Casemiro

dinostar77

Makelele was better at defensive technique to take the ball away, speed and stamina but not necessarily at positioning. Casemiro's stellar performances in 2016 and 2022 CL finals put him ahead for me. Although in defense of Makelele he had to play in a more unbalanced side. In whatever case it was a different era and Makelele had a relatively short career at Real Madrid too, from 2000-01 until 2002-03, just 3 seasons, so it's hard to compare.

My personal picks are Fernando Redondo first, Casemiro second and Makelele third.
Makelele was probably the most important cog of that galactico team. As zidane said when makelele was sold "you cant drive a ferrari without wheels". They didnt win anything for a season orntwo without him right?

Redondo was a superb player. Personally i dont know where to rate casemiro. Despite his numerous CL appearances with Madrid im not sure whether playing with kroos and modric elevates him higher than he really should be rated. Hes the workhorse in that midfield.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
To be honest I don't understand why the Madrid fans in this forum love Redondo so much, he was obviously exceptional but was he that good, I just don't see it.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Makelele was probably the most important cog of that galactico team. As zidane said when makelele was sold "you cant drive a ferrari without wheels". They didnt win anything for a season orntwo without him right?

Redondo was a superb player. Personally i dont know where to rate casemiro. Despite his numerous CL appearances with Madrid im not sure whether playing with kroos and modric elevates him higher than he really should be rated. Hes the workhorse in that midfield.
Real Madrid played the best football of the decade the same year Makelele left. That lasted as long as the players had enough energy. However, that squad was unbalanced in some positions and lacked depth due to the excess of youngsters so that level of football could not be sustained in the last part of the season.

Queiroz pointed out at the 3 Ms, Milito-Makelele-Morientes to explain the problems he had, but I would also add Raul's very severe decline to the mix.

The absence of Makelele was important of course, but that does not mean he was the most important player in the team. A proper configuration of the squad would have been enough to avoid further problems. With this I don't mean to say he was not a great player or that Florentino didn't make a big mistake by selling him. Let's say if had signed Xabi Alonso from Real Sociedad and kept Morientes quite likely many of the problems the team had would have been avoided.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Real Madrid played the best football of the decade the same year Makelele left. That lasted as long as the players had enough energy. However, that squad was unbalanced in some positions and lacked depth due to the excess of youngsters so that level of football could not be sustained in the last part of the season.

Queiroz pointed out at the 3 Ms, Milito-Makelele-Morientes to explain the problems he had, but I would also add Raul's very severe decline to the mix.

The absence of Makelele was important of course, but that does not mean he was the most important player in the team. A proper configuration of the squad would have been enough to avoid further problems. With this I don't mean to say he was not a great player or that Florentino didn't make a big mistake by selling him. Let's say if had signed Xabi Alonso from Real Sociedad and kept Morientes quite likely many of the problems the team had would have been avoided.
This. Also not sure Queiroz was quite up to the job either.

Then you have 04/05 where Flo decided the manager just didn't matter, the team got old and nearly uncoachable(Roberto Carlos had started to seriously decline and that season started to look finished. Helguera was our best CB. Salgado was basically Carvajal...we kept signing CBs like Woodgate :lol: or Walter Samuel to play a high line - insert facepalm emoji - Figo, Zidane, Ronaldo, Raul, still world class on their day but simply didn't have the legs to sustain that over a full season anymore...and they were allowed to do whatever they wanted, showing up to training soused, getting unfit, etc)

GlasgowCeltic

He is a better passer of the ball than Makelele and can shoot from distance. His tackling, interception and positioning may be half a level below Makelele. Overall I'd pick Casemiro since he suits a team that both dominates possession and a team that is conceding possession but has to counter-attack cleanly with an aim of achieving a high conversion rate.
Always felt Casemiro could get 10 goals a season if he moved further forward with his shooting