Captain Wayne Rooney

Treble

They were nowhere close to him.
Same with Rooney. I'm not blaming him for trying to help in that situation. The team was in a mess and Rooney was trying to be everywhere on the pitch. By doing so, however, he contributed to the mess. Still, Rooney didn't have a bad game at all and he isn't that bad as a captain either. Right now there isn't a player who would be a better captain.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Rooney getting blasted for sprinting 60 yards to try to prevent a goal. Would it have been better for the team if he hadn't tried?

Agenda posting at its finest in this thread.

Aussie_Red_Devil

Your point would be valid if there were no defenders around the Leicester striker. Sprinting from the center of the pitch was pointless.
Lol there were no defenders that's why he had a free run on goal. Rooney obviously seen the Blackett was gonna get pulled out to the wing all there was no cover so he tried his best to get back there. I really can't see the problem with that.

Aussie_Red_Devil

Rooney getting blasted for sprinting 60 yards to try to prevent a goal. Would it have been better for the team if he hadn't tried?

Agenda posting at its finest in this thread.
It's getting out of hand IMO. I'll prob regret saying this but imagine if Ronaldo tried to sprint back like that to help the defence. He would be hailed a hero and people would talk about how he was showing passion.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It's getting out of hand IMO. I'll prob regret saying this but imagine if Ronaldo tried to sprint back like that to help the defence. He would be hailed a hero and people would talk about how he was showing passion.
He was hailed as a hero (not hero probably, just a damn fine footballer) for being selfish, staying up front, being there when it matters and scores goals that wins the match. Not because he's running all over the pitch trying to be everywhere at the same time.

Aussie_Red_Devil

I could argue that it's better for him to stay up front and let his teammates deal with it
You keep talking about letting his team mates deal with it. Who do you want to deal with it? When the goal is scored Rooney is the closest to the ball meaning his decision to track back was justified.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You keep talking about letting his team mates deal with it. Who do you want to deal with it? When the goal is scored Rooney is the closest to the ball meaning his decision to track back was justified.
Those who's job is to deal with it.

I know it sounds cnutish to critize a player for running halfway across the field to defend, but that kind of attitude seldom got the team going anywhere.

JunesBoy

I naturally have an agenda against Rooney the footballer, so my opinion might not count for zilch here...
Bless...he is actually trying to be a captain but the shouting was wrong..shouting instructions and lambasting(for show) players during a game are two different things.. What he did on the day was lose his head, can't judge him on that folly though being an early stage of his captaincy it's a learning period for him... I believe the management will help him with that and make sure he develop his communication skills with his teammates..
I personally don't think he is captain material and yet to be convinced either..the fact that he does not take a back sit and let others get on with there job shows a lack of trust.. Carrick and Fletcher are captain material, whether their footballing ability matches their leadership ability is open to debate but the way they carry themselves on the pitch is what you'll expect from a captain. Till the day he stop seeing himself as the star of the team and be the glue that holds it all together, I'll stay on the opposition.

andualem

I have no problem that Rooney ran back, and mistakenly kicked the ball back into the center. Its that he berated the players so publicly which is the issue. In times like this we need to sick together as a team. I thought that he was ok on the weekend, he linked up well and won a number of challenges.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Who is better option? Half of the team is new additions, so you leave those. He is the most experienced in the team, and you could say he would be a starter on 95% of the games. I think good enough reason to make him a captain.

Aussie_Red_Devil

Those who's job is to deal with it.

I know it sounds cnutish to critize a player for running halfway across the field to defend, but that kind of attitude seldom got the team going anywhere.
That I can agree with. U do sound cnutish.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Who is better option? Half of the team is new additions, so you leave those. He is the most experienced in the team, and you could say he would be a starter on 95% of the games. I think good enough reason to make him a captain.
I understand why people would say that, but i don't agree with it, a captain is for me supposed to be a calming presence, just a look at him should appease his teammates instead of that with Rooney they see an headless chicken, you don't need to be an old figure to provide that.
Sunday, Rooney has been good individually but as a captain he has been poor, but i won't blame him alone, RVP and Smalling who are now senior players should have been level headed and the new players like Blind or Falcao players who have been captain in their previous clubs should have been too.

Last edited:

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
There's a certain Dutch number 20 playing way worse than Rooney or Mata or anyone in our attack. You have no problem with him being undroppable?
He doesn't have "special privileges."

ottosec

I was unconvinced to say the least when he was made captain, but he's done his job since he was appointed and actually looks like he is up for it.

The role seems to fit him so far.

Blodssvik

Paul Scholes criticised Rooney for the same thing if I remember correctly and most agreed with him then. It's difficult to keep the ball in the opponents half if your attack completely lose it's shape.

mancan92

Rooney as a captain didnt do his job on Sunday. Didnt calm the team down, didnt rally the troops, didnt take control. Just blindly shouted once great.

How can anyone defend him he is there as captain to influence the team.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Rooney as a captain didnt do his job on Sunday. Didnt calm the team down, didnt rally the troops, didnt take control. Just blindly shouted once great.

How can anyone defend him he is there as captain to influence the team.
If Roy Keane had done that, as he did many a time, he'd have been applauded.

mancan92

If Roy Keane had done that, as he did many a time, he'd have been applauded.
Yes Roy shouted at his team mates but he rallied them got them pumped changed the mood took control. Rooney just shouted like a petulant kid. Theres a worlds difference between rallying the troops and shouting.

Comparing what Rooney did and what Roy Keane did for years is a complete non starter.

KiD MoYeS

Yes Roy shouted at his team mates but he rallied them got them pumped changed the mood took control. Rooney just shouted like a petulant kid. Theres a worlds difference between rallying the troops and shouting.

Comparing what Rooney did and what Roy Keane did for years is a complete non starter.
Nah, Keano lambasted the players at times. Sometimes the players reacted, sometimes they didn't. What Rooney did is no different.

mancan92

Nah, Keano lambasted the players at times. Sometimes the players reacted, sometimes they didn't. What Rooney did is no different.
nah world of difference mate I'm sure you've been around people who just shout at you and you don't care to lesson and people who shout but rally you and hype you up. World of difference.

My point is Rooney as captain should be able to influence the troops but he had no influence on them. Thats not a good sign

KiD MoYeS

nah world of difference mate I'm sure you've been around people who just shout at you and you don't care to lesson and people who shout but rally you and hype you up. World of difference.
It's as much up to the person being screamed at as the person screaming.

mancan92

It's as much up to the person being screamed at as the person screaming.
Yeah that is true to some extend but there are people who can easily influence even the most stubborn of people while others can scream and shout and never get to you.

Anyone who has been to school or any environment when they are below someone that this is true.

Similar methods but completely different mentality and results.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I do wonder what kind of bollocking here our captain got after the 1-6 loss against City. Vidić didn't play, was it Evra or Ferdinand?

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Agree - I seem to remember him stamping both his feet in a weird jumpy fashion and bashing his fists up and down. My 3 year old acts like that.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
LvG has faith in Rooney as a captain. I guess that should be enough for us to be behind him.

LvG seems to be doing things right.

Rooney has more often than not been of great value on the pitch (3rd highest goal getter in the Premier League and tied with Henry does account for something?)

Let's give LvG a chance to do things his way. I know you lot would stab Rooney in the back if you got a chance but at least back him as LvG's chosen leader.

This thread reeks of an utter prejudice against a player who is on the brink of being United's highest goal getter ever!! If not love, at least show some respect.

NJM78

I have posted before about Rooney as captain and out of the players we do currently have I'd keep him as captain as he is the most experienced player in the team playing 10 seasons as a first team player for the club. I don't think he will keep it if we sign a commanding CM or CB but for now he is the best option as he is very passionate and does give his all for the team even when having a personal mare.

As for the game the shouting did make him look a bit petulant but he was frustrated more for basically causing the equalizing goal with a shocking clearance imo.
He then teetered on the brink of a sending off for a few minutes as he lunged into challenges but managed to calm down a little afterwards which a Rooney without the arm band may not have done.
I don't think any other captain would have made much of a difference as van Gaal had the team playing the formation that was offering very little cover for our defenders especially with Herrera galloping forward at will which was leaving Blind on his own and also Rojo kept looking for the overlap which was forcing the inexperienced Blackett out wider than he should have been, surely some tactical words from the bench could have altered our play and potentially let us hold on for a point or sneak a winner.
The substitution of Di Maria also made no sense to me at all as it played into Leicesters hands with Da Laet becoming much more influential (although the fecker should have been sent off long before), Fletcher for me should have come on and replaced Herrera which would have made us much more solid, I blame the manager as much as the players for the result so really as far as Rooney the captain is concerned I feel he could have done very little different or more to alter the result in truth. The whole thing was a freaky mess.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I don't think he will keep it if we sign a commanding CM or CB but for now he is the best option as he is very passionate and does give his all for the team even when having a personal mare.
The only way captaincy will be taken away from Rooney is when he retires or we decide to sell him off.

Take the past captains in recent history.... Vidic, Neville, Keane, Cantona, Bruce, Robson... changes only on retirement or transfer out. No 'sacking' from captaincy. It's his for the rest of his career with us.

Bwuk

The physical armband doesn't matter. Rooney isn't a leader on the pitch. We need one of them.

Andrew~

The only way captaincy will be taken away from Rooney is when he retires or we decide to sell him off.

Take the past captains in recent history.... Vidic, Neville, Keane, Cantona, Bruce, Robson... changes only on retirement or transfer out. No 'sacking' from captaincy. It's his for the rest of his career with us.
Rio was captain before getting demoted because of injury.

NJM78

You may be right with regards to Rooney but we may also sign a proven leader and captains are very rarely forward players also van Gaal wasn't the manager of those captains so may do it his own way.

Will Singh

Rooney against Leicester was like watching a headless chicken running around.

It won't the rant he had whats the problem, the problem was his timing. That goal we conceded was partly his fault so he should be apologising not blaming.

My choice of captain is/was RVP which wouldn't have created this unbalance to the team. Rooney ain't our best striker nore is he our best #10 so what is he? His our captain yes but Mata brings more creativity and link up from our midfield to attack.

The problem is our midfield is weak physically so can easily get bullied so Rooney gives us that muscle we need in the middle. But that still ain't enough for me to be playing him in a headless chicken role....

We need a Vidal type player who will kick ass in the middle!!!

jaimoe

Rooney against Leicester was like watching a headless chicken running around.

It won't the rant he had whats the problem, the problem was his timing. That goal we conceded was partly his fault so he should be apologising not blaming.

My choice of captain is/was RVP which wouldn't have created this unbalance to the team. Rooney ain't our best striker nore is he our best #10 so what is he? His our captain yes but Mata brings more creativity and link up from our midfield to attack.

The problem is our midfield is weak physically so can easily get bullied so Rooney gives us that muscle we need in the middle. But that still ain't enough for me to be playing him in a headless chicken role....

We need a Vidal type player who will kick ass in the middle!!!

That's funny, because the announcers on CNBC both said he had a superb first half. I didn't stay around for post game comments for obvious reasons, but funny how Rooney haters view him. I agree with you 100% about needing a guy in the middle that can enforce and go box to box.
As for RVP, hurt as often as not and though working himself back in to shape has not shone well so far this year, he's got enough on his plate just trying to get better.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
What the feck is this.

Rooney is now being slated for showing some passion and shouting at his defence for conceding a shitty goal. If he kept quiet, he'd have been slaughtered - and I'd say that would have deserved such a thread.

It's just plain stupid. Angers me so much at times. I don't mind if people hate/dislike Rooney - but at least have a fecking good reason to bring it up rather than trying to nit-pick.

Adebesi

Rooney shouting wasnt the problem, if there was a problem it was the impression that he was blaming people for his own mistake. Leaders take responsibility, they dont pass the buck.

Having said that, I didnt really think too much of it at the time and it wouldnt sway me one way or the other now.

Back when there was a vote about this a few months ago I thought De Gea should be captain. He is an automatic starter, and we have precious few of those in the team now. And as much as I have a lot of time for Rooney I wouldnt announce to the world that he is an automatic starter. For me it creates more problems than it solves as far as selection up front goes. I think Rooney would be in my first XI on the whole - as a striker with Mata behind him - but I would be rotating him with Falcao and RVP based on form.

I also just think someone in the middle or back half of the pitch has a better view of the game and is in a better position to be captain.