Casey Stoney

Grande

So at the moment, Man Utd Women FC is one person in face, and that is Casey Stoney. And undoubtedly, she will have a big impact on what kind of team this United will be - and even set a tone for the next coaches to follow.

So who is she? As a coach, as a team builder, as a leader, but also as a person, as a former player? Is she a leader by example like Roy Keane (heaven forbid)? Is she a grumpy and defensive narcissist like Jose Mourinho (just kidding (well, somewhat))? I she a team father/mother like Sir Alex (will she ragingly kick boots in faces)? Is she even a Scot (no)? Does she fancy kids like Busby and Fergie (and not like Arsene)? Will she live in Salford or in a hotel (or both, Gary Neville’s)? Or will she be nothing like these male predecessors, a woman in her own rights, with her own ideas?

I like the sound of her ideas, though:

But I’d like to know more, anything, like, how did she become an MBE?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
https://www.metro.news/manchester-u...ey-keen-to-emulate-sir-alex-ferguson/1108094/

‘I’m looking forward to a great career at Manchester United,’ she said.

‘I’d love to be the Sir Alex Ferguson of the women’s game and make sure we build something really special and be there for years and years to come.

‘This isn’t a one-year project, this is a three-to-five-year (project), and further than that.

‘We want to challenge at the top of women’s football and get Manchester United to where it should be.’

Grande

RedPamie

How much is your experience going to help you?
“I’ve learnt so much throughout the years of playing, I’ve played 18 years of international football, I’ve been at so many different clubs under so many different coaches and managers.

I’ve coached for 17 years because when I was growing up you had to have a job, so my job the whole time was coaching at the teams I was working at. So I’ve learnt so much, loads of positive experiences and the negatives, and even when you have negatives I feel that it’s an opportunity to learn. How would I have done it differently? And I won’t ever forget those lessons, good and bad I’ll take them with me on my journey.”
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...rst-interview-on-arrival-at-manchester-united

While the 36-year-old’s managerial experience is limited to a brief spell as player-manager at Chelsea in 2009, she has slowly worked her way through her coaching badges, has led training sessions with development teams at Liverpool – where she ended her playing career – and has been vital to Phil Neville as an assistant coach in his first few months in charge of the Lionesses.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ester-united-womens-side-casey-stoney-manager

:drool:

As for personality, some young players in England team called her "Case" in social media, so she's popular maybe among young players? Although I don't think her players now will call her "Case" :)

Grande

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...rst-interview-on-arrival-at-manchester-united

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ester-united-womens-side-casey-stoney-manager

:drool:

As for personality, some young players in England team called her "Case" in social media, so she's popular maybe among young players? Although I don't think her players now will call her "Case" :)
Case as in Head Case or Basket Case? :P

I’m assuming it will tak a few years for her to make her own experience and a brand new team come together.

Ashley R1+O

You expect someone who is called Casey to be american.
One for the weird feelings of football thread. I read it as 'Casey Stoner' at first and wondered why the hell the Caf had a thread on an Australian MotoGP champion in the football forum.

Grande

Why is Casey Stoney a Member of The Order of The British Empire?

Found it. For services to football. Along with not too many other women in football: Rachel Yankey, Kelly Smith, Karen Carney, Steph Houghton, Alex Scott and Debbie Bampton, from what l could find.

Crazy phenomenon, these titles, but this is high praise indeed:

http://www.thefa.com/news/2015/jun/12/casey-stoney-mbe-queen-birthday-honours-frank-lampard-obe

And a conspicuous amount of former Arsenal players in that list.

RedPamie

CASEY STONEY IS RIGHT FOR MANCHESTER UNITED AND WHAT COMES NEXT

https://www.ourgamemag.com/2018/06/...ht-for-manchester-united-and-what-comes-next/

When Casey Stoney arrived for her first England camp in a non-playing role alongside Phil Neville earlier this year, there were no jokes and no banter aimed at the defender who amassed 130 caps over a 17-year international career.

It was an example of the respect Stoney had of her teammates that the strangest thing the players had to get used to was Stoney’s blue coaching kit compared to the red polo shirts donned by the players.
Very good article about our head coach. We also can find interesting bits about her competition for the job and recruitment news in it. I can't wait for us to start this journey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grande

CASEY STONEY IS RIGHT FOR MANCHESTER UNITED AND WHAT COMES NEXT

https://www.ourgamemag.com/2018/06/...ht-for-manchester-united-and-what-comes-next/

Very good article about our head coach. We also can find interesting bits about her competition for the job and recruitment news in it. I can't wait for us to start this journey.
That’s interesting. She certainly seems to have impressed a lot of people behind the scenes over the years. How she took over as player/manager at Chelsea at 28 is fairly impressive.

Grande

She comes across as absolutely perfect for us
We haven’t had a leader with that mindset at United since Fergie. Forget Woodward, Moyes, Van Gaal and Mou. Fergie thought according to himself as he came to the club: I must understand this club and it’s history, and thus I must understand Matt Busby and his legacy. It takes a big personality to be a leader and still think line that. Atkinson, Sexton and Dochery didn’t really dare do that, but Casey Stoney has that mindset. Based on what I know by now only, I’d give her six years and see where we end up.

RedPamie

Brilliant article about her again :

Premium article but you can get access one article per week for a free account.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedPamie

She's at Grassroots Football Awards today.

And this from a few days ago

RedPamie

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ines-vision-for-manchester-united-womens-team

For the newly-appointed manager of the relaunched Manchester United Women team, the city of Liverpool had been the place she called home until recently. But Casey Stoney realised pretty quickly this needed to change. "I'm moving," Stoney tells Sky Sports. "Going home at night in a Manchester United kit does not go down that well in Liverpool."
:lol:

We have gone young for a reason because it is a project that we are doing over five, six or seven years. It is not one year. So there is no pressure there from above to win promotion in the first year.

"I feel that the U10 who comes in should be able to see that pathway right through to the first team. There is no reason why it should not be achievable.

"We have already brought six back who had left because there was no women's team. We had two that played for the first team the other week who had come through the development team."

And the article also talks about her experience as coach player at Chelsea, interesting!

Last edited:

RedPamie

Lots of articles this week ahead of our game vs Liverpool.

Grande

Foley

I don't have any great insights, but I went to school with Casey (Runwell County Primary, in Wickford, Essex) from approx 1986 - 1992, so thought people might be interested in what I remember about her...

She was definitely the only girl who played football with the boys, whilst the others were all doing girly stuff like handstands and making daisy chains :) As far as I remember she was always accepted by the lads without question, probably because she was better than most of us! She was always quite tall, slim and athletic.

I have one very clear distinct memory of her being in goal and pulling off a great double-save to stop me scoring twice in quick succession (I'd guess we were about 8 or 9 at that time).

I wasn't in the school football team myself, but I do remember it being run by the caretaker, 'Mr R.' (short for Robinson). I remember seeing an interview with her a few years back where she gave him a lot of credit for making sure she was able to be part of that team, and how important that was to her success (which was lovely to read!).

I didn't realise who Casey was until I saw her playing for England some years back, and something just clicked in the back of my mind. I've tried to follow her career since then, and was absolutely chuffed when she got the Utd job.

Reactions: jojojo