Carney Chukwuemeka…

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I don't understand why they don't just play him, and try to encourage him that they can be the best place for him to develop for the next few years? If the talent is so outrageous that he can attract those teams, why not play him over a Nakamba, Luiz or rotate with Jacob Ramsey?
We started him v Burnley at end of the season and he did little of note. Simply isn't ready to start 15-20 prem games.

When Gerrard first came in he was regularly getting 15-20 minute cameos at crucial part of games but that trust dried up as contract talks have dragged on.

He's a fair bit behind Jacob Ramsey. In ideal world I'd loan him to championship club but contract issue makes that a non starter and looks like he'll be moving on now.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'd heard he was good for the youth sides but whenever I saw him last season he didn't look anything special at all. Maybe just playing within himself as he'd just been promoted to the first team.
He was impressive in his cameo against us in the 2-2 I felt.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I don't understand why they don't just play him, and try to encourage him that they can be the best place for him to develop for the next few years? If the talent is so outrageous that he can attract those teams, why not play him over a Nakamba, Luiz or rotate with Jacob Ramsey?
Ultimately, it's clear that Villa don't think he's ready for first team minutes of any note while Carney disagrees. Very similar to Pogba back when he broke through here and he ended up leaving for Juventus. The same will happen with Carney. Youth players in the Premier League are starting to understand that they don't have to sign with the club that coached them and they have control of their own destiny and can make their career a different way. Some people think its down to money and Carney has a bad attitude. But Gerrard did also stop giving him minutes for a large chunk of the season due to contact issues. An olive branch game at the end of the season means jack shit ultimately.

Villa can still pick up a relatively decent fee and they still have a few decent players coming through their academy. As for Carney himself, he should be sensible and not get tempted by a big club offer where he won't pick up many minutes, go for a club that guarantees first team football and European experience. That's assuming any club wants to gamble on going for him because ultimately if he does live up to his potential then they'll be sitting on a gold nugget as the English clubs come flocking in for him. He's a very interesting player to watch this Summer.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Barcelona are reportedly the favorites to sign him
Great move for him ! He will get plenty of gametime (may include Barça Atlètic games) and massive (deferred) wages.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Nice pay rise for him and 20m for us for someone who's yet to play 20 senior games in his career.

Not going to break through into their first team in foreseeable future so I assume he'll get a Bundesliga loan.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Nice pay rise for him and 20m for us for someone who's yet to play 20 senior games in his career.

Not going to break through into their first team in foreseeable future so I assume he'll get a Bundesliga loan.
How would you rate against say, Gallagher and Gilmour? To me looks like a bigger talent then them both but obviously several years younger so not necessarily competing for a spot in the first team right now.

I doubt Chelsea would spend that big on him to just slip him into the loan system. We’ll see. Chelsea have made some interesting youth signings this summer.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea

10m + 10m in add ons is a pretty good deal for a very good talent with league experience. He might have a role depending on what happens with Ziyech and Werner who are expected to leave on loan.

visiting villain

Supports
Aston Villa
How would you rate against say, Gallagher and Gilmour? To me looks like a bigger talent then them both but obviously several years younger so not necessarily competing for a spot in the first team right now.

I doubt Chelsea would spend that big on him to just slip him into the loan system. We’ll see. Chelsea have made some interesting youth signings this summer.
both those players are miles ahead of him in terms of right now, and what Carney needs at the minute is regular gametime. Whether that's a loan to the Championship or to the Bundesliga, who knows.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Pretty sure he has more potential than Gilmour, hence the move for him. But yeah he might end up on loan.

Bwuk

Pretty sure he has more potential than Gilmour, hence the move for him. But yeah he might end up on loan.
Gilmour is class, Norwich was a terrible loan. I’d take Gilmour at United.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Gilmour lost his way, you need to find him a decent loan otherwise his career is going to fizzle out.

Gallagher obviously had 3 years of really good loan spells under his belt (Charlton/Swansea/Palace). Who knows if he can do it at top 4/CL level but he's at same point Tammy was in 2019 imo so deserves the chance.

Carney had his cameos as an 8 so he obviously isn't getting in ahead of Jorginho or Kovacic anytime soon. Interested where you send him as there were numerous Bundesliga links a few months ago.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
10m + 10m in add ons is a pretty good deal for a very good talent with league experience. He might have a role depending on what happens with Ziyech and Werner who are expected to leave on loan.
We never played him in front 3, don't think he even played that for England youths as games I saw he'd just pick up ball in central areas and drive into the box.

avgp_1

A Bundesliga loan should be the best one ahead, he would get his opportunities there. Elsewhere Fulham maybe, a decent footballing side where he should find enough games in midfield but then a team fighting relegation is never easy to play for

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Grew up a Chelsea fan apparently.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Also, don’t know if I believe this. I think Romano is taking that Boehly statement a bit too literally.

AkaAkuma

We never played him in front 3, don't think he even played that for England youths as games I saw he'd just pick up ball in central areas and drive into the box.
where is he likely to play for Chelsea?
if Chelsea play 3 at the back, I’m not sure he’ll have a suitable role.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
where is he likely to play for Chelsea?
if Chelsea play 3 at the back, I’m not sure he’ll have a suitable role.
He'll be firmly on the bench and then sent out on loan in Jan/next summer.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Been given a squad number unlike Gilmour, Kenedy, Barkley et al so might be something to it?
Very interesting. Can’t see us spending £20m and giving him that big contract just to stick him in the U23s, so maybe Tuchel has real plans for him?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Like the look of the lad, the little I've seen of him he reminded me a bit like Jude Bellingham, always thought he'd suit the box to box role in a midfield 3.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Very interesting. Can’t see us spending £20m and giving him that big contract just to stick him in the U23s, so maybe Tuchel has real plans for him?
Hope so - seems as well like there are credible rumblings about Jorginho going to Juve, especially with Pogba's latest injury. Chukwuemeka probably doesn't tip that domino over but De Jong might?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It's not £20 mil though, is it. It's far less upfront and the rest depending on what he does.

We've spent a similar amount on Gabriel Slonina recently and he won't be anywhere near the first team either.

They're making big investments in young players but I don't think they're for the first team just yet.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It's not £20 mil though, is it. It's far less upfront and the rest depending on what he does.

We've spent a similar amount on Gabriel Slonina recently and he won't be anywhere near the first team either.

They're making big investments in young players but I don't think they're for the first team just yet.
Bit different with keepers, but I take your point. Still, I find it hard to believe we’ll stick him in the U23s given how he’s already played in 11 PL games. It’s either straight out on loan or be part of the first team this season, and if Tuchel is keeping him, maybe there’s a plan there.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Fact that he’s been instantly given a squad number and gone straight into training with Tuchel and the first team makes it pretty obvious that he’s staying, surely? Which mean we won’t be spending £80m on De Jong. Our midfield is already packed.

TheReligion

Abusive
Fact that he’s been instantly given a squad number and gone straight into training with Tuchel and the first team makes it pretty obvious that he’s staying, surely? Which mean we won’t be spending £80m on De Jong. Our midfield is already packed.
Id of thought he’d want game time otherwise he could have stayed another season in the PL with Villa.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Bit different with keepers, but I take your point. Still, I find it hard to believe we’ll stick him in the U23s given how he’s already played in 11 PL games. It’s either straight out on loan or be part of the first team this season, and if Tuchel is keeping him, maybe there’s a plan there.
I could maybe see him training with the first team squad but also playing for the u23s, kinda like Vale last season. If Tuchel likes the look of him in training then who knows but I'd be amazed if he's even 6th choice for a midfield spot going into the season.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Id of thought he’d want game time otherwise he could have stayed another season in the PL with Villa.
Maybe the pitch we made before signing him was that Kante and Jorginho would be moving on next summer and it would be beneficial for him to get a head start by settling in for a season? Idk.

It’s definitely strange from the outside without yet hearing Tuchel’s thinking. But he has his press conference tomorrow so we’ll find out.

TheReligion

Abusive
Maybe the pitch we made before signing him was that Kante and Jorginho would be moving on next summer and it would be beneficial for him to get a head start by settling in for a season? Idk.

It’s definitely strange from the outside without yet hearing Tuchel’s thinking. But he has his press conference tomorrow so we’ll find out.
Yeah I do think he’ll be groomed for next season given the Kante and Jorginho situation. Hutchinson from Arsenal seems another good prospect, and another CM, so again it suggests plans are being made now so you don’t have to spend big again next year (which would help with FFP?).

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah I do think he’ll be groomed for next season given the Kante and Jorginho situation. Hutchinson from Arsenal seems another good prospect, and another CM, so again it suggests plans are being made now so you don’t have to spend big again next year (which would help with FFP?).
Hutchison is a wide player.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Sigh. That’s 3 big injuries to key players in each of the last 3 games.