Casemiro | United Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Put McT in that Madrid team he'll do just fine.

It's easier to play good when you're surrounded by class players who knows what they're doing.

Ours on the other hand, can make world class look amateurish
And this wouldn't be true for other DMs he's competing with for the 'best in the world DM' title?

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
We actually have

BFS
Di Maria
Zlatan
Varane (I swear I was excited and didn't expect him coming)
Ronaldo

All goes to shite overnight, literally.

With Veron at least it was clear he's still a great player that just don't suit our style. With the above... I don't even know how they can be so bad overnight.

We have the anti midas touch
I mean some of these didn't go to shite overnight though.

BFS - Had massively declined already, not at all the same situation as Casemiro
Di Maria - Was actually good until he fell out with the manager and got homesick.
Zlatan - Including Zlatan is baffling, he got 28 goals in his first season. Not really sure what else you would have expected?
Varane (I swear I was excited and didn't expect him coming) - Yeah this one is fair, no idea what's happened to him.
Ronaldo - He's been on a steady decline for a couple of years. He caused the same "issues" at Juventus, where the team had to change their style to accommodate him. The warning signs were there before he joined.

TheReligion

Abusive
How'd you come to that conclusion? Clearly if we had a coherent strategy with the profile of player identified and through the door before pre season, that would be infinitely better. Both doing nothing and panic buying at this stage are equally as bad imo.
So with 13 days left in the window we look to be signing the best DM in the world.

Someone who can compete with Rodri, Fabinho, Kante…

Someone who massively upgrades on Mctominay..

Yet we aren’t happy and want to complain :lol:

Samawoodo

Supports
Real Madrid
Many hoped Varane was one
To be fair, Real fans didn’t expect Varane performance in MU. Was very disappointing.

He was a very good football player, but with Sergio Ramos to his side. Ramos was the true Real defense chief.

But don’t be afraid, is not the same with Casemiro, who is a chief by himself and make play better the other midfielders around him.

As I said before, he is a monster.

Best regards!

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
So with 13 days left in the window we look to be signing the best DM in the world.

We've looked to be signing among the best players in their respective positions for years now and not one has improved since they signed for us. Not one.

But yeah, let's ignore the evidence and just be eternally happy and hopeful :lol:

bringbackbebe

So better not sign any more players, gotcha
This deal reeks of desperation rather than a carefully planned move - not something a decently run club will do. At his age, he should be no where near 60m. However, he will improve us none the less and since the money goes out of Glazer's dividends, I frankly don't care of the financials of the deal.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Like it or not, age is a genuine concern, especially when our own transfer policy and strategy has been so erratic. His profile of player was not even on our list of transfer targets this summer.

Real Madrid have brought suitable replacements for Casemiro over the past couple of windows. Maybe because they forsee his decline happening relatively soon which, if it does happen in the next year, means we are stuck with another declining player on high wages and on a long term contract who we can't shift off to another club.
It has nothing to do with liking it or not, the reality of the matter is that outside of injuries top players do not magically turn into pumpkins at 30 and there is a plethora of recent references at the top level to support it, players that drop at 30 among top players are the exception not the norm.

As for Real Madrid, they currently have a 36 years old midfielder that has played his best football in his 30s, they mainly brought younger midfielders because they lacked depth and they bought Tchouaméni this summer because they couldn't sign Mbappé anymore and he was a player they wanted for the future, it had nothing to do with Casemiro imminently regressing.

MinGin

Every transfer is a risk but somewhat limited if its a younger player who has time to develop. Caciedo has performed well for his national team and so far in the EPL. Madrid took a gamble on Vinicius and he took a few years to come good but look at him now. All the top teams are taking bets on younger talent as the upside is high but downside limited as they will have resale value. A package for Caciedo at 40m and lets say wages of 80k is inifinitley cheaper than Casemiro at 60m and wages of 350k+. Even if Caciedo flopped, we could likely sell him for 20-30m in a few years whereas Casemiro has no resale value. If he flops or declines, we are stuck with a liability on the financial side and on the field.
Do we have a few year to let him develop when we are in relegation area and played shite in those 2 games?
You need a well-built already and run well already team to develop potential and prospective players, not to throw them under our situation and hope their ability value explosion from 60/99 to 80~99/99 to save us.

RepardReece

Said it at the time and I'll say it again; no centre back is going to look good in front of De Gea unless we defend incredibly deep.
And McFred ahead.

I believe on average we conceded fewer goals last season when he was playing compared to when he wasn't anyway, or at least that was the case halfway through the season.

largelyworried

That's not a good way to build a squad. We don't need short term solutions, we need long term ones. We have a new coach, so why not bring in younger players who can build into his style of play. We already brought in an older midfielder in Eriksen, so why bring in another one. We are clearly not challenging for the title in the next 3 years, so why bring in an older expensive option. Rather the younger players, even if it takes them a season or two to settle. We need to bed in a style, consistently make top 4 and then start thinking of challenging for the title. Even Madrid who like to splash cash, decided to go younger to rebuild their midfield. After selling us Varane, another expensive older recruit who turns out to have injury issues, we want to make the mistake again? PSG seem to have woken up and changed their transfer policy towards younger players, we're still the only mugs in town. We are going to wreck this club financially by having these older players on high wages.
Firstly, if you think that ETH will be given a couple of seasons of performing at a low level by the fans, press and Board, I'd say you're being extremely optimistic. Look at the reaction after just two games. He has to show significant progress this season or the pressure will be immense. Missing out on top 4 would only be accepted if he did so with a very high points tally. This season looks particularly competitive, with Spurs and Arsenal both looking the best they've been in a while, and Chelsea, City and Liverpool not looking to have moved backwards. Since 6th place would probably see him gone, short term solutions are essential, or we'll be back at square one next summer with another new boss. Whoever comes in has to be ready to contribute this season.

Anyway, it's false to imply that short and long term solutions are mutually exclusive. You need both. In an ideal world, you have a mix of hungry young players and older, experienced winners in the squad. We have neither, in midfield anyway, so we have little choice than to solve both these problems in the transfer market at once. Good squad building is about the balance between the current and the future. You can’t neglect one at the expense of the other, either way round.

TheReligion

Abusive
We've looked to be signing among the best players in their respective positions for years now and not one has improved since they signed for us. Not one.

But yeah, let's ignore the evidence and just be eternally happy and hopeful :lol:
Who have we signed that less than 6 months ago won the CL and bossed it? I mean the opposition was even Liverpool…

I understand people have reservations about literally everything the club does currently. If we signed Endrick there would be replies saying ‘we will make him shit’, ‘I would tell him not to come here’ etc.

It’s kind of boring wallowing in self pity.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We still have shite owners, a shite team, we are sitting bottom of the league, conceded 6 goals and only an own goal to our name but yes... a desperation signing 2 weeks before the window ends makes everything better :D
Arnautovic is a panic buy, Casemiro is a fecking masterstroke.

Idxomer

Put McT in that Madrid team he'll do just fine.

It's easier to play good when you're surrounded by class players who knows what they're doing.

Ours on the other hand, can make world class look amateurish
Nonsense.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson

It's bonkers. Paying pretty much the same for AWB and people are moaning

If this was an 18 year old from South America with no 1st team appearances, people would no doubt be delighted

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’m guessing Edemilson, Thiago Motta(switched to Italy) Emerson( Roma one) Maicon, Dani Alves, Cafu, Gilberto Silva, Thiago Silva, Fernandinho, Lucio aren’t all Brazilians. They all played at a high level past their 30s but go ahead and make up stuff. This is a great signing, best DM in the world and adds balance and protection to the team.
Is my memory fooling me or was Mr difficult personality also pretty decent in his 30s?

AdNani

Whatever about previous years, that's a misread of which current issues are more pressing than others.

Our current, first principle problems are in possession. We struggle to keep it under pressure, we lose it in the wrong areas, we struggle to play from the back and we struggle to progress the ball up the pitch. From that you get bad turnovers and struggles to deal with transitions, which is the secondary problem. But with us placing even more emphasis on possession with our choice of manager, those first principle problems have increased even more in importance.

The Brentford game highlighted the point perfectly. Our issues weren't in dealing with transitions, it was (as Toney said) our inability to deal with being pressed. "We knew the high press would effect them, and it did".

FDJ would have done more to address that primary problem, by offering a press-resistant and progressive option in that deeper midfield position. Casemiro doesn't. He addresses a secondary problem, which is how we cope in some situations once possession has already been lost.

Which is great. But if another team tries to do what Brentford does and press us in those areas, it doesn't help us much. There's a reason ETH's primary target was FDJ and a secondary target a ball playing CB. He knew getting more ability in possession in those areas was a priority.
No doubt we have issues in dealing with being pressed in possession, and De Jong would of absolutely helped, I still think we need another midfielder, but i think our CB's are far too often left so exposed it's painful.

Casemiro is actually good on the ball and while not being De Jong, he's comfortable in possession. and a big upgrade on Mctom/Fred

I'll be fecking amazed if this happens. An actual world class defensive mid is coming to our club and he's not a total crock.

Watch players like Varane, Lindelof, Martinez and Fred go up a few gears too.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
How'd you come to that conclusion? Clearly if we had a coherent strategy with the profile of player identified and through the door before pre season, that would be infinitely better. Both doing nothing and panic buying at this stage are equally as bad imo.
Do you really think buying him or not buying him are equally bad??

So rather than have perhaps the best DM in the world in our team, we may as well just stick with McFred to fill our DM void?

Also, ETH identified the player he wanted in FdJ – but if the transfer doesn't not happen for whatever the reason, should he then just ignore anyone else who is available? It seems like you are saying if we don't get who we initially wanted we should just sulk and not buy anyone. Or be miserable with anyone we are linked with and potentially sign.

Hughie77

If he comes let's hope he doesn't just mope about for the cash. Brazilian international so has to perform for World cup. Let's see if it happens .

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
fair play :lol:

although in my defense, I said “improbable“ and not “impossible” :D
I must admit i did consider to make a thread called "who will we be linked with tomorrow?", but decided against it, since i never make threads.
So fair to say i totally shared your thoughts :lol:

JB7

And McFred ahead.

I believe on average we conceded fewer goals last season when he was playing compared to when he wasn't anyway, or at least that was the case halfway through the season.
Oh there's no denying the quality he has, though he didn't adjust well and had some poor games but at lot of that can be put down to not staying fit as obviously centre backs tend to need a run of games to get their form back. He is used to playing in front of a dominant goalkeeper though and we have the opposite of that. I like Maguire more than most on here but you have to imagine if Rafa can stay fit we'll get a run of Martinez-Varane which on paper seems to cover all bases.
Does anybody know when he needs to be signed for to play vs Liverpool? Given our game is on Monday, does the 12pm (today) cut off still apply?

It seems journalists don't even know.
I thought so, it was certainly the case a couple of years ago that it was 12pm the day before that weekends fixtures started.

Nights

Casemiro-Fred for Brazil

15/17 games win
13 clean sheets
Exactly. He’s already very familiar with Fred and Varane who’ll no doubt help him settle. Hopefully the signing will have the added bonus of allowing Fred to play where he’s most effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.