Film Candyman (2020)

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Well that looks fecking dreadful.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
One of the best horror movies ever made. No need to remake/reboot/make a sequel. Just leave it.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Why remake it? Nobody is replacing Tony Todd.
I think he’s in this... possibly horribly de-aged.

Loved the original, like most of what Jordan Peele has produced and think Yaya Abdul Mateen is a very watchable actor, so I’ll give this a chance, but I agree the trailers not hugely encouraging.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Happy to see Yahya in a leading role, but this does look wank.

Sweet Square

The original 90's trailer is of course a million times better

Not sure what it about modern horror trailers but they always end up giving me a headache. Still even if this does end up being shite, it will hopefully mean the original will get short re release in cinemas (The only positive to get from all of these pointless remakes).

Dante

Average bang
The original is one of the only horror films that I've ever actually found scary.

This remake looks far too glossy.

Hoof the ball

Thing about the original that was so good was that it essentially subverted the genre. It ignored all the laws of the genre and was tense without ceasing. It took that feeling of dread; that tension, and just let it hang for as long as possible. I re-watched it tonight and it was just as good as the first time I saw it.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Thing about the original that was so good was that it essentially subverted the genre. It ignored all the laws of the genre and was tense without ceasing. It took that feeling of dread; that tension, and just let it hang for as long as possible. I re-watched it tonight and it was just as good as the first time I saw it.
Only ever seen the original maybe 20 years ago so will watch it again soon. Are the sequels worth bothering with? I’m guessing not.

Balljy

I've just realised that this is produced by Jordan Peele. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Not really. They doubled up on the gore and any decent subtext and subtlety is more or less stripped from the sequel. I'd skip it if I were you.
Thanks, will just watch the original again. Tony Todd played the part perfectly even though Eddie Murphy was the original pick for Candyman. It was also based around Liverpool originally according to the book. No shame in swiping this from Wikipedia as was just reading up on the original after reading this thread.

Hoof the ball

Thanks, will just watch the original again. Tony Todd played the part perfectly even though Eddie Murphy was the original pick for Candyman. It was also based around Liverpool originally according to the book. No shame in swiping this from Wikipedia as was just reading up on the original after reading this thread.
Liverpool?! Can you imagine?

New Line Cinema presents.....

Sweetie-Lad.

Oldyella

Thought that was a pretty good trailer, interested to watch it.

Dante

Average bang
I think this hits the nail on the head.

The trailer for the remake makes it look like there are lots of jump scares that release the tension. Possibly a case of Jordan Peele believing his own hype.

Sweet Square

Trailers are normally made by the marketing team, right ? I'm always seeing directors complain about how shit trailers for their own films are.