beginning when the PM wanted to have a uniform action most of The Premiers refused.
This is the same with the vaccination record too. The federal government should have had a federal vaccination record with a national QR code instead of provinces doing their own thing.
It has taken too long for the police to put a stop to these things.
I have to say that they were very brutal compared to this when they cleared the First Nations protest against Shale Gas exploration in their reserve land. They were much more peaceful and didn't have any offending flags or signs. They were not blocking any roads either.
Every Canadian has a right to protest and go anywhere they want to go but it's highly inconsiderate of them to go and disrupt the life of other Canadians who also have the right to live a peaceful life without getting it disrupted by others.