Television Cancelling shows after one season

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
It was two seasons but i was gutted when they cut Marco Polo from Netflix.
Ah shit, I forgot about that. It wasn't a brilliant show or anything but I really liked it. There just aren't enough high-budget TV shows with cool historic settings :(

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Easy, don't watch it until it's all out. I think Sex Education is one of few that I started watching that wasn't finished already. Just wait with watching show until they are few season out, or they are rated good enough that you are sure they won't be cancelled.
Surely everything will get cancelled if everyone starts doing this?

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Worse when a show gets to the end of S4 of an announced 5 season arc and gets cancelled so no last season. Ridiculous.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Worse when a show gets to the end of S4 of an announced 5 season arc and gets cancelled so no last season. Ridiculous.
Happens too much these days. The Expanse almost cancelled before Amazon cared to step up was a close one.

Raised by Wolves had interesting season in place which could conclude the mystery of the whole planet revealed. Cancelled.

Project Bluebook season 3 looks already dead in the water.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Glad I didn't bother watching the rest of that Resident Evil after the first episode. After so much hype about it was on the 'coming soon' list for ages without a release date, couldn't think of a more anticipated show. Just remembered about it, looked it up to see it was Binned after 8 episodes, i'm not surprised.

Sylar

Netflix cancelled Warrior Nun which is annoying after season 2 came out and was highly rated and viewed.
Don't think it was too expensive either

Annoying AF

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
One criticism of netflix is precisely this. The OA i thought was really good and that was binned. Youd swear netflix expects a squid game out of every series.
I didn't think much of season 2 and likely wouldn't have bothered with season 3 - maybe

Bert_

I was fuming when Amazon cancelled Night Sky even though you could tell they were never that invested in it. Never really advertised it or anything.

Still, ended on a big reveal which lead to a ton of unanswered questions :(

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I was fuming when Amazon cancelled Night Sky even though you could tell they were never that invested in it. Never really advertised it or anything.

Still, ended on a big reveal which lead to a ton of unanswered questions :(
That's what drove me to make this thread.

Deserved another season at least.

Dr. StrangeHate

Happens too much these days. The Expanse almost cancelled before Amazon cared to step up was a close one.

Raised by Wolves had interesting season in place which could conclude the mystery of the whole planet revealed. Cancelled.

Project Bluebook season 3 looks already dead in the water.
Expanse has been cancelled again. Only shows with established IPs are worth watching as they won't be cancelled no matter how bad they are. The surprising thing is I don't get why Stargate hasn't been resurrected as that for sure has a built in audience.

Lastwolf

It's just raw math,

The most expensive season of any TV show (if excluding the pilot episode or normalizing it), is the "next season". The standard TV contract is 7 years, everyone gets a pay bump every year, so the cost of production automatically goes up for that alone. Ratings with some ultra rare exceptions tend to go down over time the average sweet spot for a show is 4/5 seasons, after that it becomes too expensive for it's declining performance.

Game of Thrones was a smash hit that so much so that it's initial hit ratings increased over time which almost never happens, the Budget was ~60mil, by the final season, that would have barely paid the principle cast as five actors where on 1mil per epsiode.

Shows getting cancelled after one season means that the performance it currently got was too low to make the money back already and they don't have any faith that's it's one of the 5 shows ever to grow an organic audience. Breaking Bad is the only high profile recent one I can think of that had massive audience post first season and they thank word of mouth and piracy. With big streaming and the content treadmill, if you don't make first season you don't get time to build as they already have 3 similar dogshit shows to try next week.

Expanse has been cancelled again. Only shows with established IPs are worth watching as they won't be cancelled no matter how bad they are. The surprising thing is I don't get why Stargate hasn't been resurrected as that for sure has a built in audience.
Tbf the Expanse has also exhausted the source material iirc, the next book is like 20 years(?) in the future, rather than try and grey up the cast, or bullshit filler arc for 10 years, they are cancelling it for now but mumbling about a return some time later on, maybe.

Established IPs are also a risk Stargate has had a few failed reboot/continuances that lasted a season or got shit canned in the preproduction phase, the built in audience is cool and all but they are very hard to please and diminishing in nature as IP fatigue had set in, I think that's why it's on hold for now. Although, I swore I heard something was in development a while ago.

Last edited:

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I didn't think much of season 2 and likely wouldn't have bothered with season 3 - maybe
I thought it was pretty good bar the octopus and talking trees.

I would guess what happened is loads of people started season 2 but stopped watching after a couple of episodes.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Stargate can consider itself a lucky show in this regard. 10 seasons of SG-1 plus two TV movies, then Stargate Atlantis fully concluded. Something could go wrong during days of Stargate Universe which had different tone and presentation. Totally new Stargate show with fresh characters could easily be made with some effort to get rights of material for the sole audience reason you've mentioned indeed and it would be easier than 10 years ago when Joe Flanigan tried to buy it for the right price.

As for The Expanse, I have a feeling in 5 years we'll see something developing. Ty Franck have past experience in reviving it and he's stating he got some new stories to tell. Here's hoping...

Bert_

That's what drove me to make this thread.

Deserved another season at least.
I was holding out hope for another network/streaming service to pick it up but there's not been a peep since it was cancelled! I've given up hope now.

J.K. Simmons isn't having much luck lately being the leading guy in TV shows. Counterpart was pretty good too and that got cancelled after 2 seasons. At least they got the heads up it was going to be cancelled so they could at least give the show a conclusion (even if a bit rushed towards the end).

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Shamtaram - apple TV.

Loved the book, and had waited almost 20 years for a movie or TV show, then it finally arrives and gets cancelled after 1 season :rolleyes: