Casemiro | United Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
We've looked to be signing among the best players in their respective positions for years now and not one has improved since they signed for us. Not one.

But yeah, let's ignore the evidence and just be eternally happy and hopeful :lol:
What are we supposed to do? Can we not get excited about new signings anymore then because of the failings of others? That would be a pretty miserable summer for everyone.

sammyhol

I so want to be optimistic about this signing…..

Lots to be positive about.... but no different to Bastian, Varane, Falcao, Di Maria, Sanchez, etc.....

More often than not when we have signed a genuine superstar name on massive wages the wrong side of 28, it has massively back fired.

Hoping that this bucks the trend.... but I've fallen for this trap too many time before!

Thiagoal

If he comes let's hope he doesn't just mope about for the cash. Brazilian international so has to perform for World cup. Let's see if it happens .
You clearly know nothing about Casemiro if you genuinely think that’s a possibility

TheReligion

Abusive
If he comes let's hope he doesn't just mope about for the cash. Brazilian international so has to perform for World cup. Let's see if it happens .
If you know anything about his character you can be confident he won’t be doing that.

It’s also good the club have reportedly incentivised his contract.

OmarUnited4ever

None of them were the best in the world in their position at the time we signed them, and at their peak. Perhaps you could make an argument for Cristiano being one of the best in his position - but at 36 we always knew we weren't getting the peak version. Varane is too early to tell for me, but he wasn't the best centreback in the world two seasons ago - he was coming off a covid plagued season and had some niggling injuries that prevented him from getting a good start as well.

Di Maria never wanted to come and everything surrounding that transfer was a mess - in this case Casemiro has asked to be allowed to leave and that is a huge difference.

None of the players that poster mentioned were or are "Arguably The Best" in their respective position as Casemiro is now.

Varane is superb CB but there were few who were better than him like Ramos, T.Silva, and Chellini there is also VVD and Marquinhos.

Di Maria was top class when we signed him in 2014 but even if we exclude Messi or Ronaldo, players like Ribery, Robben, Hazard and others were better and considered the best wingers.

Matic was never the best DM even in his prime, though he was great.

Zlatan was also not the best and never been the best striker even in his prime but he was world class when he arrived here

Who else?

Right now it can be easily argued that Casemiro is the best DM in the world and has been so for the past 4-5 years

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Reading some replies on here to pessimistic posts, it's almost like I'm living in some parallel universe where every single signing we have made the last 10 years has been an undeniable success and that these cautious and negative posters are being unreasonable :lol:

Face it, 95% of the signings we have made, even supposedly world class ones, have not worked out. So I think people can be forgiven for being skeptical, rather than being shut down and told to accept just how great this signing is going to be
There's being cautious and there's being whiny. Most of these posts fall into the later category and use flawed logic.

I'm never sure anyone we sign is going to a resounding success, but I'm definitely not going to spend all my time on here telling everyone they're going to be massive failures like I'm Nostradamus.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Oh there's no denying the quality he has, though he didn't adjust well and had some poor games but at lot of that can be put down to not staying fit as obviously centre backs tend to need a run of games to get their form back. He is used to playing in front of a dominant goalkeeper though and we have the opposite of that. I like Maguire more than most on here but you have to imagine if Rafa can stay fit we'll get a run of Martinez-Varane which on paper seems to cover all bases.

I thought so, it was certainly the case a couple of years ago that it was 12pm the day before that weekends fixtures started.
I'm struggling to see how we're still holding out hope then. I expect the deal and medical could be done in a morning, but the Visa will take days to come through?

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
It has nothing to do with liking it or not, the reality of the matter is that outside of injuries top players do not magically turn into pumpkins at 30 and there is a plethora of recent references at the top level to support it, players that drop at 30 among top players are the exception not the norm.

As for Real Madrid, they currently have a 36 years old midfielder that has played his best football in his 30s, they mainly brought younger midfielders because they lacked depth and they bought Tchouaméni this summer because they couldn't sign Mbappé anymore and he was a player they wanted for the future, it had nothing to do with Casemiro imminently regressing.
It makes it much easier for these players at Madrid on the wrong side of 30 to still play at such a high level when they are surrounded by other talented players who are also able to cover the ground that players like Modric can't.

Buying Tchouamèni of course is with a view to progress to the first team, that is what clubs with a clear and coherent strategy do. Fair enough if our vision was to sign Casemiro to plug the gap with a view to signing someone to replace him in the next couple of years. But he is set to be on a long term contract and on higher wages. Ask yourself, why are Real Madrid selling him? And why did they sign those players last summer to progress into the starting 11?

When you start to question if Casemiro is indeed on the cusp of a decline, Real Madrid's position starts to make more sense. Its good for them they can rely on clubs like us to pay over the odds for someone who is not going to command anywhere near the same fee or wages when we come to sell him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Casemiro-Fred for Brazil

15/17 games win
13 clean sheets
Their NT midfield partnership playing together at club level. Neymar in the form of his life again. Might be worth sticking some money on them winning the WC — Joga Bonito is back baby

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It makes it much easier for these players at Madrid on the wrong side of 30 to still play at such a high level when they are surrounded by other talented players who are also able to cover the ground that players like Modric can't.

Buying Tchouamèni of course is with a view to progress to the first team, that is what clubs with a clear and coherent strategy do. Fair enough if our vision was to sign Casemiro to plug the gap with a view to signing someone to replace him in the next couple of years. But he is set to be on a long term contract and on higher wages. Ask yourself, why are Real Madrid selling him? And why did they sign those players last summer to progress into the starting 11?

When you start to question if Casemiro is indeed on the cusp of a decline, Real Madrid's position starts to make more sense. Its good for them they can rely on clubs like us to pay over the odds for someone who is not going to command anywhere near the same fee or wages when we come to sell him.
By other talented players that are in their 30s. You see the issue with your point about age?

And Real Madrid didn't plan to sell Casemiro, so I don't need to think too much about it, your point only works if Casemiro was for sale since June but he wasn't, we inquired about him and the player was interested.

Last edited:

Brokenbeard

I so want to be optimistic about this signing…..

Lots to be positive about.... but no different to Bastian, Varane, Falcao, Di Maria, Sanchez, etc.....

More often than not when we have signed a genuine superstar name on massive wages the wrong side of 28, it has massively back fired.

Hoping that this bucks the trend.... but I've fallen for this trap too many time before!
To be fair, our transfer history last 10 years has been poor, regardles of age. I will enjoy casemiro, and i applaud this transfer!

Last edited:

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
How did we manage to pull this one out of the bag, hopefully made him captain. Honestly fdj should join now knowing he’s got a cracking cdm beside him, replace Maguire with Varane and get in pulisic, rb and gk and we will be brilliant. Up the work rate from the players and we can crack top 4 this season

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
As great a signing as this is, is anyone else annoyed that is distracting from the growing #GlazerOut sentiment?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
As great a signing as this is, is anyone else annoyed that is distracting from the growing #GlazerOut sentiment?
I would have thought the talk of prospective buyers would re-focus that sentiment enough anyway.

pocco

loco
I'm not. I've seen people saying it's better he's not there for the Liverpool game as it would placate some supporters. I hope he is there and I hope there is still full throttle on the protests etc. Support the team and protest, that's my intention. I sense there is something brewing on the sale of the club now regardless. But we absolutely need to try and take something from that game.

JB7

I'm struggling to see how we're still holding out hope then. I expect the deal and medical could be done in a morning, but the Visa will take days to come through?
I agree, it doesn't make any sense to me so maybe the rules have changed. Like I say, those were definitely the rules a couple of years ago and I think it would be odd if they did change but you never know. Obviously would be a huge bonus for us if we could play him.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I’m not saying Varane is a bad player, but no way was Varane held in the same regard as Casemiro at Madrid. Casemiro is quite a coup.

JPRouve

Scout
No. Because if it actually is distracting then the growing sentiment was a bit hollow. At the end of the day, if the club somehow turned things around by bringing good players and being successful on the pitch the discontent with the owner wouldn't exist or at least it would only exist among a small minority.

reelworld

Whatever about previous years, that's a misread of which current issues are more pressing than others.

Our current, first principle problems are in possession. We struggle to keep it under pressure, we lose it in the wrong areas, we struggle to play from the back and we struggle to progress the ball up the pitch. From that you get bad turnovers and struggles to deal with transitions, which is the secondary problem. But with us placing even more emphasis on possession with our choice of manager, those first principle problems have increased even more in importance.

The Brentford game highlighted the point perfectly. Our issues weren't in dealing with transitions, it was (as Toney said) our inability to deal with being pressed. "We knew the high press would effect them, and it did".

FDJ would have done more to address that primary problem, by offering a press-resistant and progressive option in that deeper midfield position. Casemiro doesn't. He addresses a secondary problem, which is how we cope in some situations once possession has already been lost.

Which is great. But if another team tries to do what Brentford does and press us in those areas, it doesn't help us much. There's a reason ETH's primary target was FDJ and a secondary target a ball playing CB. He knew getting more ability in possession in those areas was a priority.
I hear you and I agree to an extent. But ten Hag is adaptable. He did play with a DM and a progressor in his last season with Ajax. So he at least knows how to make it work.
I think he realizes he cannot fix the first problem in this window so he'd make sure we fix the second problem and find other ways to progress the ball without a Frenkie type

Judas

Open to offers
Varane was world class in their team.
Debatable. For me who never looked as good when he wasn’t playing next to Ramos. He needs a stronger leader beside him, the opposite of the slop he’s played beside with us.

Varane’s stature has been greatly exaggerated the worse he’s done with us.

ShinjiNinja26

What annoys me the most is we can seemingly tie a deal like this up in a couple of days when the boards backs are against the wall and the pressure is on, yet we piss about the first few months of the window going at a snails pace unable to get deals over the line.

KiD MoYeS

No. Because if it actually is distracting then the growing sentiment was a bit hollow. At the end of the day, if the club somehow turned things around by bringing good players and being successful on the pitch the discontent with the owner wouldn't exist or at least it would only exist among a small minority.
Yeah, fair point. Just feel this is the closest we've been to getting the Glazers out and then out of the blue we sign the world's best player in the position we desperately need, with that signing overshadowing most of the discontent.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I don't think it is. I think the board are hoping it'll do that and I think they'll present him on Monday, ala Varane. But the protests will still be loud.

You can hate the Glazers and want them out, but still want the squad to improve and the team to win games.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We won't be trying to get him to play on Monday, just officially signed by then so he can't change his mind when we're pumped 6.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
[/QUOTE]
Who have we signed that less than 6 months ago won the CL and bossed it? I mean the opposition was even Liverpool…

I understand people have reservations about literally everything the club does currently. If we signed Endrick there would be replies saying ‘we will make him shit’, ‘I would tell him not to come here’ etc.

It’s kind of boring wallowing in self pity.
Trust me, i want this signing to work out just as much as the others. It is difficult however with everything that has transpired prior to this happening. This same profile of players was reportedly not even on our radar this summer when it was glaringly obvious it is what we needed.

ETH possibly could have identified this need after 2 games, but that in itself is worrying as he should have been analysing our games last season to come to the same conclusion.

Arnautovic is a panic buy, Casemiro is a fecking masterstroke.
Do you really think buying him or not buying him are equally bad??

So rather than have perhaps the best DM in the world in our team, we may as well just stick with McFred to fill our DM void?

Also, ETH identified the player he wanted in FdJ – but if the transfer doesn't not happen for whatever the reason, should he then just ignore anyone else who is available? It seems like you are saying if we don't get who we initially wanted we should just sulk and not buy anyone. Or be miserable with anyone we are linked with and potentially sign.
What are we supposed to do? Can we not get excited about new signings anymore then because of the failings of others? That would be a pretty miserable summer for everyone.
Wasn't it ETH that said we should sign the right player, not just any player? Fair enough, you could argue Casemiro is not just any player, but his profile of player wasn't even on our list to begin with this summer, which doesn't fill me with confidence that the club have done due diligence when making this signing, rather jumping on it as soon as it was a possibility.

Like i've said, you can't possibly blame me and others for being negative and skeptical.

There's being cautious and there's being whiny. Most of these posts fall into the later category and use flawed logic.

I'm never sure anyone we sign is going to a resounding success, but I'm definitely not going to spend all my time on here telling everyone they're going to be massive failures like I'm Nostradamus.
Note I'm not outright saying Casemiro is going to fail at Manchester United. Rather I am pointing out the potential pitfalls, which I think is fair enough as opposed to riding on an eternal wave of optimism. I've done so before and been burned numerous times.

KiD MoYeS

What annoys me the most is we can seemingly tie a deal like this up in a couple of days when the boards backs are against the wall and the pressure is on, yet we piss about the first few months of the window going at a snails pace unable to get deals over the line.
I think this signing is a reaction to a no. of things, the clubs horrendous start to the season and the ever growing fan fury. The club has money to throw at its problems, I don't think it is a coincidence that the owners have sanctioned a big money move the week a genuine buyer has publicly stated his desire to buy the club.

pocco

loco
Varane was world class in their team.
I never bought into that. The season before we signed him he was rubbish whenever I saw him. Sterling in the CL tore him apart like I've never seen him do any other defender.

I think what is obvious with Varane is that he never was the leader there, he had Ramos and Pepe to hold his hand. He was brought in and people trotted the idea that he would be our leader. Based on what? They just see the name Varane and make assumptions.

Casemiro is the exact opposite.

JPRouve

Scout
I think this signing is a reaction to a no. of things, the clubs horrendous start to the season and the ever growing fan fury. The club has money to throw at its problems, I don't think it is a coincidence that the owners have sanctioned a big money move the week a genuine buyer has publicly stated his desire to buy the club.
I think that it's simpler than that. We needed top midfielders for several roles, we focused on the younger, rarer talent and when De Jong became definitively out of reach we diverted our attention and resources to alternatives in other roles.

ShinjiNinja26

Aye definitely. The Antony situation is another example, panicked and offered Ajax nearly £70m for him yesterday when it’s too late but we could’ve offered that a month ago when we tried to sign him initially and it probably would’ve got the deal done. Utter shambles.

Marcelinho87

I think that it's simpler than that. We needed top midfielders for several roles, we focused on the younger, rarer talent and when De Jong became definitively out of reach we diverted our attention and resources to alternatives in other roles.
The club has maintained it has had other options if the FdJ thing didn't work out and the Athletic have said this Casemiro deal has been ongoing for weeks. I don't think this is a panic buy, just another option we have decided to take.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Reckon he’s heard good things from Varane, Fred and Ronaldo to want to come? Can’t be that bad at the club

Status
Not open for further replies.