Carrick is the answer

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
As a Central Midfielder myself, I can honestly say I have based a lot of my game on Carrick.
He's like a metronome, keeps things ticking by without doing anything special like say Pirlo.
An outstanding player in his prime, extremely useful player now and one Pogba could learn from, but far from the answer to our game changing issues right now.

fellaini's barber

No watch old games with Carrick 9 out 0f 10 passes went backwards and sideways. Once is a blue moon he would shock us with a pass forward. I used to get so frustrated when Carrick played, was great at bringing his team mates in trouble once pressed on the ball. Actually he hasn't done badly under Mourinho seems to play more balls forward.
Luckily we haven't lost that talent of passing backwards and sideways of Carrick, Herrera has don't an excellent job taken that over.
He's ridiculously overrated on this forum, never really rated him as much as most. He's excellent at passing when under no pressure and dictating play and that's it. I used to be particularly frustrated when he got the ball facing our goal with acres of space to run into if he bothered to turn around but he just returns the ball backwards without even looking. Used to be compared to Busquets on here. Should have left the club 2-3 years ago. :lol:Yeah and like you said Herrera has taken up the mantle capably.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
No watch old games with Carrick 9 out 0f 10 passes went backwards and sideways. Once is a blue moon he would shock us with a pass forward. I used to get so frustrated when Carrick played, was great at bringing his team mates in trouble once pressed on the ball. Actually he hasn't done badly under Mourinho seems to play more balls forward.
Luckily we haven't lost that talent of passing backwards and sideways of Carrick, Herrera has don't an excellent job taken that over.
Can't hear you over the sound of glorious precise forward passing

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not this shit again... :rolleyes:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
You realise youtube vids can make anyone look good right? You should see Fellaini's
I have. And I've seen Carrick's, and I've seen them both play, and I can safely say that Carrick is an excellent forward and long passer, levels above Fellaini.

Fully Fledged

You realise youtube vids can make anyone look good right? You should see Fellaini's
I've seen him play live on countless occasions and Know for a fact that he was a top quality player worthy of pulling on the United shirt for over a decade. This season has been one season too far for him but that does not change the admiration I have for him as a United player.

fellaini's barber

I have. And I've seen Carrick's, and I've seen them both play, and I can safely say that Carrick is an excellent forward and long passer, levels above Fellaini.
Not comparing the two, Fellaini is shit, just pointing out that a youtube video of Carrick passing forward does not negate the fact that he passed backwards/sideways a lot

Bwuk

One of the best midfielders we’ve ever had. Absolutely love Carrick.

fellaini's barber

Best midfielder in 12/13 with Cleverley/Giggs as partner for most games, basically bossed the midfield on his own that season.
This was the 'zombie passing' thread era, we used to be overrun in most games, how Fergie still won the league with that team is still a mystery

YouOnlyLiveTwice

This was the 'zombie passing' thread era, we used to be overrun in most games, how Fergie still won the league with that team is still a mystery
Yeah, players stood still a lot, but Carrick always managed to find them anyway, he was so important. Our midfield was fragile because we refused to strenghten it for such a long time. But Carrick made us able to get through it and still win the league.

Bwuk

This. Even at 36 he controlled that second half. Great player
Exactly. Only player who started every week in the midfield over the clubs most successful period ever yet some people doubt his quality. Laughable.

Red00012

He was a great player for us but to suggest he’s the answer is mindboggling. He isn’t retiring at the end of the season for no reason.

fellaini's barber

I've seen him play live on countless occasions and Know for a fact that he was a top quality player worthy of pulling on the United shirt for over a decade. This season has been one season too far for him but that does not change the admiration I have for him as a United player.
Never said he was a bad player or wasn't worthy of the shirt, just said he's overrated d here, that's why we're in a thread discussing about him being an answer to our midfield problems years after he stopped really contributing anything to the team

Lord Zlatan

Exactly. Only player who started every week in the midfield over the clubs most successful period ever yet some people doubt his quality. Laughable.
I remember sitting in the north stand upper about 7 years ago and watching home an scholes...and could cry when I compare what I say then to the dross I’ve been watching this past few years

Lord Zlatan

Never said he was a bad player or wasn't worthy of the shirt, just said he's overrated d here, that's why we're in a thread discussing about him being an answer to our midfield problems years after he stopped really contributing anything to the team
He’s not overrated. Not only one one the best midfielders in United’s history but in the premier leagues. However his non flash quiet nature meant he was over looked by the box office Gerrard/Lampard for England. Meanwhile he and scholes racked up trophies at the highest level

Fully Fledged

Years after is something that I wouldn't agree with. His heart condition has meant that he has not played a part this season but even last season he had many games where he controlled the tempo of the game for us.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Best midfielder in 12/13 with Cleverley/Giggs as partner for most games, basically bossed the midfield on his own that season.
Paired with Jones at Madrid in a purely defensive job, and with Cleverley at home in a more balanced role, did excellent in both games (till the red card)

He was player's POTY, the only one making things happen in midfield for us. Seriously, see that 1st video starting around 9 mins in - it's all forward passing from that single season.

Oscie

Can you really miss as many games as he has at his age and be the answer to anything beyond a capable filler when needs must? We're probably going to be balls deep into March before he's completely match-fit for any kind of full time schedule and that's on the proviso he plays more often than he's going to between now and then.

fellaini's barber

He’s not overrated. Not only one one the best midfielders in United’s history but in the premier leagues. However his non flash quiet nature meant he was over looked by the box office Gerrard/Lampard for England. Meanwhile he and scholes racked up trophies at the highest level
Gerrard/Lampard weren't box office, they were just better. Scholes was definitely not overlooked by anyone in his prime, he was fantastic, or box office as you put it. I'm gonna be honest I didn't like that era of our midfield of Carrick, unretired Scholes and 34 year old Giggs at all. We bypassed midfield most games and were constantly getting overrun by shite teams, but our attack was superb.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Backwards passing bad. Sideways passing not great. Forward passing good. Oh, yes, I’m getting it. Carrick? Oh, yes. Carrick places passed wherever he wants to. Imagine some one thinking he’s overrated. Heh, heh. Comical. Ah, well. Back to twiddling my thumbs. Back pass. Bad.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Backwards passing bad. Sideways passing not great. Forward passing good. Oh, yes, I’m getting it. Carrick? Oh, yes. Carrick places passed wherever he wants to. Imagine some one thinking he’s overrated. Heh, heh. Comical. Ah, well. Back to twiddling my thumbs. Back pass. Bad.
It's a terrible skill to have as a midfielder. Passing is back, sideways and forwards yet retaining possession. Terrible skill for a footballer.

M Bison

Supports
York City
He’s not the answer unfortunately due to age, but the rest of our midfield aren’t fit to lace his boots.

Absolute different class a few years ago and our current midfield will be lucky if they achieve half of what he has.

Tincanalley

It's a terrible skill to have as a midfielder. Passing is back, sideways and forwards yet retaining possession. Terrible skill for a footballer.
Yes. You understand soccer football too. Could hold your own in a battle of soccer football experts, just like me.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Yes. You understand soccer football too. Could hold your own in a battle of soccer football experts, just like me.
I'm a Professional A list Soccer Football Expert, just like you. In the PALSFE booklet it clearly has the stickman image of a midfielder passing it backwards, sideways and forwards and every direction has a massive green tick next to it. I've checked the icon legend at the back of the booklet and it appears green tick means good.

Denis' cuff

Gerrard/Lampard weren't box office, they were just better. Scholes was definitely not overlooked by anyone in his prime, he was fantastic, or box office as you put it. I'm gonna be honest I didn't like that era of our midfield of Carrick, unretired Scholes and 34 year old Giggs at all. We bypassed midfield most games and were constantly getting overrun by shite teams, but our attack was superb.

Lampard and Gerrard were media darlings (hence Lord Zlatans ref to Box office) and the media has picked the England team for donkeys years. Of course Scholes was overlooked by England (when he was shoved out to the left wing) as was Carrick. United players were booed by the England crowd and hounded by the media. European players and coaches repeatedly commented on the omission saying either would be first name on the team sheet. Scholes should’ve had 100+ caps and Carrick not far behind. Englands loss. With a nucleus of Nevilles, Rio, Carrick, Beckham, Scholes, Cole, etc sweeping up trophies for United, funny that none were deemed worthy of England apart from Rio and Beckham, and even then, only after he’d launched his charm offence post-98. He was routinely berated before that by “fans”, media and even The England manager.

Tincanalley

I'm a Professional A list Soccer Football Expert, just like you. In the PALSFE booklet it clearly has the stickman image of a midfielder passing it backwards, sideways and forwards and every direction has a massive green tick next to it. I've checked the icon legend at the back of the booklet and it appears green tick means good.
:lol:

Tincanalley

Straight up in the Air, Orange Tick. Otherwise known as a Jonesie.

Lord Zlatan

Lampard and Gerrard were media darlings (hence Lord Zlatans ref to Box office) and the media has picked the England team for donkeys years. Of course Scholes was overlooked by England (when he was shoved out to the left wing) as was Carrick. United players were booed by the England crowd and hounded by the media. European players and coaches repeatedly commented on the omission saying either would be first name on the team sheet. Scholes should’ve had 100+ caps and Carrick not far behind. Englands loss. With a nucleus of Nevilles, Rio, Carrick, Beckham, Scholes, Cole, etc sweeping up trophies for United, funny that none were deemed worthy of England apart from Rio and Beckham, and even then, only after he’d launched his charm offence post-98. He was routinely berated before that by “fans”, media and even The England manager.
Was about to reply but no need. This sums it up perfectly.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He was a fantastic player for us, over a number of years too...And I think in 2012/2013 for me the second best player in the league behind Van Persie...but he hasn't had a good reason since Ferguson retired. That's nearly 5 years ago.

He's 36, retiring in a few months and has barely played all season, and today was like playing with 10 men at times.

What is it he's the answer to exactly? 8 years ago he'd have been the perfect Mourinho player. Not now.

Lord Zlatan

He was a fantastic player for us, over a number of years too...And I think in 2012/2013 for me the second best player in the league behind Van Persie...but he hasn't had a good reason since Ferguson retired. That's nearly 5 years ago.

He's 36, retiring in a few months and has barely played all season, and today was like playing with 10 men at times.

What is it he's the answer to exactly? 8 years ago he'd have been the perfect Mourinho player. Not now.
I wouldn’t say he’s the answer now. That’s ridiculous given his age. But he did control the midfield in the second half today in a way I can’t remember any of our younger players doing this season. That in itself is damning

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I wouldn’t say he’s the answer now. That’s ridiculous given his age. But he did control the midfield in the second half today in a way I can’t remember any of our younger players doing this season. That in itself is damning
There was no point in that game where we were controlling the midfield and until it was 2-0 we weren't even competing in midfield, so I don't really follow.

Some of our other midfielders could certainly learn a thing or two from him no doubt, but he's well off the pace and has been for quite a long time. It's not like with scholes where he's so good on the ball that just him being on the pitch means the opposition have to back off.

We got swamped today and were not playing through midfield at all for a good 55 minutes, only getting a grip at all when Huddersfield effectively ran out of steam and gave up. A better opponent would punish us.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Carrick’s reputation is hyperbolic because of an Indian Summer in his career circa 2013, but before that most United fans were underwhelmed by him.

Lord Zlatan

There was no point in that game where we were controlling the midfield and until it was 2-0 we weren't even competing in midfield, so I don't really follow.

Some of our other midfielders could certainly learn a thing or two from him no doubt, but he's well off the pace and has been for quite a long time. It's not like with scholes where he's so good on the ball that just him being on the pitch means the opposition have to back off.

We got swamped today and were not playing through midfield at all for a good 55 minutes, only getting a grip at all when Huddersfield effectively ran out of steam and gave up. A better opponent would punish us.
First half I agree we were overwhelmed. But second half he did control the game. Simple pass to a red shirt. Been missing lately.