Carragher and Neville's Premier League Team of the Season

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
At the top level I think it's got to that stage. He's not good enough for you anymore in the same way Lloris isn't good enough for Spurs etc.
That's fair, we'll just disagree on this one - especially equating him to Lloris.
I don't watch enough full football games to really hold an opinion on which CB has been better than another.

I did watch your 7-0 defeat though where he was a part of your defense.
Yeah considering the team you support, I figured that was probably the only game of him you'd seen all season, it's quite clear. He's been excellent for the rest of the season, notwithstanding that meltdown of a half of football.

Blood Mage

Shaw has clearly been the best LB in the league this season, Zinchenko is so overrated. Also Martinelli over Salah and Rashford really Gary?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah considering the team you support, I figured that was probably the only game of him you'd seen all season, it's quite clear. He's been excellent for the rest of the season, notwithstanding that meltdown of a half of football.
Okay then I guess you can include him in your TOTS? I don't think it's anything outrageous to chose Dias or Saliba over him at all.

Pretty much no one making up these teams has seen more than a handful of full games of all the players they are choosing unless they have no job and nothing else to do than watch football. But I saw you'd pick Pope in goal for your team, so I guess you'll have seen each Newcastle and Liverpool game this season then to come to that conclusion.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Okay then I guess you can include him in your TOTS? I don't think it's anything outrageous to chose Dias or Saliba over him at all.

Pretty much no one making up these teams has seen more than a handful of full games of all the players they are choosing unless they have no job and nothing else to do than watch football. But I saw you'd pick Pope in goal for your team, so I guess you'll have seen each Newcastle and Liverpool game this season then to come to that conclusion.
Yes I've seen all the games, of all the teams, since the creation of football.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Martinelli over Rashford is something I'm not getting and I rate the Brazilian but Rashford, even though he dipped abit in form recently, has been our attack. Without his goals we would be ,frankly, nowhere.

Rashford has been utterly dominant for a side that didnt know whether it was coming or going for large periods of the campaign.

Plus, would Martinelli have achieved similar results if we were to replace the two ? I dont think so.

Righteous Steps

I'd put Rashford in front of Martinelli personally — he was our only source of goals while Arsenal's attack was outstanding throughout the season. And I think Ake's been City's best centre-back overall (with Stones being the best in their most dominant period) but picking CBs this year is very tough. Both Martinez & Varane are within a shout, two Arsenal ones (I'd give a nod to Saliba), two Newcastle ones, three from City... Rodri wins that DM place for consistency even though both Partey and Casemiro ran him close (and the latter had the highest peak out of the three).

You can also put Ake at left back but Zinchenko should take it, I'd agree with Carragher.

Rashford - Haaland - Saka
De Bruyne - Ødegaard
Rodri
Zinchenko - Ake* - Saliba* - Trippier
Alisson
Kane is the odd one out — in this form you can even make a case for becoming POTY in most seasons but putting Haaland (or Kane) out wide is something that I simply won't do. I can't put Salah in, he simply wasn't as impressive as Saka despite racking up outstanding numbers in both goals and assists yet for another time.
You could replace Odegaard with Kane and play a 4-2-3-1, I find it hard to leave out Kane with 28 goals scored in the league this season, but I guess that’s the problem these teams are always biased to the teams chasing the league which I don’t always leads to a fair or accurate picture.

surf

Since it is premier league only, and even if it wasn't (especially in view of the looming treble), City is the team of the season, lock, stock and barrel. Their first XI would beat either of these teams. So I'd go with Ederson, Ake, Dias, Stones, Akanji, Rodri, Silva, Gundogan, De Bruyne, Grealish, Haaland, in their usual roles. Jimbo's front 6 in particular looks unbalanced.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I know we're a little biased on here, but how the hell hasn't Rashy even made G Nev's team?! Just plain bizarre.

mshnsh

Carragher doing what Neville usually does I.e stats, Neville doing what carragher usually does I.e actual influence over hollow stats.

Kane and Haaland share 1 position so obviously Haaland wins.

Martinez should have been in the team. Other than that and the keeper (id go for Alisson), I agree with Neville.

Allison
Trippier - Dias - Martinez - Shaw
Odegaard - Rodri - De Bruyne
Salah - Haaland - Martinelli

Saliba has been good but Martinez is almost solely responsible for our transformation.
Saka is unlucky to miss out but hes not better than Salah.
Kane has no chance against Haaland.
Rashford could replace Martinelli had he kept up his early season form.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
getting thumped by City and by Liverpool as well as the first 2 games really goes against our players and so it should. I dont think any of our players deserve to be in team of the season. Rashford before the WC and this last 3rd of the season hasnt featured much. Martinez and Shaw both involved in those very bad games. Casemiro with red cards and a fair few underwhleming games.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Not played their teammates into constant shit with their distribution? Clangers galore? King is spot on, the clean sheet award has more to do with the structural organisation in front of De Gea than De Gea being a one man wall.
Not that I would have DDG in team of the season but if you think there's any structural organisation in front of him you are very mistaken, look at the number of defensive pairings that have been in front of him

El Jefe

I think some of you are in dreamland in thinking Licha got robbed. He's been one of the best CBs this season but thinking easily the best CB this sesson is just not true.

Up until his injury it was Saliba who had been the best CB in the league. Second half of the season Dias has been immense. I think those two are the obvious choices.

Shaw could possibly be in there but I LB wasn't really a position with standout performers this year IMO.

Rashford has a shout too but I think in his hot streak not enough of those were in the PL. Many of those were cup games where he was different class. Rashford had a better season than Martinelli by far but in the PL Martinelli just might edge it.

It's not egregious to not have a United player in here. The obvious candidates were Martinez but his season was cut a bit short, Casemiro looked a lock-in at one point but served 7 games suspended and that derailed his sesson and Rashford as explained above.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
For all the criticism of of Salah being picked due to Carragher's bias, Salah has still contributed 30 goals and 15 assists in all competitions. Rashford has 29 goals and 11 assists in all competitions and we're puzzled why he hasn't been included.
The team isn't for all competitions, it's for the PL, no idea how that affects the figures of goals and assists

The QuintonFortunes

Alisson

Trippier Saliba Martinez Shaw
De Bruyne Rodri Ødegaard
Saka Haaland Rashford

Bench: Pope Diaz Botman Estupiñan Casemiro Caicedo Bruno G Salah Martinelli Kane Toney

Saka/Salah and Rashford/Martinelli could go either way.

Hammondo

Martinez is by far the best CB in the league this season, by a mile.

Rashford has had his best season, 29 goals from 53 appearance is brilliant from someone who plays mainly on the left wing.

Casemiro has changed our midfield should def be considered.
This is about the PL, not other competitions.

Hammondo

I think Carragher's lineup is better, though I do not agree with all of it.

Stacks

Can’t see how Allison or Salah are in there really. Gotta make room for Kane and the argument for Allison seems to be they’d be worse without him which would be true of any top keeper in any side.
Our attack has been basically two players all season in a team that could finish third with two trophies to their name. Not saying this solely as a United fan but you have to fit a United player in there somewhere otherwise you’re being a bit too clever for your own good.
Martinelli for feck sake
Martinelli has been equally as productive as Rashford and his team are higher in the league. Its based on premier league only. Salah has 19 goals 11 assists so who should take his place?

mav_9me

For all the criticism of of Salah being picked due to Carragher's bias, Salah has still contributed 30 goals and 15 assists in all competitions. Rashford has 29 goals and 11 assists in all competitions and we're puzzled why he hasn't been included.
Firstly Salah is competing with Saka dor RW while Rashford is competing with Martinelli for LW.

2nd it's premier league. All competitions doesn't matter.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Interesting how these journalists always pick strange players for the "Team of the season" .

Best pick for me:

Pope
Walker/Trippier - Dias - Martinez - Shaw
Rodri
De Bruyne - Odegaard
Salah - Haaland - Rashford
Casemiro was unplayable when he was inform and better than Rodri but the red cards ruined his chances for "TOTS " , same with Rashford he was the best LW in the league before his injury sadly :( in context f**k Martinelli nothing special.
As for Shaw i didn't liked him last season but gosh this season he was incredible and there is not a better LB in the League cheers for this.

As much i hate Liverpool the only reason this year Trippier is better than Trent for the RB spot is because he got exposed in some of the games and gave free goals for the opposition teams but for me Trent is mile ahead than any other RB in the league bar Walker, for Saka i don't really get why he is getting so much praise everywhere yeah he got couple good games and scored beautiful goals but that's all in the games where his team needed him he was gone and never seen Salah clearly the better RW this season too.

Anyway this is the best TOTS this season.

Saka has had a far better season than Salah.

mav_9me

I disagree with Rashford being in there, it's a bit of bias, which is to be expected. He's been absolutely amazing the final part of the season but wasn't anywhere near this good for a large part where as Martinelli and Saka were consistently excellent all season. I'd also have Kane ahead of him as his stats have been ridiculous in a terrible team. Personally i'd have Martinez and Casemiro in there as I think Case transformed the team and is the best holding mid in the world.
Martinelli hasn't been great this final part of the season. Actually same applies to Saka, another one whose gone off the boil, understandably.

Rashford has 1 more goal contribution than Martinelli. And Rashford has carried our attack the whole season without a striker. As opposed to Martinelli whose had the benefit of a better attack and a striker to play with.

cyberman

Martinelli has been equally as productive as Rashford and his team are higher in the league. Its based on premier league only. Salah has 19 goals 11 assists so who should take his place?

One carried the attack on his own though. If we’re arguing numbers then Toney should be in. In terms of productivity it’s as if Rashford and Bruno dragged a mid table attack to potentially third in the table
It’s not just fit all the top scorers in surely? I’d fit some kind of team success criteria into it as well as being the man to carry a side to their objectives rather than standing out in a failing side. Are we saying Martinelli had a bigger influence on Arsenal than Grealish for City? Martinelli has been getting criticised by Arsenal fans for a good portion of the second half of the league.
Look at Rashfords assist stat, that’s only low because he has literally nobody to pass to that can finish. Nobody.
I hate these anyway, I can’t see why a DM is in a make believe side as an example.

UnrelatedPsuedo

If you desperately want Kane in there you could sacrifice De Bryune or Ødegaard and play a 4-4-2 instead... Just sayin'.

I feel that putting Haaland or Kane on the wing is an insult to life itself.
Really should have gone 4-1-3-2 to get the best players in.

Rodri, KdB, Saka, Martinelli, Kane and Haaland. Easily the best 6 players in the league this year if you discount the back 5. All walk in without solid arguments against.

GazTheLegend

No Bruno Fernandes is a joke, really. The guy carries our team game in game out. As to the rest it's hard to disagree, because the rest of our squad don't put up anywhere near the numbers, excepting maybe Rashford and Martinez. There's a case for Casemiro, or there would be without the weird agenda referees have had against him.

Fernandes creates more chances than ANY other player in the entire league. https://www.fotmob.com/leagues/47/stats/season/17664/players/total_att_assist

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
So what exactly has Pope or Allison done over DDG to claim a spot? Would like a reasoning please.
Sorry but for the most part DDG only has the most clean sheets because of how good Varane, Martinez and Casemiro have been defensively.

He has made far too many mistakes and his distribution has been terrible, often causing more pressure from the opposition in our defensive third.

UnrelatedPsuedo

No Bruno Fernandes is a joke, really. The guy carries our team game in game out. As to the rest it's hard to disagree, because the rest of our squad don't put up anywhere near the numbers, excepting maybe Rashford and Martinez. There's a case for Casemiro, or there would be without the weird agenda referees have had against him.

Fernandes creates more chances than ANY other player in the entire league. https://www.fotmob.com/leagues/47/stats/season/17664/players/total_att_assist
Agreed. But he’s not better than those picked.

NICanRed

This is an exercise in futility. Opinion vs opinion. We can argue all day long but there is no right answer and no way of proving it anyway!
I have to say that I am impressed by the access to the statistical information many have and their reliance on them to prove their point but as my friend Larry used to say, "If you torture the statistics long enough - they will confess."

Siorac

De Bruyne and Odegaard have had excellent seasons and you can't have all the number 10s in the team.

Righteous Steps

Really should have gone 4-1-3-2 to get the best players in.

Rodri, KdB, Saka, Martinelli, Kane and Haaland. Easily the best 6 players in the league this year if you discount the back 5. All walk in without solid arguments against.
What? There are solid arguments to not include either Saka or Martinelli, considering the seasons Rashford or Salah have had. Only certs should be KDB Kane Rodri Haaland and even Kane is an odd one because he plays in the position of someone whos been the best in the league.

UnrelatedPsuedo

What? There are solid arguments to not include either Saka or Martinelli, considering the seasons Rashford or Salah have had. Only certs should be KDB Kane Rodri Haaland and even Kane is an odd one because he plays in the position of someone whos been the best in the league.
Only if you haven’t watched Arsenal this season. That pair have been as good out wide as KdB and Rodri have been through the middle. Outstanding seasons.

As a wide forward, Mahrez and Grealish warrant inclusion over Rashford. Rashford had a phenomenal run for a few months but he’s been nothing like the best wide forward in the league. Nowhere near. I love him. But the gap between his purple patch and ‘regular’ form has been gigantic.

Chairman Steve

I always think these teams of the season and season reviews involve a lot of recency bias, which is why Gary Neville’s match of the season was a match literally two weeks ago.

From our player set, I’d say Rashford, Casemiro and Martinez would be in as shouts but it’s clear we peaked after the week we beat Barcelona over two legs and Newcastle to win the League Cup which was the last week of February, hampered by the congested game schedule we‘ve had for 80% of the season.

RedDevil@84

How can you leave out Bruno Fernandes? The guy leads the most no of chances created in PL.

Member 125288

Laughable you think DDG should be in, comically bad in a number of games.
I think the keeper that keeps more clean sheets than any other and gets the golden glove should be in the conversation at least - just like the striker that gets the golden boot.

And before you say “most of the those clean sheets are down to the defence” we can apply that same logic to strikers scoring a lot of goals because they get quality service from the likes of KDB and Odegaard too.

cyberman

Only if you haven’t watched Arsenal this season. That pair have been as good out wide as KdB and Rodri have been through the middle. Outstanding seasons.

As a wide forward, Mahrez and Grealish warrant inclusion over Rashford. Rashford had a phenomenal run for a few months but he’s been nothing like the best wide forward in the league. Nowhere near. I love him. But the gap between his purple patch and ‘regular’ form has been gigantic.
Can’t see how you score 30 goals on a season with just a couple month phenomenal run to be honest