Captain Hindsight : Fix one transfer mistake per summer

Skills

Snitch
Swap one of the players we signed, for a player our rival/other team signed in the same transfer window for the same fee or less. All the other transfers summer remain the same.
Thread inspired by @BrilliantOrange who pointed out all the other CBs that moved for less money in the same summer we signed Lindelof for £40m.

Summer 2013: Christian Eriksen instead of Marouane Fellaini. Automatically make Spurs (one of our top 4 rivals) weaker as well. for years to come.
Summer 2014: Toni Kroos instead of Angel Di Maria. feck Louis Van Gaal's veto.
Summer 2015 - Kante instead of Morgan Schneiderlin. Nobody had even heard of Kante apart from Leicester who signed him for £6m. He goes on to star in two consecutive title wins for Leicester and Chelsea. Schneiderlin drifts into nothing. We might have had an outside shot at the title Leicester won because the points total was that low - even with our disgraceful goals total which I haven't addressed at all so far.
Summer 2016: Sign Mane instead of Mkhitaryan.
Summer 2017: Skriniar instead of Lindelof
Summer 2018 : Rodri instead of Fred (moved to Atletico that summer for £20m).
Summer 2019 :
Summer 2020 :
Summer 2021 :

Obviously we still look like a complete mess, but how much better could we have been?

Skills

Snitch
Nice one!

Just for the sake of the rules (rules help control the fun!), are we bound to only change a transfer with someone in (more or less) the same position?

Yeah, you can all just filter on Transfermarkt based on the fee right :)
It doesn't have to be the same position. I did Toni Kroos for Di Maria - but i think in later years, if you want the teams to make sense you'll probably end up doing like for likes.

TheReligion

Abusive
Nice one!

Just for the sake of the rules (rules help control the fun!), are we bound to only change a transfer with someone in (more or less) the same position?

Yeah, you can all just filter on Transfermarkt based on the fee right :)
Yeah Transfermarkt has it at £31m so call it 30.

I assumed accurately was needed if we are working within the budgets the club had?

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Yeah Transfermarkt has it at £31m so call it 30.

I assumed accurately was needed if we are working within the budgets the club had?
Yeah agree, but Skriniar cost more money than Lindelof still right, so the point stands? Link HERE

Or am I misunderstand you? :)

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Mane Vs Mkhi was what immediately came to mind.

Not for same fee or less as per OP.

Says the guy pointlessly posting on a football forum. I guess we all have time since we are here.
From what I find HERE Donny was 35.1 million pounds, where Bellingham was 22.5...

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Summer 2019.

20m for Trippier instead of the 50m spent on Wan Bisakka (assuming Atleti are a rival in the CL)

Skills

Snitch
I was going to say Dias over Maguire, but Cancelo over AWB wins for that year.
I think Cancelo cost more. The transfer was valued at £60m which was a bit farcical (Danilo was valued at £30m).

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah agree, but Skriniar cost more money than Lindelof still right, so the point stands? Link HERE

Or am I misunderstand you? :)
No Skriniar was less (just).

Interesting looking at that link actually in terms of CB moves that summer.

Rudiger
Skriniar
Bastoni
Sule

All went for less than Lindelof.

On the flip side I had no idea Davinson Sanchez was £37m.

b82REZ

I think Cancelo cost more. The transfer was valued at £60m which was a bit farcical (Danilo was valued at £30m).
Even if he cost a 100m he is such a huge upgrade on AWB it'd seem inconsequential.

Also when comparing the two 60m seems like a steal when AWB cost 50.

Skills

Snitch
No Skriniar was less (just).

Interesting looking at that link actually in terms of CB moves that summer.

Rudiger
Skriniar
Bastoni
Sule

All went for less than Lindelof.

On the flip side I had no idea Davinson Sanchez was £37m.
Maguire as well for £12m only. I didn't know he was that cheap from Hull

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
In 2015 we also paid 16m for Damian when van Dijk was moving for 13m. Granted different defensive positions but VVD had already proved himself quality at Celtic both domestically and in Europe

Last edited:

b82REZ

Not necessarily a transfer, and there is more to the story; but sticking with Martial rather than telling Halaand he would be first choice.

Disclaimer: I do like Martial.

Skills

Snitch
I'm 2015 we also paid 16m for Damian when van Dijk was moving for 13m. Granted different defensive positions but VVD had already proved himself quality at Celtic both domestically and in Europe
Alderweireld could've been the other option if you wanted a more instant impact.

RedDevil@84

Not necessarily a transfer, and there is more to the story; but sticking with Martial rather than telling Halaand he would be first choice.
This is news to me. Did Haaland want to come to us, but we said we can only give him Martial's backup role?

TheReligion

Abusive
@BrilliantOrange

Some other interesting deals that window which worked out very well..

Gnaby to Bayern - £7m
Schick to Roma - Loan
Richarlison to Watford - £11m
Robertson to Liverpool - £8m
Saint-Maximum to - £9m
Jota to Wolves - Loan
Theo Hernandez to Real - £21m
Neves to Wolves - £16m

Obviously United weren’t the only team to mess up. Chelsea bombed massively this window themselves.

TheReligion

Abusive
@BrilliantOrange

Gnaby to Bayern - £7m
Schick to Roma - Loan
Saint-Maximum to - £9m
Jota to Wolves - Loan
Neves to Wolves - £16m

Obviously United weren’t the only team to mess up. Chelsea bombed massively this window themselves.
Look at this lot @Skills

b82REZ

This is news to me. Did Haaland want to come to us, but we said we can only give him Martial's backup role?
Like I said there is FAR more to it. Mainly we wouldn't agree to the release clause (understandably). But at the time Tony was on fire and it was reported Halaand wanted assurances he'd be first choice and we wouldn't commit, which again is kind of understandable.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
2021/22: Sign Bruno Guimaraes

Skills

Snitch
@BrilliantOrange

Gnaby to Bayern - £7m
Schick to Roma - Loan
Saint-Maximum to - £9m
Jota to Wolves - Loan
Neves to Wolves - £16m

Oh yeah for sure. Chelsea let KDB & Salah go for almost feck all- the two best players, of the teams who've competed at the top of the PL for the best part of the last 5 years for bargain prices. Both of those decisions completely flipped the fortunes of Liverpool & Man City, and in turn Chelsea's own since then.

CarbonStoolBites

2000: Sign 12 years old Messi instead of Barthez.
We get the future GOAT, and play literally anyone other than Barthez in goal.
Sorted.

CM

Thiago instead of Fellaini is an obvious one for the 2013 season. Lewandowski instead of Falcao for the following one.

Salah for Lukaku in 2017? Just about anybody for the £80m Maguire cost in 2019. Hakimi instead of van de Beek 2020.

Varun1

Thiago instead of Fellaini is an obvious one for the 2013 season. Lewandowski instead of Falcao for the following one.

Salah for Lukaku in 2017? Just about anybody for the £80m Maguire cost in 2019. Hakimi instead of van de Beek 2020.
I always wonder what would have been had Lewa's move to Blackburn actually happened ... Highly likely he would have moved to us after that I reckon. But maybe he wouldn't have developed into the same WC striker.

Giggsy13

2013 - Eriksen instead of Fellaini

2016 - Kante instead of Pogba

2018 - anyone instead of Fred

2019 - Dias instead of Maguire

2020 - Grealish instead of VDB

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I feel like some of these are disregarding the reports that we actually wanted/tried to sign these targets.

We wanted Grealish in 2020, but when they stayed up and the asking price doubled - Ole had to settle for Plan B (Van de Beek)

We wanted Haaland and Bellingham but they both chose Dortmund over us because they knew it would be better for their development.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
2013 - Eriksen instead of Fellaini

2016 - Kante instead of Pogba

2018 - anyone instead of Fred

2019 - Dias instead of Maguire

2020 - Grealish instead of VDB
Grealish was 100M...

Højbjerg instead of VDB

Last edited: